Video Editing

BlueSkySailing

You should be able to use Nero to create mpeg or wmv files to upload to YouTube.

I'm having trouble with that right now. The MP4 files look fine but the audio is garbled when replayed on Youtube. This is despite playing fine locally in Windows Media Player.

Playing around with Handbrake right now to see if I can compress one down a bit and recode the audio track.

I'm thinking it may have been the Cinepack codec I originally used in Nero.

I used the free Windows Live Movie Maker that came with my PC to create a HD wmv file for this video from the Quicktime MOV files that my camera generates

That looks awesome.

I had some issues with the XP version of Windows Movie Maker and the MOV files created by the Kodak Playsport. So I upgraded my old Nero DVD authoring software and used it to create a raw HD avi file that can be compressed and encoded into either WMV or MP4, using a tool called "Hand Brake". (Excellent tool...highly recommend it since you can download it for free...) That'll allow me to archive the raw AVIs in case I ever need to re-encode them to something better/faster in the future.

My issue right now is the soundtrack. I embedded some music tracks from iTunes and the wife's CD but Youtube is barking at me about copyright stuff when I upload.

When you do your videos, do you use their online AudioSwap feature? How do you make sure you are gonna use allowable music?

Also...if you don't mind me asking...how large are your HD files when you upload them?

That looks awesome.

I had some issues with the XP version of Windows Movie Maker.

My issue right now is the soundtrack. I embedded some music tracks from iTunes and the wife's CD but Youtube is barking at me about copyright stuff when I upload.

When you do your videos, do you use their online AudioSwap feature? How do you make sure you are gonna use allowable music?

Also...if you don't mind me asking...how large are your HD files when you upload them?

See if there is an updated Movie Maker for XP. I vaguely remember that the old one did not like MOV files. I used music ripped from my CDs and yes I get a copyright notice from YouTube after I upload (see below), but they do not disable the audio. They try to sell a music download from Amazon or iTunes.

Your video,

, may have content that is owned or licensed by Sony Music Entertainment.

No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

YouTube allows upto 2 GB and with a 10 min limit that is never a problem. The video I posted was around 700MB. I try and stay at 720p.

Hi all- back from our short 5-day family cruise on Carnival Ecstasy to Mexico (Progeso & Cozumel). Here's Part 1 of my video;

th_BackinEcstasy-Part1.jpg

Much better on the panning & zooming, as I am now conscious of it when recording. It has mad a BIG difference.

Let me know what you think. Feedback welcome :eek:!

Editing software: Pinnacle Studio Ultimate HD Version 12.

Thanks,

Marty

Hi all- back from our short 5-day family cruise on Carnival Ecstasy to Mexico (Progeso & Cozumel). Here's Part 1 of my video;

th_BackinEcstasy-Part1.jpg

Much better on the panning & zooming, as I am now conscious of it when recording. It has mad a BIG difference.

Thanks,

Marty

Marty - Video looks pretty good. Thought you did a nice job with the panning. Nothing real jerky or quick. I think most folks wold have jerked the camera quickly with the dolphins in the water towards the end and you didn't do that. Did you use the internal mic on the camera or an external?

Thanks,

Marty

Marty --- I liked it. I thought you had all the elements going -- you cut in some still images, used various music cuts, used live sound video (this is something many people avoid as it is harder to edit) , and even the biggie -- YOU got into the scene yourself and did some on camera hosting. I think the last thing is big. Most home video has the family but not YOU. THis makes a really nice family memory years from now. Keep developing this. It's my opinion you are on the right track.

Here's one of mine (from our World Cruise in 2008) that uses all the same elements plus adding in some narration. Just like you, feedback welcome. Used Sony Vegas Pro.

Tim - thanks. The mic was the built in one (internal) with the camera. One of my first observations with this SONY camera was that the mic was very good. Funny, when I panned over to video the dolphins, I thought I had missed them....but, my younger son pointed out that he saw one on the video, that I had missed when watching it the first time :eek:!

Paul - I love your videos! I agree with you totally that the narration adds that next step and REALLY makes you the story-teller. When I did my first few videos, I noticed that my fiance Jeanne was in most of the shots, so I guess I'm more conscious of that too; so I will do more "MartyCam" shots of me hosting. I believe I am getting better at that also and am getting more relaxed doing the self-hosting. You're great at that and I like that way you interject humor into your scenes...I try and do that also, including teasing my fiance Jeanne, for cinematic effect ;). Your hosting makes it feel like I'm right there walkng with you and you're talking to me!

Very cool & I will try to emulate this :rolleyes:!

Thanks guys for the feedback and let's keep this thread going. I really like the sharing/feedback of my new-found "passion" :)!!

Marty

P.S. stay tuned, I have some more parts of this Ecstasy cruise, which I will post here...

Tim - thanks. The mic was the built in one (internal) with the camera. One of my first observations with this SONY camera was that the mic was very good. Funny, when I panned over to video the dolphins, I thought I had missed them....but, my younger son pointed out that he saw one on the video, that I had missed when watching it the first time :eek:!

Paul - I love your videos! I agree with you totally that the narration adds that next step and REALLY makes you the story-teller. When I did my first few videos, I noticed that my fiance Jeanne was in most of the shots, so I guess I'm more conscious of that too; so I will do more "MartyCam" shots of me hosting. I believe I am getting better at that also and am getting more relaxed doing the self-hosting. You're great at that and I like that way you interject humor into your scenes...I try and do that also, including teasing my fiance Jeanne, for cinematic effect ;). Your hosting makes it feel like I'm right there walkng with you and you're talking to me!

Very cool & I will try to emulate this :rolleyes:!

Thanks guys for the feedback and let's keep this thread going. I really like the sharing/feedback of my new-found "passion" :)!!

Marty

P.S. stay tuned, I have some more parts of this Ecstasy cruise, which I will post here...

One other thing I noticed was there was a couple of times that the music went out. Not sure why. Could be my connection, but it did it at the same point a couple of times right at the beginning so not sure. Look forward to the next installment.

One other thing I noticed was there was a couple of times that the music went out. Not sure why. Could be my connection, but it did it at the same point a couple of times right at the beginning so not sure. Look forward to the next installment.

Tim,

Yes, the soundtrack gets "dropped" somehow during the upload to Photobucket. Don't know why. I need to complain to photobucket, since I am paying an annual fee for the unlimited bandwidth!!

Marty

Tim,

Yes, the soundtrack gets "dropped" somehow during the upload to Photobucket. Don't know why. I need to complain to photobucket, since I am paying an annual fee for the unlimited bandwidth!!

Marty

I noticed the sound drop outs too but that brings up an important point -- does a home video need to be perfect? .. No. The important thing is to get it done and move on .. how many of us have video we have not edited yet? I always hear from friends how they haven't gotten to the editing part yet. After a while, they never do and unless I'm willing to watch 3 hours of shakey footage I never see it.

Paul - I agree. But with Photobucket, I believe every video I've posted (or 95%) have had some audio drop off. Not sure if it is something I am doing in the editing process or if it Photobucket.

I think it is worth letting Photobucket know about the problem.

Happy video recording AND editing :D!!

Marty

Paul - I agree. But with Photobucket, I believe every video I've posted (or 95%) have had some audio drop off.

Happy video recording AND editing :D!!

Marty

For videos I use YouTube for high quality, but limited to 10 minutes.

For longer videos I use Vimeo which limits you to 500MB per week.

http://www.vimeo.com/user2882073/videos/sort:alphabetic

For videos I use YouTube for high quality, but limited to 10 minutes.

For longer videos I use Vimeo which limits you to 500MB per week.

http://www.vimeo.com/user2882073/videos/sort:alphabetic

I have used youtube as well, but the other than the 10 minute limit, you have to deal with the annoying music issues with WMG where all you audio ends up getting muted. No such issues with Vimeo though. Only down side with the 500MB per week that I found is that for high def videos, you are limited to about 10 minutes at 500MB.

I have used youtube as well, but the other than the 10 minute limit, you have to deal with the annoying music issues with WMG where all you audio ends up getting muted.

I have never had my music muted.

If the music is owned by UMG it says:

No action is required on your part. Your video is still available worldwide. In some cases ads may appear next to your video.

If it is owned by Sony it says:

As a result, your video is blocked in these locations:

Germany

No action is required on your part. Your video is still available everywhere not listed above. In some cases ads may appear next to your video.

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

Just wanted to check back in here and stay active on this thread. Been very busy of late (got married up in Niagara Falls, Canada on July 30th), but hopefully, will get back in to the "groove".

Let's see, where did I leave off...oh yes, I have to finish my editing on the Carnival Ecstasy cruise to Progresso & Cozumel, Mexico on July 10th.

With the long Labor Day weekend, hopefully, I can finish it :rolleyes:!!

Marty

Hi everybody!

Just wanted to check back in here and stay active on this thread. Been very busy of late (got married up in Niagara Falls, Canada on July 30th), but hopefully, will get back in to the "groove".

Let's see, where did I leave off...oh yes, I have to finish my editing on the Carnival Ecstasy cruise to Progresso & Cozumel, Mexico on July 10th.

With the long Labor Day weekend, hopefully, I can finish it :rolleyes:!!

Marty

Congrats and we'll be waiting!!!:D

O.k., here's "Back in Ecstasy - Part 2". On behalf of Photobucket, apologize, the soundtrack gets dropped during the upload. The track in fine on my Pinnacle Editing program. I have to contact Photobucket. Anyway, here it is;

th_BackinEcstasy-Part2.jpg

Feedback welcome! I know, the soundtrack :cool:...

Marty

O.k., here's "Back in Ecstasy - Part 2". On behalf of Photobucket, apologize, the soundtrack gets dropped during the upload. The track in fine on my Pinnacle Editing program. I have to contact Photobucket. Anyway, here it is;

th_BackinEcstasy-Part2.jpg

Feedback welcome! I know, the soundtrack :cool:...

Marty

Very nice video Marty. How did you get the side shots of the ship sailing? They look like you are many feet away from the side of the ship. The camera did not seem to do great in the lower light settings, which does not surprise me. I have wondered if getting a light for the camera would help any. I assume you used a few still pictures as well. One thing I try and do with my stills before I use them in the video is to do a little editing, particularly getting the horizon straight. Soundtrack was screwy, but other than that I thought it was good. Right volume, not too loud. Nice work.

Tim

Thanks Tim- Until you mentioned it, I didn't think about the aspect of that angle down the side of the ship. We were in one of the "new" balconies that Carnival added on to some of the Fantasy class ships. We were in the forward most balcony in that section (aft stbd side), so there was no balconies forward of us. It was nice because on these balconies, where they tapered back in to the side of the ship (on the forward part of the balcony), in gave you an extra 9 sq ft of balcony space. Doesn't sound like much, but makes a difference..enough for an additional chair or table.

Regarding the light, actually, SONY touts this as a good camera in low light. It has a low light & nighshot switch, which I haven't used (yet). The std setting is 11 lux minimum illumination, low light is 3 lux and nightshot mode is 0 lux (total darkness). Maybe it was the humidity effect on the lens? I noticed the camera (lens) was having trouble in the humidity. I noticed that in a couple of seconds, the "fogginess" cleared right up when coming in from the balcony into the AC'd cabin. Also, problem was worse in the early morning.

Thanks for the comments & honest feedback. I've got the last part (3) done, so I will post shorty.

Marty

Thanks Tim- Until you mentioned it, I didn't think about the aspect of that angle down the side of the ship. We were in one of the "new" balconies that Carnival added on to some of the Fantasy class ships. We were in the forward most balcony in that section (aft stbd side), so there was no balconies forward of us. It was nice because on these balconies, where they tapered back in to the side of the ship (on the forward part of the balcony), in gave you an extra 9 sq ft of balcony space. Doesn't sound like much, but makes a difference..enough for an additional chair or table.

Regarding the light, actually, SONY touts this as a good camera in low light. It has a low light & nighshot switch, which I haven't used (yet). The std setting is 11 lux minimum illumination, low light is 3 lux and nightshot mode is 0 lux (total darkness). Maybe it was the humidity effect on the lens? I noticed the camera (lens) was having trouble in the humidity. I noticed that in a couple of seconds, the "fogginess" cleared right up when coming in from the balcony into the AC'd cabin. Also, problem was worse in the early morning.

Thanks for the comments & honest feedback. I've got the last part (3) done, so I will post shorty.

Marty

I think most of the cameras have a lowlight/night setting, but they make the image look a little green. My canon has a small light I have used in lower light settings and it is okay, but I wonder about a bigger light that puts out more light for those settings. Good point about the humidity effect. Always a problem when going from the AC in the cabin to the outside. It is like you have to get the camera acclimated before you can use it.

• 1 month later...

Just saw today the Apple is releasing an upgrade to iMovie with iLife11. Has some more features and themes as well as a number of other improvements. There are some features which look very nice and will do stuff that I have wanted to do, but found it very difficult with the current version. Needless to say I have already ordered my copy. Should be fun to play with.....Now if I did not have to wait another 86 days to go on a cruise to get the video.....Guess I'll have to find something else in the mean time.

Tim

Archived