Dubai Hotel, Pre-cruise

ssawjo

Hi all,

Well, I think we now have a reservation for two nights at the Grand Hyatt to be paid for with stay certificates at $165 per night. I have just been on the phone for quite a long time trying to make sure I understand the system and process. First, I used 1-800-555-9655 which is the number for reservations from in the country and was assured that both the reservation and the certificate purchase could be done together. The person in Nebraska I was speaking with checked availability of rooms using the Premier certificate and found there were rooms available. She made the reservation for the room and indicated on the reservation that the room would be paid for with stay certificates. So far, no money has changed hands. Then she said I would get a confirmation almost instantly (I did) and that she would transfer me to someone who would work with me to purchase the certificates. I then spoke with a different person who took down all of the pertinent information including credit card info. She said that even though my reservation was showing 10% tax and 10% amenity fee as additional that the taxes have already been included in the price. Finally we got to the point where we talked about delivery of the certificates. She said that "standard" shipping was UPS and that the packet would have to be signed for. I mentioned that it was likely we might be out of town when the packet would arrive and asked if they could put a "ship after" date on it. She said they had no way to do that, but if I wanted to wait until we returned before ordering the certificates, that would be fine. She absolutely swore that getting the reservation with an indication it would be paid for with certificates was the key thing and there would be no problem if we waited to buy the certificates. I so hope she is correct as this really is an amazing deal. By the way, I also asked if we were grandfathered if there would be any change to the program or to the participating hotels and she said "absolutely."

Greatam, thank you so much for your help and suggestions. If this works out, I will have extra money to use on tours :) In what capacity are you spending time in the war zone - military? consultant? journalist? Be safe!

Lynn

I'm glad it worked out. Although if you call the 402 number directly, that IS the cert dept and they can put both through without talking to reservations first. Do you have an address where you will be out of town to have the certs shipped to? Or another address where someone can sign-work, kids, whatever? I would personally feel better if the certs were paid for AND shipped. But that's just me. I had the first ones sent to Kuwait, the second set was sent to the Sheraton Orchid in Bangkok, then two to my Missouri office and the last set sent to my NYC office. The US ones didn't cost me anything extra in postage-the overseas ones cost me $20.00 each FedEx overnight.

I am an international logistics planner dealing with military food-how to procure it, how to ship it, how to get the best possible for the money for our brave "kids". I arrived Dubai about 3 hours ago (midnight). Nice ride from Abu Dhabi in a new Mercedes 550 compliments of Etihad airlines. I knew there was a reason I like the Middle East airlines so much.

Can't sleep-slept waaaay too much on the plane. Have to start getting cleared at 0600 by the military along with 2 plane loads of military contractors that are bound for Afghanistan. They are running around this hotel like crazy-most have never been out of the USA. A LOT of electricians, HVAC guys and plumbers-about 80 people total. This could be a loooong morning ahead of me. I know this is selfish, but I am going to get my ducks in a row, get all my stuff ready to go and get in line at 5AM. I'm not telling anyone what the procedure is. Have my laptop, so I am not totally out of touch. MAYBE, just maybe, I can get cleared long before the ones who have never been here before start screwing up the program.

Enjoy your trip to Dubai. It truly is a fabulous city. I am just getting slightly jaded about the experience.

Hi a By the way, I also asked if we were grandfathered if there would be any change to the program or to the participating hotels and she said "absolutely."

Lynn

Lynn, that is what I wanted to know, if one would be grandfathered if they purchased the certificates, had a reservation, and the program changed next year. Thank you for asking. I would also like to find out the cost to purchase breakfast. If I understand correctly once you purchase the certificates you can not upgrade (to Club level etc) once at the hotel.

I'm glad it worked out. Although if you call the 402 number directly, that IS the cert dept and they can put both through without talking to reservations first. Do you have an address where you will be out of town to have the certs shipped to? Or another address where someone can sign-work, kids, whatever? I would personally feel better if the certs were paid for AND shipped. But that's just me. I had the first ones sent to Kuwait, the second set was sent to the Sheraton Orchid in Bangkok, then two to my Missouri office and the last set sent to my NYC office. The US ones didn't cost me anything extra in postage-the overseas ones cost me $20.00 each FedEx overnight.

I am an international logistics planner dealing with military food-how to procure it, how to ship it, how to get the best possible for the money for our brave "kids". I arrived Dubai about 3 hours ago (midnight). Nice ride from Abu Dhabi in a new Mercedes 550 compliments of Etihad airlines. I knew there was a reason I like the Middle East airlines so much.

Can't sleep-slept waaaay too much on the plane. Have to start getting cleared at 0600 by the military along with 2 plane loads of military contractors that are bound for Afghanistan. They are running around this hotel like crazy-most have never been out of the USA. A LOT of electricians, HVAC guys and plumbers-about 80 people total. This could be a loooong morning ahead of me. I know this is selfish, but I am going to get my ducks in a row, get all my stuff ready to go and get in line at 5AM. I'm not telling anyone what the procedure is. Have my laptop, so I am not totally out of touch. MAYBE, just maybe, I can get cleared long before the ones who have never been here before start screwing up the program.

Enjoy your trip to Dubai. It truly is a fabulous city. I am just getting slightly jaded about the experience.

Greatam, took your advice and Lynn's and just now reserved a room at the Grand Hyatt in Dubai using "Stay Certificates". A great deal. Thanks for the input. Granted it is not until next April, but I like to plan ahead.

Bill

Bill,

I was planning to email you to tell you what I had done in case you had not seen this thread recently. I think we are in Dubai at the hotel on different dates because we are doing the India cruise immediately before the Suez one. Looking forward to meeting you onboard.

Lynn

Bill,

I was planning to email you to tell you what I had done in case you had not seen this thread recently. I think we are in Dubai at the hotel on different dates because we are doing the India cruise immediately before the Suez one. Looking forward to meeting you onboard.

Lynn

Lynn, yes, you will be there before us but we will see you on the ship or earlier in Phoenix. The Hyatt seems like a great deal. We'll talk more as the time gets closer of course. BTW, things are pretty much arranged with Ramses for our tour to Luxor. More details to follow.

Bill

Lynn, yes, you will be there before us but we will see you on the ship or earlier in Phoenix. The Hyatt seems like a great deal. We'll talk more as the time gets closer of course. BTW, things are pretty much arranged with Ramses for our tour to Luxor. More details to follow.

Bill

What port are you traveling to Luxor from? We are looking at flying from Alexandria.

What port are you traveling to Luxor from? We are looking at flying from Alexandria.

We are on the RCL Brilliance from Dubai next April, stopping at Safaga. It is the stop for a long day to Luxor and back.

Bill

Just to let you know the Grand Hyatt is an excellent choice of hotel. It's pretty much in the middle of Dubai with easy access to all Dubai has to offer. It is a big hotel! I have lived in Dubai for 5 years now and I would say it is one of the best. Jumeirah Hotels, which are also very good (and seem to have most of the beachfront sewn up for themselves) are definately a contender in the DXB luxury hotel race! As a cruiser and Dubai resident, any questions please feel free to ask, (insiders knowledge etc ;)).

Just to let you know the Grand Hyatt is an excellent choice of hotel. It's pretty much in the middle of Dubai with easy access to all Dubai has to offer. It is a big hotel! I have lived in Dubai for 5 years now and I would say it is one of the best. Jumeirah Hotels, which are also very good (and seem to have most of the beachfront sewn up for themselves) are definately a contender in the DXB luxury hotel race! As a cruiser and Dubai resident, any questions please feel free to ask, (insiders knowledge etc ;)).

That is good to know. Thanks. We will be in Dubai on April 19 (arriving on the UA flight from Dulles) at 7:30 PM (A long journey from Phoenix.) The cruise leaves on April 21, so we have a full day to relax and go on a tour. Any suggestions on tours within Dubai? Not really interested in going out into the desert. I have that here.

Bill

We are currently booked at the Raddison Blu with Club King Room, breakfast, afternoon tea, snacks, drinks etc. Creek view, balcony, but considering moving to the Grand Hyatt. I was going to book the Intercontinental or Crowne Plaza but Greatam said that Festival City is not a good area. If we can use the Hyatt stay certificates once we pay for a transfer and breakfast price will be the same as the Raddison. There is also the Hyatt Regency. I was also looking at the Sheraton.

I guess my question is which is the best area, perhaps within walking distance of someplace we would want to go, maybe souks? We are not beach people so not looking at beach resorts. Also, where are the ships docking (Azamara) in relation to these hotels as we board our ship and than have an overnight, so will be going off the ship and back for two days, so different situation than others posting here.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Well, I think we now have a reservation for two nights at the Grand Hyatt to be paid for with stay certificates at $165 per night. I have just been on the phone for quite a long time trying to make sure I understand the system and process. First, I used 1-800-555-9655 which is the number for reservations from in the country and was assured that both the reservation and the certificate purchase could be done together.

Lynn

Lynn/Ssawjo, I emailed the Grand Hyatt in Dubai as I was interested in some additional costs in case you might be interested. These are current and could of course change by next year.

Airport Transfer (per car) AED 200 (approx US $54.50)

Buffet Breakfast AED 135.00 per person (approx. US $36.75 per person per day or approx $73.50 for two people per day).

The gym is free (included in stay for all guests - that is nice because hotels such as Sheraton seem to always have an additional fee).

Lynn/Ssawjo, I emailed the Grand Hyatt in Dubai as I was interested in some additional costs in case you might be interested. These are current and could of course change by next year.

Airport Transfer (per car) AED 200 (approx US $54.50)

Buffet Breakfast AED 135.00 per person (approx. US $36.75 per person per day or approx $73.50 for two people per day).

The gym is free (included in stay for all guests - that is nice because hotels such as Sheraton seem to always have an additional fee).

Greatam, Thanks! We booked the Grand Hyatt too.

My DH liked the idea. Btw, the call center that I got was in IL. They said they have two of them. I phoned 1.800.555.0233, and need to call 1.800.55.9655 to pay for the certificates. I was told the one where you pay is also in IL.

The key of course is to have the stay certificates indicated on the reservation. The actual certificates do not need to be paid for right away. I was told to allow at least 2 weeks for delivery but at least can wait to pay closer to our final payment date on the cruise. And, I was told the certificate is not tied into this specific hotel, meaning should we purchase the certificates and change plans we could cancel and rebook another hyatt somewhere that has availability at this premier level, and even on a different date. This is a great deal.

The actual cert center is in Omaha, Nebr where the 402 number is. They are all mailed out of there and I find it much easier to call the 402 number and deal with everything with one phone call but whatever works.

Yes, the stay certs can be used at any Hyatt hotel that accepts them IF there is availability and that is the key. They are NOT a particularly good value in the USA, but are great in Europe, SA, Asia and the Middle East where hotels are generally expensive.

BTW-breakfast in the Market Cafe (really cool setting in the atrium of the hotel) is cheaper than you were told. I don't remember ever paying more than $25.00pp EXCEPT when they run the brunch and the "family dinners". I think they probably sent you prices from the "sit down-waiter" type restaurants. In fact, I just asked DH via Skype after I read your post and he said even the prime rib/prawn meal we had there in March 2009 was not over $100 including beer and my drinks (Kahlua which is generally expensive in restaurants unless they try to substitute Creme de Cocoa).

Don't know how you are getting to Dubai (airplane) but you REALLY should rent a car if you are going to be there three days. They are much cheaper in Abu Dhabi-about $40.00 per day INCLUDING full insurance. And the drive is easy and fast from Abu Dhabi to Dubai. Get a GOOD map. I have been lost many times in Dubai-the streets can be confusing. Then you can go where you want and do what you want.

Ski Dubai is a great deal for a few hours. Ski if you want, otherwise not particularly expensive just to ride the chairlift and stop for a drink at the half way point. And book tea at the Burj yourself. FORGET the ship tour. Easily bookable online. There are MANY places to book the bedouin tent/overnight in the desert. I have done it with the desk at the Hyatt and also from a local tour agency. About the same cost.

I am STILL stuck in Dubai. This is getting ridiculous. If the military is not going to move me by tomorrow (it is almost midnight here), I am going to go back to Abu Dhabi (of course, courtesy of Etihad airlines) and go to Kuwait myself. I have clearance to enter any base in the war zone.

Am getting REALLY tired of all these contractors running around, scooping up the chicks and spending money like crazy. They all wanted to go to the gold souk last night, with foreign chicks in tow (mostly Phillipino, with a couple from Bangladesh and India thrown in). Bet their wives/GF would be REALLY proud of them. I went with them and was totally astounded at some of the younger ones behavior. Some are damn lucky they have a job today and are not in a Dubai jail. Guess I shouldn't tell tales.

Got to find something to do. This is getting too boring. I have seen enough of Dubai to last me for the next year. Enjoy-my cynical attitude is showing through.

Don't know how you are getting to Dubai (airplane)

I have to figure this out in the next few days. We have a reservation on hold with SWISS (great service and one of our favorite carriers) to Dubai, but don't have enough miles for two tickets. We have to decide if paying to transfer 25,000 of my DH's miles will be worth it, or if we should pay for one of the tickets. US Airways has a special right now with the dividend miles where if you transfer miles to another person the recipient gets double miles. I have to work the numbers. The flights are running $1,300.00 US on multiple carriers. This is open jaw into Dubai and out of Athens, and US Airways only does round trip award travel based on the most expensive route (so need 160,000 miles for two coach tickets to the middle east). I wanted SWISS back with a 9 hour stop in Zurich but its not available for award travel, so may be flying Lufthansa with a long stopover in Munich. We have done that before and airport is easy to navigate.

Now that we have the Hyatt, I am seriously considering flying out earlier in the day, so we arrive earlier in Dubai to enjoy the facilities.

BTW-breakfast in the Market Cafe (really cool setting in the atrium of the hotel) is cheaper than you were told. I don't remember ever paying more than $25.00pp EXCEPT when they run the brunch and the "family dinners". I think they probably sent you prices from the "sit down-waiter" type restaurants. In fact, I just asked DH via Skype after I read your post and he said even the prime rib/prawn meal we had there in March 2009 was not over $100 including beer and my drinks (Kahlua which is generally expensive in restaurants unless they try to substitute Creme de Cocoa).

I saw the photos of the market cafe before you posted and it looks like our pace. Plus, even the pool grill could be an idea our first evening if we arrived earlier in the afternoon.

I am STILL stuck in Dubai. This is getting ridiculous. If the military is not going to move me by tomorrow (it is almost midnight here),

Got to find something to do. This is getting too boring. I have seen enough of Dubai to last me for the next year. Enjoy-my cynical attitude is showing through.

Where are you staying?

What is the time difference from East Coast USA?

Shopping (not sure about midnight though)

Greatam, Thanks! We booked the Grand Hyatt too.

My DH liked the idea. Btw, the call center that I got was in IL. They said they have two of them. I phoned 1.800.555.0233, and need to call 1.800.55.9655 to pay for the certificates. I was told the one where you pay is also in IL.

The key of course is to have the stay certificates indicated on the reservation. The actual certificates do not need to be paid for right away. I was told to allow at least 2 weeks for delivery but at least can wait to pay closer to our final payment date on the cruise. And, I was told the certificate is not tied into this specific hotel, meaning should we purchase the certificates and change plans we could cancel and rebook another hyatt somewhere that has availability at this premier level, and even on a different date. This is a great deal.

Received my Stay Certs today via Fed Ex. Costed an extra $6.

Bill

I have to figure this out in the next few days. We have a reservation on hold with SWISS (great service and one of our favorite carriers) to Dubai, but don't have enough miles for two tickets. We have to decide if paying to transfer 25,000 of my DH's miles will be worth it, or if we should pay for one of the tickets. US Airways has a special right now with the dividend miles where if you transfer miles to another person the recipient gets double miles. I have to work the numbers. The flights are running $1,300.00 US on multiple carriers. This is open jaw into Dubai and out of Athens, and US Airways only does round trip award travel based on the most expensive route (so need 160,000 miles for two coach tickets to the middle east). I wanted SWISS back with a 9 hour stop in Zurich but its not available for award travel, so may be flying Lufthansa with a long stopover in Munich. We have done that before and airport is easy to navigate.

Now that we have the Hyatt, I am seriously considering flying out earlier in the day, so we arrive earlier in Dubai to enjoy the facilities.

Jade33, we are flying in via United from Dulles. It is a non-stop. The only reason is that I am using my miles for Business class and can do a one way award on MileagePlus. I would prefer Emirates but I would have to do a round trip award and Emirates does not fly out of Barcelona, our last port. We are staying in Barcelona for 3 days and going to Madrid for 2 days. We are leaving from Madrid via Aer Lingus to Dulles, and then home. Aer Lingus has a code share with UA so I will be using another one way award on that leg. UA is not the greatest but I have been with them for 30 years. It is a B777 and I hope their business class is up to par.

Bill

Hi Folks

I have been reading through the posts regarding the stay certificates at the Hyatt Hotels and they seem like a great deal to me. I am looking to stay at the Hyatt for 3 nights after my cruise in Febuary / March. Only problem is that I am from the UK (Scotland). Does anyone know of a contact number that I could phone the Hyatt call centre from the UK and purchase a stay certificate ?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Folks

I have been reading through the posts regarding the stay certificates at the Hyatt Hotels and they seem like a great deal to me. I am looking to stay at the Hyatt for 3 nights after my cruise in Febuary / March. Only problem is that I am from the UK (Scotland). Does anyone know of a contact number that I could phone the Hyatt call centre from the UK and purchase a stay certificate ?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Call the 402 number previously posted. It is the out of the USA phone number for Hyatt.

Quick question before i book hotel, what is the best hyatt hotel for location for all tourist attractons.:rolleyes:

The Hyatt Regency is "downtown" around the old souks. Right on the Persian Gulf. Generally not much availability using the cheaper "Stay" certificates. The Park Hyatt is in Deira and will only accept the $300+ Stay Certificates IF there is availability.

The Grand Hyatt is centrally located-just about the same distance to "old" Dubai as to the new glitz and glamour-Ski Dubai, the Burj, Wild Wadi, Jumeriah, Mall of the Emeriates, etc.

Good luck!!!

Archived