trenitalia,circumvensia,local trains, oh my!!!!

xcomet

Ok, after researching all the posts, and visiting the trenitalia site, I am very confused.

We want to take the train from Rome to Pompeii. The trenitalia has service on the fast train a little over 2 hrs.but on the trentitalia website it says station change, in naples. Huh???:confused:

Then I read here that the trenitalia goes to a different place in pompei , not the ruins. :confused:, so not to take the trenitalia.

Then I read that you need to take the circumvensia, from naples. :confused:

So is it in the same station?

I found a semi private bus that will go from rome to pompei, however, it is approx a 12 hr day!

Seems like if I did the train correctly (whichever train, station, line that is)

I could be there alot quicker ,see the sights , and perhaps shave 4 hours off that 12 hour day.

any clarity would be so appreciated.

The trains that run from Rome to Naples do not service Pompeii.

You would need to take a fast train to Naples (as you say, 2 hours), get off at the main train station, and transfer to the local line, called Circumvesuviana. The train stations are very close; I believe you can walk through a walkway from the main station to the Circumvesuviana station, although I haven't done it myself.

Then, after getting your ticket and validating it, you will take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. This will take another 30 minutes or so, not counting whatever time you'll spend waiting for the train in Naples. Probably around 3 hours altogether from Rome until you reach Pompeii.

Coming back, you'll reverse the process. It's not terribly difficult, but not exactly speedy either. Probably about 6 hours in transit total.

If you've found a good deal on a semi-private tour, it might be worth it to avoid the hassle. On the other hand, if you want to DIY, and possibly do some other things in the area while you're there (lunch in Sorrento? visit to the Archaeological Museum in Naples?), then as I said, it's not that difficult to take the train on your own.

I have done it, both ways (it wasn't intentional, but that's how you learn).

There is a state train (trenitalia) station in Pompei, but it's in the new city, about a mile or so from the ruins.

You want the Pompei Scavi area, which is a stop on the Circumvesuviana train line.

You take Trenitalia from Rome to Naples Centrale, then go downstairs following the signs for the Circumvesuviana and take that train to Pompei Scavi. It's an underground passageway from the Napoli Centrale station at Piazza Garibaldi to the Circumvesuviana station at Porta Nolana (which, just to confuse things even further, is on Corso Guiseppe Garibaldi).

The new, fast trains, make the trip from Rome to Naples in just over an hour. There is a 7:35 AM weekday train that arrives in Naples at 8:45. Allowing time to switch over to the Circumvesuviana, you could be at the ruins by about 9:30 AM.

As Cynthia says, just reverse everything to get back to Rome.

Ok, so If I am reading this from the trentalia web site

it means that the trentalia train goes from 10:29 to 11:40 (what is TIB)then

change to (NA C.LE ???) leaves 11:40 arrives Pompei 12:32

10:29

RO TIB12:32

POMPEI02:03 9605 FRECCIAROSSAtrn_243.gif58,80 € 45,80 € 11:40

NA C.LE3459 trn_197.giftrn_228.gif

I think that if you're trying to get to Pompei and back from Rome you'd better plan to get out the door much earlier than that.

TIB is Roma Tiburtina, another one of the Rome train stations.

Again, as both Cynthia and I said, you don't want to use the Trentialia line to Pompei, you need to look on a different web site as it is a different train line. On trenitalia, just look at Roma - Napoli.

I think that if you're trying to get to Pompei and back from Rome you'd better plan to get out the door much earlier than that.

TIB is Roma Tiburtina, another one of the Rome train stations.

Again, as both Cynthia and I said, you don't want to use the Trentialia line to Pompei, you need to look on a different web site as it is a different train line. On trenitalia, just look at Roma - Napoli.

HI

I think I typed that as you were entering yours,I think I get it now, However, I looked at both sites, for the train in Naples there are two staions listed . Is it Napoli Centro Direzionale, or Napoli Girabaldi Stazione Central?

BTW, just picked that time as an example. We are planning a semi early departure, but with 4 teens I can only hope for the best .:D

Archived