Tipping Maitre'd for window seat, is this something out of line.

ibm_db2

Requesting window seat for a party of 5 in MDR, from the Maitre'd, I really like being on the window seat and will consider tipping up to $50.00 to get it done. I only been on two cruises before, really didn't know about seeing Maitre'd as soon getting on aboard for changes etc. Is this something out of line? So far eating in MDR while seeing the ocean go by, has been my favorite part of cruising.

There's no neet to "tip" for making that request....just ask! IF you get it, then you can decide to give him a little something....I wouldn't "bribe" for it, tho! Unfortunately, we usually do late seating, so it's dark!

I had a window seat on the Inspiration and the Destiny. I would definitely go check the table location and ask. I don't know how they would react to a tip up front since it could come across as a bribe. And what if they took the money and then said sorry, no window seat?

There's no neet to "tip" for making that request....just ask! IF you get it, then you can decide to give him a little something....I wouldn't "bribe" for it, tho! Unfortunately, we usually do late seating, so it's dark!

Yes, we picked late seating on this cruise, so oh well. Thanks for the heads of everyone.

Hello ibm_db2:

Before your choice dinning, my dear spouse really wanted a table just for our family. We are a gay couple with an adopted son and have had chilly receptions from some tablemates in the past.

I would always offer a tip to change to a table for two or three. It was always politely refused and told if I enjoyed my cruise I could give something at the end, which I did. Only the M.D. knows if my offering of a tip at the time influenced his "ability" to make the change.

I also suggest that you try to board as early as possible as more than once I was told that I was lucky to get one of the few small tables available.

( since your choice they have added more). There are only a limited amount of window tables.

My best view dining

Tom in Long Beach

Most people will tell you that tipping the Maitre'd is not done on cruise ships. If he performs a service for you he should be rewarded at the end of the cruise

People that wave money around to get extra service are boorish.

A smile and a good attitude will probably get you further

We always do late setting -- the window isn't a big deal at night ;)

We always do late setting -- the window isn't a big deal at night ;)

It is for Alaska cruises! It isn't dark until 11pm.

I had never really considered doing this. So you just go talk to the Maitre d' when you first get on the ship and ask for a window seat if possible? Where can the Maitre d' be found usually?

Hello ibm_db2:

Before your choice dinning, my dear spouse really wanted a table just for our family. We are a gay couple with an adopted son and have had chilly receptions from some tablemates in the past.

Tom in Long Beach

:( I'm sorry you had to deal with this just to eat dinner.

We had a window table on Splendor -- which we didn't ask for, but were simply assigned to. While it was nice in concept, our view was the bottom of a life boat and since we had late seating, it was really too dark to see much of anything.

The view out the window was cool. We were on the left hand side of the ship, and we passed several ships going into Tampa harbor. Plus we saw the bridge. Later in the cruise we could see the water and cloud formations. Or an island if we were near one. I never got tired of looking out, that was for sure.

Of course ir its late seating and dark, no big deal. But Im usually in the early seating.

Also, I would like to rescind the remark about them taking the money and doing nothing. It was ill-advised, and does not reflect my experience with carnival customer service.

It is for Alaska cruises! It isn't dark until 11pm.

I had never really considered doing this. So you just go talk to the Maitre d' when you first get on the ship and ask for a window seat if possible? Where can the Maitre d' be found usually?

As you board the ship, ask one of the members where and when the Maitre'd will be available for table change requests. That info is also sometimes on the papers you are handed prior to boarding. You can ask where your assigned table is located and then decide if you want to make a special request. My request for a window table has always been granted!

We were naive and new cruisers and asked if we could get a window seat when we talked to the Md - he replied that in order to do this he would have to bump someone from a window seat as all the assignments were already done. He could sometimes get a table for 4 or 2 but all that meant was switching around numbers but he would not bump some one out. We have had window seats since but only when we had early dining was it an advantage - late dining we could not see anything. Alaska of course is a different story.

Archived