Rainpants/windpants?

Tarheelbelle

Hi, I don't think these are technically wind or rain pants, but I bought a pair at Target a few weeks ago for less than $20. I think they will be adequate because they will be quick-drying. Not sure how they will be about the wind though!

I have a rain suit that I primarily use for golf that I took to Alask last summer--bascially a gortex pair of pants that I can put on over my slacks and a gortex windbreaker. Anytime you start buying rain resistant/repelant clothing and it is manufactured with Gortex (or similar), prices go way up. I think my suit cost almost $300. It is a lot of money, but I have had it for 8 years now--it keeps me incredibly dry, even on the wetest days, and hasn't lost a bit of its water repelant capability. You certainly don't need to spend that much, but they are most effective (also pretty darn warm too). Check places like REI, LL Bean, Golfsmith, etc.

There is a similar post on this board where a few folks have posted links to suppliers of such rain gear.

I buy all of my outdoor wear for kayaking, etc. at http://www.campmor.com. They are much cheaper than REI (most expensive place) and offer the same brands and much better selection and 1/2 the cost.

Make sure the material is something like Gortex labeled "breathable" because it allows perspiration to escape. Otherwise your body will be wet from perspiration especially if you do anything very active like hiking, kayaking, etc.

I buy all of my outdoor wear for kayaking, etc. at http://www.campmor.com. They are much cheaper than REI (most expensive place) and offer the same brands and much better selection and 1/2 the cost.

Make sure the material is something like Gortex labeled "breathable" because it allows perspiration to escape. Otherwise your body will be wet from perspiration especially if you do anything very active like hiking, kayaking, etc.

Thanks so much Maryellen1952!! I bought 8 items at Campmor for the price I was seeing for 1 pair of rainpants on the other sites!

Lynn

You don't need anything more than WalMart, I got my at Costco.

Whole outfit, jacket and pants..... $69.Cdn....... gortex, and believe it or not, it's a really good suit. Never really needed the pants, except for glacier.

Archived