Jewish St Petersburg

turned out that Catherine's palace was closed the day we were there. Peterhof was so magnificent!

I am glad that you had a great time in St Petersburg, and enjoyed the city.

That said, if it were me, and the tour group we booked with, didn't know Catherine's Palace was closed, I would be very upset. Were you there for one day or two?. If you were there for two days, the tour group should have been able to arrange for you to see Catherine's Palace on the other day, again, if this was possible;.

We used SPB tours, and they just didn't follow the itinerary to the letter. They adjusted as we went along. Some things we were supposed to see on day one, we did on day two, and visa versa. We had such a glorious day on day one that they tried to get as many of the outdoor sites in on that day. They even extended our day by an hour so we could accomplish this.

Again, IMVHO, if you were there for two days, and Catherine's Palace was open for one of those days, they that tour group did not do a very good job in getting you to see things in St Petersburg.

Cheers

Len

I am glad that you had a great time in St Petersburg, and enjoyed the city.

That said, if it were me, and the tour group we booked with, didn't know Catherine's Palace was closed, I would be very upset. Were you there for one day or two?. If you were there for two days, the tour group should have been able to arrange for you to see Catherine's Palace on the other day, again, if this was possible;.

We used SPB tours, and they just didn't follow the itinerary to the letter. They adjusted as we went along. Some things we were supposed to see on day one, we did on day two, and visa versa. We had such a glorious day on day one that they tried to get as many of the outdoor sites in on that day. They even extended our day by an hour so we could accomplish this.

Again, IMVHO, if you were there for two days, and Catherine's Palace was open for one of those days, they that tour group did not do a very good job in getting you to see things in St Petersburg.

Cheers

Len

My tour guide knew that Catherine's was closed. That was why they made up the tour to go to Peterhof. I was just responding to ellbon who mentioned loving Catherine's. We only had the one day and our tour couldn't have been any better!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We recently toured St Petersburg with TJ Travel, and while my family and I are not Jewish, the family who initiated the 12 person tour we were on is, and requested the synagogue be included.

Katya our guide was very well informed about the history of the synagogue, and it was a thoroughly enjoyable visit during which we were made feel very welcome.

It was an unexpected highlight of our St Petersburg experience that we will always cherish.

Madra

The tour we were on, we could say the same thing. Only we were the ones who requested that the Choral Synagogue be included. We asked Viktoria privately, and she included it in the itinerary,and I would venture to say that everyone on the tour really enjoyed the extra stop. The Choral synagogue is a magnificent structure. Just as we enjoyed looking at the churches and their place in Russian History, so does this synagogue and should be viewed in the same light.

Cheers

Len

Archived