Clothing for Egypt

Mzhelen

:DWe leave on Thursday, and I'm wondering on the appropriate clothing (from a "being respectful to the culture" stance). I've got a scarf to cover my head in religious sites, and am bringing shirts with sleeves. But what about pants? Are capris ok in Cairo, or should I plan on wearing longer pants? What about at the pyramids, or Valley of the Kings, etc.?

Also, are long shorts OK for men in Cairo, or should my SO plan on wearing long pants?

Thanks - I'm so excited I can barely contain myself!!!

I'm sure there will be some who'll tell you that shorts are okay. But since you ask about being respectful, I suggest that within Cairo, lightweight pants are the best alternative for men, and the same for women, or a long, loose-fitting skirt.

You'll see no one in Cairo wearing shorts except for other oblivious tourists. Wearing them elsewhere outside the city is not such an issue, but given that you may not have a chance to change...... If your SO has any of the "zip off" pants (the legs zip off and then they become shorts), that might work.

Capris are possibly okay if they are the longer looser-fitting ones.

Again, if you do wear the shorts and capris, no one will likely reprimand you or say anything as Egyptians pride themselves on their politeness and cordiality. However, you'll see when you get there that everyone in the city will be very covered up. You will be noticeable in shorts.

Thanks! Guess I'll be taking Dave to the store tonight to get a pair of lightweight khakis or Dockers for our 2 days in Cairo! :D

Those lightweight, breathable pants that are sold in camping stores work great and help you stay cool. My son took two pairs to Japan last year and thought they were actually cooler than shorts.

If your DH can find a pair of those zip-offs before you leave, I'd highly suggest those. They are very handy. Capris will be fine for you, if want. I did the zip-offs myself in Egypt, along with Ex-Officio and Eddie Bauer lightweight ventilated long-sleeved (that could be rolled up with tabs) shirts.

I was actually disgusted at the apparel I saw on the "tourists". Men in basketball shorts and tank tops, women in short shorts, just ugly. There are better ways to dress for hot weather... You will learn the meaning of "evaporative cooling" on your trip!

Archived