Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Paul,

Again, really enjoyed it! Loved your wife's "one-finger salute/nose scratch". Looks like you guys have fun and tease each other mercilessly! That's how I want my marriage to be :)! Got to keep the humor in life!!

Thanks again and can't wait for Part 4!

Marty

and are interested in the Holocaust call in to this

The underground Information Centre is open every day except Mondays, and entrance to both the field of stelae and the Information Centre is free, although I'd strongly recommend an audio guide (4 euros, 2 for concessions)

Allow about an hour for the whole thing.

This video is a 'companion' for another I made about the Berlin Wall

Best, Tony

The underground Information Centre is open every day except Mondays, and entrance to both the field of stelae and the Information Centre is free, although I'd strongly recommend an audio guide (4 euros, 2 for concessions)

Best, Tony

Tony,

These two videos are among your best efforts. Having traveled extensively in Germany and some of the former Eastern Bloc countries, I’m fascinated by this period of history in Europe.

I have visited the concentration camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau and Dachau along with many of the former Jewish Ghettos in Eastern Europe. These are very sad reminders of just how cruel humans can be to their fellow men.

You video about the Berlin Wall gave some interesting facts about this terrible time in history and the choice of music was excellent. I haven’t been in Berlin for many years, but you videos make me want to return and I’ll be sure to visit the Jewish Memorial.

Keep up the excellent work. I look forward to more of your videos.

Ron

Best, Tony

Tony -- Great job. I imagine you feel like I do that the process of doing the videos is the most important thing. I often learn far more about a place and events when I work on the video than I did while there. I like to get everything right (spelling and grammar too) and this often leads to lots of research on the internet. It helps to be retired and have the time for this.

Can you share with us a bit of how you work? When, for example, did you realize you wanted to do a nearly complete history of the holocaust? I can see by your footage you had some ideas at the time you were there -- the walking point-of-view shot with the quick pans to show confusion -- but did you think at the time, I'll start with the Holocaust Memorial and then do the whole history of the holocaust in an 8 min. video with some sound effects and titles and no narration.

Tony,

These two videos are among your best efforts. Having traveled extensively in Germany and some of the former Eastern Bloc countries, I’m fascinated by this period of history in Europe.

I have visited the concentration camps at Auschwitz-Birkenau and Dachau along with many of the former Jewish Ghettos in Eastern Europe. These are very sad reminders of just how cruel humans can be to their fellow men.

You video about the Berlin Wall gave some interesting facts about this terrible time in history and the choice of music was excellent. I haven’t been in Berlin for many years, but you videos make me want to return and I’ll be sure to visit the Jewish Memorial.

Keep up the excellent work. I look forward to more of your videos.

Ron

Thanks Ron

Your visits to Auschwitz and Dachau must have been quite something, and it's the sort of trip I must make one day. From my trip last month I will eventually make a couple more videos (lunch at The Reichstag being one) but my next one will be Prague (having used your excellent one as my guide !)

All the best, Tony

Tony -- Great job. I imagine you feel like I do that the process of doing the videos is the most important thing. I often learn far more about a place and events when I work on the video than I did while there. I like to get everything right (spelling and grammar too) and this often leads to lots of research on the internet. It helps to be retired and have the time for this.

Can you share with us a bit of how you work? When, for example, did you realize you wanted to do a nearly complete history of the holocaust? I can see by your footage you had some ideas at the time you were there -- the walking point-of-view shot with the quick pans to show confusion -- but did you think at the time, I'll start with the Holocaust Memorial and then do the whole history of the holocaust in an 8 min. video with some sound effects and titles and no narration.

Hi Paul

Thanks for your appreciation. I certainly agree that I usually learn more in making the videos than when I am actually there. We all try and get as well-researched as possible but nothing beats being there, and then you see things you knew nothing about, or get an anecdote from a fellow traveller that triggers a thought.

I love your stuff, and can see that lots of it is very well thought-out beforehand. Your narration is great too, as is the way you appear on-screen so much. That 'story' one you did was brilliant. I'm afraid I'm nothing like as organised.

My videos force me to learn about the places but I make them to remind me where I've been when I get back, and for future memories. This is especially necessary on port-intensive cruises where we all sprint around for 5-6 hours.

Going back to the Holocaust one, there was no planning at all because I unexpectedly found myself with an hour to spare due to friends I planned to meet for lunch cancelling at the last minute. I knew about it from a visit to Berlin in 2009, and so knew that architect Peter Eisenman had intended the layout to symbolise unease and confusion, so you are quite right to say that I purposely took that whip-pan shot for that effect (but only made a fairly ordinary job of it - where's that tripod when you need it ?)

Time, as ever was a bit tight, and I wanted to get into the underground centre, so took relatively little of the stelae. I still had no real intention of make a 'Holocaust' video until I got in there and realised they allowed photography. I had little idea what to expect, but the audio guide was so good, explaining everything in great detail that I just filmed as much as I could, including the details of each photo, so that back home I could be sure I'd got the dates and facts right. Then it was just a case of putting it in a chronological order and raiding the internet for photos that would help the story.

But in general I just video as much as I can (without detracting from actually seeing things) and then doing what I can back home. At each port I have an idea of what I want to get but you always see something quirky. 9 times out of ten you can find an interesting fact about it from the net. It does take a while but it helps that I'm retired too :-) We are lucky to live in an age where digital storage is unlimited so you can just blast away and not use 90% of it. Very different from the days of expensive film and heavy cameras, and cutting the filmstrips for editing.

I'm not in my vids very much because I do all this on my own and don't have anyone to take any of me. Often I have to ask other tourists to do it, with, ahem somewhat variable results.

This is one of the reasons I have a relatively cheap camcorder, as apart from handing to over to complete strangers I take it out on unstable boats and use it for on-the move-skiing shots. In fact I nearly lost it recently when I was filming a shipwreck waist deep in the sea and was almost knocked down by a freak wave.

I am looking for a new camcorder though, but I want it to use tape, as I have a fear of a hard drive corrupting, or filling up, or having the camera stolen, and losing everything. At least when I've used a tape I can take it out and know I have that footage, before replacing it with another. Any suggestions ? HD if possible.

Tony

Tony .. thanks for the long response. Obviously you are passionate about videography. Me too. As you may know, I worked in films when a youth. So lots of what I do I learned to do long ago – I can tell you it’s just all so much easier now. I’m having a ball doing it.

Your way of working seems similar to mine. I often don’t have a plan as the “tour” or the day unfolds. Things come up and I start shooting. I do try to get coverage. Wide shot (Establishing shot). Medium shot. Close ups. Cut-away. Reaction shot. Lately I try to shoot less footage but solid – on legs if possible. Less makes the editing faster and solid is always easier to watch. I try to be aware of how what I’m shooting will cut together. If I have a nice wide shot, next would be something closer and so on. Panning is good if it can be done smoothly. Otherwise, forget it. A single shot rarely can tell the whole story. I try not to forget to get some relevant “cut-away” that will keep the story moving while condensing the time…..I often just turn the camera around on me for that “cut-away” or look for an interesting close-up.. I rarely have anyone shoot me .. the trick is to have a lens wide enough to shoot yourself. I use a cheap wide angle adapter. It distorts but what the hell. I do stage things with my wife on occasion. She is mostly co-operative. I love staging. More control – but hey! .. We’re cruising not working so I don’t overdo.

When editing, I work in chronological order. Later I may move things out of sequence. I use titles but often I can condense things more (because shorter is usually better) by using narration.

There’s so much more Tony and you too Tim and Marty. I believe we all could go on all night.

I’ll write more about choice of camcorder later.

Here’s Mexico Part 4 .. Runs about 3 min.

Tony .. thanks for the long response. Obviously you are passionate about videography. Me too. As you may know, I worked in films when a youth. So lots of what I do I learned to do long ago – I can tell you it’s just all so much easier now. I’m having a ball doing it.

Your way of working seems similar to mine. I often don’t have a plan as the “tour” or the day unfolds. Things come up and I start shooting. I do try to get coverage. Wide shot (Establishing shot). Medium shot. Close ups. Cut-away. Reaction shot. Lately I try to shoot less footage but solid – on legs if possible. Less makes the editing faster and solid is always easier to watch. I try to be aware of how what I’m shooting will cut together. If I have a nice wide shot, next would be something closer and so on. Panning is good if it can be done smoothly. Otherwise, forget it. A single shot rarely can tell the whole story. I try not to forget to get some relevant “cut-away” that will keep the story moving while condensing the time…..I often just turn the camera around on me for that “cut-away” or look for an interesting close-up.. I rarely have anyone shoot me .. the trick is to have a lens wide enough to shoot yourself. I use a cheap wide angle adapter. It distorts but what the hell. I do stage things with my wife on occasion. She is mostly co-operative. I love staging. More control – but hey! .. We’re cruising not working so I don’t overdo.

When editing, I work in chronological order. Later I may move things out of sequence. I use titles but often I can condense things more (because shorter is usually better) by using narration.

There’s so much more Tony and you too Tim and Marty. I believe we all could go on all night.

I’ll write more about choice of camcorder later.

Here’s Mexico Part 4 .. Runs about 3 min.

Thanks Paul, good advice here too which I will take on board. Nice to see Amy speaking in that one - good to hear she is 'mostly co-operative' - I guess she never sees your post here :D Or I hope she doesn't.

I didn't realise you edited on the cruise itself. That must speed the process considerably, even if all you do is delete what is obvious 'rubbish', but you may do far more than that. With the ship-based stuff you can also see what didn't work as well as you'd hoped and do it again another day (if Amy agrees !)

We certainly could go on all night, and beyond. For the sake of our sanity we must never allow us, Tim and Marty to meet up :)

Right, back to it. Gotta make some headway on Prague and more Berlin before my next cruise (W Med July 9-20)

Tony

Paul- loved Part 4! I liked how you did your "hosting" with quick statements of where you went or what you did, then showed it. And, also how you included Amy. Very nice touch.

As for me, seeing the Sapphire Princess was great as it gives me a preview of our Diamond Princess Alaska cruise next year :). Needless to say, I'll be shooting alot of images on that one, so I will definitely want upgraded video editing software by then.

This summer, my wife & I will be taking our sons up camping in Western Michigan (also a family trip, so the boys can see their grandmother). No cruise this summer, however, we are booked on a fast catamaran ferry (Lake Express), that crosses Lake Michigan between Muskegon, MI and Milwaukee, WI. Here's what she looks like;

http://www.lake-express.com/

So, I may be stretching it a bit, but I may be able to count this for my next cruise video :p. Stay tuned for this video this July!

Tony, Tim & Paul - looks like we all share a passion for videography & video editing. I appreciate your feedback, tips, advice and insight on how you produce/edit your videos! We may not have met in-person, but I think we have a nice virtual club going here :). Thanks again...

Marty

I've always had an aversion to buying a camcorder that uses anything other than miniDV tape, but as I am about to get an HD camcorder the choice in tape is very limited. My fear is that whilst I have always found tape to be 100% reliable over many years, I once had a memory card fail in a still-photo camera, so I lost everything.

Anyone out there had any similar disasters with video and memory cards or am I worrying unnecessarily ? And what's the maximum size card I should use, bearing in mind that the tapes I use are an hour long ?

Thanks, Tony

I've always had an aversion to buying a camcorder that uses anything other than miniDV tape, but as I am about to get an HD camcorder the choice in tape is very limited. My fear is that whilst I have always found tape to be 100% reliable over many years, I once had a memory card fail in a still-photo camera, so I lost everything.

Anyone out there had any similar disasters with video and memory cards or am I worrying unnecessarily ? And what's the maximum size card I should use, bearing in mind that the tapes I use are an hour long ?

Thanks, Tony

Hi Tony,

I have a SONY HDR-XR500V and it has 120 GB of hard drive space. Also, it can use portable storage devices, e.g. Sony pro sticks. I have not had any space issues or lost images with the 120 GB hard drive.

I transfer all my images to my computer and I have full back-up with Norton 360. Also, I back up everything on a portable drive.

For HD, I would recommend getting away from tape. As long as you have a quality HD camcorder and a powerful enough computer (I would recommend a computer that is designed for media), you should have no issues with losing your images.

Another option would be those HD camcorders that record directly to a DVD...

Good luck!

Marty

Thanks, Tony

I have used both camcorders that took miniDV tapes and SD cards. I prefer the SD card format more. Much less moving parts on the camcorder to break with the SD card based camera than with a tape. Also, with tapes, I doubt they will be around much longer. I have never had an issue with a memory card getting corrupted or going bad on my in my camcorder or any of my cameras. I have a Canon HFS100. It has one SD card slot. New ones have 2 and some have the slots and internal memory. Much easier to carry SD cards than tapes. When I record in full HD, a 16GB card will record a little more than an hour. My 32 GB card will do 140 minutes. I have one 32GB card, 2 16GB cards, one 8GB card, and a number of 4GB. Yes, that's a lot, but they are all interchangeable with my Canon cameras. The one thing about SD cards (or any external memory) is you have to buy quality the cars from a good manufacture (Transcend, PNY, Toshiba, SanDisk) from a reputable seller. There are cheap cards out there, but buyer be ware. Also, never buy memory on ebay. Lots of counterfit cards. Also, make sure you get the right class. My canon camcorder needs at least class 4 for HD video, but will not handle anything above a class 10 (the class is how fast it can write) The other nice thing about memory cards, is that you can take them out of the camera, use a SD card reader and transfer the video to your computer that way and are not required to hook up the camcorder.

Tim

I have used both camcorders that took miniDV tapes and SD cards. I prefer the SD card format more. Much less moving parts on the camcorder to break with the SD card based camera than with a tape. Also, with tapes, I doubt they will be around much longer. I have never had an issue with a memory card getting corrupted or going bad on my in my camcorder or any of my cameras. I have a Canon HFS100. It has one SD card slot. New ones have 2 and some have the slots and internal memory. Much easier to carry SD cards than tapes. When I record in full HD, a 16GB card will record a little more than an hour. My 32 GB card will do 140 minutes. I have one 32GB card, 2 16GB cards, one 8GB card, and a number of 4GB. Yes, that's a lot, but they are all interchangeable with my Canon cameras. The one thing about SD cards (or any external memory) is you have to buy quality the cars from a good manufacture (Transcend, PNY, Toshiba, SanDisk) from a reputable seller. There are cheap cards out there, but buyer be ware. Also, never buy memory on ebay. Lots of counterfit cards. Also, make sure you get the right class. My canon camcorder needs at least class 4 for HD video, but will not handle anything above a class 10 (the class is how fast it can write) The other nice thing about memory cards, is that you can take them out of the camera, use a SD card reader and transfer the video to your computer that way and are not required to hook up the camcorder.

Tim

Hi Tim & Marty

Thanks for your time on this, and the good advice. I am convinced :)

I'd much prefer to have removable storage media than a huge (120 GB) hard drive.

I imagine that not having to drive and rewind tape means the battery lasts longer,unless HD is more voracious on energy than non-HD ?

Tony

Hi Tim & Marty

Thanks for your time on this, and the good advice. I am convinced :)

I'd much prefer to have removable storage media than a huge (120 GB) hard drive.

I imagine that not having to drive and rewind tape means the battery lasts longer,unless HD is more voracious on energy than non-HD ?

Tony

Depends on the battery and camcorder. The original battery I got with my Canon camcorder lasted about an hour. Not all that great. I got another battery for it that last for 3 hours. Not sure how it compares to my tape camera since I never really compared them, but as you said, no rewinding or tape motors would seem to make for a more efficient battery life. HD does not take any more power to record, just a lot more memory.....When you load it onto your computer it really sucks up the hard drive space. I have over 2.5TB of external hard drive capacity, largely to store videos (thought that would be enough, but.....) Also, one other way to make sure you do not lose the videos once on a computer is to back it up to a remote backup service. Cost is pretty reasonable and it makes sure even in the even your computer crashes/hard drive fails/disaster, you can still recover the data.

Tony,

I agree with Tim. One of the first things I did when I bought my HD camcorder is buy another battery, with much longer recording life (sorry, I can't remember what the increase was, but it was significant). The batteries that come with the camera are adequate, but it's obvious they want you to buy a battery upgrade.

Also, having 2 batteries, enables you to always have a charged one at the ready, while the other is recharging.

Take care,

Marty

Tony – like Marty I have a Sony HDR-XR500V (great minds think alike). I like using the 120 gig HD. Never use memory cards. Much more important to have extra batteries! My old camera used tape. Long gone. No worries. No problems. Sony makes great cameras. My “must” requirement was an EVF (Electronic ViewFinder) .. I cannot abide shooting in bright sun using an LCD – can’t see --- washed out --- and I also think that little LCD door being open bugs people. They know you’re recording them versus not knowing when I’m shooting because the door is closed. I think I get better stuff this way. Often I shoot with the camera held out to the side, pointing to the subject but without me looking through the lens or the door being open. This works wonders in getting people to talk on camera. I would never want a camera that will only go into record with that blasted LCD door open. But finding a camera with an EVF will cost extra. IF you have not been working in HiDef, then the shock will be in editing. But that’s another story – ..

Another thing of great importance to me was filter rings. I had to be sure I could mount my cheap wide angle lens (37mm) and my polarizing filter too ! .. This was critical for me. I’d feel very hampered without my wide angle.

Certainly nice to take a laptop and transfer as you go along .. and It’s true that if you drop the camera into the pool, all will be lost – but one must ask what the probability of that is .. On shorter trips, I risk it all as convenience trumps. But if I was really that worried I could also invest in memory cards and transfer inside the camera from the HD to the cards (for backup) as we go along. This is a nice feature Sony offers. I've yet to do it myself.

Have you narrowed it down yet? What make/model s seem the best to you so far?

It's great to see this post take off like it did. I havn't read ALL the posts yet- there is so many of them. I took the a family cruise back in Oct. 2010. I have got 2 days done so far and I would like to share them with you all. I have seen a lot of your and mine well isn't as good- but I'm getting better with the softwear. The slideshow has more pictures the video but I was using a Sony point and shot so after the cruise is when I realized I didn't use video that much. Live and learn but here are the 2 days so far :o)

I don't know if it's password protected Let me know if it is :o)

Day 1) time- 13:37 http://vimeo.com/23754605

Day 2) time- 13:33 http://vimeo.com/23765094

It's great to see this post take off like it did. I havn't read ALL the posts yet- there is so many of them. I took the a family cruise back in Oct. 2010. I have got 2 days done so far and I would like to share them with you all. I have seen a lot of your and mine well isn't as good- but I'm getting better with the softwear. The slideshow has more pictures the video but I was using a Sony point and shot so after the cruise is when I realized I didn't use video that much. Live and learn but here are the 2 days so far :o)

Great videos, love the flow. I was a little confused though......where were the drinks at sail away???

I think you are on the right track. I'm guessing you have a Sony DSC-TX7 or something close to it ( I have one myself) . The terrific panorama mode gives it away. You made good use of it. The HD video off that little camera is generally excellent with decent sound. One problem is bright light behind the subject -- camera doesn't do well with that.

I really liked the "toast" .. You put us right into the action .. Cool .. Naturally, the episodes are too long. Most families will struggle with 2 hours of viewing for a 10 day trip. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. Experience will guide you as to how much your intended audience can handle. Generally, shorter is better ... leave em wanting more ! .. Sometimes I leave things long because I like it or I know someone else will appreciate certain little touches. I please myself. After all, I'm the one doing all the work and I see the videos more than anyone. I think it's impossible to generalize on length for the family audience. Remember, you are head of the studio!

Tony – like Marty I have a Sony HDR-XR500V (great minds think alike). I like using the 120 gig HD. Never use memory cards. Much more important to have extra batteries! My old camera used tape. Long gone. No worries. No problems. Sony makes great cameras. My “must” requirement was an EVF (Electronic ViewFinder) .. I cannot abide shooting in bright sun using an LCD – can’t see --- washed out --- and I also think that little LCD door being open bugs people. They know you’re recording them versus not knowing when I’m shooting because the door is closed. I think I get better stuff this way. Often I shoot with the camera held out to the side, pointing to the subject but without me looking through the lens or the door being open. This works wonders in getting people to talk on camera. I would never want a camera that will only go into record with that blasted LCD door open. But finding a camera with an EVF will cost extra. IF you have not been working in HiDef, then the shock will be in editing. But that’s another story – ..

Another thing of great importance to me was filter rings. I had to be sure I could mount my cheap wide angle lens (37mm) and my polarizing filter too ! .. This was critical for me. I’d feel very hampered without my wide angle.

Certainly nice to take a laptop and transfer as you go along .. and It’s true that if you drop the camera into the pool, all will be lost – but one must ask what the probability of that is .. On shorter trips, I risk it all as convenience trumps. But if I was really that worried I could also invest in memory cards and transfer inside the camera from the HD to the cards (for backup) as we go along. This is a nice feature Sony offers. I've yet to do it myself.

Have you narrowed it down yet? What make/model s seem the best to you so far?

Hi Paul

Thanks for this, very helpful (and thanks to Marty and Tim too). Will definitely get one with an EVF, (was surprised they are made without tbh)

I'm leaning towards a Sony because my current one is and they're a good make, and (a v minor consideration, not a deal-breaker) my batteries for the current one may fit the new one. Not going away til July so have time to sort this out.

One thing I forgot to ask is how you do that thing when you walk along while talking to camera ? It's so steady, and you always appear perfectly framed.

And what's this 'other story' about editing HD footage ? You can't just leve it like that :)

Tony

Hi Paul

One thing I forgot to ask is how you do that thing when you walk along while talking to camera ? It's so steady, and you always appear perfectly framed.

And what's this 'other story' about editing HD footage ? You can't just leve it like that :)

Tony

Tony -- there are a couple of tricks to shooting yourself. First is editing. If the footage is shaky -- not framed right – etc. – I don’t use the footage. (This goes for ALL the footage in the project.) This hurts sometimes as I’m generally saying something brilliant that I wanted included but, alas, the head of the studio (that’s me) reminds me that the audience doesn’t know what it’s missing .. “Work around it” says the head of the studio – “narrate over it” -- “reshoot it” -- ( I often do multiple takes of me while on location for safety) So, you see, I do, all of the above It’s in my contract.

One work-around when the footage is steady but off in the framing is to “crop” it in the editor. My editor is Sony Vegas. Vegas will allow me to crop into the HiDef video without losing much quality. This can help other shots too on occasion. You don’t want to crop too far in as the video quality degrades and doesn’t match the other footage. Mostly, shooting yourself requires practice --- and it helps tremendously to have a wide angle lens.

I like Sony Vegas for editing. I use the Pro version which is expense. But the Sony Vegas Movie Studio versions are excellent (and way cheaper). The support from other users on the Sony Video Forums (as pointed out in a post above) is really great too. One of the best reasons to buy Vegas.

Editing HiDef is problematic because it requires a very powerful computer to play the stuff back smoothly in an editor with even simple effects like a dissolve. If you have at least a “Quad Core” computer , you should be fine – otherwise there are work-arounds to editing HiDef smoothly. There is tons of info on this on the Internet. And tons of frustrated videographers who are trying to use an old Pentium machine to edit HiDef. Not going to work. My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Tony -- there are a couple of tricks to shooting yourself. First is editing. If the footage is shaky -- not framed right – etc. – I don’t use the footage. (This goes for ALL the footage in the project.) This hurts sometimes as I’m generally saying something brilliant that I wanted included but, alas, the head of the studio (that’s me) reminds me that the audience doesn’t know what it’s missing

"Work around it” says the head of the studio – “narrate over it” -- “reshoot it” -- ( I often do multiple takes of me while on location for safety) So, you see, I do, all of the above It’s in my contract.

LOL

One work-around when the footage is steady but off in the framing is to “crop” it in the editor. My editor is Sony Vegas. Vegas will allow me to crop into the HiDef video without losing much quality. This can help other shots too on occasion. You don’t want to crop too far in as the video quality degrades and doesn’t match the other footage. Mostly, shooting yourself requires practice --- and it helps tremendously to have a wide angle lens.

I like Sony Vegas for editing. I use the Pro version which is expense. But the Sony Vegas Movie Studio versions are excellent (and way cheaper). The support from other users on the Sony Video Forums (as pointed out in a post above) is really great too. One of the best reasons to buy Vegas.

Editing HiDef is problematic because it requires a very powerful computer to play the stuff back smoothly in an editor with even simple effects like a dissolve. If you have at least a “Quad Core” computer , you should be fine – otherwise there are work-arounds to editing HiDef smoothly. There is tons of info on this on the Internet. And tons of frustrated videographers who are trying to use an old Pentium machine to edit HiDef. Not going to work. My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks H.o.S. !

I am fortunate to hold the same lofty position in my studio :) and my computer is up to the job.

Archived