Please help us choose!! Radiance or Serenade

Darren13

Hello:

This will be our 1st cruise (30 somethings) with our 8 year old daughter and we are trying to decide betw Radiance leaving Miami on 3/13 (Sunday) or Serenade leaving San Juan on 3/12 (Sat). Both are the same price, so $$$$ is not the issue. My wife thinks the Radiance would be better for us since it only makes 3 stops (Coco, St. Mar. and St Th) and we can get more use of the ship. The Ser. makes 6 stops, (St T and M, Antiigua, Barbados, St Lucie). My thoughts are the Sere. is sailing in the southern car. and are almost guaranteed hot, sunny days, but does not leave until 10pm The Radiance is saling in and around the Atlantic, so possible lower temps, but leaving 5pm. The Ser is Sat to Sat so we get a day to recoup before returning to work, but then again we can fly into Miami from Philly on Saturday for the Radinace trip to rest up for the big day. Oh some many things to consider before deciding by tomorrow. Any help or feedback would be very much appriciated. Has anyone been on these inteniarys last year.

Thank:) s

We've done the Radiance and also have done several Voyager class trips. That being said, personally I think the Southern route is the nicest. Also, both ships are exactly the same layout. Remember, this class of ship does not have the ice rink, in line skating and the large promanade, so it is not as "hard" to get to do everything. We take our 13 and 11 yr old with us when we cruise, and I think a more port intensive intinerary is better cause there is more to do. Just my opinion. Either way you'll have a good time.

I have done both the cruises your are looking at. One thing to consider is the airfare to San Jaun will be much more expensive than it is to Miami, atleast thta is the case from Detroit where I live. The southern route is not a very relaxing cruise due to all the ports, but you do get to see alot of different places.

We just did the same Radiance trip your looking at in November and loved it, great ports, plenty of time on the ship to enjoy all it has to offer. If I was you I would choose Radiance.

This is just my opinion.

There is no question in my mind that the southern caribbean is a much better route. The weather is much better, and as far as restful, there is no law that says you have to get off the ship in every port. You have a choice. I would surely do the Serenade! OH WAIT!!! I AM DOING IT IN APRIL :D

Have a great time whichever you choose :)

We have sailed on Radiance and are doing her again in April. We love the Radiance, but I would recommend doing the southern route on Serenade. Much calmer waters, temps are much warmer and islands are better. We sailed Radiance last March and it was very windy. Remember you will be sailing in the Atlantic more than in the Caribbean. Temps were in the 70's, but winds made it feel much cooler. Both ships are the same layout, but I think that your daughter would enjoy the southern route, especially with all the beautiful beaches. Have a wonderful cruise.

All things being the same do the southern. You can always stay on the ship when you are in port but you can not get off the ship when it is at sea.

We have taken our daughter on all the cruises in my signature. She is now 9

We did the Serenade Southern Caribbean last March. Being our first cruise

we didn't know what to expect with a different port every day, but after

the first couple of days, it was nice to wake up to a different island. Plus,

the last day is a sea day so you have a chance to relax and recooperate.

We loved leaving from San Juan. It's like adding an extra island to your

itinerary! Especially if you can go a day early, or even check in on the ship

and then get back off and explore til closer to sailing time. We boarded

early (before noon) and were able to go to our cabin immediately. We spent

the rest of the day exploring the ship to get our bearings.

We did another shorter cruise out of Miami on the Majesty of the Seas in Oct.

Can't really compare the two ships since Serenade is alot newer.

I will say

that the clientele on the San Juan departure was alot more upscale than

what we encountered leaving from Miami. Example: On the Serenade, you

would have an almost full dining room every night (you did not have a wait,

just more people ate in the Dining Room) and people dressed accordingly.

(Resort casual, formal, whatever the dress was of the night). On the Majesty

the dining rooms were almost empty. I don't know if it was a matter of most

passengers preferring the buffet? (to each his own, but the dining room is

one of my fav parts of cruising) or if it was an attempt to not tip? Who knows! In any case, we will not cruise out of Miami again if we can help it.

My vote: Definately the Serenade!!

Thanks for all the advise. What a crazy 2 days. After I posted this tread and all the feedback, I decided on the Serenade, which I wanted all along. I think we will have much hotter weather, which I love. I'm calling my TA and she takes my information and placed me on hold. She comes back and tells me all the 3 person rooms are sold. I could not believe it. Making sure, I checked Icruse RCC etc and 3 person rooms available. All this excitement down the tubes. This morning I recv a call from my wife that the TA called and found a room. Room 9524 on the Serenade. 3/12/05. YAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

We're a very fun couple and look forward to meeting as many people as possible. We'll see you in 37 days.

Rhonda,

I think the difference was probably the cruise length not the departure port.We were just on the Radiance out of Miami and the diningroom was full every night and most people dressed accordingly.I have been on a couple shorter cruises also.Shorter cruises tend to be more party intensive and casual.

Thanks for all the advise. What a crazy 2 days. After I posted this tread and all the feedback, I decided on the Serenade, which I wanted all along. I think we will have much hotter weather, which I love. I'm calling my TA and she takes my information and placed me on hold. She comes back and tells me all the 3 person rooms are sold. I could not believe it. Making sure, I checked Icruse RCC etc and 3 person rooms available. All this excitement down the tubes. This morning I recv a call from my wife that the TA called and found a room. Room 9524 on the Serenade. 3/12/05. YAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

We're a very fun couple and look forward to meeting as many people as possible. We'll see you in 37 days.

Darren13 - come introduce yourself to some new friends you'll be sailing with:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2934488#post2934488

Look forward to meeting you.

Archived