Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Just got a new "little" camera. Panasonic DMC-TS2. This little wonder takes pretty good stills -- and very good video with decent sound -- and it will work underwater (to 33 feet) and keep going in rain, sleet, snow, mist, sea spray, dust and sand. I got it because when cruising we nearly always run into some weather -- or a waterfall -- or beaches -- or some condition where my big video camera might get damaged. I wanted the ability to keep shooting in those situations, even if the quality might not match my BIG camera. But -- I'm truly surprised at how good this thing is. It uses AVCHD Lite as one of it's video formats and that edits easily in Sony Vegas. I slapped together this little clip when some weather suddenly came up here in California. What really impressed me, besides the sharp hi-def, was how well the sound picks things up outside.

The video from the camera is pretty good. Has the limit most video from a picture camera has in terms of not great in low light, but very impressive. I agree that the hi-def is very sharp. What exactly do they say AVCHD lite is??? How is it different than regular AVCHD? I have never hear of that. I did notice the same issue I have with my Canon D10 in terms of water droplets on the lens.

Having a camera that is weather proof is nice, especially on the cruise. Can take it snorkeling, out in the rain, whitewater rafting, etc. or give to your 6 year old and not have to worry about it getting broken.

Just got a new "little" camera. Panasonic DMC-TS2. This little wonder takes pretty good stills -- and very good video with decent sound -- and it will work underwater (to 33 feet) and keep going in rain, sleet, snow, mist, sea spray, dust and sand. I got it because when cruising we nearly always run into some weather -- or a waterfall -- or beaches -- or some condition where my big video camera might get damaged. I wanted the ability to keep shooting in those situations, even if the quality might not match my BIG camera. But -- I'm truly surprised at how good this thing is. It uses AVCHD Lite as one of it's video formats and that edits easily in Sony Vegas. I slapped together this little clip when some weather suddenly came up here in California. What really impressed me, besides the sharp hi-def, was how well the sound picks things up outside.

Paul- very sharp imaging! I like the new camera. I was just thinking about this type of camera, where you copuld take it to the beach, in the water, in pools, etc and not worry about damaging the primary camera.

Have fun with it and can't wait for you to incorporate it into your next movie!

Marty

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got this finished.

http://blip.tv/file/4551673

Questions and comments always welcome.

Great stuff! You shot a lot, and it edited together into a nice piece. Good use of titles to push ideas along.

One constructive suggestion, and it's not a criticism...

I find that when you include a touch of natural, background audio in shots, and the cross-fade those, you can really add life to the video. I'm not talking about stuff you can actually hear and make out...I'm talking really quiet (-30dB) stuff that you can't really hear...but it's enough to make you feel like you're there. The sections you have with natural sound are the best parts, and the sound tightens back up after those clips. They would flow a bit more if there was a touch of audio to grab onto...just a touch.

Great job though...I was a high school video teacher for a couple of years, so I'm just like this when people ask for suggestions ;) I'm sure one day, I'll end up being the enrichment lecturer on ships showing people how to shoot better vacation videos. Haha...

Great stuff! You shot a lot, and it edited together into a nice piece. Good use of titles to push ideas along.

One constructive suggestion, and it's not a criticism...

I find that when you include a touch of natural, background audio in shots, and the cross-fade those, you can really add life to the video. I'm not talking about stuff you can actually hear and make out...I'm talking really quiet (-30dB) stuff that you can't really hear...but it's enough to make you feel like you're there. The sections you have with natural sound are the best parts, and the sound tightens back up after those clips. They would flow a bit more if there was a touch of audio to grab onto...just a touch.

Great job though...I was a high school video teacher for a couple of years, so I'm just like this when people ask for suggestions ;) I'm sure one day, I'll end up being the enrichment lecturer on ships showing people how to shoot better vacation videos. Haha...

Thanks for the input, I hear what your saying a totally agree.

Okay, back from the cruise and now I am trying to sort through the pictures (I only took 1633....) and video. Did find time to play with a new feature on iMovie to make a trailer for my pending cruise video.....

This link is for a basic slide show from some of the pictures.

On a side note, I signed up (aka paid) for the improved Vimeo. Less time to load, and I can get bigger files uploaded. There apparently is not the 10 minute limit like youtube, so we shall see. Should allow the full HD as well. Guess I'll find out.

Tim

I've been a professional video editor for 15 years, and have seen the industry go from a tape-based system that only professionals could get involved in, to a wide-open art that everyone can enjoy. It's great that everyone can make videos these days...and it's really accessable.

If I was just starting out...I would suggest a Mac, personally. They've had a long history with video, and work with them really well. The software ranges from Avid & Final Cut Pro...all the way down to iMovie, and it's all really decent. That's just me...everyone is different, and some people don't like Macs. I just know they're better from years of video-related experience.

But, if you have a PC, then I would suggest Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Pinnacle, Nero, or Windows Movie Maker. Premiere is the best (other than Avid, which is professional and requires hardware). PC's aren't ideal for working with video, but they do work. Be careful to not get your hard drive too fragmented, and save often...that's all I have to say about that.

Either platform...get as much RAM as you can. Video is about the toughest thing for your computer to handle, and it really stresses it. RAM helps, and massive hard drive space...as much as you can afford. It really helps make the experience more enjoyable.

Nice Panama Canal video! I made a timelapse a few years ago when I was the video tech onboard the Radiance of the Sea and posted it to YouTube...here's a link:

Great video...

Okay, back from the cruise and now I am trying to sort through the pictures (I only took 1633....) and video. Did find time to play with a new feature on iMovie to make a trailer for my pending cruise video.....

On a side note, I signed up (aka paid) for the improved Vimeo. Less time to load, and I can get bigger files uploaded. There apparently is not the 10 minute limit like youtube, so we shall see. Should allow the full HD as well. Guess I'll find out.

Tim

You got to love Apple and IMovie.... what a program for editing video...

I love this thread, its fun seeing everyones videos. I used to do a lot with video but got board with it. I am going to start playing with it again. Here is a video shot on the IPhone 4 and edited with the IPhone imovie app while the wife drove us home from the beach.

On our Alaska cruise I shot a bunch of clips to put together a movie on the phone but never completed it. Maybe this will get me going on putting it together.

I have it posted here for you guys to check out.

http://gallery.me.com/rlmosherjr#100221/IMG_0173&bgcolor=black

If the first link does not work try the second one.

http://gallery.me.com/rlmosherjr#gallery

I love this thread, its fun seeing everyones videos. I used to do a lot with video but got board with it. I am going to start playing with it again. Here is a video shot on the IPhone 4 and edited with the IPhone imovie app while the wife drove us home from the beach.

On our Alaska cruise I shot a bunch of clips to put together a movie on the phone but never completed it. Maybe this will get me going on putting it together.

Tried both links. Neither one worked for me. Just a white space where the video should be.

Tim

Tim - loved the trailer...that was very cool. Also, loved the slideshow. Beautiful pictures.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim

Nice work Tim on the trailer and the video ... Excellent.

Try this link then follow the Album

http//gallery.me.com/rlmosherjr

Tim - loved the trailer...that was very cool. Also, loved the slideshow. Beautiful pictures.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. The trailer is something new they added to iMovie. They have several themes you can use. The down side to it I have found, is that you have to use video for all the media and can not use pictures. Would have preferred to use pictures for the section about who was in the movie. Oh well. Still working on putting together more of the video....

Okay, got part 1 done of my video. Use iMovie to do this. Use more of the transitions and effects. Still want to clean up a few parts. Not happy with the way the video of me came out on the end. I think I had the external mike set for 120 degrees, rather than 90 or not use at all. Does not appear to be any background noise. Then again, maybe I am just a bad actor.....

Tim

Not happy with the way the video of me came out on the end. I think I had the external mike set for 120 degrees, rather than 90 or not use at all. Does not appear to be any background noise. Then again, maybe I am just a bad actor.....

Tim

I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself Tim. That last bit sounds fine, you are very clearly audible over the background noise of the ship. I'm Looking forward to the rest of this cruise as I did a PanCanal cruise from LA 3 years ago so you might show some of the ports I visited. And even if you don't I'll still be interested !

Tony

Is anyone shooting HD video on their DSLR??? I was thinking about getting a new DSLR and was wonder if I could use it and leave the video camera at home. I figure a bunch of memory cards are easier to pack the another camera.

My dSLR (Canon 60D) will shot full HD video, but I have not shot much video with it. I know with my dSLR, the audio is not comparable to my video camera. It will do mono audio without a mic. I still think a dSLR is for shooting photos and a video camera is for video. You can get good video from a camera, but I have found it not as good as a dedicated video camera. Have still found that knowing what you are doing with any camera is paramount.

My dSLR (Canon 60D) will shot full HD video, but I have not shot much video with it. I know with my dSLR, the audio is not comparable to my video camera. It will do mono audio without a mic. I still think a dSLR is for shooting photos and a video camera is for video. You can get good video from a camera, but I have found it not as good as a dedicated video camera. Have still found that knowing what you are doing with any camera is paramount.

Unless I am planning to shoot a fairly long video, I use my digital camera to shoot a short video clip. Switching between camera is a pain, but definitely worth it. I used both in Antarctica.

I was looking at that canon D60 body and wondered how it did. The reviews are great on it. When I shoot for a video I take out most of the audio and I don't remember if you can attach a mic or not. I would like to rent one and give it a try and see if it would meet my needs..

Okay, got part 1 done of my video. Use iMovie to do this. Use more of the transitions and effects. Still want to clean up a few parts. Not happy with the way the video of me came out on the end. I think I had the external mike set for 120 degrees, rather than 90 or not use at all. Does not appear to be any background noise. Then again, maybe I am just a bad actor.....

Tim

Great job Tim, enjoyed part 1. Looking forward to the rest...

Marty

I was looking at that canon D60 body and wondered how it did. The reviews are great on it. When I shoot for a video I take out most of the audio and I don't remember if you can attach a mic or not. I would like to rent one and give it a try and see if it would meet my needs..

You can attach a mic to the 60D. I have not done it, but it is possible. The camera itself is great. That being said, I use it for pictures primarily as opposed to video.

Okay, I got part 2 done of my Mexican Riviera Cruise (this whole pesky work thing keeps getting in my way:mad:). Learned a few things from doing this. Imovie will not feed a movie greater than 1GB to Vimeo. I had do export the video and then upload it. Says it is still in Full 1080P. Took 3.5 hours to upload this as the video is 1.5GB. Is the quality good for the upload. Uploads from iMovie are MP4 and this upload is a .mov file that was exported from iMovie. Also figured out how to better adjust the audio on the video clips for voice. Thought it made a difference. Put more video into this one. I do like being able to only use a portion of the video clip in iMovie. Knowing you can cut out certain things in editing can make shooting a little easier knowing you can cut out a portion.

Enjoy and Let me know your thoughts.....

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

It's been awhile since I've been on this thread :o. Loved part 2 of the video. The still shots of the dolphins & whales were awesome. I have an HD monitor and they were so sharp. Especially loved the shots where they were just beneath the water.

Also, I really liked the transitions between stills, as well as the slow pans while the stills were being displayed.

Really enjoyed it! Great job!

Marty

Hi Tim,

It's been awhile since I've been on this thread :o. Loved part 2 of the video. The still shots of the dolphins & whales were awesome. I have an HD monitor and they were so sharp. Especially loved the shots where they were just beneath the water.

Also, I really liked the transitions between stills, as well as the slow pans while the stills were being displayed.

Really enjoyed it! Great job!

Marty

Thanks Marty. I was pretty lucky to get the photos of the dolphins. I ended up with about 80 in total. Just getting those shots was worth every penny I paid for the new dSLR and the 300mm lens. My FIL who was on the ship with us keep trying to get pictures of the dolphins with his point and shoot camera and got nothing.

Glad you like the transitions. I tried some different transitions and I think I liked these ones better. The pan in the stills is the Ken Burns effect which iMovie automatically puts in when you bring in stills. Works well with horizontal photos, less so with vertical photos. I do find my self going though most of the stills to make sure it looks right.

I'll have to upload part 3 sometime in the next few days. I do think I like Vimeo better. I can upload a 5GB movie, so much more capacity that youtube (granted it takes forever to upload a 1.5GB file......)

Tim

Archived