Just got back from "Footsteps of the Cossacks"

Old Pete

Just wondering how I subscribe to this thread, I managed to subscribe to a few other threads, but things are hit or miss here....

Since flights from Odessa seem to be limited, wouldn't a flight from Odessa go back to Kiev anyway, before I flew to the US...

When I post to a thread that post automatically subscribes me [so that new posts to that thread will be listed under "CP"]. You can also subscribe without posting as mentioned by sitraveler.

We did Kiev to Odessa May 2010 with Viking air included. One thing I don't like about Viking is their lack of transparency in pricing. In addition to their fake 2 for 1 prices [i don't think they have ever sold any cruise at any time without 2 for 1 pricing] they often discount by subsidizing air fare. The cheap air fare offered us made our total trip price reasonable [iMO], but we did not know the routing at time of purchase. When we got our routing we had an afternoon flight out of Odessa to Vienna on Ukrainian International, an overnight at the NH Vienna Airport Hotel, and the Austrian Air non-stop from Vienna to Washington, DC. The hotel was included - not sure if it was paid for by Viking or the airlines, but it was not additional funds out of our pocket. This was a very nice routing; we got a full night sleep in Odessa [usually our river boats have ended with 2:30am wake up for 3:30 cold breakfast before 4am departure for the airport] and then in Vienna we hopped the train from the airport into the city for a leisurely evening.

Thom

If your tour starts or ends in Kiev you can add an extension. Check with your travel agent or Viking. The subscribe option is at the top of section.

We are going Kiev/Odessa in June.

My flight does not return via Kiev.

For insurance go to "Insure my Trip" and there are lots of options. Cruise insurance thru the travel company is cost effective for older passengers as the private companies base on age.

Not exactly true. Viking isn't offering a Kiev extension when we sail--as much I would have liked to do it since there isn't enough time in Kiev. The extension is offered as a pre-tour only when you start in Kiev or a post-tour only when you end in Kiev.

As for flights, no, you don't have to go back to Kiev to leave from Odessa. You can also fly through Vienna, Prague, or a couple of other cities.

For the best coverages (such as cancel for any reason and existing medical conditions), you should buy your trip insurance with in two weeks of booking your travel.

If you pay the $50pp Custom Air fee, you can choose your flights (from among what Viking is offering) rather than wait to see what Viking has assigned you. That is one way of avoiding those 2:30am wake-up calls.

Finally, sitraveler and T-Thom, we hope you'll join the "Footsteps" conversation at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1517190&page=4.

Back to insurance. You get what you pay for.

It's not the price that counts but what the policy covers--and doesn't cover. If you have to cancel, how much of what you paid will you get back? Will they refund if you cancel for any reason (including buyers remorse) or only for specific reasons? What about cancelling for medical reasons? If you have a heart condition when you book the trip, will they pay if you have a heart attack? What about if you have to cancel because something happens to your chronically ill elderly parents?

So, what is that Amex policy offering and how does it compare to what Viking offers, etc.? (BTW, Viking has changed its coverage and is now offering its TI policy through TravelGuard).

saturday night fever--TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE, tell me more.

Viking changed my return from changing planes, same day onward in Poland, to the forced overnight in Vienna. We went back to our TA and it was re-changed back. Its a southbound cruise.

saturday night fever--TELL ME MORE, TELL ME MORE, tell me more.

Viking changed my return from changing planes, same day onward in Poland, to the forced overnight in Vienna. We went back to our TA and it was re-changed back. Its a southbound cruise.

Being retired and not being in a great rush to get home, we thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed return with a [paid for] overnight in Vienna. But I know that many people have time constraints and want / need to get home as soon as possible.

Thom

PS Wasn't that song "Summer Nights" from Grease [not Sat. Night Fever]? John Travolta either way.

Guilty as charged. After I posted realized mea culpa.

Anyway, we are traveling June 12 from Kiev to Odessa on Viking.

We've been on other Viking cruises and some idea of what we will see and such. I noticed that the buses travel along with us from stop to stop,

of course not on the boat.

Any tips?

Thank you.

Lou

... we are traveling June 12 from Kiev to Odessa on Viking.

We've been on other Viking cruises and some idea of what we will see and such. I noticed that the buses travel along with us from stop to stop,

of course not on the boat....

Yes, I was surprised that our bus and driver stayed the same throughout the trip; the Guides also stayed the same [and did travel on the boat].

We did the first cruise in 2011 - late April-early May. Weather was very nice. A likely first solo outing would be up the funicular to downtown, this being within sight from the boat. We wandered around to find an ATM to get Ukrainian hryvnia [being there for almost two weeks it is certainly worthwhile to be able to buy snacks, etc in local currency] to then discover that there was an ATM right at the entrance of the funicular.

One mistake we made was leaving the window open to enjoy the fresh air as we headed into the delta right before the Black Sea. We got hundreds, if not thousands, of some sort of flying marsh bug:eek:. They didn't sting or anything, but it took us days even with the crew helping to evict the last of them. I don't know how seasonal these bugs are, but think before leaving your windows open.

Not much in the way of exiting castle or such like along the river, but it was a very pleasant way of visiting the Ukraine.

Enjoy

Thom

Back to insurance. You get what you pay for.

It's not the price that counts but what the policy covers--and doesn't cover. If you have to cancel, how much of what you paid will you get back? Will they refund if you cancel for any reason (including buyers remorse) or only for specific reasons? What about cancelling for medical reasons? If you have a heart condition when you book the trip, will they pay if you have a heart attack? What about if you have to cancel because something happens to your chronically ill elderly parents?

So, what is that Amex policy offering and how does it compare to what Viking offers, etc.? (BTW, Viking has changed its coverage and is now offering its TI policy through TravelGuard).

Well I think I missed my 14 day cancel for any reason including pre-existing medical conditions window. I put down $500, don't have to pay the rest till end of may. If I cancel then I'd lose $100.

I'm doing a princess trans Atlantic cruise in April, I just want to get thru that b4 I make hard decisions about this trip.

I don't have elderly parents, when I get back from the other trip, I'll decide on the Kiev extension. And I bet if I add that, they'll let me have the cancel for any reason insurance.

• 2 months later...

Viking Lomonosov, the boat used by Viking on the Dneiper was named for Mikhail Lomonosov, a Russian scientist, whose 300th birthday was 19 Nov 2011. The Feb 2012 issue of Physics Today [available at many libraries] has an article on Lomonosov's life [pp40-46]. If you are going, read the article and impress your fellow passengers with your knowledge:D

Thom

Not exactly true. Viking isn't offering a Kiev extension when we sail--as much I would have liked to do it since there isn't enough time in Kiev. The extension is offered as a pre-tour only when you start in Kiev or a post-tour only when you end in Kiev.

Let me update this. When we booked in November, Viking told us that there was no Kiev extension available on our cruise. However, in March I decided to ask my TA to double check to see if maybe it was now available. I am so glad that I did because we are now booked for the Kiev post-cruise and we were able to do so without incurring any change of air reservation fees.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I are booked for an August Viking cruise. My wife and I love walking tours in cities and like the Viking free time for exploring cities.

Two of my grandparents were born about 15 miles outside of Odessa. I will arrive a couple days early and would like to get a driver and/or english speaking guide to take us from our Odessa hotel to some of the villages to sight see, prior to boarding our cruise ship.

We plan on staying several extra days in Kiev and the heading home via a few days in Lviv.

We would like to do something similar (no family connection) outside of Kiev and Lviv. That is maybe an English speaking driver/guide who could take just my wife and I to some of the sights outside of town that are a bit off the beaten path.

We are use to walking and hiking. Last summer while in Helsinki, we walked about 11 miles with some lunch and snack breaks. In cities we really like to be on our own, except where a guide lets you get early or expedited entry to museums.