new policy on Paradise regarding stowed liquor

Just back from the weekend from the Paradise where our liquor was confiscated. A little depressing, mostly because we were caught. So the first day we spent a small fortune on bought drinks from the bars. They have a new scanner that has a computer program which sees bottles and the such that hold said liquor. No worries though. We were able to get enough of the good stuff the next day in Ensenada and no one cared. No hiding was necessary as we just had in our pockets or purse. This only makes you wonder why they are so strict now with liquor being brought on in checked luggage. We did however bring a cooler stuffed with water, juices in cans and they didn't even inspect it. A little inconsistent, to say the least.

Iv been telling them I talked to a supervisor of security at New Orleans who says all ports have the xrays like mentioned on CC in Miami. They CAN see all your liquor. Its a different color on the xray. They can even see beer in a pepsi case. you arent fooling anyone.. people who arent stopped assume security cant see it ... think again. Of course they can, so they can see if you have explosives. They are TSA trained I was told.

Its not new. Stopping a little bit here and there of the smuggling is what is new.

Iv been telling them I talked to a supervisor of security at New Orleans who says all ports have the xrays like mentioned on CC in Miami. They CAN see all your liquor. Its a different color on the xray. They can even see beer in a pepsi case. you arent fooling anyone.. people who arent stopped assume security cant see it ... think again. Of course they can, so they can see if you have explosives. They are TSA trained I was told.

Its not new. Stopping a little bit here and there of the smuggling is what is new.

So...basically ...it's a lottery :eek:

She said really they are concentrating on things that would hurt you, not on smuggling, which they pretty much ignore, unless Carnival tells them to step it up.

She told me people think its like a airplane and they can just declare a gun and board, but you can't. Even cops think they can board with a gun ... security mainly concentrates on what will hurt cruisers.. if they were trying to stop smuggling, they could find a whole lot more in the luggage than they do now.

The confiscated booze was in my checked luggage that I gave to a porter. I prefer not to smuggle it at all, but with each drink being more than 8 dollars, I am just trying to save a few bucks.

I meant to mention that this time I cruised I saw a new scanner at the pier. It was a van with a special scanner and an armed guard standing by. So maybe they are really cracking down on embarkation. I took this same exact cruise 6 weeks prior and a lots of things had noticeably changed, including the Captain. The crew also have to take random drug and alcohol tests.

Archived