Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Editing HiDef is problematic because it requires a very powerful computer to play the stuff back smoothly in an editor with even simple effects like a dissolve. If you have at least a “Quad Core” computer , you should be fine – otherwise there are work-arounds to editing HiDef smoothly. There is tons of info on this on the Internet. And tons of frustrated videographers who are trying to use an old Pentium machine to edit HiDef. Not going to work. My two cents. Your mileage may vary.

I will second the need for a powerful computer to edit HD video. Even the older Macs can not handle HD video in avchd (a common format that HD is recorded in) I use a Mac Pro with a 2.66 quad core Xeon processor. Was a big improvement from using the laptop with a dual core. As the saying goes, the more power the better....Also, have plenty of RAM. Helps too.

As for the editing in general, I found that the more basic you make it as you start, the easier it becomes over time. You also learn what to shoot that works well in editing. Clips that are 3 seconds long, usually do not work well when you put them into a video. I am by far the worst critic of my work. DW usually does not notice the little mistakes, but as the camera man and editor, I usually do. Guess that is half the fun.

All - wow, this thread is on FIRE :D! Great stuff....dubiously taking notes on all these great tips. If I may add one;

When I got my camera, I was a "panning fool". Every take seemed to have panning. Learned to be very deliberate on when to pan (& zoom from out to in), there is a time & place for it but I learned to do it less and to cut away more. You can smooth out the cut-aways (if necessary) when editing by using transitions.

O.k., I have submitted my 2 cents, so I think my dues to this virtual video club a paid up for a little while longer :o.

Again, great advice & tips!! Thanks to everyone...

Marty

Clips that are 3 seconds long, usually do not work well when you put them into a video. I am by far the worst critic of my work. DW usually does not notice the little mistakes....

Tim – Your point about 3 second clips not working is well taken….and it brings to mind a technique I use all the time – which is slowing things down or speeding things up. Most editing software can do this and it often helps to make something last a bit longer or play quicker.

This goes along with your point about your wife not noticing minor mistakes. Most people never detect that I’ve slowed something up a bit to make it last longer. Same with slightly speeding things up .. So if you have a really neat 3 seconds that would fit much better if it was 4 seconds .. well .. just slow it up and see if that works.

Here’s Mexico .. Part 5

Hi Paul (& Amy),

Enjoyed Part 5! I see what you mean about slowing things down and speeding them up. I wonder if my video editing software can do that. Never thought about doing that. I really like when you slow it down a bit and had a good song going on the soundtrack....adds another dimension :).

I'm learning alot form you Paul, I really appreciate it! Now, I just need to learn how to work less, cruise more, so I can make more videos :D.

Next project for me will be our summer trip to the Great Lakes (Michigan & Wisconsin) end of June. Not a cruise, but their will be a fast-ferry involved...does that count :confused: I'll post the part with the fast ferry on here, so it stays with the "cruise video" theme.

Again, thanks and look forward to Part 6 :rolleyes:...

Marty

Tim – Your point about 3 second clips not working is well taken….and it brings to mind a technique I use all the time – which is slowing things down or speeding things up. Most editing software can do this and it often helps to make something last a bit longer or play quicker.

This goes along with your point about your wife not noticing minor mistakes. Most people never detect that I’ve slowed something up a bit to make it last longer. Same with slightly speeding things up .. So if you have a really neat 3 seconds that would fit much better if it was 4 seconds .. well .. just slow it up and see if that works.

Here’s Mexico .. Part 5

That's so simple but so brilliant ! Thanks Paul

Here’s Mexico .. Part 5

Nice work again Paul. It was interesting to see how you speed up the video as you sailed away from Cabo. I found the boats bobbing up and down in the background was the only real obvious way to tell. Though the video on the tenders was particularly good as well. You got some great angles to shoot from. I have only videoed from the top of a tender, but i like the below show looking out the door. More for me to think about for the cruise in a few weeks.

Tim

Nice thread.

We will be going on our first Alaska cruise this July on Radiance of the Seas. I just bought the latest consumer HD camera HDR-CX700V from Sony. Like Paul, I have been using Sony Vegas for many years, and eventhough it is on the pricey side, well worth it for producing great looking videos.

The picture quality on the CX700 is just stunning, and with its build-in 96GB of flash memory can hold a number of hours in Hi Def recording.

I have done some test shots in low light and was quite impressed.

I also like the build-in stabilization for shake free shots.

One of my biggets pet peeves is shaky home videos.

I'll be bringing my tripod and use it as much as I can

Ted

Tim,

That is a really cool trailer you got there.

Can you tell me what/where the music is from

Caribbean Princess Cruise Trailer 1

http://vimeo.com/21671938

Ted

The music and set up is all from iMovie 11. They have a feature that allows you to make trailers with various templates. The music comes with the templates. Have not been able to figure out how to change it, but it works pretty well with what they have.

Tim

Paul/Ted,

All of has have Sony HD camcorders. Both of you guys are using Sony Vega video editing software. I currently have Pinnacle Studio HD...should I switch :confused:. Is it an advantage to use the Sony software with a Sony camera?

I will definetly be upgrading my video editing software at some point and was just curious about Sony Vega.

Thanks!

Marty

I have been using Vegas since the original Sonic Foundry edition and highly recommend it. It is very technical and very powerful but also very simple for the average user. It will do everything you could imagine and then some. As mentioned there are some great forums that will answer any questions about Vegas. In my opinion Vegas gives you more control but you have to be willing to learn how to use it.

I think there are 2 distinct categories for video editing software. You get you consumer versions, which are very capable and allow you to do lots and are easy to use. Then there are you more pro versions. They let you do so much more, but are not the most intuitive to use and require more skill. I have been trying to make the jump from iMovie to Finalcut and it is a jump. I know I can do so much more with Finalcut, but there is definitely a more steep learning curve. Granted, there is a big difference between a novice user of consumer video editing software and getting really in-depth with it which is what we have all been doing (and with great results I might add) It really comes down to spending the time and having critical eye for what you want.

Tim

Paul/Ted,

All of has have Sony HD camcorders. Both of you guys are using Sony Vega video editing software. I currently have Pinnacle Studio HD...should I switch :confused:. Is it an advantage to use the Sony software with a Sony camera?

I will definetly be upgrading my video editing software at some point and was just curious about Sony Vega.

Thanks!

Marty

Fore on the Floor has said it well. I’ve been using Sony Vegas Pro for the last 4 ½ years. I have a copy of Pinnacle 10. You can’t compare the two. Generally Vegas is more for those who want to have all the tools and do it themselves versus those who want lots of automation . Of course, many of us just use the software we are given. Like on the Mac or, like me, as I got my first copy of Pinnacle with a Video card. Just never thought to buy something I already had for free. But I rapidly outgrew Pinnacle (which crashed a lot too). I did my research and came up with Vegas as the best choice. Glad I made that choice.

I’m not sure Sony cameras have any advantage in using Vegas. Sony is so huge, one division does not worry too much about the other – and Sony Cameras are huge compared to tiny little Sony Creative Media that produces Vegas. When AVCHD came out on Sony point and shoot cameras, Vegas was choking on it like everyone else. Things have improved since but still very dependent on the power of your PC. So nearly no advantage in buying Sony cameras and Sony Vegas.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Vegas Forums are tops. It had a lot to do with my choosing Vegas. I suggest the trial Version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10. It’s $100.00 if you buy it. It does most everything the Pro Version does which costs about $600.00… There’s numerous tutorials using Vegas on YouTube also !! So lots of support – 24/7. You’ll likely need it.

Just keep in mind that Vegas, although powerful and very flexible, requires more from you to learn it. But once those skills are mastered, it will seem as if all video editors should work this way and it will be hard to go back to anything with less flexibility and power.

I do have to say too that Tim is doing great work with iMovie -- Vegas has nothing like Tim's trailer templates ! .. Other Windows packages may..

It is certainly not a requirement to use Sony editing software along with a Sony video camera. I happen to have purchased a Sony camera, but own other models by Canon as well and I use Sony Vegas for all of them.

The trick with these late model HD cameras is the video codec used.

AVCHD is a heavily compressed format, and you need a very powerfull computer to handle these files on the timeline. One with a fast processor and lots of RAM. I use an i7 Intel processor along with 12 Gigs of RAM.

I have dabbled with pinnacle and various other editing packages over the years, but been using mostly Sony Vegas since 2003 (I think I started with version 4, and is now up to 10) and am quite comfortable with it. I must say that if you are not familiar with high end editing software, there can be a substantial learning curve.

I would also recommend the trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio. It is a slim down version of the Pro Vegas product and should work fine.

I also agree that Tim's trailers produced with iMovie are very well done indeed. I am not aware of any templates in Sony Vegas, that can so easily create a very profesional looking piece along with the matching score.

Ted

I've been meaning to jump on here for my two cents worth. I agree that Tim's iMovie 11 trailers are great jobs. We will be together on this upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise and comparing notes. We have previously exchanged major works we have produced with each other. You'll find a trailer ( no-template ) that I made for this cruise in my signature.

....John

Paul - fantastic video and again, thoroughly enjoyed the final part :)! I liked how you "wove' in Paul Kelly, the maritime painter (does he have a web-site?) and also the quotes about "longing to be on the sea". Great way to end it with your wife being sad the cruise is over.

End of one, means the beginning of a new cruise :D! Where to next?

Again, thanks for sharing this wonderful video! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!

Marty

After watching Tim's great trailer I decided to create one for our upcoming Radiance Alaska cruise.

I got some materials from the net, and threw this one together.:)

Very nice trailer. What did you use to make it? Has the feel and sound of iMovie, but not the same template (or at least that I have found yet).

Very nice trailer. What did you use to make it? Has the feel and sound of iMovie, but not the same template (or at least that I have found yet).

Thanks Tim for checking it out.

I do not have iMovie, so no template here. I did like the music on your trailer a lot so I found that and used it as the sound track (slightly changed the beginning as I needed a little longer intro).

The globe intro was done with a program called Blufftitler which is a pretty cool 3-D title program, the rest was done from scratch completely within Sony Vegas.

I had so much fun with this one I created a second one.

(trailer #2)

Ted

Thanks Tim for checking it out.

I do not have iMovie, so no template here. I did like the music on your trailer a lot so I found that and used it as the sound track (slightly changed the beginning as I needed a little longer intro).

The globe intro was done with a program called Blufftitler which is a pretty cool 3-D title program, the rest was done from scratch completely within Sony Vegas.

I had so much fun with this one I created a second one.

(trailer #2)

Ted

Nice work Ted. Should have figured it was not iMovie since you had stills. The iMovie trailer templates do not allow for the use of stills, just video. Here is the final one I put together for our roll call for our cruise this coming Saturday. Feels really nice to be able to say "this coming Saturday"

Nice work Ted. Should have figured it was not iMovie since you had stills. The iMovie trailer templates do not allow for the use of stills, just video. Here is the final one I put together for our roll call for our cruise this coming Saturday. Feels really nice to be able to say "this coming Saturday"

Another nice one Tim!

Enjoy your cruise, and post the video when you get back, looking forward to see that one:)

Ted

Another nice one Tim!

Enjoy your cruise, and post the video when you get back, looking forward to see that one:)

Ted

One video camera, 1 compact P&S, 1 D10 waterproof camera, one dSLR with 4 lens, and over 100GB worth of memory cards....I better be able to put something nice together with all that gear. Have one other guy on my cruise who is into videos as well, so we plan on having some fun.

A time capsule cruise!

Click on

to see my version of the Kenny G – Auld Lang Syne (Millennium Mix) video. This video was produced using historical scenes from days gone bye that were edited into the appropriate spots on the Auld Lang Syne sound track. This was one of my first projects I attempted way back in 2000.

Ron

Archived