Why do you think they made the C&A changes?

Always nice to see the armchair executives and business experts of Cruise Critic have everything figured out. I am constantly amazed the ability of us bloggers to figure out all the details and logic to a multi-billion dollar corporation. All that and yet we can't seem to master the fine art of tipping and booze smuggling :D:D:D

I agree with the people stating that onboard bookings being down was part of the reason. I usually get at least one Next Cruise certificate or else make a booking onboard. This past cruise neither my mom nor I did. I looked at the LA's appointment book while I was in the lounge. It appeared that only about half the appointment times had been reserved. On some cruises it seemed like all the appointment times were taken the second or third day of the trip.

On Bord bookings took a gigantic hit after January 1, 2009 when combining any/all benefits was eliminated. Why book on board was the feeling by many. At least now RCI is allowing an OBC plus one benefit.

The only thing that they did not address was allowing those that book from home to combine the OBC from being a Shareholder with a balcony discount or a C&A Savings Certificate.

I am constantly amazed the ability of us bloggers to figure out all the details and logic to a multi-billion dollar corporation.

I might accuse them of many things but logic is not one of them.

Plus the two Celebrity ships that came out, Eclipse and Equinox with 2 more of them due. 2850 more pax per ship there.

There are actually something like 21 new ships being launched in the next few years from all the cruise companies. A total of 60,000 new passengers to be booked per week!! :eek::eek:

Check it out: http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/newships.html

There are actually something like 21 new ships being launched in the next few years from all the cruise companies. A total of 60,000 new passengers to be booked per week!! :eek::eek:

Check it out: http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/newships.html

That's correct. I was only counting the new ones for RCI.:D

It's called competition and choices.

from their 10-K

We estimate that the global cruise industry carried 17.3 million cruise passengers in 2009 compared to 17.2 million cruise passengers carried in 2008. We estimate that the global cruise fleet was served by approximately 373,000 berths on approximately 267 ships by the end of 2009. There are approximately 27 ships with an estimated 62,000 berths that are expected to be placed in service in the global cruise market between 2010 and 2013.

The North American cruise market has experienced a compound annual growth rate of approximately 8.3% since 1970. From 2005 to 2009 North America has experienced a compound annual growth rate in cruise passengers of approximately 0.6%, attributable in large part to the recent international expansion within the cruise industry. We estimate that North America was served by 138 ships with approximately 188,000 berths at the beginning of 2005 and by 145 ships with approximately 228,000 berths by the end of 2009. There are approximately 14 ships with an estimated 33,000 berths that are expected to be placed in service in the North American cruise market between 2010 and 2013.

I presume they did it, because it is to their benefit to get those future commitments of that captive audience of passengers booking another cruise while onboard. Some of the past changes had wiped out the benefit of onboard booking for many people, particularly their loyal C&A members who could get similar incentives through other means.

So, they want to sweeten the pot again for onboard bookings.

Archived