Vegetarians at Chef's Table?

happyvalley

Have any vegetarians braved the Chef's Table on Princess ships? Or is it just not worth even attempting? I wonder if there's any room for accomodation of non meat eaters. Thanks!

I'm not so sure it's worth it for a vegetarian. When we did it, it was very meat/animal based, including steak tartare, caviar, beef, veal, pork, crab. I've seen other Chef's Table menus include things like lamb, foie gras, lobster, etc.

I've heard they can make certain accommodations, but I doubt the end product would be worth your time. Because it's first come first serve, it's also possible that others without dietary restrictions might be given preference.

I have to tell you, last week on the Emerald, the HC had so many creative vegetarian options that I was amazed. I had never before seen so many food items prepared with such great care that they could label them vegetarian.

I am going to guess that they would be very accomodating at the chef's table if you wished to attend (just make sure to alert them to your dietary needs beforehand if you decide to go for it). Good Luck!

My wife is a vegetarian but will eat regular fish (not other seafood).

For the food leading up to the main course, she just avoided anything with seafood or meat in it. For the main course, they made her a special salmon dish.

If you do not eat fish also, I am sure they would be willing to make you a special vegetable plate.

It is an expierience, so do not skip it because you follow a vegetarian diet.

(By the way, many of the normal dining room menus can be prepared for vegetarians if you speak with your headwaiter the evening before. For example, the French Onion soup can be made for you without using beef stock.)

For the food leading up to the main course, she just avoided anything with seafood or meat in it. For the main course, they made her a special salmon dish.

If you do not eat fish also, I am sure they would be willing to make you a special vegetable plate.

(By the way, many of the normal dining room menus can be prepared for vegetarians if you speak with your headwaiter the evening before. For example, the French Onion soup can be made for you without using beef stock.)

What ship were you on? We are vegetarians who, like your wife, eat fish and we have been turned down for the Chef's dinner on the Ruby, the Grand and the Coral. Spoke with Maitre D' on the first day and all three times we were told they could not accommodate us!

Just a note : In the main dining room everyone bends over backwards to make sure we have great meals!

i could not agree more sultan. what is wrong with you people? they have a long list of people quite willing to eat what ever and we do not want our food changed to accomadate someone who belongs in the buffet line. and can eat whatever they want. why do you expect a cheif to cook spcial food for you and add to expense and his time. why even bring it up, it is clearly not for you

The OP asked a reasonable question and there is no need to bash them because your opinion is that they are unworthy of consideration for the CT because they aren't willing or able to eat anything.

It never hurts to ask and see if those in charge are willing to make an accommodation or not. If not, then they won't be able to attend but who knows, maybe the Chef would be interested in challenging himself/herself to prepare a fantastic vegetarian meal.

Oh, in case you think I am a militant vegetarian...think again.

I would encourage the OP to at least pursue the chance and if they are invited to the pre-meal selection meeting explain their dietary needs to the Maitre D and see what happens.

i could not agree more sultan. what is wrong with you people? they have a long list of people quite willing to eat what ever and we do not want our food changed to accomadate someone who belongs in the buffet line. and can eat whatever they want. why do you expect a cheif to cook spcial food for you and add to expense and his time. why even bring it up, it is clearly not for you

So, you feel the following people should not even consider doing the Chef's table:

a) Anyone with any food allergy as you would never know what ingedients might be included (shellfish, chocolate, celiac disease, lactose intolerance , nuts, etc.)

b) Those of the Jewish and Muslim religions as there might be a pork product or shellfish served.

c) Those of the Hindu religion as beef might be served.

d) Anyone who is a member of AA. Alcohol products might be used in some of the dishes, and wine is served.

e) Those who have been told by their doctor to avoid foods with cholesterol.

f) And, of course, vegetarians and vegans.

Please note that "your food" would not be changed to accomodate someone with dietary restrictions. That person would have a slightly different meal.

I can add a 100 more to your list. You may go on and on and on.

Those who have restrictions should pass on the items they cannot eat -- thats it! But no substitutions or especial items should be served. It is after all a Chef's Table!

So, you feel the following people should not even consider doing the Chef's table:

I can add a 100 more to your list. You may go on and on and on.

Those who have restrictions should pass on the items they cannot eat -- thats it! But no substitutions or especial items should be served. It is after all a Chef's Table!

A Chef`s Table is what the Chef chooses to prepare. If he/she wishes to prepare a special dish/dishes that is the choice of the chef at that particular dinner, if not the request can be refused on that particular dinner:).

A little pet peeve here..........people who eat fish are not vegetarian......people who eat chicken only are not vegetarian. This totally confuses the kitchen at any restaurant and makes it difficult for non-flesh eating folks to explain their diet.:(

I am speaking as a vegetarian for over 35 years and as a former chef;)

A little pet peeve here..........people who eat fish are not vegetarian......people who eat chicken only are not vegetarian. This totally confuses the kitchen at any restaurant and makes it difficult for non-flesh eating folks to explain their diet.:(

I am speaking as a vegetarian for over 35 years and as a former chef;)

Ooooo! That is a big pet peeve for me, too! Vegetarian= nothing with a face!

I am a lapsed vegetarian (over 20 years without meat, poutry, or fish), but may be returning soon.:)

We participated in the Chef's Table..and we do have some diet restrictions. The maitre d' and the chef were accommodating. My DH cannot have alcohol so his charge was reduced.

I do not eat shell fish or pork. For one of the appetizers instead of having crab in the cocktail they used ahi tuna and had even prepared just a vegetable cocktail. For the main entree I had lamb..not pork. The Chef's Table is a wonderful experience and I would encourage those who have diet restrictions to give it a try. By the way this was on the Golden Princess.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Chef's Table on the Crown in March. We had to meet with the maitre d' for a briefing in the morning. At that time, he asked everyone about particular food allergies/dietary restrictions.

It's great that they are willing to try to accommodate people. But I'm not sure it would be worth it for a vegetarian unless he or she were traveling with someone who eats meat and wanted to try it for the experience. Of the hors d'ouvres we had in the galley, two of the four were vegetarian. When we got to the table, we had carpaccio, lobster risotto, and then lobster, tenderloin of beef, veal, and pork. Those were served with vegetables on the side. This was followed by the Stilton and finally dessert.

I think the confusion results from two points:

1) A true Chef's Table experience involves putting yourselves in the hands of an experienced chef, who decides on the menu (no variations, no accommodations for vegetarians, non-fish eaters, food allergies, gluten intolerances, or anything else). It might help if you read a review of a true Chef's Table experience:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/dining/24note.html?pagewanted=all

I might add that you often pay mightily for such experiences on land.

2) Princess's version is not a "true" Chef's Table. Clearly there are several relatively set menus, so the chef is not making decisions on what to cook and serve based on what is fresh and best in the market. Wines served are good but certainly not outstanding from a oenophile's perspective. And it has been clearly stated in reviews by passengers that substitutions and changes have been made.

So, how to reconcile these two points? I'm not sure. The Chef's Table experience is fun and the food is very good. It doesn't reach the level of a good Chef's Table on land, but the combination of food and wine, setting, and extra attention make it very worth the $75 charged.

I would imagine those poor fish cry as much as the lobster?:eek:

I think the confusion results from two points:

1) A true Chef's Table experience involves putting yourselves in the hands of an experienced chef, who decides on the menu (no variations, no accommodations for vegetarians, non-fish eaters, food allergies, gluten intolerances, or anything else). It might help if you read a review of a true Chef's Table experience:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/dining/24note.html?pagewanted=all

Not necessarily. I've gone out with a group of four people, and the chef came out to ask if anyone had dietary restrictions or other scruples. Come to think of it, the same thing occurred a couple of times when my wife and I went by ourselves. It's up to the chef. Some insist on no variations or accommodations for anyone at the table, some are more flexible.

for people who have either never participated in the Chef's Table or are not vegetarians.

I'm a vegetarian (but not a fanatic) and have been to 3 Chef's Tables on 3 different ships. There is plenty for a vegetarian to eat and the experience is worth the money IMO. Interestingly enough the menu was the same at all 3.

We had:

• Steak tartar which DH loves so he ate mine
  • Mini cheese quiche which I love so I got his
  • Blue Crab Margarita w/avocado & mango & I ate the avocado & mango
  • Caviar on a new potato- DH ate the caviar off both
  • The asparagas risotto w/ lobster was great...just ate around the lobster
  • Got extra Grey Goose in the sorbet & it was lovely...the chef gave me extra vodka!
  • Trio of Beef, veal & venison DH loved, I skipped. However DH ate only the beef tenderloin and no veggies
  • The veggies were wonderful but by then I was getting full but had some: grilled asparagus, etc
  • The cheese dish was baked camembert w/port wine reduction & to die for
  • The wines were plentiful and really good.
  • The dessert was wonderful and beautiful.

The 1st 2 times didn't tell them I was vegetarian. The last time I did so the chef put together a little extra veggies for me.

Is it worth $75 even if you don't eat meat or fish? I think so. The experience was wonderful. I couldn't have eaten everything even if I weren't a vegetarian. I had wonderful food, great dinner companions and the chef and maitre d's were wonderful, personable and accomodating.

This isn't a Chef's Table like you would find at a 5-star restaurant and since we had the same menu on 3 different ships you realize it's pretty standard fare. A lot better than the regular dinner though. The atmosphere and the comraderie with your fellow diners and the ship staff and of course the wine make for a wonderful evening.

caribell,,

a through f are all welcomed just dont complain, dont expect preferential treatment, do not make it a princess responsibilty to deal with your "food" issues. this is special deal clearly stated therefore if you cant deal with passing on a few or alot of dishes DONT GO.

only thing i can figure is you veggie folks must love good wine. And im trying to tell you on 90% of the ships as soon as you mention a problem to the matri d you will not be selected

Sign up for it and be upfront about your restrictions - some ships are very accommodating. If they are having multiple chef's tables, they may try to pair groups with similar restrictions together.

Or, they may say no.

Obviously being a vegetarian can be a very iffy proposition, as it seems to me that someone who eats around the lobster in a dish is tacitly approving of the fate of the crustacean in question. Really, what moral point is being made by wasting food? I'm sure that lobster wouldn't have wanted to die in vain.

I understand vegetarians or the allergy-stricken asking to be included and that's fine as long as it doesn't impact my own experience. But I would hate to have that delicious caviar, steak tartare, or walnut bread that came with the cheese course eliminated if by chance a significant percentage of those selected on a particular voyage say they don't eat things with faces or are allergic to nuts. So I have mixed feelings about all those who want adjustments.

caribell,,

a through f are all welcomed just dont complain, dont expect preferential treatment, do not make it a princess responsibilty to deal with your "food" issues. this is special deal clearly stated therefore if you cant deal with passing on a few or alot of dishes DONT GO.

only thing i can figure is you veggie folks must love good wine. And im trying to tell you on 90% of the ships as soon as you mention a problem to the matri d you will not be selected

Dude, Shift key and punctuation keys. Find them, learn about them, use them. They're your friends. (oh, and go, Blue Devils!)

Archived