bigger passenger

closure

I'm new to CC but I gotta say, I loved this thread and hope to cruise and laugh with y'all in the future :)

welcome to CC, lissa. There is a lot of good info in this thread. It was sorely needed. Have you travelled/cruised a lot? have any tips or pointers or anything you want to share?

We're less than 6 months out now for our next cruise and i can't wait!

I've cruised 3 times before, my 4th will be in 28 days, we're redoing our honeymoon cruise, Haven't travelled alot but I've been a few places. The one thing I do always do is the minute I step on the plane when they greet you, I ask for my seatbelt extended at that moment, the other advice is if it applies to cruising, read these boards, I've learned so much, that I just had no clue about :-) Plus you'll "meet" some nice folks!

Although I feel that you have an inherent bias against fat people that motivates your question, I will answer it from a legal perspective without arguing about whether these policies are right from a moral perspective.

Today, there are several factors which the Social Security Administration uses to determine whether a person is disabled. These factors are the same no matter what disease is involved, whether it be obesity, or say multiple sclerosis or Addison's disease. If any medical condition impairs the basic life activities of the claimant to the point that the Administration determines the person is unable to work, they will be found disabled. (There is a detailed five step process, if you really want to understand it, see this legal citation: 20 C.F.R. 416.920.) With regards to obesity, the administrators who make this decision often look at the cause of the person's medical condition of obesity; glandular conditions such as hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome that contribute to obesity are taken into account. In addition, other conditions that often accompany obesity, such as diabetes, kidney issues, and back pain are also taken into account in determining disability.

In conclusion, if you think this is not a proper procedure for determining disability, then I guess you should try to work toward changing the criteria. I personally believe this is a fair system, usually administered by conscientious judges and doctors who are honestly trying to determine whether a medical condition renders a person unable to work. Obesity, by definition, is a medical condition that can have this result.

Although I feel that you have an inherent bias against fat people that motivates your question, I will answer it from a legal perspective without arguing about whether these policies are right from a moral perspective.

Today, there are several factors which the Social Security Administration uses to determine whether a person is disabled. These factors are the same no matter what disease is involved, whether it be obesity, or say multiple sclerosis or Addison's disease. If any medical condition impairs the basic life activities of the claimant to the point that the Administration determines the person is unable to work, they will be found disabled. (There is a detailed five step process, if you really want to understand it, see this legal citation: 20 C.F.R. 416.920.) With regards to obesity, the administrators who make this decision often look at the cause of the person's medical condition of obesity; glandular conditions such as hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome that contribute to obesity are taken into account. In addition, other conditions that often accompany obesity, such as diabetes, kidney issues, and back pain are also taken into account in determining disability.

In conclusion, if you think this is not a proper procedure for determining disability, then I guess you should try to work toward changing the criteria. I personally believe this is a fair system, usually administered by conscientious judges and doctors who are honestly trying to determine whether a medical condition renders a person unable to work. Obesity, by definition, is a medical condition that can have this result.

Wow that was so much better than me offering her a hug

[quote name='sweetsublissa']Aww thanks, it's all good, whenever someone makes remark about my weight, I just explain to them that I can lose weight, they can't stop being them, so thus I'm the lucky one :-)[/quote]

*grin* that's one i need to remember. I vented on FB the other day about how it's never ok to be rude to someone just cause they're overweight. I will never understand how it's still socially acceptable to make fun of floofy folks.

It's the one part of cruising that i just loathe. That, and trying to filter out all the cruise lines and ships that don't have armless chairs or proper bathroom configurations, or pools with steps instead of ladders etc. I'm so excited to be going on Carnival Magic in March. It's got just about everything on it that will allow me to not have to stress about finding a place to sit. I can just go, relax and enjoy my vacation.

Happy sailing everyone.

[quote name='sweetsublissa']So happy for you!!! I talked to Jas today but not long enough to talk about me going. :-([/quote]

are you and he Long Distance or something? It seems that you rarely get to talk to him. Or does he work night shifts? I think i'd go nuts if i didn't have contact like that lol.

btw, i had asked you over on the roll call thread if you followed JH's blog and FB page but i don't think you saw it.

[quote name='MissRabbit']are you and he Long Distance or something? It seems that you rarely get to talk to him. Or does he work night shifts? I think i'd go nuts if i didn't have contact like that lol.

btw, i had asked you over on the roll call thread if you followed JH's blog and FB page but i don't think you saw it.[/quote]

Yes i do, he's funny as heck. We're only long distance 6 mos out of the year. He works in Brazil. Right now is a special case, he's sailing a new rig from korea to brazil, but they're doing crew change in Richards Cay, South Africa, so he'll get off there. Do you have yahoo?? If you do I'm the same name on there, Is there a way to send you a message on here if you don't?

[quote name='arhillbilly']Just wanted to share a website with yall.....they have plus size clothing for us BBW.....some really pretty dresses and some are very reasonably priced

[URL="http://www.therosedress.com"]www.therosedress.com[/URL]

Have loved reading all 15 pages of this thread[/quote]

welcome to the thread arhillbilly :)

Being overweight can be partly metabolic / reaction to meds and partly learned behavior. Eating styles, reaction to stress, physical problems that hinder getting enough exercise...
I am more worried about learned behavior that makes one intolerant and very uncompassionate towards fellow human beings.
This thread is supposed to be about sharing cruise tips for dealing with disabilities - in a positive way, if possible.
Please "play nice", and to quote a phrase I learned from CC
"Well, bless your heart"

Thank you to the moderators for their edits.
Some of the previous posts replied to an inappropriate poster
who was "dissing" fluffy folks.
Those offensive posts have vanished.
Now we may return to our usual polite, friendly cruise conversations.

[quote name='lovebunnyok']Yes, thank you Mods :)

If you feel the need, you can take my last post down as well. It was a reply to said person.

So, does anyone have some good news for the week? Anything fun happening? :)[/quote]

Yes thank you very much Mods. I do, my doc called Monday and my WLS is schedule for Oct 20th. 4 days after I get back from my cruise Edited by sweetsublissa

[quote name='sweetsublissa']Yes thank you very much Mods. I do, my doc called Monday and my WLS is schedule for Oct 20th. 4 days after I get back from my cruise[/quote]

That is awesome!! I am just starting that journey myself. I have to go to one of those seminars in October. I have wanted to do it for a long time, but the tornado here in Tuscaloosa was the final straw that kicked my butt. My husband and I had to climb out of the rubble that was our apartment (me without any shoes), and I told myself if I could survive a tornado, then I could survive a silly surgery!

So I totally understand your excitement and wish you lots of luck! :)

[quote name='lovebunnyok']That is awesome!! I am just starting that journey myself. I have to go to one of those seminars in October. I have wanted to do it for a long time, but the tornado here in Tuscaloosa was the final straw that kicked my butt. My husband and I had to climb out of the rubble that was our apartment (me without any shoes), and I told myself if I could survive a tornado, then I could survive a silly surgery!

So I totally understand your excitement and wish you lots of luck! :)[/quote]

Aww thanks love, just don't get frustrated on that journey, no matter how much of a PITA it may become. Good luck, keep us updated!

thank you, mods, for removing those terrible posts and most of all, thank you for leaving this thread intact. It has some wonderful, useful tips and information in here.

Now let's get back to the fun!

I have a question for those of you who have sailed on cruises where the MDR all has arms on them.... do you ask the maitre'd for an armless chair? will it be a one time asking thing or have you had to ask at every service? Also, do ALL cruiselines have these armless chairs lurking away in their closets?

Hopefully my reply doesnt get removed for i might upset some people.

first off I am overweight, 50 more pounds to go towards my goal AND I am disabled. Wheelchair bound alot of the time depending on the illness.

So here goes..someone posted something like "i can lose weight but they cant stop being them."

and you know I think as overweight people we need to ALSO understand those that are not. As in that comment even peed me off.

Why you ask??? I am disabled and even when I take off the last 50 pounds I WILL STILL BE DISABLED. there is no cure for me, there is no OA, there is not gastric surgery or lap band.

If I could be cured by losing the weight I would be pounding down the gym rooms door every day, to exercise, I would be getting surgery if need be, I would be monitoring every bite of food i put into my mouths..so that i wasn't disabled.

so that i could walk

so that i could sit at the beach with my kids

so that i could live longer

I don't have that choice

and I think THAT is why abled bodies do not understand were the obese people and their belief, come from, hell I am over weight and I don't understand how an overweight person can be classified as disabled. In alot of cases there is a CURE! and i think comments like the above, about being able to lose weight, just feeds into the ignorance of those that don't even try to understand it. All they see is that this obese person just stated that they can lose weight..so why don't they?

Now that being said, before you go getting all mad, I'm not saying you're wrong, or you should not be classifed as disabled or you should not have a room.

im saying to try to understand the view of others, and watch what we say. We do not need to rub it in their faces that we can just lose weight or get lap band to become mobile.

And finally, although I am not morbidly obese (any more I have lost 42 pounds to date), but i am and always will be disabled due to this disease. And this thread has opened my eyes alot to the trials and hassels an over weight person goes through. It is a good thread.

But I do think not only do others need to show tolerance and understanding..so do we.

[quote name='Marian Paroo'][COLOR=DarkOrchid]What does your avatar stand for? Never saw one like that before.[/COLOR][/quote]

On April 27, 2011, Tuscaloosa, Alabama was hit by an F4 tornado that was over a mile long in width. My husband and I were in our apartment and had no idea (mainly because weather technology here sucks) that it was heading right for us. We got into the bathroom in time, but not enough time to save our pets. Our bathroom was the only room left standing in a 2 story apartment building. We lost everything that day, but were lucky to have renters insurance that helped us to replace the material possessions and give us our first cruise in December. My avatar is a hounds-tooth ribbon that symbolizes the unity this town has had since that day, and the strength we have to rebuild. :)