How long is the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake?

jaspertl

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...I did a search and couldn't find it.

We were thinking of taking the train excursion but are now looking at renting a car and driving on our own.

Everyone has posted how much fun it was and also a lot less expensive.

How much time approximatly does it take to make this drive?

Our ship comes in a 5:30 am. and leaves at 7:30 p.m. as it stands now (it may change)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I believe it is only about 75 miles each way--not terribly far. Obviously, how long it takes is dependent primarily on how often you stop to look around (there are many beautiful places to pull over and absorb the scenery) and if you decide to do anything like horseback riding at Emerald Lake (worth the time in my opinion). But given your time in port, you should be able to easily make the journey, take your time, do whatever you want, and still get back in time to look arounf Skagway or maybe do another excursion. We drove out, looked around alot, did the horseback riding thing, and it took us maybe 6 hours (probably less)

Budget Queen,

We arrive at about 7AM and depart at 3PM. Since Avis doesn't even open until 8AM...do you think we will have any problems? I told Avis that we would be returning the car at about 2. Our entire party is going to be in suites, so we should be able to be off the ship pretty quickly. I also understand that sometimes the ship sometimes will shorten the port time at the last minute. Have you seen this happen? Any advise would be appreciated. Nancy

Hi

If you are going as far as Emerald lake you shouldn't over look the Yukon horse tour with Joannie it is wonderful. I think the site is yukonhorses.com

The drive is truly beautiful and there is a good chance to see some bears. We went early in the morning and enjoyed every minute of the drive through the mountains.

Carcross is also a really unique town with an old town look to it and worth stopping at, we stopped in to tour around after our trail ride...

I hope this is of some help.

Enjoy

Budget Queen,

We arrive at about 7AM and depart at 3PM. Since Avis doesn't even open until 8AM...do you think we will have any problems? I told Avis that we would be returning the car at about 2. Our entire party is going to be in suites, so we should be able to be off the ship pretty quickly. I also understand that sometimes the ship sometimes will shorten the port time at the last minute. Have you seen this happen? Any advise would be appreciated. Nancy

For what its worth, I think you will have plenty of time--as I mentioned above, we did the trip, went horseback riding and returned (stopped a lot on the way and back) and were done in about 6 hours. If time gets short, you may not be able to stop as frequently on the way back.

Budget Queen,

It won't matter if you are suite passengers or not- it isn't a tender port. :) You should have no problem, if really worried, be at the office before 8 so to be first in line for a car.

may I ask - please clarify:

Do people do this instead of the White Pass train because it basically follows the same route and allows you to see the same things, plus go to the lake? How does this differ from the train ride / how much of the road parallels the train? I am thinking I might could save some money by renting a car, though the white pass excursion was of interest to me. Or is it apples and oranges?

th

Hi, I know Southeast tours is the company who brings clients to the Emerald lake horse tour. I have talked to people who rent a car and go in and they save some money so you can book either way.

Yes I think the road trip somewhat covers the same scenery as the train but you don't get the history from the White Pass train which is very interesting.

I hope this is of some help.

Yes, you can walk into town. It's a bit of a hike, but nothing too bad. It will take about 10-15 minutes. You can see town from the ship. I read where there were supposed to be shuttles, but we didn't have any shuttles when we were in that port.

We rented our car from a little grocery store in town for about $30, after stopping at the Ranger station to get a detailed map. On the drive up, we kept seeing the train peeking in and out of the mountain side - however, the train is across the valley from where you drive. We stopped at several of the promenent waterfalls, the welcome to Alaska sign, the Yukon sign and at Emerald Lake. Driving all the way to Emerald lake is much farther than the train goes, as you eventually reach the point where you see the train turn around. Personally, I think the prettiest part of the trip is in Canada, on past where the train stops.

Here is a great map http://members.tripod.com/~placerstrike/lakesmap.html

This map shows both the road and the train route. I believe the train turns around where the train and the road cross - so you miss alot of beautiful lakes, not to mention Emerald Lake - which is SO worth the drive up. We stopped and walked out on the snow as well as being able to see some blue glacial ice in places.

Can we do Emerald lake and Carcross in the same trip or are they in different directions? My dad doesn't want to do the horses.Thanks Trish
The lake is a few miles farther down the road from Carcross, past the Carcross Desert (also worth a stop).

Les

Carcross is just before Emerald Lake and is a nice little town for lunch or a snack or just a walk around. I don't think you can drive down to Emerald Lake, it appears to be mostly private land, just a nice overlook of the nice lake. Watch the power lines in your pictures though. Reminds me of the color of Emerald Bay in Lake Tahoe.

There are plenty of places to stop for pictures. Get Yukon's mile guide for this trip. It is available online and the link is all over these threads.

For clairfication- the rail and Klondike Highway same views amount to only a few miles, scenery is superior via the rail. Southeast tours offers a bus without the horseback riding, and simple in a rental car. Every trip I have been in Skagway has had the shuttle bus, you do NOT pick it up at the ship, but at the stand next to the first docked ship. If you are the third ship back- it can be a walk but I have seen the cruise lines run golf carts. The walk is all level, I used to cut through the RV park, but they now have put up annoying ropes. :( Anyway- without limitations- it is very walkable. :)

Archived