Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

Just picked up a Kodak Playsport this afternoon. It is very cool shoots 1080p, 720p 60fps, pics at 5mb and waterproof to ten feet all for $170. Looking forward to some good snorkeling footage. Luckily I only have to wait a couple of weeks to try it out. (sorry to rub it in Tim)

Camera looks like a lot of fun. I used my Canon D10 to do video, but I like the idea that this camera shoots in 1080p.

Is it a bad think that we have to have "new toys" everytime we go on a cruise.....I don't see it as a problem. Now DW might have other ideas......Oh well, I get camera toys, she gets shoes and dresses...:o I think it all works out in the end. "What a great new dress honey, I'll need to upgrade my equipment to take the best pictures/video of you now.....";)

Camera looks like a lot of fun. I used my Canon D10 to do video, but I like the idea that this camera shoots in 1080p.

Is it a bad think that we have to have "new toys" everytime we go on a cruise.....I don't see it as a problem. Now DW might have other ideas......Oh well, I get camera toys, she gets shoes and dresses...:o I think it all works out in the end. "What a great new dress honey, I'll need to upgrade my equipment to take the best pictures/video of you now.....";)

I'll have to remember that reply Tim!

I'll have to remember that reply Tim!

Be forwarned, that line can also lead to the following reply from DW "Well okay, I'll get some more shoes and dresses so you can really try out your new equipment.....":D

New iMovie comes either today or Monday. I may try and redo the Panama Canal since it is suppose to have better control regarding slow motion and sped up motion....

Tim

Be forwarned, that line can also lead to the following reply from DW "Well okay, I'll get some more shoes and dresses so you can really try out your new equipment.....":D

New iMovie comes either today or Monday. I may try and redo the Panama Canal since it is suppose to have better control regarding slow motion and sped up motion....

Tim

Roger that Tim.

Need to book a cruise, for my next cruise video project! Hopefully, April 2011.

Marty

Okay, got the new iMovie and did some playing. Made a short video from my Panama Canal cruise back in April. The ability to control the increase in speed was nice. Also learned that if you plan on speeding up a video, don't move the camera. I had the camera on a tripod on a deck in the front of the ship for the video going into the locks. The actual time is about 90 minutes. I put an old world feel to the lock gates opening. Let me know what you think.

Tim

Very cool, are the picture transitions at the end part of Imovie???

Yes, the transitions are part of iMovie. There are 4 that look similar and a bunch more that do various types of transitions. I used all 4 of the similar ones on the pictures. iMovie gives you a pretty good amount of options in terms of transitions an titles. The downside is that when you put them in, the can vary the time the picture shows or how the video closes with the music.

Tim

• 1 month later...
Yes, the transitions are part of iMovie. There are 4 that look similar and a bunch more that do various types of transitions. I used all 4 of the similar ones on the pictures. iMovie gives you a pretty good amount of options in terms of transitions an titles. The downside is that when you put them in, the can vary the time the picture shows or how the video closes with the music.

Tim

Tim

I'm getting a Mac next week which obviously has iMovie. Can you explain that last sentence - what do you mean by 'downside' - are you able to vary the length of the transition from whatever the default is ?

Thanks

Tony

My attempt at a PanCanal transit presentation

Tim - awesome video! I have an HD monitor and subwoofer on my computer, so it really came across brilliantly!

Brought back many memories, as my Dad was a Panama Canal pilot. I used to ride with him, so I have transited the Panama Canal many times.

Marty

Thanks Marty. This was my second time down to the canal. First time was with the Army, so this was much more enjoyable. You'd be amazed at how much the country has changed for the better (they have a toll road across the isthmus now) and the ongoing improvements to the canal. Really an amazing cruise. Would definitely recommend it.

Just got my first dSLR for my next cruise, so we shall see how much better I can get my pictures. Granted, I am going to have to get use to this camera.

Tim

Tim

I'm getting a Mac next week which obviously has iMovie. Can you explain that last sentence - what do you mean by 'downside' - are you able to vary the length of the transition from whatever the default is ?

Thanks

Tony

Congrats on getting a Mac!!!! Your life on a computer just got much easier:D

When I am putting together a movie in iMovie and add stills, I usually add them in a batch, basically take 7-15 pictures and bring them into the project at once. Then I go back and add the transitions between the pictures. Sometimes the same transitions, other times different. What happens is that the pictures I set to show for so many seconds when I bring them over (e.g. 5 seconds per picture) When you add the transitions it cuts into the 5 seconds and if you are not careful, you get some stills the show up very quickly. You can vary the length of the transitions as well as how long the photo shows. You can go back and adjust them once they are in the project timeline, just a little tedious. The best way to compensate for this is once you bring in all the stills, select them all in the project timeline, and then increase the length of time each photo is displayed (e.g. 5 secs to 6.5 secs) Then when you insert the transitions, you still end up seeing the picture for roughly the amount of time you wanted. Also add the music after you have finalized putting in the videos/photos.

The transitions will also cut into the beginning and end of video clips you put in the project time line, so something to consider as well. Almost everything is adjustable (transitions, time for video, pics, how long a song plays, etc) in iMovie so there is lots of flexibility. You just have to spend some time playing around. I am a little of a perfectionist when it comes to putting them together. I'll show people my videos and notice all the flaws and my friends usually are asking what flaw. Then of course I got an fix it....:rolleyes:

Hope the explanation helped.

Tim

Hope the explanation helped.

Tim

Certainly did Tim, thanks. That sounds exactly like the program I've used for the last 9 years (Pinnacle) so it sounds good. Have you been tempted to go for Final Cut 4 (or higher) or do you find iMovie is sufficient ? I've always taken the view that video editing is really only trimming, ordering, adding stills, titles, transitions and music/voiceovers and never seen the need for more than this.

Tony

Tony

Certainly did Tim, thanks. That sounds exactly like the program I've used for the last 9 years (Pinnacle) so it sounds good. Have you been tempted to go for Final Cut 4 (or higher) or do you find iMovie is sufficient ? I've always taken the view that video editing is really only trimming, ordering, adding stills, titles, transitions and music/voiceovers and never seen the need for more than this.

Tony

I actually have Final Cut Express as well. Got it when I upgraded to my current Mac earlier this year (video editing takes lots of space and power....). There are a lot more options (transitions, titles, etc) that you have in Final Cut Express, but it is definitely not as user friendly as iMovie. You have a lot more work to get the video right, but you can do some really nice stuff. iMovie works well for me. I do like the upgrade to iMovie in iLife11. Some nice features that were added. Just do not have as much control as Final Cut Express. I do agree that it is about trimming, ordering, adding stills, etc. Granted, you do have to have decent stuff to start with. I take way more video and photos than I could ever possible use in a video, but you never know......

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a professional video editor for 15 years, and have seen the industry go from a tape-based system that only professionals could get involved in, to a wide-open art that everyone can enjoy. It's great that everyone can make videos these days...and it's really accessable.

If I was just starting out...I would suggest a Mac, personally. They've had a long history with video, and work with them really well. The software ranges from Avid & Final Cut Pro...all the way down to iMovie, and it's all really decent. That's just me...everyone is different, and some people don't like Macs. I just know they're better from years of video-related experience.

But, if you have a PC, then I would suggest Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Pinnacle, Nero, or Windows Movie Maker. Premiere is the best (other than Avid, which is professional and requires hardware). PC's aren't ideal for working with video, but they do work. Be careful to not get your hard drive too fragmented, and save often...that's all I have to say about that.

Either platform...get as much RAM as you can. Video is about the toughest thing for your computer to handle, and it really stresses it. RAM helps, and massive hard drive space...as much as you can afford. It really helps make the experience more enjoyable.

Nice Panama Canal video! I made a timelapse a few years ago when I was the video tech onboard the Radiance of the Sea and posted it to YouTube...here's a link:

I've been a professional video editor for 15 years, and have seen the industry go from a tape-based system that only professionals could get involved in, to a wide-open art that everyone can enjoy. It's great that everyone can make videos these days...and it's really accessable.

If I was just starting out...I would suggest a Mac, personally. They've had a long history with video, and work with them really well. The software ranges from Avid & Final Cut Pro...all the way down to iMovie, and it's all really decent. That's just me...everyone is different, and some people don't like Macs. I just know they're better from years of video-related experience.

But, if you have a PC, then I would suggest Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Pinnacle, Nero, or Windows Movie Maker. Premiere is the best (other than Avid, which is professional and requires hardware). PC's aren't ideal for working with video, but they do work. Be careful to not get your hard drive too fragmented, and save often...that's all I have to say about that.

Either platform...get as much RAM as you can. Video is about the toughest thing for your computer to handle, and it really stresses it. RAM helps, and massive hard drive space...as much as you can afford. It really helps make the experience more enjoyable.

Nice Panama Canal video! I made a timelapse a few years ago when I was the video tech onboard the Radiance of the Sea and posted it to YouTube...here's a link:

I had actually looked at your video when I was searching youtube for some Panama Canal video. Gave me the idea for the timelapse video I made. My biggest mistake in taking the video was not using a fresh video card for the camera. Already had some video on the card and it only holds a little more than an hour of video. Have to try something new next month on my cruise.

I definitely agree that video is tough on a computer. I used my DW Mac laptop to make one video before I got my new Mac Pro. The difference in the time it took was like might and day. Guess that quad core process and 6GB of RAM in the Mac Pro makes a difference....:D

As mentioned I purchased a Sony Play Sport before our last cruise and thought I would post a quick review.

Love the size and shape very easy to store and carry. After some tests on land I found that the video is choppy unless you use the 60fps setting. They claim 24fps but the video really lags on that setting. It is really useless in low light and is really meant for outdoor use. First time I used it was in the pool on the ship. The power button is right above to opening for the computer connection and I open it up in the pool and got water inside the camera. I am not sure if that contributed to the fogging up I was experiencing the rest of the cruise. I aired it out but every time I took it in the water the lens would fog and the display also fogged up so much I could see anytime.

Here is some of the footage I shot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMUx4CF7GjU

Pros - great daylight video for the money

Size

Price

5 meg still camera works good

Cons - light light stinks

Possible fog issue (could be my fault)

video format not native to Vegas, Sony's own software I have to convert it in another program

Overall for the money and what you can do with it it's a great little camera to have some fun with.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got this finished.

http://blip.tv/file/4551673

Questions and comments always welcome.

Nice video. Love the Southern Caribbean. Is it a bad thing when I can tell what port you are in.... The camera seems to get very good video in good light. Did not seem so good in low light situations even when the sky was overcast. Granted, I am not sure if that is due to it being uploaded on the internet or not. Was it taking in 1080P? You had mentioned the video format was not native to Vegas. Was it AVCHD? My constructive feedback would be to pan more slowly when filming. Makes for slightly longer clips which help and is easier to watch. Same with the zoom slow and steady. Took me awhile to figure out how to get this right. The one audio section of the guy talking on the boat sounded pretty good. I did not notice any wind noise and you were on a moving ship.

2 more weeks till I get to play with my "toys" again. Will definitely be putting together a video.

Happy New Year!!!

Tim

Nice video. Love the Southern Caribbean. Is it a bad thing when I can tell what port you are in.... The camera seems to get very good video in good light. Did not seem so good in low light situations even when the sky was overcast. Granted, I am not sure if that is due to it being uploaded on the internet or not. Was it taking in 1080P? You had mentioned the video format was not native to Vegas. Was it AVCHD? My constructive feedback would be to pan more slowly when filming. Makes for slightly longer clips which help and is easier to watch. Same with the zoom slow and steady. Took me awhile to figure out how to get this right. The one audio section of the guy talking on the boat sounded pretty good. I did not notice any wind noise and you were on a moving ship.

2 more weeks till I get to play with my "toys" again. Will definitely be putting together a video.

Happy New Year!!!

Tim

Thanks for the input Tim. Totally agree about the pan shots. I keep telling myself to stop panning all together but as soon as I get out there I do it anyway. The video was shot with two different cameras, a Sony TRV mini dv and a Kodiak Playsport using the 720 60fps setting. Now that you mention it there was no wind noise in that shot, not sure how that happened I guess we had a tail wind.

Have fun on your cruise looking forward the the video.

AULD LANG SYNE (THE MILLENNIUM MIX)

The origin of Auld Lang Syne is Scottish and Northern English. It translates as "old long ago (days)," or, in modern usage, "the good old times”.

This video was made using music and audio clips from the Kenny G, Auld Lang Syne (The Millennium Mix) soundtrack that was produced for the Millennium New Years Eve celebration, along with pictures compiled from various internet sources. The audio collage on the soundtrack contains a variety of excerpts from the news media reports of the major news stories and events during the 20th century in America.

Just got a new "little" camera. Panasonic DMC-TS2. This little wonder takes pretty good stills -- and very good video with decent sound -- and it will work underwater (to 33 feet) and keep going in rain, sleet, snow, mist, sea spray, dust and sand. I got it because when cruising we nearly always run into some weather -- or a waterfall -- or beaches -- or some condition where my big video camera might get damaged. I wanted the ability to keep shooting in those situations, even if the quality might not match my BIG camera. But -- I'm truly surprised at how good this thing is. It uses AVCHD Lite as one of it's video formats and that edits easily in Sony Vegas. I slapped together this little clip when some weather suddenly came up here in California. What really impressed me, besides the sharp hi-def, was how well the sound picks things up outside.

Archived