Vegetarians at Chef's Table?

happyvalley

Obviously being a vegetarian can be a very iffy proposition, as it seems to me that someone who eats around the lobster in a dish is tacitly approving of the fate of the crustacean in question. Really, what moral point is being made by wasting food? I'm sure that lobster wouldn't have wanted to die in vain.

I understand vegetarians or the allergy-stricken asking to be included and that's fine as long as it doesn't impact my own experience. But I would hate to have that delicious caviar, steak tartare, or walnut bread that came with the cheese course eliminated if by chance a significant percentage of those selected on a particular voyage say they don't eat things with faces or are allergic to nuts. So I have mixed feelings about all those who want adjustments.

Dude, Shift key and punctuation keys. Find them, learn about them, use them. They're your friends. (oh, and go, Blue Devils!)

Too funny...........not:( I don`t think that lobster wanted to die at all:rolleyes:

Crzn said that she was not a fanatic but what she does not realize was that risotto was made with an animal stock:p

I really don`t think that if there was a Veg at your table it would impact your experience, but I think it would impact mine.

Obviously being a vegetarian can be a very iffy proposition, as it seems to me that someone who eats around the lobster in a dish is tacitly approving of the fate of the crustacean in question. Really, what moral point is being made by wasting food? I'm sure that lobster wouldn't have wanted to die in vain.
At least on a ship, that bit of skipped over lobster will be ground up and flushed out to feed all the other little fishes. And some people aren't vegetarian for moral reasons as much as for sustainable society reasons. Back eons ago when I was a veggie, that was my reason so I avoided most animal proteins since many of them represent a startling amount of resources consumed per pound of meat delivered.

Of course, 20 years later and I'm wallowing in beef wellington, but what's a youth for, if not to be different and difficult from time to time. :D

I understand vegetarians or the allergy-stricken asking to be included and that's fine as long as it doesn't impact my own experience. But I would hate to have that delicious caviar, steak tartare, or walnut bread that came with the cheese course eliminated if by chance a significant percentage of those selected on a particular voyage say they don't eat things with faces or are allergic to nuts. So I have mixed feelings about all those who want adjustments.
I actually share your mixed feeling, but, really, if Princess is ok with it, I'm not going to selfishly tell other passengers they aren't welcome if it means my being deprived of my steak tartare. There's nothing about my love for meat that makes me any more important than someone else who loves their tofu.

Please note that "your food" would not be changed to accomodate someone with dietary restrictions. That person would have a slightly different meal.

Not exactly true. When we did the Chef's Table on the Golden Princess last November, because one person had a shellfish allergy, the entire menu was changed to accommodate her problem. I think the chef prepared a marvelous meal but I would have liked to try his lobster dish that I heard from other people at a different Chef's Table on our cruise was excellent.

Not exactly true. When we did the Chef's Table on the Golden Princess last November, because one person had a shellfish allergy, the entire menu was changed to accommodate her problem. I think the chef prepared a marvelous meal but I would have liked to try his lobster dish that I heard from other people at a different Chef's Table on our cruise was excellent.

I would NOT have been a happy camper to miss the lobster risotto! :mad:

I am not a vegetarian, but I am a very picky eater. Note the main plate from the Chef's Dinner I attended. It contains lobster tail, diver scallops, beef filet mignon and a lamb rib chop.

Of these four, I only eat the filet mignon.

Did I ask to be treated specially? No.

After taking the picture I found willing participants who were willing to take my lobster, scallops and lamb chop.

I was happy with the filet.

Others were happy with extra lobster, scallops and lamb.

No food was wasted.

896071811_09_26.08100_1646Lobsterscallopsfiletmignonlambchop.jpg.0f4cf083bbb8c0d19d9cc88ba60c923c.jpg

Archived