Xtra day in Machu Picchu or Cusco?

bellagirl

I think we have everything planned,but we were offered the option of spending an xtra day in either place or both places. If we were to only choose one, which would you pick and why?

We are already looking at 2 nights in Cusco,so should we do a third? If we choose not to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge(and from the cost, I don't think we will),is there anything to do the second day in Agua Calientes ( think that's the nearest town to MP).

Thanks to all who respond. Shelly:)

I think we have everything planned,but we were offered the option of spending an xtra day in either place or both places. If we were to only choose one, which would you pick and why?

We are already looking at 2 nights in Cusco,so should we do a third? If we choose not to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge(and from the cost, I don't think we will),is there anything to do the second day in Agua Calientes ( think that's the nearest town to MP).

We spent just one night in Agua Caliente. We went up to MP the first afternoon and left when it started to rain. we went back again early (7 am) the next morning and spent several hours in MP watching the fog roll in and out before coming down for lunch and the return train.

You will need your first day in Cusco to get adjusted to the altitude. We took several side trips (Sacsayhuaman, Sacred Valley, etc).

videos at http://www.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=F964F6A7E3826865

You don't say whether you're planning on taking tours out of Cusco. There are several. The town itself you can see in a day, as I recall. How much time you spend in MP is very individual, including whether you'll do any hiking out of the main site, even up to the top of the peak next to the ruins (I did, and found it worthwhile, but it wasn't easy). I only had one night, back in 1994, so I splurged and stayed at the hotel next to the ruins, rather than Aguas Calientes down in the valley, which was great for me, since I could take advantage of an evening flashlight tour, and also see the sunrise through the "observatory" and walk through the ruins with peace and quiet before the busses from AC arrived. AC was, of course, affected by the floods, so I'd verify what you can do there now (e.g., tours). Cusco was picturesque and, to the surprise of many, higher in elevation than MP. Lots of good restaurants. We went to one meat restaurant, and my wife and a friend asked for something "typical," so the waiters brought out grilled guinea pig (popular in Peru). The two women gasped in surprise, and the waiters were surprised.

We did similiar to Dileep; 1 night at Agua Caliante at the Inka Terra Lodge, which had a spa, 2 sanctuaries etc and was very nice. We were going to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge, but our friends stayed there about a month before us and said due to fog , could not see MP outside their window, so we saved a few bucks. We got up early the second day and went to MP to watch the early morning clouds disappear from the mountains (very exciting). PS my dw liked a flea market in AG were we bought some gifts.

We went to one meat restaurant, and my wife and a friend asked for something "typical," so the waiters brought out grilled guinea pig (popular in Peru). The two women gasped in surprise, and the waiters were surprised.

"Cuy" (guinea pig) is the national dish of Peru. It and alpaca are served all over Peru, but alpaca more in the Cusco/Puno region. As they always say "tastes like chicken" (I don't eat it).

OP

If you have the option to spend an extra night in Cusco, IMHO, that's what you should do. There are many many places to go outside Cusco which are only a short car or bus ride away-Chincheros, Pisac (don't miss the market), Ollaytaytambo, all the places in the Sacred Valley-interesting textile places, ruins, interesting farm products and farming methods. A full day in itself. Enjoy!!!

There are many options and choices - depends on your priorities. Ours were Inca ruins. We did two nights in Sacred Valley (Urubamba) to see the ruins in Pisac and Ollantaytambo, then one night at the Sanctuary Lodge because we wanted to maximize our time at Machu Picchu. We had a total of ten hours wandering and touring MP and it was magnificent. The weather cooperated - we had low hanging clouds the first morning (9-noonish), vivid sun and long shadows that afternoon (3-5), a clear sun rise (6-8) and a perfect late morning/noon finale. Needless to say the number of photos is staggering! We then got to Cusco quite late and the next day had a full day tour of the sites within and outside the city. Flew out the following noon. Absolutely perfect for us - - others might want to shift the focus to something else.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We are touring Ollaytumbo,the Sacred Valley,Pisac,the Nazca lines,in addition to Cusco and MP. I think we have decided to spend the xtra amount of time in or near Cusco. I don't think we will regret it! Thanks again! Shelly:)

Shelly,

Are you doing an organized tour in Peru? If so, which one?

Thanks

As I have posted many times, you can do MP on your own. IMHO, the tours are "too fast" and you have a good chance of getting altitude sickness. The organized tours fly you into Cusco, take you to a hotel, let you rest for a couple of hours, then start dragging you around to various sites walking and climbing through the ruins. THAT is too much-you body has not acclimated. IF you live in Colorado or at an altitude about 5,000 feet, you may be OK. Most in the USA don't live at altitude and AMS becomes a BIG problem.

The organized tours often put you up in "substandard" tourist class hotels. The hotels are NOT ones you would pick yourself. And they often overcharge by 100's of dollars for something you could do better and at your own pace yourself.

All decent hotels in Cusco will send a car to pick you up at the airport-some free, some a small charge.

It is easy to do a MP trip yourself. PLUS you learn a lot more about the area and what it has to offer because you had to do the research to put the trip together. Enjoy!!!!

We are considering doing Peru for less but doing air on our own. Their package consists of everything we would like to do incl. nazca lines and the sacred valley. The hotels offered seem fine. Shelly

As I have posted many times, you can do MP on your own. IMHO, the tours are "too fast" and you have a good chance of getting altitude sickness. The organized tours fly you into Cusco, take you to a hotel, let you rest for a couple of hours, then start dragging you around to various sites walking and climbing through the ruins. THAT is too much-you body has not acclimated. IF you live in Colorado or at an altitude about 5,000 feet, you may be OK. Most in the USA don't live at altitude and AMS becomes a BIG problem.

The organized tours often put you up in "substandard" tourist class hotels. The hotels are NOT ones you would pick yourself. And they often overcharge by 100's of dollars for something you could do better and at your own pace yourself.

All decent hotels in Cusco will send a car to pick you up at the airport-some free, some a small charge.

It is easy to do a MP trip yourself. PLUS you learn a lot more about the area and what it has to offer because you had to do the research to put the trip together. Enjoy!!!!

I totally agree! It is VERY easy and much less expensive to plan a Peru trip on your own. And yes, it is always advised to get out of Cusco at the beginning of your trip so that you don't get altitude sickness. We stayed in Ollantaytambo (sp?) for 2 nights (LOVED IT) and then took the train to Aguas Calliente and spent one night there (2 days at Machu Picchu). We returned to Cusco for 3 nights and then 1 night in Lima. Peru and the people living there are great, and prices are some of the lowest we've seen in our travels all over the world.

I totally agree! It is VERY easy and much less expensive to plan a Peru trip on your own. And yes, it is always advised to get out of Cusco at the beginning of your trip so that you don't get altitude sickness. We stayed in Ollantaytambo (sp?) for 2 nights (LOVED IT) and then took the train to Aguas Calliente and spent one night there (2 days at Machu Picchu). We returned to Cusco for 3 nights and then 1 night in Lima. Peru and the people living there are great, and prices are some of the lowest we've seen in our travels all over the world.

Check the Casa Andina hotel chain. They have hotels in all the places you want to go at several price levels. Their Private Collection hotels are outstanding. Reserve on their 800 number and you can ask for a discount if you are staying at their hotels for the whole trip. www.casa-andina.com

Mind if I ask which company you booked with and when you'll be going?

We are going in August and I have a gazillion questions :confused:

I saw my doctor a couple of days ago to get some info on Diamox for the AMS. I still need to find out about any extra immunizations we might need...and then there's THE PACKING!!!!!! :eek:

I'd really appreciate any info you could share with me :D

THANKS!!!

Brenda

Mind if I ask which company you booked with and when you'll be going?

We are going in August and I have a gazillion questions :confused:

I saw my doctor a couple of days ago to get some info on Diamox for the AMS. I still need to find out about any extra immunizations we might need...and then there's THE PACKING!!!!!! :eek:

I'd really appreciate any info you could share with me :D

THANKS!!!

Brenda

Diamox is a diuretic and you will pee A LOT (which can be VERY inconvenient in certain places in Peru) . It is also pricey in the USA but very cheap in Peru. In Cusco, it is under $15.00 US for a bottle of 30. It is also a sulfa drug and if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, you cannot take it. Unless you are going to the Amazon (where you should get a YF vaccination), you really need at least hep A and should get hep B plus update for tetanus. IF you are entering Peru from YF endemic areas, you need a YF vaccination.

I stand by my recommendation to start drinking coca tea the MINUTE you get off the plane. There are a couple of kiosks in the airport parking lot at the back that sell both tea and coca leaves (you chew them-they taste nasty but beats getting AMS). Keep drinking it about hourly for the first three days. You should be fine.

We are going in Sept. We had never had the hep A or B shots so we got them, as well as a boster tetanus and polio. From what I have read as long as you stay around Cusco area and don't go to the Amazon region you don't need the yellow fever shot. Be sure to remember that Peru charges a departure tax on both national and international flights that must be paid in cash.

Be sure to remember that Peru charges a departure tax on both national and international flights that must be paid in cash.

Check your US airline tickets. SOME airlines INCLUDE the international departure tax in the price. SOME don't. AA/Delta generally do. LAN does on some flights. You will have to get out the ticket RECEIPT with the complete breakdown of fees to find out if your tax is prepaid or not.

If the tax is prepaid, you will be given a card to show to the first security person (who checks to look for the tax receipt) so you can avoid standing in line. A lot of the airline check in agents will not offer the card-you must ask IF you know the tax is prepaid.

IF you just assume you have not paid the tax, you will get charged twice. The tax line people will not say you have prepaid. They have no way to know. They will just charge you again.

You will always pay the tax for intra Peru flights. Peruvian tour companies without very good connections to the USA always tell everyone they have to pay, as they don't realize some US airlines INCLUDE the tax.

Diamox is a diuretic and you will pee A LOT (which can be VERY inconvenient in certain places in Peru) . It is also pricey in the USA but very cheap in Peru. In Cusco, it is under $15.00 US for a bottle of 30. It is also a sulfa drug and if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, you cannot take it. Unless you are going to the Amazon (where you should get a YF vaccination), you really need at least hep A and should get hep B plus update for tetanus. IF you are entering Peru from YF endemic areas, you need a YF vaccination.

I stand by my recommendation to start drinking coca tea the MINUTE you get off the plane. There are a couple of kiosks in the airport parking lot at the back that sell both tea and coca leaves (you chew them-they taste nasty but beats getting AMS). Keep drinking it about hourly for the first three days. You should be fine.

We just came back and our guide had an excellent recommendation for AMS. We were a little light headed on arrival at Cusco. Our guide in Cusco recommended two things: coca tea and about 5 minutes of preventive oxygen when you get to your hotel. All our hotels had oxygen on request. We sat at the lounge drinking coca tea while they brought the tank out. We each had a short 5 minute session to restore the O2 levels in the blood and that was plenty. No further effects. Of course, we took it very easy the first day in Cusco.

On the departure taxes. Peru has increased the international departure tax to US$31. Domestic departure fees to US$7. Those are exact amounts and are posted in the fee collectors windows. An equivalent amount in Soles is posted too in case you want to use them up. (Can't remember how much in soles.)

Diamox is a diuretic and you will pee A LOT (which can be VERY inconvenient in certain places in Peru) . .

Good point. The restroom facilities in some areas are not the best. Women should be sure to carry a purse-size pack of tissues since there is often not any toilet paper. Also, be sure not to flush the toilet paper -- it goes in the little wastebasket next to the toilet (yes, kinda gross) because the local plumbing cannot handle it.

We just came back and our guide had an excellent recommendation for AMS. We were a little light headed on arrival at Cusco. Our guide in Cusco recommended two things: coca tea and about 5 minutes of preventive oxygen when you get to your hotel. All our hotels had oxygen on request. We sat at the lounge drinking coca tea while they brought the tank out. We each had a short 5 minute session to restore the O2 levels in the blood and that was plenty. No further effects. Of course, we took it very easy the first day in Cusco.

On the departure taxes. Peru has increased the international departure tax to US$31. Domestic departure fees to US$7. Those are exact amounts and are posted in the fee collectors windows. An equivalent amount in Soles is posted too in case you want to use them up. (Can't remember how much in soles.)

What tour company did you go with? We are booked through OAT .

I'll have to check my paperwork to see if they've included the taxes. We start our trip in Peru but fly back home from Equador.

Did the coca tea bother your stomach? Our friend said the effects of the tea (bad belly :)) were worse than the light-headedness. Maybe it was becasue he drank too much of it?!

I've also heard that you need to take aspirin and pepto bismol about every 4 hrs to prevent the headaches and stomach issues. Did they recommend this to you?

thanks!

Brenda

Diamox is a diuretic and you will pee A LOT (which can be VERY inconvenient in certain places in Peru) .

How odd that a diuretic would be recommended! My doc did tell me to drink LOTS of water and to take in more sodium than usual. Drink more just to pee more?:confused:

LasVegas, Let us know if you have any trouble going from Peru to Ecuador. Some people on this thread have said in Ecuador the custom's people sometimes have issues about people coming from Peru without the yf shot. Really don't want to have to get it. So let us know what happens. From what I have been able to find out you only need the yellow fever shot if you are going around the Amazon and if only going to MP the shot is not needed.

LasVegas, Let us know if you have any trouble going from Peru to Ecuador. Some people on this thread have said in Ecuador the custom's people sometimes have issues about people coming from Peru without the yf shot. Really don't want to have to get it. So let us know what happens. From what I have been able to find out you only need the yellow fever shot if you are going around the Amazon and if only going to MP the shot is not needed.

Our docs state that no specific vaccinations are required for entry into the countries on our itinerary...but we are not going to the Amazon.

They do recommend bug spray with 30-35% DEET.

You may both want to read through this thread, paying particular attention to Marazul's extremely eloquent post about why to get the YF vaccination or the YF waiver. Rules change, immigration agents change, YF outbreaks happen at the drop of a hat. This year, it hasn't been too bad. BUT that does not preclude an immigration officer asking for the yellow card. The RULES state that those going between Ecuador and Peru can be subject to checks for YF vaccination. Yes, the rules are supposed to apply to "endemic" areas. Who decides what is an "endemic" area-the CDC with their little maps or the immigration officers in a specific country??? You know who it is.

I am a big believer in getting the vaccination or waiver if medically you cannot get the vaccination. As I post so frequently on this subject, you don't want to impact your FUTURE travels.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1009740&highlight=yellow+fever

How odd that a diuretic would be recommended! My doc did tell me to drink LOTS of water and to take in more sodium than usual. Drink more just to pee more?:confused:

Thin dry air dehydrates you very fast. And a diuretic is what is needed as AMS can actually turn into brain swelling in it's severest form-cerebral edema.

Here are a couple of pretty good articles about AMS/altitude sickness. While the chances of having a cerebral edema in Cusco/MP are pretty small, there have been instances when they have had to drag climbers off Wayna Picchu (about 10,000 feet) suffering cerebral edema. Again, too high, too fast. Fly into Cusco and rush to MP the next day-then climb Wayna Picchu which is definitely a physical exertion best left to the extremely fit 20 somethings.

http://www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness.php

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/altitude.htm

I like the 5 minutes of oxygen Marazul posted. I have never heard of the remedy or tried it but it makes sense. I have the most trouble with AMS at night-can't sleep and am always cold. DH got it really bad in 2008-he spent 3 days in the hotel almost screaming with a headache. Of course, he wouldn't drink the tea either. He got oxygen, but it was too late to do much good.

As for the coca tea-I suppose if you have a nervous stomach, coca tea could further aggravate the situation. I have never had a problem and I drink a lot of it.

When I first arrive in Cusco, after I drink a couple cups at the airport, I make a concentrated pot of tea at my hotel. Then I dump out 1/2 bottle of water and add the concentrate. I am a big iced tea fan (probably drink almost a 1/2 gallon daily), so I just use the coca tea as my ice tea minus ice. I don't mind the taste-tastes more like cheap green tea than anything to me. Chewing the leaves is a whole different ballgame. The taste is NASTY. BUT if you feel AMS coming on, it sure solves the problem quick.

Never heard of the Pepto Bismal-I suppose for upset stomach from eating the food/drinking the water. DO NOT drink the water-even to brush your teeth. And eat at places recommended by guide books or others. Stay away from street food other than the empanadas in the Pisac market.

Aspirin for the headache associated with AMS, I guess. Every 4 hours without a headache would be a lot of aspirin and could sure irritate your stomach.

Archived