The Butterfly Farm Review

M&MCruisin

Princess offers a tour to the Butterfly Farm in St. Martin for around $55 per person. When you get off the ship, you are immediately greated by someone holding a sign that says "Buttefly Farm". We stood there for about 5 minutes waiting on people to come and then walked to the end of the pier where we stayed in a line to board one of the many busses lined up. The bus was really nice, air conditioned and in great shape...very comfy. The windows were really large and it was easy to see the sights along the way.

The Tour

It starts out with a tour of the island on the way to the Butterfly Farm. The driver is very informative, but you must pay attention to understand everything he is saying with the accent. Our drive was funny at times but mostly informative about what we were seeing along the way. He uses speakers and a microphone. I sat in the back of a large bus and could here him just fine.

The Butterfly Farm

You are immediately greeted by someone from the Farm. He boards the bus and talks to you briefly, then we head in to the Farm. There are butterflies flying freely around, but not nearly as many as I would have expected. The Farm guide did tell us that the farm has been destroyed 4 times by hurricanes, which is likely the reason for a small amount of butterflies. The Farm guide was very informative and has a fantastic accent that you could listen to all day. He teaches you how to get a butterfly on your finger. I did this and it was so neat. Although there wasnt tons of butterflies, there were many beautiful ones there and it was fun to snap photos of them. Afterwards, there is a little punch if you desire. The only thing I would say was a negative is that we didnt get enough time there. I really enjoyed this leisurely tour and would definitely do it again. My husband, who is all about adventure and excitement, found his excitement by chasing a blue butterfly all over the Farm to snap photos. LOL that was funny to me. Plus one landed on him, which they tell you brings good luck. He is even interested in planting some butterfly bushes to attract them to the yard.

There is a small store there to buy a Tshirt or a postcard, etc. But its very tiny and we didnt get time to even look, which was a shame. The tour needs to be longer.

On the way back to the ship, the bus driver talks some more about the island and shows you some different sites. It was raining part of the way back, but didnt last long. We missed some good photo ops of the ship because of the rain, but an hour or two after we got back, the sun was bright and beautiful.

This tour is recommended for those who wish to have a little knowledge, see beautiful butterflies and have a leisure day. Let me know if you have questions.

Hmmm...Is this the same Butterfly farm that was right by where our ship (RCI ) docked in Havensight ??? Didn't look like it was worth $55.00 to me !! Maybe looks can be deceiving !!!!

We absolutely loved the Butterfly Farm last Nov . We are going to the one in Aruba next Jan . However once we presented the owner with our S&S cards we were only charged $12 US apiece . Our cab rt was about $40 US for 2 pax . So I guess it's about $20 cheaper apiece to go alone but we didn't get the beautiful bus or island commentary . Sounds real nice also ! Thanks for the post ! Take care ! Ted

Archived