Sea Princess - Opinions

Cruising Rules

I am booked on the Sea Princess for a 10 day cruise to Alaska and don't know much about her. I have searched and while there is some information I would appreciate feedback as to those who have sailed on her, enjoyed their cruise. I have booked a balcony cabin on the Baja deck. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I am booked on the Sea Princess for a 10 day cruise to Alaska and don't know much about her. I have searched and while there is some information I would appreciate feedback as to those who have sailed on her, enjoyed their cruise. I have booked a balcony cabin on the Baja deck. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I've been on the Sea Princess a couple of times; the first before she was transferred to P&O and the second, after she was transferred back to Princess.

The balcony cabins are "cut out of the hull," i.e., they are part of the superstructure and thus the dividers between balconies are metal walls and below the railing is also metal, not see-through. This makes them very private but some people don't like the closed in feeling.

The Sea Princess is heavily marketed in the U.K. and thus there are many Brits onboard. My second cruise, in the Med, Americans were only 12% of the total number of passengers. The comedians tend to use British humor and some of the food is geared towards British tastes. For instance, bacon is more like American ham than what we know as bacon. Because there are so many Brits onboard, you'll find lines for anything more "civilized" and respectful, without people pushing past to be first (which Americans tend to do.) Overall dress is better as they aren't as fixated on being able to dress down.

I enjoyed both of my Sea Princess cruises and I'd sail her again if the opportunity presented itself.

We sailed on the Sea a few weeks ago. It is in many ways a typical Princess ship, meaning some of the bars are the same, i.e. Wheelhouse, etc. It has MUTS, the Sanctuary, etc.

The balcony staterooms are a little smaller than the larger Princess ships and the balcony is not as deep as larger ships. The balcony is cut out of the hull of the ship and doesn't have glass, instead is is small metal bars below the handrail. It is however more private than larger ships

The Sea underwent a renovation last Sept. and is in very good shape. We thoroughly enjoyed our time onboard.

Have a great cruise.

I dont think "Americans tend to push past" to be first any more than others from other countries, Ive been everywhere , traveled everywhere, people are people, ever been to british pub late night....?we have a local one and everyone, Brits, Irish, American are all the same sort of crazy as anyone else,people are people some rude some not, on ships ive seen people of many ethnicities act impolite, not just the Americans..

The Sea Princess is heavily marketed in the U.K. and thus there are many Brits onboard. My second cruise, in the Med, Americans were only 12% of the total number of passengers. The comedians tend to use British humor and some of the food is geared towards British tastes. For instance, bacon is more like American ham than what we know as bacon. Because there are so many Brits onboard, you'll find lines for anything more "civilized" and respectful, without people pushing past to be first (which Americans tend to do.) Overall dress is better as they aren't as fixated on being able to dress down.

I'm curious if this holds true for the 10-day Alaska itinerary. Is that itinerary also being marketed heavily to the British? I wonder if, since it's doing a West Coast, American itinerary now, if the demographics and thus the vibe/food/entertainment/etc. will be geared towards a more American crowd for these sailings.

I'm curious if this holds true for the 10-day Alaska itinerary. Is that itinerary also being marketed heavily to the British? I wonder if, since it's doing a West Coast, American itinerary now, if the demographics and thus the vibe/food/entertainment/etc. will be geared towards a more American crowd for these sailings.

We did this cruise last year. We had a wonderful time. The food was what we have always experienced from Princess. As the ship was sailing along the west coast, many of the passengers were from California. I would have enjoyed rashers to American bacon, but unless it was part of a special meal, it was the bacon that you are used to here. This was true of the other food offerings as well.

Have a great cruise!

We did this cruise last year. We had a wonderful time. The food was what we have always experienced from Princess. As the ship was sailing along the west coast, many of the passengers were from California. I would have enjoyed rashers to American bacon, but unless it was part of a special meal, it was the bacon that you are used to here. This was true of the other food offerings as well.

Have a great cruise!

Since the ship is being replenished in San Francisco, I'd think they'd be stocking up on mostly American-style food. When she's sailing out of Barbados, that's when she caters more to the British.

Crusing Rules: I will be on the Sea Princess for the 6/11 roundtrip SFO-Alaska cruise. If you (or anyone else) want me to scope anything out for you while I am board, let me know. I can start a list of questions. (I have nothing to do except relax for 10 days while onboard.

We actually started this same cruise on the Sea Princess last June but had to fly home at the first port (after the first 2 days at sea) due to a death in the family. We are trying again this year...

Sue from Fairfield

Hi Sue

First and foremost I'm sorry about your loss last June. I will scope things out for you as I am on the sailing before yours. :D I thank you for your response and wish you a much better vacation this year!! For the couple of days you were on the ship last year did you like the ship?

Crusing Rules: I will be on the Sea Princess for the 6/11 roundtrip SFO-Alaska cruise. If you (or anyone else) want me to scope anything out for you while I am board, let me know. I can start a list of questions. (I have nothing to do except relax for 10 days while onboard.

We actually started this same cruise on the Sea Princess last June but had to fly home at the first port (after the first 2 days at sea) due to a death in the family. We are trying again this year...

Sue from Fairfield

Cruising Rules: Thanks, we are hoping for a better trip this time. My husband loss both of his parents last year (within 4.5 months of each other).

When are you going? I am leaving 6/11 which is before you.

Let me know if you are leaving after me & have any questions. We also have a balconey cabin on Baha Deck.

Sue from Fairfield

I have been on the Sea P 3 times now and she is lovely. As has been said, the balconies are smaller than those on other ships, but adequate for a couple of people and a few drinks!

The pizza restaurant is wonderful and they make fantastic fresh pizza. The nicest bit is not having to ask for the bill!

I was on the Sea last xmas / new year and met some excellent staff, especially in the anytime dining room. I was made to feel special too when the head chef made my favourite - strawberry soup - just for me (well I did let my DH and two friends have some as well)! The Maitre'd even brought me some fresh strawberries one evening too!

You will enjoy the ship I'm sure. Don't expect perfection - that doesn't happen in real life nor on a cruise ship - and you will have a great time.

We just finished the Panama Canal cruise May 7-22 on Sea Princess. easy trip home for us since we live 60 miles from S.F. and didn't have to fly to get home.

Our first cruise was on Dawn, which I hear is Sea's twin, 3 years ago, to the Mexican Riviera.

On the Panama cruise there was a great number of elderly and disabled on board, which the ship did not seem to be prepared for. The buffet this time seemed cramped and congested and getting around the ship seemed more difficult We got around on the ship mostly by going outside on the promenade deck to avoid the congestion inside.

If the ship recently was overhauled it didn't show it. A tear in the carpeting outside on deck 14 was not repaired, flooring in atrium needed refinishing, and flooring in a couple of elevators was coming apart. None of that affected safety, but I noticed the hinges to release survival cannisters on deck 7 appeared badly rusted, possibly frozen, and where painting had been done, it clearly had been without preparation, rust was just painted over.

This made me wonder if Princess was just letting the ship go downhill--maybe planning to take it out of service soon without having to put more money into maintenance?

Ray Mac.

we will be boarding...to spend time with DD who is the Port and Shopping Guide for the Sea Princess for this Alaska season! We are so excited to be able to "sail" with her and see her in this role! Her name is Tiffanie..and please feel free, when your sailing comes up, to say Hi from her Dad and me!!

We were on the Sun Princess back in '02 and loved the ship...size, lay-out...and as mentioned the pizza was fantastic!! So I"m sure we will enjoy her "sister" as well!

Since it has been awhile thanks for the reminder re the "in-hull" balconies...I had totally forgotten about that! LuAnn

Archived