Do I need a passport?, Alaska cruise with stop in Canada

mmmenjou

To answer fann1sh, we are fully able to get passports. The issue is that the cruise was booked around 5 weeks before the departure date, and we did not want to get a passport if A) It wasn't going to arrive in time. B) We did not need it. Now before we booked the travel agent from expedia told us we did not need a passport for this particular cruise because it was going to alaska. As far the the train excursion, we are not even considering taking this excursion so its not really an issue anymore. The only excursion in question is the one in Victoria to the Buchart Gardens. But now after reading this thread, there is only more confusion. We have some people saying we can't go on the cruise at all, some saying we can't get off in Victoria, and some saying we can?? Just want to get to the bottom of this before friday, and yes I understand the passport would have made the most sense but at this point I think 4 days is far to short notice to get a passport.

To answer fann1sh, we are fully able to get passports. The issue is that the cruise was booked around 5 weeks before the departure date, and we did not want to get a passport if A) It wasn't going to arrive in time. B) We did not need it. Now before we booked the travel agent from expedia told us we did not need a passport for this particular cruise because it was going to alaska. As far the the train excursion, we are not even considering taking this excursion so its not really an issue anymore. The only excursion in question is the one in Victoria to the Buchart Gardens. But now after reading this thread, there is only more confusion. We have some people saying we can't go on the cruise at all, some saying we can't get off in Victoria, and some saying we can?? Just want to get to the bottom of this before friday, and yes I understand the passport would have made the most sense but at this point I think 4 days is far to short notice to get a passport.

Cherylandtk (and those who agree) have given you the correct information. To recap:

As US citizens you do not need a passport for a closed loop cruise to Alaska departing from a US port. An original or certified copy of your birth certificate plus a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license suffices.

You will be able to get off the ship in Victoria.

The only shore excursions you would not be able to do are those that start in Alaska, enter Canada, and return again to Alaska, by either land or air.

I was on a cruise 2 years ago in Alaska. My TA said that I would need a passport. We were boarded at a stop on the train from Skagway and everyone had to show their passport. Everyone had to show their passport in Victoria too.

Archived