what to buy in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau,and ISP

trishs

This is a great thread. I love all the great ideas. One question I have is everyone is talking about salmon dog treats. Are there salmon cat treats too? My kitty loves her treats and I would love to bring her something back from my honeymoon...since she has to bunk with my parents for 2 weeks. If I don't bring her something...she'll be mad at me. :)

Ketchikan. Ask on the ship what shops they suggest. My family bought at 2 different shops & thought it was all good. Salmon, Etc. might be one name????

And, check your onboard gift shop for prices. Sometimes they're just as good & maybe less. If you travel in late Aug & Sept. the gift shop might have them 50% off. I bought about 6 boxes that way 2 years ago.

I also have a gorgeous ornament my cousins bought in Juneau - I admired their's not knowing they had purchased me one also-I had to wait until Christmas to get mine. We were afraid I'd miss the ship to run back & get mine; they were just really discouraging me to get one. It was a hand carved Alaskan doll with real mink fur on her hood. Just adorable.

My mother was looking for glass ornaments on my last Alaskan cruise. I can't remember if we ever found any she liked & I don't know that we saw blown glass ornies. There's a large selection of ornaments on all your stops so I think you'll find ones you like. I purchased a Canadian maple leaf ornament in Vancouver the first time I was there.

I brought home socks (for my back up agency person), Alaskan choc bars, maple candy from Canada, socks, T-shirts, salmon & ornaments for my clients, friends, office ass't., etc. And, dont' forget good prices on liquor in Canada- I flew out of Vanoucer & spent an hour or so in the duty free shop at the airport-Canadian whisky (name brand but what was it???) for $12.50 US, 3 bottles of my Clinique make up, lipstick, maple syrup, all tax free, cheaper than in the US & at that time the money exchange between the US & Canada was great. About $1.50 of US to their $1.

great cruising home

Salmon Etc. is a little salmon shop on Mission St. just 1/2 block from the dock in Ketchikan (across the street from Ketchikandies). They sell salmon that is processed at Silver Lining - a cannery that is about 1 mile from the dock. There you can get canned, vacuum packed or even order fresh salmon to be shipped to your home.

The place for salmon in Ketchikan is Salmon Etc., its a small store that sells only various types and flavors of smoked, canned, and qualities of salmon.....they have different grades of smoked salmon (get the best) we bought 20 cans last May and are just now finishing them. Headed back in May on Regal Princess to restock (you can order on internet also but more expensive, but then I won't have a reason to cruise back again) Easy to find on Ketchikan map passed out on ships.

Mike

I've had an Ulu knife for a couple of years and I LOVE it. After using a friends, I ordered one through the Ulu Factory in Anchorage that has a wooden handle, then saw one with a black plastic handle (made in China) at the local Walmart for $8, but recently visited a store in Branson, MO called Alaska Down South and picked up one with the handle made of bone. My hubby put it in the dishwasher....and EEEK, it really dried out. I've oiled it but, sadly it will never be quite the same. The knives vary in price depending on the composition, whatever you choose it is worth the money. I think the set I bought with the wood handle and wood chopping block/bowl was in the $30 something range. I ALWAYS use the chopping block/bowl when using my knife. They work well together.

I hope this doesn't sound like an advertisment for any store. I'm affiliated with none, but just wanted to share my thoughts. I am thrilled that I'll have some time before my cruise begins this June to visit the U.F. and pick up some unique gift items!

• 2 weeks later...
I believe the store in Juneau that sells these is Galligaskins. I think they have a website as well http://www.galligaskins.com . It is a local designer and each one is unique. We didn't get them last year and went to order them to send as Christmas presents and they were out! Very hot item. I will definitely get some this year.

Laura

Does this store have them in stock during the cruise season? Also - do they sell the candles - they sound wonderful!!

Thanks Nancy

Sorry, I haven't been back to this thread for a while... the bowl I have fits with the ulu I have since they're sold as a set. You can purchase different sizes of ulus with the bowl sized in proportion. Mine is the large size that the Ulu Factory advertises on their website. I use it almost daily! In fact, I gave one to a friend last Christmas and she has requested that I pick up 8 sets for her as she now wants to give them as Christmas gifts this year. - I wonder if they're cheaper by the dozen? - ;)

The main shopping area is right at the cruise ship docks. Huge variety of stores offering everything from t shirts, candies, canned salmon, alaskan fur products, carved whalebone and scrimshaw pieces, really nice handmade knives, outstanding jewelry, diamonds, alexandrite and gold. There are shops that offer Russian products like the nesting dolls, life-like eskimo dolls, hand blown art glass, etc.

A fun place to explore which is a few blocks from the dock is Creek Street. This was originally the red light district where the boarding houses were. The creek is pretty and is where the salmon can be seen during their spawning season leaping upstream. They rent fishing poles here. Most of the former cat houses are now home to artists shops. A wonderful area to stroll and take pictures. We ate at Good fortune, wonderful fresh chinese food.

Another great place to eat is at Steamers, right at the cruise docks. We had the Alaskan Beer samplet which is 4 varietys of local beers. The Salmon was cooked on a plank and was very, very yummy! The fresh crabs were outstanding and HUGE! A must do if you like local foods.

Another good place to eat is Annbelles at the Gilbert Hotel which is on the waterfront. This is an older establishment from 1929. They have an original dark wood bar with the nice carving and mirrors. Pictures of the women on the walls from days gone by are interesting. The dining area is really warm and cozy with round booths and crystal candleholders. They have wonderful clam chowder and smoked salmon chowder with herbed homemade bread. The salmon and steaks there are wonderful and the desserts are sinfully good.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

I don't know what prices are in Alaska personally. I do know that they vary widely simply by the composition, style and quality of the knife. Check out the online prices then compare when you get to Alaska, you can always order after your trip. You would have a better idea of what you really want after you've had a chance to 'fit' it in your hand. You might like the one-of-a-kind handmade knives better. I'm happy with my Alaska-made yet mass-produced ulu and cutting board, but I use it everyday and don't feel like I have to be especially careful like I do with the one I have made of bone. Good luck finding the one you like! Either way, they're awesome:) .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I won't be spending much time shopping, but I do like to buy a Christmas ornament everywhere we go. Does anyone know if there are any shops in the ports where I can find blown glass ornaments? Thanks :)

Ok.... it's not a port, but if you are doing a land tour, the best place to get ornaments is at The Santa Clause House in North Pole. I'm not sure if they have blown glass, but they have a pretty good selection all year round.

They also have personalized letters from Santa that you can have sent out. We send them out to the kids at Christmas time, they've really gotten a kick out of them.