All things Voyager of the Seas

If you have a specific question about her I will be glad to try and answer your question. It might take me a few days to get back to you but just ask and I'll do what I can to help you.

I believe there is a gym on board and I am wondering if I must wear trainers if I use it or could I get away with a pair of casual shoes?

I am trying to reduce the amount of shoes I need to carry.

I've been in the gym on Voyager many times. Wear whatever you want. No one checks your shoes.

I do my own Yoga and Pilates work out and don't wear any shoes.

Yes, I'm a chicken!!

BUT, I have good news. I emailed the hotel through the website, asking about my specific date, which is just one week prior to yours. The reply said that their records indicated that the promotion was valid for my dates and I should book through the website.

I had to use your trick in order to book through the website, as it still wanted to cut off the promo as of January 31, but I have the email which states that the promo is VALID for my dates AND a comformation from the website. So...hopefully the two TOGETHER will insure us transporation to the cruise terminal!!

So we're booked too!!!

It's really a good deal. Based on taxi fare charts I found on-line, the taxi service to Galveston would have cost us about $200 round trip, plus tips. We were looking at a really cheap Motel 6, which would have added about $100 for two rooms, estimating the taxes. We'd also have had a taxi fare from the hotel to the cruise port the morning of the cruise.

For almost the same price, we're getting a much nicer hotel and a nice breakfast buffet the morning of the cruise. And we don't have to add an hour drive to Galveston from the airport directly to the end of a long day of traveling. I'd so much rather stay in Houston and do the last leg the next morning.

Thanks to whoever recommended this deal. It's worked out really well for us!!

Hehehehehe !

Could you just give me the name of the person who signed the letter you got from the hotel. If they ask me I will just say I got a letter too, but darn it, I must have left it home. The person's name should be good enough. lol

Jimbo:)

You would most likely need some sort of sneakers in the gym - it depends on what type of exercise you plan on doing. If you're just doing weights or floor work, you could go barefoot but to use elliptical, treadmill, you'd want sneakers. You'll probably need a pair anyway for all the walking around you'll be doing.

I have linked to the shoes I mean (mine are exactly the same except they have laces). I use them for walking around and was hoping not to have to carry another pair of trainers (sneakers) just for the gym.

http://www.lovethoseshoes.com/earth-harvest-white-work-shoe/

Its been 4yrs since we have been on VOS. I thought I read somewhere that she went onto drydock last year??? If so, what did they do to her...soft goods, hard goods, restaurants?

Any info on grand and owners suites will be great also

Ann

Godley TX

A lot of her tile and floor coverings were replaced along with upholstered furniture, window coverings and patio furniture. Majesty has extensive refurbishing with fantastic glass mosaic tile and new fixtures in her public restrooms, but alas, didn't see anything new there on Voyager, in fact, they had totally removed the water in the lovely aquariums in the aquarium bar, no more fish:( I was hoping they would clean these out and restock them but o well.

• 4 months later...

Just got off the Voyager this morning and a couple of things I noticed:

1) If you want Splenda or Sweet'n'Low in your coffee or tea, or other food, be aware: the pink packages are NOT Sweet'n'Low and the Yellow packages are NOT Splenda - they are ALL aspartame. I took RCCL to task heavily on this in my comment card. If they don't want to provide a decent sweetener, okay, but don't try to fools us into thinking we're getting something beside what we are getting.

2) The internet packages have been updated to various combinations up to 500 minutes. With the 500-minute package, you pay .30 per minute, but don't save much time for the last morning. They cut off access very shortly after 5:00 am. My husband was hopping mad!

1) If you want Splenda or Sweet'n'Low in your coffee or tea, or other food, be aware: the pink packages are NOT Sweet'n'Low and the Yellow packages are NOT Splenda - they are ALL aspartame. I took RCCL to task heavily on this in my comment card. If they don't want to provide a decent sweetener, okay, but don't try to fools us into thinking we're getting something beside what we are getting.

2) The internet packages have been updated to various combinations up to 500 minutes. With the 500-minute package, you pay .30 per minute, but don't save much time for the last morning. They cut off access very shortly after 5:00 am. My husband was hopping mad!

Hi Georgene, thanks for the heads-up on the artificial sweeteners. I'll be sure to bring my own packets.

BTW we're neighbors! I'm in Plano also. Off Legacy. Did you have late, early or MTD seating? We'll be on the Voyager in Jan. and have late seating. Although we find 5:30 way too early, 8pm way too late, we worry if we take 7PM MTD we won't be able to make the nightclub shows :confused: Sometimes dining in the MDR can take almost 2 hours!

Can you let us know a bit more about your cruise?

Thanks and wb.

That is terrible, a lot of people are highly allergic to aspertane. If they think the yellow packages are splenda it could cause serious trouble. I always carry my own splenda packets in a zip lock bag until I see if it is available. The waiters on the Radiance insisted it was really splenda, very scary.:eek::mad:

Hi Georgene, thanks for the heads-up on the artificial sweeteners. I'll be sure to bring my own packets.

BTW we're neighbors! I'm in Plano also. Off Legacy. Did you have late, early or MTD seating? We'll be on the Voyager in Jan. and have late seating. Although we find 5:30 way too early, 8pm way too late, we worry if we take 7PM MTD we won't be able to make the nightclub shows :confused: Sometimes dining in the MDR can take almost 2 hours!

Hey, neighbor! We're near Custer/Parker.

We had early dining. Table 474. I do not want to sound negative, because we really enjoyed our cruise, but this is not a good table. It's enclosed by 3 walls, which means, when they turn the music up to just more than a whisper (which is frequently) the sound bounces off the walls and makes conversation impossible. Literally. The servers there (Manderson was the waiter) were excellent. They would jump through hoops to get you out of there if that is what you wanted. But you do not want table 474 if you are at all sensitive to sound. In fact, it's a table for 6, and the other 4 besides me and my dh left after the second night and went to MTD, leaving me and dh to stare at each other :-)

BTW, I also want to mention: in some of my previous RCCL cruises, the Maitre d' was pretty much an invisible non-presence. I never understood why we were supposed to tip them (we never drink, and never ask for much of anything special). But this time and last January on the Voyager, we had Head Waiters that were at our table every single night, checking on things, making sure things were good (which I assume is the previous domain of the Maitre d'). I was pleased to tip the Head Waiter both times.

Bonnie, what date are you sailing in January? We're sailing on the 30th. (I'm sorry - I have siggies turned off at the moment, so if it's in your signature I can't see it). Edited to add: ah, I see, 40 days, and mine is in approximately 60, so we will miss each other.)

That is terrible, a lot of people are highly allergic to aspertane. If they think the yellow packages are splenda it could cause serious trouble. I always carry my own splenda packets in a zip lock bag until I see if it is available. The waiters on the Radiance insisted it was really splenda, very scary.:eek::mad:

I agree with you. I am not sensitive to aspartame, but there are people who are seriously sensitive to it, and while I realize we need to read labels - and I am a big label-reader (which is why I noticed the problem) many people are in a relaxed state during a vacation and would just trust the line not to fool them in this way.

I can deal with almost any problem except for deception. That puts RCCL several steps down the rung, in my opinion. I also (in my comment card) mentioned less than casually that if Carnival can afford to provide Splenda, (and Canival does provide it).....then with the prices that RCCL charges, they can too!

I agree with you. I am not sensitive to aspartame, but there are people who are seriously sensitive to it, and while I realize we need to read labels - and I am a big label-reader (which is why I noticed the problem) many people are in a relaxed state during a vacation and would just trust the line not to fool them in this way.

I can deal with almost any problem except for deception. That puts RCCL several steps down the rung, in my opinion. I also (in my comment card) mentioned less than casually that if Carnival can afford to provide Splenda, (and Canival does provide it).....then with the prices that RCCL charges, they can too!

Now if only they would provide Stevia... We don't use any of the artificial sweeteners. Our nutritionist only permits Stevia, organic maple syrup and organic honey. I just bring my little can of Stevia tabs for hot beverages and a small bottle of liquid Stevia for cold. No big deal. Heck I am thrilled they will provide me with anything to eat on my gluten free/ casein free diet.

Hey, neighbor! We're near Custer/Parker.

We had early dining. Table 474. I do not want to sound negative, because we really enjoyed our cruise, but this is not a good table. It's enclosed by 3 walls, which means, when they turn the music up to just more than a whisper (which is frequently) the sound bounces off the walls and makes conversation impossible. Literally. The servers there (Manderson was the waiter) were excellent. They would jump through hoops to get you out of there if that is what you wanted. But you do not want table 474 if you are at all sensitive to sound. In fact, it's a table for 6, and the other 4 besides me and my dh left after the second night and went to MTD, leaving me and dh to stare at each other :-)

BTW, I also want to mention: in some of my previous RCCL cruises, the Maitre d' was pretty much an invisible non-presence. I never understood why we were supposed to tip them (we never drink, and never ask for much of anything special). But this time and last January on the Voyager, we had Head Waiters that were at our table every single night, checking on things, making sure things were good (which I assume is the previous domain of the Maitre d'). I was pleased to tip the Head Waiter both times.

Bonnie, what date are you sailing in January? We're sailing on the 30th. (I'm sorry - I have siggies turned off at the moment, so if it's in your signature I can't see it). Edited to add: ah, I see, 40 days, and mine is in approximately 60, so we will miss each other.)

Hi Georgene, we're near Legacy and Coit.

The one thing we do IMMEDIATELY upon entering the ship is to go to the dining room, if open, and make sure we have a "good" table. So far we've never been disappointed. Thanks for the heads up on 474. It's been noted! I too never understood tipping the head waiter or whatever they are called. On previous cruises, the head waiter always showed up at our table ONCE to remove our lobster from the shell. A totally unnecessary and sort of embarrassing moment, like I am a child and need my food cut up for me. I always graciously declined. We always tipped him however, since that's what was expected. The room steward and the wait staff go out of their way to make sure our cruise is as problem free as possible and should always be tipped accordingly.

How was the entertainment? The food in general? Sorry we won't be cruising together.

Terrific information here ... thanks to all. We're on the 1/16 sailing. It seems a bit odd that this is only our second cruise out of Galveston, given that we live in Houston. We were on the Grand Princess in '07, so it's been three years. Most of our cruises have been out of Ft. Lauderdale (thank you, Southwest Airlines, for making free flights so attainable) because of the variety of itineraries. But now that we've been pretty much everywhere several times (this will be cruise #42 or thereabouts for me), the ship is now our primary destination. As I've noted elsewhere, we're Cozumel'd out, the sting rays in Grand Cayman know us by our first names, and Jamaica is ... well, Jamaica, the new port of Falmouth notwithstanding. We'll probably just poke around for anything new, fight off the aggressive entrepreneurs, and return to the ship. The alternate route presents nothing new to us either ... we booked the cruise based solely upon the sail date.

We were on last year's westbound transatlantic on the Independence ... basically Voyager on steroids. We enjoyed ourselves, but found the ship just too much. Outrageous fares aside, we have no desire to try the Oasis or Allure. I've sailed the Adventure, so I pretty well know what to expect. From what I gather, the Voyager is in excellent shape, the staff is attentive and competent, the food is ... well, we won't get into anything that subjective. Save for Derek Lewis, we're not anticipating anything special as concerns entertainment. What we'll miss, though, is not having Internet access in our stateroom. We're Realtors (albeit part-time ... we're basically retired, working from referrals) and need to stay in touch. The hotspot thing will be a bit inconvenient, but we can handle it for a week.

Thanks again for all the info ... keep it coming.

Al

Terrific information here ... thanks to all. We're on the 1/16 sailing. It seems a bit odd that this is only our second cruise out of Galveston, given that we live in Houston. We were on the Grand Princess in '07, so it's been three years. Most of our cruises have been out of Ft. Lauderdale (thank you, Southwest Airlines, for making free flights so attainable) because of the variety of itineraries.

Much like you, we've cruised more out of Lauderdale than our own home port of Galveston, and our last was on the Grand. We're giving the Voyager a try for Valentines, and are looking forward to the Mariner and Magic next year. Although we wish they offered 10 days out of here.

Galveston has a great deal to offer especially if you've never seen Moody Gardens, the Rail Road, Lone Star Flight or Maritine Museums, shopped the Strand, dined at Gaido's etc etc. Ater 40 years of business travel staying in Houston, or any other big city, just to spend a night would not appeal to me. No matter where you stay in Galveston, you are never more than 15 min. to the terminals.JMHO:)

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

My husband & I are very social but we want a table for 2 for our dinners and prefer not to be directly beside another table. I've read the tables for 2 are very close together with only minor separation, but I've also read there are a few tables for 2 that are lined up towards the back of the dining room that aren't close together. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for any input....or specific table numbers.

BTW: We have MTD.

BTW: We have MTD.

This limits your choices. A specific area of the MDR is set aside for MTD, so you won't have the option of selecting any specific table or area. We always choose MTD, and have often been seated at a table for two. Bear in mind, however, that the Voyager may be different from the other ships, as it's the first of its class, and modifications must certainly have been made along the way. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise ... have a great time.

so we were on last weeks voyager, and at the end there was a passenger that was medivaced off the ship. Does anyone know what happened and if he was ok??? I've been thinking about it non stop since we got home.

WE HAVE BOOKED 2 CABINS FOR VOS FOR DEC 05 2010 AND we have received the luggage tags for room 9500 but not for 9200 yet. Please advise what to do?

Since you are so close to sailing you will have to wait to get them at the pier. Page 3 of the Set Sail Pass has a copy of the luggage tags to show the stevedore. He will get your baggage tagged for you. Just don't forget the tip!

Hi,

We are also a party of 4 on a budget and will be coming in on a Saturday. I received an e-mail quote from Zlimosine for $35 per person Hou to Gal to Hou in a shared van.

I assume that the price is from Hobby ... sounds pretty fair to me. If it's from Intercontinental, it's a ... nah, can't be.

Would a taxi be less than a limo service? We'll be a group of 4 on a budget. Looking for the cheapest way to get from Hobby to Galveston. We'll be flying in on Saturday, but we are flying out on Sunday, so a rental car wouldn't work.

Thanks!

Yes, its from Hobby.

Hey, thanks for this information. This is a GREAT deal. Right now, it's only being offered through January 31, 2011 and my cruise is in February. If they extend it, this would definitely be the way to go! It's less $$ than any other option I've found.

You could also contact Zlimosine for a shared van rate. We were quoted $35 pp round trip from Hobby.

so we were on last weeks voyager, and at the end there was a passenger that was medivaced off the ship. Does anyone know what happened and if he was ok??? I've been thinking about it non stop since we got home.

Don't know about that situation but could you answer a couple of questions?

1) who is the cruise director?

2) is Derek Lewis at the Pig and Whistle?

Archived