Kona--coffee plantation/snorkeling?

annecolorgreen

Hi! Going on the PoA in September 2010. I really want to go to a coffee plantation and think this is the one: Kona Coffee Living History Farm (we have a smithsonian membership and get free tours). The problem is that I am wavering because I LOVE to snorkel and have heard so much about the Capt. Zodiac snorkeling excursion.

1) I DO have back issues and understand it isn't recommended. 2) We are planning to do LOTS of snorking in Maui the few days we are there before the cruise along with some on various beaches throughout the trip including night snorkeling in Oahu.

So...what do you think? Can I afford to miss it?

If we do the coffee tour, what else should we try to work in? We will have a rental car.

THANKS!

As you mentioned, if you go to the Coffee Plantation, you'll need to rent a car and renting a car may be time consuming if you try to get it after Capt. Zodiac snorkeling. Another option would be to go snorkeling on your own using your rental car at Place of Refuge. The snorkeling there is supposed to be fantastic as well.

I snorkeled Place of Refuge (also called "Two Step")at Honaunau bay, it is one bay south of Kealakekua Baywhere the Zodiac stops by the Capt Cook Monument. It was very good, easy access, lots of coral and fish. I saw a large Honu Turtle up close! I literally had to wait for him to swim away a little to get a picture. The Place of Refuge is also worth a stop, it takes less than an hour to do, it also is a better (safer) place to leave your car while you snorkel. We also stopped at Kealakekua Bay Park on the south side of the bay, you can see Capt. Monument in the distance accross the bay on the north side.

The Painted Church is less than a mile from here and is also worth a stop. The Father Damien story is heartwarming so it is no surprise that he is remembered in a number of places.

We stopped at Bayview Farms Coffee Plantation for tasting and a tour, but were a little disapointed with both. So we also stopped at Greenwell Farms where the coffee was better, we did not repeat a tour here but would guess that it is better as well. The Kona Historical Society Museum is also located in the old Greenwell store on the same property. We also stopped at Ferrari (Hawaii Mountain Gold) above Kona where they only offer tasting - we actually liked their coffee best. DW is a Java Junkie, so she was on mission to buy some good (to her taste) Kona coffee.

I figured you can always snorkle,we live in FL.after all, so forced him to coffee tour.Which I loved and bought a LOT,drank some and had a good time...while hubby sulked,so guess its a toss up to determine WHO decides.....those that snorkled with group said it was great.....but I say go to coffee tour,,,,really to tough decision, right???Either way, hey,you re in Hawaii, how bad can it be??:D

it was one suggested in the Hawaii revealed book, got one for each island and really great...just check Amazon,like Maui Revealed,for instance....we also had a rental car and took the back roads for amazing scenery...it also gave hints at what to see on rides,etc....some off the beat locations...Can also just stop at area beach and snorkle on your own if you have car....reefs really close to shore almost anywhere....:D

• 3 months later...

We are renting a car, going to the Place of Refuge and Two Step for snorkeling and then going to the Living History Museum. The rest is still negotiable, but I believe a stop for some Kona Brewing Co. beer is included in the plan ;). There are many other potential stops. I promise to do a review afterward.

We are renting a car, going to the Place of Refuge and Two Step for snorkeling and then going to the Living History Museum. The rest is still negotiable, but I believe a stop for some Kona Brewing Co. beer is included in the plan ;). There are many other potential stops. I promise to do a review afterward.

Two Step is great snorkeling and worth the trip. Sometimes weather or sea conditions can be a problem. One time we were there had a lot of jelly fish.. An alternative and close to Kona is Kahaluu Beach Park. Lot's of fish and turtles. It's not as pristine as Two Step, but the water is protected with a reef and usually good snorkeling.

I'd like to do snorkeling and the Brewing Company as well (have to try the Pipeline Porter!). What is the driving time between the Pier/Place of Refuge/Two Step and Brewing Company? Are you renting/reserving a car ahead of time. I've only been to Kona one other time, that was also via ship, and we just did the Capt Zodiac tour offered by the ship, so I'm not familiar with the layout...

Thanks for the heads up on the alternative beach!

I'd like to do snorkeling and the Brewing Company as well (have to try the Pipeline Porter!). What is the driving time between the Pier/Place of Refuge/Two Step and Brewing Company? Are you renting/reserving a car ahead of time. I've only been to Kona one other time, that was also via ship, and we just did the Capt Zodiac tour offered by the ship, so I'm not familiar with the layout...
I'm not sure of the distance, but had checked at one time and it's definitely doable with time to spare. Yes, we are renting the car ahead of time from Thrifty. We're pretty relaxed in Kona with the exception of the coffee farm--we are all coffee drinkers!

:DMy Favorite Kona Coffees are two: Kona Joe's & Mountain Thunder. I don't know if you have tried either one of these but they both are quite good. My favorite Hawaiian Coffee though is from Molokai & that is Mulskinner from the Malulani Estate on Molokai, either the regular Bean or the Peaberry Bean.

I am getting a very good feel for what we want to do in Kona. We do have a car rented already for the day. I want to start with snorkeling at the Place of Refuge. Once we find that I am assuming that we will have no problem finding "Two-Step" for snorkeling? combine the snorkeling with the cultural sites there. Afterwards I would like to find a coffee plantation to tour, so am looking for suggestions for the best one. We may only have time to get to one of them. Thanks!:D

You absolutely positively must rent a car in advance. The two rental options the King Kamehameha Hotel usually sell out of cars well in advance. That's partly because the location is small, so there are limited nubmers of cars, and partly because it's for cruise ship passengers--so most cruise passengers who want to rent a car do so from the King Kam locations. You do not want to rent from the airport locations for Kona because the airport in nearly 30 minute's drive from the tender pier. The rental car companies do not shuttle from the airport to the pier, so you'd be looking at a fairly pricy taxi ride. There is one other option right in Kona. That is Enterprise, which is about 1 mile from the pier and which does shuttle.

Place of Refuge is 20 miles or so from Kona, but can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic. There is one road and it's not a fast highway, plus you'll be driving a few miles down an even smaller side road. You need to plan on it taking at least 45 minutes each way.

beachchick

Pretty sure we are doing:

1) Place of Refuge (30 min or so to look around)

2) Snorkeling at Two Step

3) Kona Coffee Living History Museum

4) lunch--Kona Brewing Co??

5) anything else that sounds interesting--painted church, world's most scenic urinal, more snorkeling closer to the ship???

No matter how it works out, I'm sure we will have an amazing time :D.

5) anything else that sounds interesting--painted church, world's most scenic urinal, more snorkeling closer to the ship???

That's about what we're looking at. Please post when you get back to let us know how it worked out for you! You're only a week away!!

Is the Kona coffee Living History Museum the same thing as the Greenwell Coffee Plantation? I bookmarked the plantation tour yesterday, but could not find much on the museum, other than it appears to be associated with the Greenwell plantation.:confused:

As far as more snorkeling closer to the ship is concerned....Kahaluu Beach Park would be a good bet if you aren't water logged by then. It sounds like a perfect day!

Have fun on your cruise and I can't wait to hear your trip report when you come back.:)

We actually leave Tuesday morning from here as we are spending a few days in Maui first!! :D

Here is a link for the museum: http://www.konahistorical.org/index.php/tours/kona-coffee-living-history-farm/ There is a general store next door.

It is pricey to go--$20--but we bought a "gift basket" that includes 100% Kona coffee, mac cookies, and oheo jelly for $36 including shipping (we had to call to order as the computer program was adding S&H). It also includes TWO tickets to the museum and 10% off at the gift shop ;).

I actually ordered one for friends of mine who went a couple of months ago and they were really surprised to receive it at their hotel. They LOVED the tour and they are big-time history buffs (one is a teacher, her sister is a docent at a historical location here). I'm really looking forward to it!

Hope that helps :).

• 5 weeks later...

I have been looking at coffee plantation tours. My DH is not excited about the $20 entrance fee at the Living History museum, especially since he considers the coffee stop an 'extra' stop, so I agreed that we will stop for one of the free tours along the way. I saw the Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation (the one that is along the way to the Place of Refuge - they have two locations. Is this a good choice? I think I will be purchasing my second 'Revealed' book today....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived