Oasis gets its lifeboat back...

What a neat site! Thanks! Only problem is I am having a difficult time navigating it to get the kind of close up shot that you got. Could you tell me how to locate a ship and zoom in. Any other cool features on the site that I should know about? By now you have figured out that I am not the sharpest knife in the IT tool box!

What a neat site! Thanks! Only problem is I am having a difficult time navigating it to get the kind of close up shot that you got. Could you tell me how to locate a ship and zoom in. Any other cool features on the site that I should know about? By now you have figured out that I am not the sharpest knife in the IT tool box!

You can move the webcam around at http://PortEvergladesWebcam.com . Scroll the page down and you will find the camera viewer.

First, you have to request control... so click the "Start Control" button. The bar above will turn green and show you have 2 minutes of control time when granted. There's a queue if the camera is busy and will tell you how long you have to wait.

Once you have control, you can select a preset view which will take you to Oasis (for example) or you can pan around the port with the slider controls. There are three... one at the bottom of the image for left-right movement, one on the righthand side for up-down and finally, one on the far right to zoom in or out. I took this snapshot on full zoom I think.

Tip: move around the port while zoomed out, otherwise it takes a long time and is diffcult to find things. Zoom in only when you find something of interest.

Tip: grab the sliders with your mouse and drag slowly for a continuous motion or click on the arrows at the end of the sliders for small, incremental step movements.

http://PortFever.com is an archive site for this same camera and you can selelct the Browse... option to review historical images captured every minute for the last few months. You can control image play back like it was a DVD or VCR. However, you can't retoactivley zoom in or out. To find ships in port or to see what's coming or going, click on the Marine Traffic link and you will see a map of the port with little icons for all kinds of different vessels, with their positions updated every 90 seconds... courtesy of MarineTraffic.com . There's other stuff too so feel free to explore.

Hope this helps. If I didn't answer your question... ping me again!

David.

www.portfever.com

Just watched them hoist a new(?) lifeboat #1 in the front slot, starboard side. Last week they added a wave baffle to protect this boat. That still needs a lick of paint!

oasis_lifeboat_3.jpg

More shots of the activity this morning are in the Port Everglades Webcam archive at PortFever.com .

David.

www.portfever.com

Interesting that it's the old lifeboat. I wonder where they failed in their original plan as in January it sounded as though they had no doubts of it not working. Originally they were supposed to replace the front lifeboat on each side with a uni-hull design (more traditional) that would break any waves in half so that they flow around the back lifeboats. The problem in the transatlantic occurred when water would get stuck in the center of the hull lifting the boat up. It seems something went wrong at some point in that plan as they instead just repaired the old lifeboat and added a gigantic water breaker instead.

During the second question of part 8 of my Captain's Corner videos you can hear Captain Wright explain the plan:

Interesting that it's the old lifeboat. I wonder where they failed in their original plan as in January it sounded as though they had no doubts of it not working. Originally they were supposed to replace the front lifeboat on each side with a uni-hull design (more traditional) that would break any waves in half so that they flow around the back lifeboats. The problem in the transatlantic occurred when water would get stuck in the center of the hull lifting the boat up. It seems something went wrong at some point in that plan as they instead just repaired the old lifeboat and added a gigantic water breaker instead.

During the second question of part 8 of my Captain's Corner videos you can hear Captain Wright explain the plan:

Fascinating video. Thanks for sharing. I had not seen before and now I will have to watch them all! I like Bill Wright too... a mariner and an exec with a sense of humor. :)

She just left Port Everglades, the webcam appeared to reveal that the port lifeboat slot was still empty. I would guess they'll dock starboard side next week and pick it up then.

Theron

Archived