Best French port of call?

ActiveTraveler

Based on ease of access, transportation, and communication, as well as what there is to see and do, what is the best cruise port in France? I want to go on a Mediterranean, not Baltic, cruise, so I was thinking of sailing to one of the southern ports. My interests include architecture, gardens, palaces, nature, aquariums, museums, and cathedrals. I do not gamble, drink, drive, smoke, or speak French. Right now I just want information. Most likely my ship will be docked from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. but that means there are less than 10 hours to see and do everything. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Nice, Monte Carlo and Villefranche will give you access to the highlights in this area & it's easy to visit these cities, plus other favorites (eg. Eze, St. Paul de Vence) from any of these ports.

Suggest having a look at the information provided in the Ports of Call section .... just click on the names of the ports in this link and you'll find a good overview which should help with your decision: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=42

Since most places on the "Cote d Azur" are very close together.....it really depends on what you want to see...... you can visit more than one city/village in one day.

We tendered into Villefranche, went to Nice, then Eze and finally Monaco and Monte Carlo all in one day. Long day - but one day :D

But we also docked in Toulon the next day and took a tour into Aix-en-Provence.

If the French coast is your main objective - try to find a cruise that will visit more than one port here.

Based on ease of access, transportation, and communication, as well as what there is to see and do, what is the best cruise port in France? I want to go on a Mediterranean, not Baltic, cruise, so I was thinking of sailing to one of the southern ports. My interests include architecture, gardens, palaces, nature, aquariums, museums, and cathedrals. I do not gamble, drink, drive, smoke, or speak French. Right now I just want information. Most likely my ship will be docked from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. but that means there are less than 10 hours to see and do everything. Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Hi, to fellow Ohioan, Andrea!!! The biggest "good news/bad news" that in many of these Med ports you have many, many options. You will NOT be able to do it "ALL" or "everything" in such a short, short period of time and the required "logistics". It is good that you gave us your detailed interests. BUT, you didn't mention how you want to balance "country" options versus those sites and sights in the cities. Getting to Provence is great and wonderful, but it takes more time. It is good that you are researching and planning ahead. Just focus on what you can do and how you put together the best mix/variety for each of these different port stops. Consider what you will see and enjoy, not what you will be missing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just returned from HAL cruise with stop in Marseilles from which we went to Aix-en-Provence. I would NOT recommend Marseilles as a jumping off point for Provence if you can avoid it. The port is FAR from transportation and Marseilles itself is not for the faint of heart...

Archived