How long is the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake?

jaspertl

So BQ, you think that the train has MUCH better views than if you were to drive?????????????? There's 4 of us so the car at $79. total vs the train at $89. pp x 4 is quite a savings.

We don't mind spending the money if it is in fact really a lot better.

What about the train not going as far as Emerald Lake??? That's sounds like an incredible destination.

Comparing the road and rail trips is really an apples-and-oranges comparison. They are VERY different experiences, and which one is "better" depends on your specific interests. The rail trip for history and engineering as well as scenery, the road for scenic variety and a chance at seeing wildlife (okay, and lower cost!).

Murray

My husband says- it' s vaccation I don't want to drive... but I would love to see/ get pictures of all the great things you are mentioning. So there are two tours by Princess:

Yukon Expedition & White Pass Scenic Railway: 169pp

A fetching combination of Experience the Yukon and White Pass Scenic Railway, this tour allows you to experience the beauty of the legendary White Pass Trail of ’98 from different perspectives.

Your adventure begins aboard a deluxe motorcoach that takes you along the Trail of ’98 to the White Pass summit and beyond to Canada’s Yukon. After cresting the White Pass summit, travel through

Tormented Valley and visit the village of Carcross near Lake Bennett.

Enjoy a tasty barbecued lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Post. Visit the WildlifeGallery and see interesting exhibits of wildlife native to the region before departing for a ride aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route railroad back to Skagway.

-----or----------

White Pass Scenic Railway- 97pp

Take an unforgettable journey aboard the “Scenic Railway of the World” to the White Pass summit.

No other railroad is quite like the White Pass & Yukon Route. Against all odds, the iron trail was carved through some of the North’s most rugged terrain in 1898. This engineering wonder climbs nearly 3,000 feet over 20 miles of steep grades and cliff-hanging turns.

Relax in old-fashioned parlor cars as you retrace the original route to the White Pass summit, passing Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point and Dead Horse Gulch. Enjoy a breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites. See the original Klondike

Trail of ‘98 worn into the rocks, a permanent tribute to the thousands of souls who passed this way in search of fortune.

This tour departs from the cruise ship pier and is highly recommended for passengers using wheelchair.

------------

so what do you all think?

Do either of these sound better to you and why?

I want to save money- but I also want to see alot- and take pictures- Can you get good pictures from the train?

The combo says it enters Canada- which is when you all say is very pretty. But- do either go to emerald lake? If not- what am I missing out on?

The train says you don't even get off- so what are you missing out on there?

Is the combo trip worth the extra 144 it would cost the two of us?

Thanks for your help!

The combo trip is much better. However, my choice is for one of the small-group ones - the Princess tours are truly of the "herding" variety (commonly 8 coaches and 300+ people travelling closely together), and many people complain that far too long is spent at the lunch stop.

Murray

So BQ, you think that the train has MUCH better views than if you were to drive?????????????? There's 4 of us so the car at $79. total vs the train at $89. pp x 4 is quite a savings.

We don't mind spending the money if it is in fact really a lot better.

What about the train not going as far as Emerald Lake??? That's sounds like an incredible destination.

I have done both- and I always mention the train is significant for history a main reason to consider it, it isn't for everyone. :) You will have a wonderful- bargain time with a drive. Getting into the Yukon is a highpoint for most (OK- when I was little, my mother threatened to ship me there- BOY if I ONLY KNEW, anyway several years ago we went to the Yukon together- and have a glowing photo of us standing in front of that beautiful "welcome to the Yukon" sign) .

I'm so sorry - I don't know the name. We had reservations with Avis, but they wouldn't take my debit card. So the very nice woman at Avis called down to this very nice gentleman who said, SURE, he had a car for $30 cash!

Here is how I remember - it is one block past the street that Avis is on (walking down the main street)..to the left. In the middle of the street there is a little grocery/convenience store - you would never guess it, but they rent cars too! I had heard of Sourdough Rentals severals times on these boards, but I don't think that was Sourdough.

Because my husband is a rather tall guy and the car was not comfortable for him to drive, I drove. It was a hoot! I loved it...not really like driving, more of being in control of this little adventure. My intent was to see Emerald Lake - I didn't care how I got there! Horses sound neat too, but last time I tried to ride a horse at my in-laws ranch, I couldn't hoist my rear-end up and over (too old and fat!)...so I opted for the car! LOL

Best part of our trip was getting pulled over by the Canadian Police!!! It was quite a scare at the time, but makes for a great story now! Seems someone had gone through the Canadian border without stopping and he thought it was us. Now...could you even have a chance of something like that happening on the train????? ;-)

Archived