Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

It depends on the cruise. I have shot anywhere from 50 minutes to 2.5 hours. As I have done more work with my post cruise videos, I have taken more. Also took more when my DD was onboard with us as well as the panama canal. I have figured out some of what I like and want to shoot so I think that cuts out the random stuff I will not use. I have also used some older "stock" video for certain things as well.

Tim

How much raw footage are you guys shooting??? My first cruise I had over 5 hours, my last cruise I was down to 40 minutes.

It all depends on the cruise. For a 2 week cruise 2 to 3 hours is typical. I always shoot more videos that I end up using. I often shoot when I first see a sight. Then if I get a better vantage point or if the light changes, I shoot the same view again. Having too much is better than too little, but it does mean more work.

Now that my photo camera can shoot HD video, I also shoot short video clips to combine with [hotos to create a composite movie using Windows Live Movie Mkaer, which takes much less time than a full fledged video edit with Pinnacle Studio.

Fore on the Floor- I'm not really sure what the tally was on my raw footage, but I agree, it definitely depends on the length of the cruise. I know I had a lot on our 12 day Grand Med cruise on the Carnival Dream!

We have a short cruise (5 day) coming up July 10th on the Carnival Ecstasy, so I'm sure it won't be near as much raw footage.

I agree though, it is better to have more and edit it out than to have missed the shot completely.

Marty

What type of media are most of you using to record your videos? My camera uses SD cards and on a 16GB card, I can get 1 hour of full HD video. I have 3 cards I usually bring along, but can see how taking more or longer video will require more. What size do you find best?

You do know you are taking way too much video when DW starts to nag you saying "can we go now, you have videoed the ship 3 times now.."

What type of media are most of you using to record your videos? My camera uses SD cards and on a 16GB card, I can get 1 hour of full HD video. I have 3 cards I usually bring along, but can see how taking more or longer video will require more. What size do you find best?

You do know you are taking way too much video when DW starts to nag you saying "can we go now, you have videoed the ship 3 times now.."

I take my Canon Vixia HD video camera with me and it stores a full hour of HD quality on a mini DV cassette. I shoot short clips with my photo camera which has SD cards. I have several 8 and 4 GB cards. Plus I take my laptop and a portable 320 GB USB drive to download pictures and video clips from the SD cards. My DW takes better photos with her DSLR and I usually end up waiting for her!

My laptop does not have Firewire. So I have to wait until I get home to download the videos.

Here is what the photo+clips using my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 looks like

produced with Windows Live Movie Maker very quickly

compared to the Canon Vixia Video Camera based movie with just a few photos added

produced with Pinnacle studio with much more effort.

Tim - I have a SONY HDR-XR500V. Records on an internal hard drive (but can also record on memory sticks).

I had bought a similar Sony camcorder that had a 60 GB hard drive. I returned it after I read "Do not use above 13,000 feet" warning in the manual. Since Cusco is slightly more than 12,000 feet, I did not want to risk it!

You guys rock. So much info. This is great! I do need to go get a Mac. I'm starting to price them because I just bought a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX1 camera. I went with it because it's small and shots (720p) video. Got a real great deal and got a 32GB Pro-HG Duo stick. Think it holds somewhere in the 7hrs. (720p) or 7,000 pics. They say I should get about 1 1/2hrs. out of the battery. I haven't gotten any editing software yet. Saving for that Mac. But I do have another question. I have a video setting for NTSC or PAL. Which one is better to shot in? I read PAL is higher res but NTSC takes more frame a sec. I don't plan on taking video of race cars or anything. Just of every day stuff. I just got it tonight so I haven't had time to really see what it can do. I know you all know better then any other web site :o

You guys rock. So much info. I have a video setting for NTSC or PAL. Which one is better to shot in? I read PAL is higher res but NTSC takes more frame a sec:o

The US uses NTSC format on TV. If ypu burn DVDs, they need to be NTSC format. PAL is for Europe and parts of Asia.

I have a video setting for NTSC or PAL. Which one is better to shot in? I read PAL is higher res but NTSC takes more frame a sec. I don't plan on taking video of race cars or anything. Just of every day stuff. I just got it tonight so I haven't had time to really see what it can do. I know you all know better then any other web site :o

PAL is a Europe standard and NTSC is the North American standard. If you are living in Florida you will want to stay with NTSC. They are two different broadcast types, sort of like trying to run MAC software on a PC.

better check 100 degrees and 100% humidity operation :D

dileep - aye, and actually no joke!

We just did a long weekend down in South Padre Island and I was recording some footage just as we exited the hotel and got into that hot/humid air, and the lens fogged up! Couldn't use that sequence. But, after a few minutes, it went away and I was able to get some nice beach footage on South Padre.

We will be doing a 5 day cruise to Progresso & Cozumel in a couple of weeks, so the camera will get some more operational "test" in heat & humidity. We'll see how it does.

I'll post the video after completed, for everyone's feedback!!

Marty

dileep - aye, and actually no joke!

We just did a long weekend down in South Padre Island and I was recording some footage just as we exited the hotel and got into that hot/humid air, and the lens fogged up! Couldn't use that sequence. But, after a few minutes, it went away and I was able to get some nice beach footage on South Padre.

We will be doing a 5 day cruise to Progresso & Cozumel in a couple of weeks, so the camera will get some more operational "test" in heat & humidity. We'll see how it does.

I'll post the video after completed, for everyone's feedback!!

Marty

I have had the same issues with taking my video camera or regular camera from an inside location with AC to an outside location and the lens fogged up. Even after whipping it clean, it still came back. Figured out that I needed to let the camera sit outside for a bit to get adjusted and to not have the fog issues.

Tim - I know, my brain works the same way :p ;)!

Looking forward to producing a "much improved" video while on our short 5 day Carnival Ecstasy cruise. I plan on reading the information/tips provided by Pinnacle regarding videography. I already noticed on my South Padre Video, I didn't go crazy with the panning/zooming. I think you have to take deliberate shots and keep the camera panning/zooming to a minimum...

Marty

Tim - I know, my brain works the same way :p ;)!

Looking forward to producing a "much improved" video while on our short 5 day Carnival Ecstasy cruise. I plan on reading the information/tips provided by Pinnacle regarding videography. I already noticed on my South Padre Video, I didn't go crazy with the panning/zooming. I think you have to take deliberate shots and keep the camera panning/zooming to a minimum...

Marty

Remember slow panning and zooming make a world of difference when using the zoom or panning. Also remember that lighting makes a difference as well. I have found taking video into the sun or panning into the sun can cause some issues. I did try utilizing a polarized filter with my camera with mixed results.

Just my opinion....but a video editing program is only as good as you are comfortable using it. It won't help much if you spend money on an editing program with features you don't know how to use or aren't comfortable working with.

I've made a few cruise videos and although none of them are "great" I have become better at editing each time. I use the basic movie maker program that was included on my p.c.

I will eventually break down and get a mac....I'm just dreading learning a new program now that I'm comfortable with movie maker. Here is my most recent video with this very basic/free program:

Good luck!!!

Bruce

Bruce, LOVED your vid. My cruise sails in less than FIVE days, and your video made me even MORE excited! Thanks for sharing!

Just my opinion....but a video editing program is only as good as you are comfortable using it. It won't help much if you spend money on an editing program with features you don't know how to use or aren't comfortable working with.

I've made a few cruise videos and although none of them are "great" I have become better at editing each time. I use the basic movie maker program that was included on my p.c.

I will eventually break down and get a mac....I'm just dreading learning a new program now that I'm comfortable with movie maker. Here is my most recent video with this very basic/free program:

Good luck!!!

Bruce

Watched your video and thought it was great! Good Job!

Randall

Hey guys...new poster in this forum.

Anyone else pick up a Kodak Playsport yet? Great little HD capable minicam that is also waterproof to 3 meters, so its perfect for cruises!

I'm working on editing some cruise video presently. Picked up Nero Multimedia Suite 10 to do my editing and DVD burning. The basic and AVCHD DVDs turned out fine. Next project is converting the raw AVI files into MP4 so that I can upload to Youtube quickly and cleanly. I found a tool called "Hand Brake" that looks like it will do the trick.

Bruce, LOVED your vid. My cruise sails in less than FIVE days, and your video made me even MORE excited! Thanks for sharing!

Bruce's video is what inspired me to pick up a new camera and editing software to document our recent cruise on Liberty. Hopefully I'll be able to post it up here at some point soon...

Has anyone tried one of those pocket HD cameras. I was thinking of picking up the Kodak playsport. Would love to hear some feed back from someone that has tried one.

Love the Kodak Playsport. Highly recommend it.

The built in editing software doesn't allow multiple audio tracks and etc but its very handy for basic editing.

Check out the Youtube link below to see a quick and dirty video I made of a recent tubing trip with the wife and kids. It was really handy being able to clip the Playsport into a little pouch so that it was accessible without having to worry about it getting wet.

It was recorded in 720p with 60FPS. So be sure to view it in 720HD. It was uploaded as a raw AVI. Will probably work with MP4s in the future.

All of the video and the stills were taken with the Playsport and the editing was done with the Kodak software. No soundtrack on this one.

Picked up Nero Multimedia Suite 10 to do my editing and DVD burning. The basic and AVCHD DVDs turned out fine. Next project is converting the raw AVI files into MP4 so that I can upload to Youtube quickly and cleanly. I found a tool called "Hand Brake" that looks like it will do the trick.

You should be able to use Nero to create mpeg or wmv files to upload to YouTube.

Archived