?s for mjane1999 and anyone else

alwalaska

MJane1999,

It looks like you continually sail on a variety of ships and cruise lines. Although we have now sailed on Disney, Princess, Royal Caribbean (x2), and now NCL (1 booked, 1 completed), I am still nervous about trying new lines. Although there are things I prefer on each one of the ships and cruise lines, we have very much enjoyed all of our cruises and would sail any of them again.

I have avoided Carnival because I like a family atmosphere. That does not just mean they have a kids or teens club, but I like when the early musical shows and comedy shows are family friendly. I have heard that this is not necessarily true about Carnival, so it makes me nervous. Also, I am very sensitive to smoke ( I get migraines and sinus problems from it), so it worries me that smoking is allowed in many of the evening dance and music locations.

We have also seen some neat itineraries and good specials for Celebrity, but I am a little worried that it would be a little too formal for us. I like being able to sit down at a table and be served dinner, rather than having to go to a buffet all the time, but I don't always want to drag along dress clothes and dress up every night. We had used Anytime Dining on Princess, My Time Dining on RCCL, and now NCL Freestyle dining and definitely like that concept.

Can you please give me your opinions on these cruise lines and how they compare to NCL and the other cruise lines I have already sailed?

I don't understand why you would think Carnival wasn't so family friendly? I never saw any evening show that would be questionable for younger people. I would draw the line at the midnight comedian though but that is announced before hand that it is NOT a PG rated show.

I know that there is smoking on board in certain venues but nothing that ever really bothered me. I think I noticed it the most on the deck by the buffet, but that was my own mistake because I was on the smoking side. Just make sure you're on the non-smoking side of the ship, lounge, etc. There is no smoking in the theater so you wouldn't have to worry there.

I can't compare with NCL as I have only sailed on the Norway and that was in a class by itself. I had an okay time on Carnival I just wasn't enamoured of the ship, the activities were fine though.

I don't understand why you would think Carnival wasn't so family friendly? I never saw any evening show that would be questionable for younger people. I would draw the line at the midnight comedian though but that is announced before hand that it is NOT a PG rated show.

I know that there is smoking on board in certain venues but nothing that ever really bothered me. I think I noticed it the most on the deck by the buffet, but that was my own mistake because I was on the smoking side. Just make sure you're on the non-smoking side of the ship, lounge, etc. There is no smoking in the theater so you wouldn't have to worry there.

I can't compare with NCL as I have only sailed on the Norway and that was in a class by itself. I had an okay time on Carnival I just wasn't enamoured of the ship, the activities were fine though.

I agree with your statment regarding Carnival. I think Carnival probably is the 2nd runner up to Disney for a family with Kids cruise. I'm careful of what time of year I cruise with Carnival because there can be too many kids during school breaks. I've been on HAL, Carnival and RCI (9 cruises in total). I like each one for different reasons. I'm looking forward to my first NCL cruise this year.

Archived