Computers + security on Viking Kirov, August 2010

Scudrunner

I am contemplating taking a laptop computer along for basic “link back home” communications, camera photo transfers and perhaps translation lookups. On my last Viking riverboat trip, Paris to Prague, they had one computer to rent with minimal software on it. I had better luck at an Internet Café. A small number of computers on the Kirov, for X number of passengers, draws a bleak picture for availability.

I am mostly concerned about onboard cabin security because I do not want to lug it around with me like a dead Albatross around my neck. So, the quandary is, “Do I carry the thing everywhere? Leave it locked in my suitcase (not very secure) Or perhaps invest in something more portable like an iPad or notepad size computer?”

I would like an opinion from anyone who has experienced and resolved these concerns.

Thank you,

Scudrunner

I leave my computer and about $5000 worth of photo equipment in the open in the room. Nobody has taken anything yet. If fact, when I leave a camera on the bed, the cabin steward puts it away for me.

DON

Most of the cabin attendants are unwilling to risk their jobs to steal a laptop that would probably sell for a few hundred dollars on the black market. Also, the report of a stolen computer would result in the ship's security staff doing an exhaustive search. I have a 10 inch netbook, which is very portable and I also have a combination lock security cable which can secure it to a a pipe or other fixed object. However, on ships, I don't bother to use it. I do use it in hotel rooms, but a heavy duty wire cutter would easily defeat it.

The data on my netbook is worth far more to an identity thief than the new cost of $350. I do use heavy duty encryption for sensitive data. Yes, I know that the NSA could break it in a few hours of computer time, but I don't think I'm in their target market.

I am contemplating taking a laptop computer along for basic “link back home” communications, camera photo transfers and perhaps translation lookups. On my last Viking riverboat trip, Paris to Prague, they had one computer to rent with minimal software on it. I had better luck at an Internet Café. A small number of computers on the Kirov, for X number of passengers, draws a bleak picture for availability.

I am mostly concerned about onboard cabin security because I do not want to lug it around with me like a dead Albatross around my neck. So, the quandary is, “Do I carry the thing everywhere? Leave it locked in my suitcase (not very secure) Or perhaps invest in something more portable like an iPad or notepad size computer?”

I would like an opinion from anyone who has experienced and resolved these concerns.

Thank you,

Scudrunner

I am also going in the Kirov in August and plan to take my 10 inch notebook. Is there WIFI available? Thanks

We took a 10" 1.5kg laptop on Viking ships in Ukraine and Russia, Uniworld River Countess, numerous hotels and B&Bs in Europe in 2008 and similar establishments and cruise ships in the Middle East in 2010. We used safes where these were available and our suitcases (unlocked) when safes were not available. No problems, but no guarrantees as thieves can strike anywhere. I suspect pickpockets in town are a bigger problem than cruise ship staff.

I often take a laptop when travelling, but on our recent cruise on the Kirov opted not to do so. The Kirov has free WIFI in all areas of the ship and a small internet centre with two laptops for use by passengers.

I did not miss my own laptop, although there were a number of passengers using theirs in the public areas. It was usually possible to get on to one of the two public laptops without much of a wait.

The main problem was that for much of the cruise the connection was either very slow or non-existent. The staff mentioned certain technical problems which they hoped to fix, but who knows?

There are also lots of internet cafés available on shore, including one at dockside in St. Petersburg.

On balance, I certainly had no regrets about leaving my laptop behind.

I travel all over with my netbook. Just got back from a 19 day trip to Israel and the netbook came with me. It went with me on Uniworld's 2 week Budapest to Amsterdam in 2008. They were not offering WiFi on the River Princess at that time, but some nights I could pick up an open hot spot sitting on the sun deck.

The internet cafe's in Germany had German keyboards that were a little hard for my to use, so I was glad I had the netbook and could pick up the Wifi there.

I have found that WiFi in European and foreign hotels is quite expensive. Here in the US, the cheaper the motel chain, the more likely it is to have free WiFi.

Don, that is incredible in this day and age when pilfering is so common.

Thanks or the reply.

Scudrunner

First of all, I refuse to be owned by my possessions. If I have to worry about my stuff being stolen, I will buy a $99.95 P&S and an old laptop.

Secondly, you will note that in all the many responses to many posts including yours about hiding, locking up, or chaining their equipment to a bulkhead, nobody has come back to say that they had electronic equipment stolen from their cabin. Seems to me that this suggests that you are over reacting and those of us who don't worry about the theft of our stuff are correct.

If anyone out there has had their electronic stuff stolen from their cabin, please reply and tell me that I am wrong.

DON

First of all, I refuse to be owned by my possessions. If I have to worry about my stuff being stolen, I will buy a $99.95 P&S and an old laptop.

Secondly, you will note that in all the many responses to many posts including yours about hiding, locking up, or chaining their equipment to a bulkhead, nobody has come back to say that they had electronic equipment stolen from their cabin. Seems to me that this suggests that you are over reacting and those of us who don't worry about the theft of our stuff are correct.

If anyone out there has had their electronic stuff stolen from their cabin, please reply and tell me that I am wrong.

DON

I think you are correct in your analysis of cost versus risk. When you consider that most electronic equipment would have a pawn shop value of 10 to 25 per cent of retail, you have to ask if an employee is likely to risk a presumably good job for that. Likely the greater risk is in identity theft, so you would be far better to secure the contents of your laptop (via encription or other reasonably secure means), rather than chaining you laptop to a drainpipe!

• 2 months later...

I'll answer my own question. There is an onboard safe that is large enough for a netbook and passports etc. No problem. The Kirov also had freebie internet when available. Sometimes there were connections available where you would not expect.

Scudrunner

Archived