Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Okay, started to put things together and here is part 1.

All my videos on Vimeo are uploaded in MP4. This isn't anything I am doing (that I know of). It just does it automatically.

I noticed that your video is in MOV.

Do you know the difference between the two uploads?

Did you have to do something different or this because you are Vimeo Plus customer?

Thanks!

PS. I use a MacBook Pro in case that makes any difference

All my videos on Vimeo are uploaded in MP4. This isn't anything I am doing (that I know of). It just does it automatically.

I noticed that your video is in MOV.

Do you know the difference between the two uploads?

Did you have to do something different or this because you are Vimeo Plus customer?

Thanks!

PS. I use a MacBook Pro in case that makes any difference

I use a MacPro and iMovie to put this together. I do not load the video from iMovie via the link to Vimeo under the Share menu. What I do is export the movie under the Share menu to my desktop and then load it to vimeo by going to vimeo and upload a video part. When I export it to my desktop, it comes as a .mov file, basically something that quicktime can play.

I have the plus account so I can load bigger files and it also uploads them a little faster (when my internet connection cooperates) I get a 5GB per month upload limit which works better when you want to put multiple things up. Theoretically, I can upload a 5GB movie all in one video, but have yet to try that.

Tim- great job and really enjoyed part 1! I really loved the transitions between your stills...they were really cool. What was your video editing software again (sorry, I know we have discussed, but forgot :o)?

Also, since we will be on Diamond Princess next May, really enjoyed the look at the mini-suite (and it looks "suite" ;))!! Can't wait to see more of the Caribbean Princess on your video.

Must have been cool sailing out of NYC...definitely want to do that someday. Maybe a fall colors cruise to the Canadian Maritimes/NE.

Again, wonderful start and looking forward to the next part(s) :)!

Marty

Tim- great job and really enjoyed part 1! I really loved the transitions between your stills...they were really cool. What was your video editing software again (sorry, I know we have discussed, but forgot :o)?

Also, since we will be on Diamond Princess next May, really enjoyed the look at the mini-suite (and it looks "suite" ;))!! Can't wait to see more of the Caribbean Princess on your video.

Must have been cool sailing out of NYC...definitely want to do that someday. Maybe a fall colors cruise to the Canadian Maritimes/NE.

Again, wonderful start and looking forward to the next part(s) :)!

Marty

Thanks Marty. I am using iMovie to make these. Tried to get more video this time and I think I succeeded with almost 75 minutes of various video clips. Trying to figure out what to do with our pass under the Verzananos Narrows bridge. Clip is about 3:30. Maybe speed some of it up?? Going under the bridge was nice and the video clip is good, just wondering if 3:30 is too long....Ah the decisions.....

Thanks Marty. I am using iMovie to make these. Tried to get more video this time and I think I succeeded with almost 75 minutes of various video clips. Trying to figure out what to do with our pass under the Verzananos Narrows bridge. Clip is about 3:30. Maybe speed some of it up?? Going under the bridge was nice and the video clip is good, just wondering if 3:30 is too long....Ah the decisions.....

If you feel that the bridge clip is really good, you could always use part of it in your video and make another one with just that clip alone. Just a thought. I am sure you will make the right decision no matter what.

I use a MacPro and iMovie to put this together. I do not load the video from iMovie via the link to Vimeo under the Share menu. What I do is export the movie under the Share menu to my desktop and then load it to vimeo by going to vimeo and upload a video part. When I export it to my desktop, it comes as a .mov file, basically something that quicktime can play.

I have the plus account so I can load bigger files and it also uploads them a little faster (when my internet connection cooperates) I get a 5GB per month upload limit which works better when you want to put multiple things up. Theoretically, I can upload a 5GB movie all in one video, but have yet to try that.

Thanks for clarifying all that. I am still new at a lot of this stuff but learning quickly.

Tim- I say take Paul's advice and try speeding it up a bit. I bet it would still keep the effect you want. Or, speed it up as the ship approaches the bridge, slow it back down right as it goes under, and then speed it back up to finish the scene.

Regarding video footage; I have noticed that I had much more video footage than stills. So, I have to remind myself to take lots of stills when I am recording.

Marty

Tim- I say take Paul's advice and try speeding it up a bit. I bet it would still keep the effect you want. Or, speed it up as the ship approaches the bridge, slow it back down right as it goes under, and then speed it back up to finish the scene.

Regarding video footage; I have noticed that I had much more video footage than stills. So, I have to remind myself to take lots of stills when I am recording.

Marty

I am the opposite, I have to remember to take more video. Got lots more this time, but took over 1500 pictures.......I also got the cruise DVD to rip the footage of there and use some of it.

okay, here is the clip from sailing under the Verzanano Narrows bridge. Wondering if it is too long or what I should do with it. I can speed it up, but I have to cut the audio (less everyone sound like a chipmunk) and I do like some of the comments you can hear. Can also cut it down. Runs 3:30. What are your thoughts?

http://vimeo.com/25308294

okay, here is the clip from sailing under the Verzanano Narrows bridge. Wondering if it is too long or what I should do with it. I can speed it up, but I have to cut the audio (less everyone sound like a chipmunk) and I do like some of the comments you can hear. Can also cut it down. Runs 3:30. What are your thoughts?

Tim, I think in its current form it is too long. I would do one of 2 things,

speed it up or cut the approch into clear segements (where you see the bridge come closer quickly). I would take the audio away and replace it with the Enya Sailway song (you already have) but keep the ships horn in the mix. then run at normal speed & sound when you get to the part where everyone celebrates when it goes under.

btw what camera are you using for the video?

Ted

Tim, I think in its current form it is too long. I would do one of 2 things,

speed it up or cut the approch into clear segements (where you see the bridge come closer quickly). I would take the audio away and replace it with the Enya Sailway song (you already have) but keep the ships horn in the mix. then run at normal speed & sound when you get to the part where everyone celebrates when it goes under.

btw what camera are you using for the video?

Ted

I definitely want to keep the ships horn in the mix. I am thinking of using from 1:45 (about the time I got the bridge straight and we are close) till about 3 minutes or so. Not sure how easy it would be to speed up one portion and then slow another since I would have to break up the clip and I am worried about a not getting a seamless transition between the 2 clips.

As for the Camera, it is a Canon Vixia HFS100 with a directional mic with a windscreen on it.

Tim,

I agree with the comments so far (a little long). I think you can cut some of it and keep the song and keep the ships horn/people's reaction under the bridge.

On the approach, there was a little camera bouncing and also the part where there was the top of a fellow passenger's head who was also photographing; I recommend cutting those parts.

I don't think you need to cut much. I liked the stills and titles that introduce the scene. Overall, the scene is great and a ship sailing under a bridge with little clearance is always a dramatic effect :)!

Great job and looking forward to the next part(s) :rolleyes:!

Marty

I definitely want to keep the ships horn in the mix. I am thinking of using from 1:45 (about the time I got the bridge straight and we are close) till about 3 minutes or so. Not sure how easy it would be to speed up one portion and then slow another since I would have to break up the clip and I am worried about a not getting a seamless transition between the 2 clips.

As for the Camera, it is a Canon Vixia HFS100 with a directional mic with a windscreen on it.

Yes I think taking it from 1:45 seems to work, and does not appeqar to be too long when you sit and watch it.

That is a very nice camera. Did you record in the 1080p mode?

ted

What an awesome clip...the horn blowing gave me goose bumps. :p

I agree with someone else saying to keep the whole thing if you are making a personal video for your family. As for the public viewer on Vimeo it might seem a bit long.

If it were my clip I would probably make several clips from that one clip by using the clip trimmer. Then I would transition them together.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Good Luck!

Yes I think taking it from 1:45 seems to work, and does not appeqar to be too long when you sit and watch it.

That is a very nice camera. Did you record in the 1080p mode?

ted

Yup, 1080p all the way. Sucks up a ton of memory, but would not have it any other way. Camera is a few years old now, but I have been very impressed with it over time. Low light leaves something to be desired, but I think that is an issue with most consumer camcorders. Have toyed with adding a light to it.

Yup, 1080p all the way. Sucks up a ton of memory, but would not have it any other way. Camera is a few years old now, but I have been very impressed with it over time. Low light leaves something to be desired, but I think that is an issue with most consumer camcorders. Have toyed with adding a light to it.

I have the new Sony CX700v, which also records in AVCHD 1920x 1080 in 60p:eek: (that is progressive 60 frames/sec)

This is actually better than any delivery format (including BluRay) currently around and I will be recording my upcoming Alaska cruise in this format.

Will be bringing my laptop so I can download clips as I do them as this requires (as you said) tons of memory.

It also will be a bear to edit with this format and will find that out when I get back.:D

The CX700v has some decent low light capabilities, at least what I have been able to test anyway, and it has a great optical stabilization built in along with Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

How's your Bridge clip coming along?

Ted

Okay, did some more work on Part 2 so here it is. Think I should have cut a little more out at the end of going under the bridge, but what can you do. Enjoy.

Love it!! :)

I've posted parts 1 & 2 on my roll call.

Keep 'em coming.....

Great Job on Part 2 Tim :)! I think you nailed the bridge timing; not too long and not too short. Again, love the transitions between stills.

Beautiful ship and is giving a great sneak peek at the Diamond Princess. The Chef's Table looked amazing. How much of a surcharge was it?

Thanks for posting and looking forward to Part 3! :rolleyes:

Marty

P.S. btw, bought my Kodak PlaySport videocam, which is waterproof down to 10 ft. So, I'm all set for recording at the beach, pools, rivers, etc. I'll definitely be using it real soon we we head up to Michigan!

Great Job on Part 2 Tim :)! I think you nailed the bridge timing; not too long and not too short. Again, love the transitions between stills.

Beautiful ship and is giving a great sneak peek at the Diamond Princess. The Chef's Table looked amazing. How much of a surcharge was it?

Thanks for posting and looking forward to Part 3! :rolleyes:

Marty

P.S. btw, bought my Kodak PlaySport videocam, which is waterproof down to 10 ft. So, I'm all set for recording at the beach, pools, rivers, etc. I'll definitely be using it real soon we we head up to Michigan!

Thanks Marty. I try to keep the transitions consistent. I thing it works better for the viewing public than to vary the transitions. Still wish I had more options for the transitions in iMovie..... Going under the bridge was really a unique experience. Definitely something different than the rest of the cruises I have been on. Chef's Table is $75pp, but well worth it in terms of what you get (wine, cookbook, pictures, etc). Have done it 3 times and have never had a bad experience with it. Something about a 9 course meal that is outstanding. Would definitely recommend it for your cruise on the Diamond. Just don't eat much that day....:D

Get some experience with the Playsport before you go. Practice makes perfect. Are you driving up from TX?

Nice job Tim. Keep up the energy. I'm amazed at how you get right to editing when you get home. I'm usually a year behind.

As far as length, longer is good at first -- but as the years pass .. shorter is always better. The bridge stuff played ok. I think you captured some of the fun and compressed the timing nicely. A tripod would have helped, but I understand all about having fun (and holding a drink) while shooting a sail-away. Can't get too serious. You're on vacation!

Love the Chef's Dinner. We've done it too and it brought back memories. I agree, well worth the money. Must do at least once! .. The song at the end could be cut down -- some bumpy transitions between events -- but I'd move on with the rest of it and fix this stuff later ( if ever ) ..

I noticed your wish to have more transtions in iMovie. Personally, I try not to overwork the fancy transitions. Often a straight cut will be just as effective. My two cents. Keep going !! .. I've never been to Grand Turk!

Archived