bigger passenger

closure

After seeing pics of Johnny Rockets on Royal Carib Voyager of the Seas, it looks like it's just booths, not user friendly for plus size folks. Does anyone have any experience?

Yes, but on the Explorer the tables do move -- however, the person sitting opposite must be a skinny.

Does anyone know if it is possible to request that a larger wheelchair be available for embarkation and disembarkation? The only ship I have cruised that had larger wheelchairs available was the Carnival Miracle. I will be cruising with Celebrity soon and the wheelchairs they had available when I last cruised with them were basically built for 150 lb people max., which I am not.

I don't need a wheelchair often enough to bring one or rent one. I get around the ship fine with a cane and do also have a rollator if need be. It is just that I have found that there is more standing and walking than I can tolerate when getting on and off the ship, including some ports. I am happy to tip the pusher generously, but hate to have to cram myself into a small wheelchair and then worry that it will break in an embarrassing incident.

Has anyone called special needs with a request like this or will I be laughed at?

The special needs department is there for everyone with special needs. Please don't worry about giving them a call about this. I don't use a wheelchair so i don't know the answer to your question, but the special needs/accessible department should be able to help you. Good luck.

Hey folks,

I have a question for those who have visited the Southern Carribbean recently. Last April I took a cruise that included Jamaica and Grand Cayman. The ship excursion bus for each of those places was uncomfortably small. I was expecting a full size bus. Do you know if that is the case for all the Carribbean now? I will be visiting St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Lucia,

Dominica, Barbados, Grenada, Curacao, and Aruba next month.

Also, any suggestions, information regarding the Celebrity Millennium is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lesa

I think if you emailed/called the Special Needs/Access Department with specific excursions you will be taking, they should be able to let you know what kind of transportation will be used for the excursion. Since they use local companies for excursions, you're kind of stuck relying on what vehicles are available for that company. I think it also depends on how many people sign up for the excursion as the company, naturally, is going to want to use the vehicle best suited to the quantity of people. I would expect though, that your experience before in dealing with cramped quarters might still be an issue.

As for the Celebrity Millenium, it's a great ship. There are several venues that don't offer comfortable seating (chairs without arms, benches or sofas). However, there are plenty of places to sit throughout most of the ship. The Millenium was a very beautiful ship. It's been 8 years since we sailed her, but i imagine she's just as beautiful.

I thought I could do it on-board. They had nothing in big sizes to choose from. I will bring a suit with me next time (I still see no reason to formally dress on a vacation, but I do not get the meals if I don't). I will ride around on my scooter, with my suit on, and my soft cuddly shoes used because of swollen feet.

After my DH was injured he put on a great deal of weight and his tux pants no longer fit. Since he uses a power chair, it didn't matter how the pants looked in the rear.....SO what I did was buy a pair of tux pants on ebay and have a tailor use that pair to expand the one that matched his jacket :) Or you could buy 2 cheap pairs and use them to merge into one :) He wears crocs with his ;)

I think if you emailed/called the Special Needs/Access Department with specific excursions you will be taking, they should be able to let you know what kind of transportation will be used for the excursion. Since they use local companies for excursions, you're kind of stuck relying on what vehicles are available for that company. I think it also depends on how many people sign up for the excursion as the company, naturally, is going to want to use the vehicle best suited to the quantity of people. I would expect though, that your experience before in dealing with cramped quarters might still be an issue.

As for the Celebrity Millenium, it's a great ship. There are several venues that don't offer comfortable seating (chairs without arms, benches or sofas). However, there are plenty of places to sit throughout most of the ship. The Millenium was a very beautiful ship. It's been 8 years since we sailed her, but i imagine she's just as beautiful.

I will do as you suggest.

Also, what about the seats in the Cinema on the Millennium? Were they ample? I am aware that the MDR has all armless chairs, and am very glad about that.

I will do as you suggest.

Also, what about the seats in the Cinema on the Millennium? Were they ample? I am aware that the MDR has all armless chairs, and am very glad about that.

Are you talking about the Cinema or the theatre? The theatre on the Millenium, where you watch the nightly stage shows etc, has bench seating. There are little itty bitty tables that may get in the way a bit. but i just sat on the bench between the tables and was perfectly fine.

The small cinema where you watch movies has your typical theatre seating with arms..you know, the kind before the theatres put in stadium seating with moving armrests.

Of course, things may have changed between then and now. Happy cruisin!

My cruise is coming up the end of next week and i'm starting to get stressed. It's such an undertaking. So much walking, so many people, so much going on. I also have Fibro and stress and excess walking really set it off.

I've booked a few excursions and i'm just hoping and praying that i'll be able to physically climb in and out of the boats, swim to shore etc like i believe i'll be able to do.

Walking around in shorts and swimsuit & sleeveless tanks also can be stressful as so many people point and stare or say rude things.

How can a trip that i'm so excited for, also bring such stress and anxiety?

Anyway, I just needed to talk about it. My husband is very understanding about it all but can't truly "get it" as he doesn't have to deal with it himself.

THanks for listening. I wish you all the best on your upcoming cruises.

My cruise is coming up the end of next week and i'm starting to get stressed. It's such an undertaking. So much walking, so many people, so much going on. I also have Fibro and stress and excess walking really set it off.

I've booked a few excursions and i'm just hoping and praying that i'll be able to physically climb in and out of the boats, swim to shore etc like i believe i'll be able to do.

Walking around in shorts and swimsuit & sleeveless tanks also can be stressful as so many people point and stare or say rude things.

Anyway, I just needed to talk about it. My husband is very understanding about it all but can't truly "get it" as he doesn't have to deal with it himself.

Ms. Rabbit -- You are always so upbeat and encouraging ... be encouraged yourself!!! My DH and I (fluffy people, too) had a fantastic time on our excursions. He got a little tired from the walking, but he was a trooper :) Don't let others get you down. Why do you care what they think ... you are a fantastic person and deserve to have a great time!! I know from experience that it is not easy to "be a duck" (you know, water off a duck's back), but you just have to determine in your mind that this is YOUR vacation and enjoy!! :D

thank you for your kind words. You're right, but it is so hard to be a duck. I want to be a duck, but i'm literally a softie inside and out so the mean things ppl say really get to me. I don't want them to, but they do.

I'm glad you and your hubby had a great time on your cruise. I see it was your first cruise. Has the cruising bug bit you? It's been 8 years since we've been on a cruise. We're lonnnggg overdue.

I do hope you are able to relax and enjoy!! If you are tuckered out than just sit by the pool and watch the clouds go by!!! I know we try to be tough but we are all mushy on the inside and it hurts sometime.

As I loaded this page up my friend posted comment on her facebook I thought was appropiate. I believe that Dr. Seuss is one of the best philosophers out there!!!

"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss. :)

<far away hugs>

Edited by panbear
spelling

thank you for your kind words. You're right, but it is so hard to be a duck. I want to be a duck, but i'm literally a softie inside and out so the mean things ppl say really get to me. I don't want them to, but they do.

I'm glad you and your hubby had a great time on your cruise. I see it was your first cruise. Has the cruising bug bit you? It's been 8 years since we've been on a cruise. We're lonnnggg overdue.

Of course the cruising bug has hit :D DH has resisted going on a cruise for years and years. Once I finally talked him into it, he said that he can't believe that we didn't do this years ago ... well, I wonder why not :rolleyes:

It's now our vacation of choice!! Flying makes it so much more expensive, that I think next time we'll cruise out of Baltimore since that's about an 8 hour drive.

Have a blast on your cruise!!!

I do hope you are able to relax and enjoy!! If you are tuckered out than just sit by the pool and watch the clouds go by!!! I know we try to be tough but we are all mushy on the inside and it hurts sometime.

As I loaded this page up my friend posted comment on her facebook I thought was appropiate. I believe that Dr. Seuss is one of the best philosophers out there!!!

"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss. :)

<far away hugs>

I've heard that quote before, but never knew it was from the inspired Dr. Seuss. Thank you for that.

Schoifmom...... I leave in one week from today. We're driving to Seattle, flying out of Seatac to Houston then to Miami. Thankfully we get in a full day ahead so we have most of saturday to recouperate. I am planning on having the best time of my life there. We recently went through alot with my father and a cancer diagnosis. He is on the mend now, but it has truly made me grateful for every moment i'm alive. I will never know if this is my last cruise, my last time to spend quality time with the love of my life. So i am trying my hardest to just throw caution to the wind and enjoy myself.

I've heard that quote before, but never knew it was from the inspired Dr. Seuss. Thank you for that.

Schoifmom...... I leave in one week from today. We're driving to Seattle, flying out of Seatac to Houston then to Miami. Thankfully we get in a full day ahead so we have most of saturday to recouperate. I am planning on having the best time of my life there. We recently went through alot with my father and a cancer diagnosis. He is on the mend now, but it has truly made me grateful for every moment i'm alive. I will never know if this is my last cruise, my last time to spend quality time with the love of my life. So i am trying my hardest to just throw caution to the wind and enjoy myself.

Miss Rabbit, what airlines are you using? Thanks.

hi missrabbit

well I see your time to cruise is coming up. you have a great time on your cruise. relax and enjoy!

Hey girl....you just take a deep breath and go for it ! I totally understand your fears and anxieties, but once you leave your home and begin your holiday I wish for you, great moments of excitement, joy and accomplishments on your holiday. Sending big hugs as well !

Here is another wonderful quote and I look forward to hearing all about your trip and fullfilled dreams !

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Jules01,

I will be flying on Continental on the way down and Delta on the way back. I didn't want Delta as their aisle armrests don't move on most planes, but i got an awesome deal on the flight that i couldn't resist. I'll climb over the aisle armrest if i have to. All i really need is the armrests between seats to move.

hi missrabbit

well I see your time to cruise is coming up. you have a great time on your cruise. relax and enjoy!

thank you kindly mgm :)

Hey girl....you just take a deep breath and go for it ! I totally understand your fears and anxieties, but once you leave your home and begin your holiday I wish for you, great moments of excitement, joy and accomplishments on your holiday. Sending big hugs as well !

Here is another wonderful quote and I look forward to hearing all about your trip and fullfilled dreams !

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

awww you made my eyes leak with that one :p I am sure that once i leave home, it'll all go well.

Miss Rabbit,

I might not get on here this week, wanted to say hope all goes well. Try to relax and just take it as it comes!!!!

Have a a blast!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

I will be sure to come back and tell everyone about it. Not only am i wanting to share in the fun i had, but i want to help inform others that are bigger, of the tips, good times and issues that come with cruising.

I recently made two reservations, one with Princess and one with HAL. Both required a verification letter. I will have a scooter and use a Portable Oxygen Compressor.

Princess wanted my doctor to fill out a detailed sheet, with diagnosis, meds, and where by birthmark was;)

HAL wanted me to fill out a simpler form explaining why I needed the cabin. No doctor intervention needed, they trusted me.

Princess wanted to know if I knew how to handle my oxygen myself. DUH. I don't have a nurse/companion with me.

I resent Princess' form, because it means I have to make a specific trip to the doctor's office every time I want to book a trip. I booked a back to back, and since it is two confirmation numbers, I had to have the doctor fill out two forms.

Yet and still, this prevents, or should prevent, AB from reserving HC cabins. If only the same could be said for our community center's auditorium...

M.

I recently made two reservations, one with Princess and one with HAL. Both required a verification letter. I will have a scooter and use a Portable Oxygen Compressor.

Princess wanted my doctor to fill out a detailed sheet, with diagnosis, meds, and where by birthmark was;)

HAL wanted me to fill out a simpler form explaining why I needed the cabin. No doctor intervention needed, they trusted me.

Princess wanted to know if I knew how to handle my oxygen myself. DUH. I don't have a nurse/companion with me.

I resent Princess' form, because it means I have to make a specific trip to the doctor's office every time I want to book a trip. I booked a back to back, and since it is two confirmation numbers, I had to have the doctor fill out two forms.

Yet and still, this prevents, or should prevent, AB from reserving HC cabins. If only the same could be said for our community center's auditorium...

M.

Hi Mindy97, I apologize if you are offend by what I have to say but, as a HC person who can't cruise without that cabin. I for one have no problem filling out their forms and jumping through their hoops. I get really tired of ABS SNAGGING HC cabins. I will fill out what ever they want if it makes it harder for ABS to get those cabins when someone who needs it can't have it. Alright I'll get off my soapbox now.

Rhonda

I'm not offended. Why would I be? I have no real problem filling out forms. I do think that its much easier if I'm allowed to take charge of the situation myself with the cruiseline, much as I do with the doctor myself. But it's their ball and bat, and if I want to cruise and need that cabin, I'll do whatever they ask. Repeatedly, it seems. I know things can change, but in a back to back cruise situation?

And why pray tell does Princess want you to fax to a long distance number? If you call and ask, they will give you a snail mail address. Why not include it for people who don't have easy access to a fax?

:::sigh::: I guess they just want to make it really difficult so that if I really, really don't need a HC for all the medical equipment I've told them I'm bringing, then I won't fill it out.

M.

• 2 weeks later...
Pardon my stupidity, but what are BHMs, BBWs?

BHM= Big Handsome Men

BBW= Big Beautiful Women

Miss Rabbit,

Just wondering how your cruise went and if you had any problems. You haven't posted on here lately and I would really like to here about your cruise. I hope you had a wonderful time. Let us know when you have a chance.

I just got home Monday night from the B2B cruise. Still trying to adjust to the 3 hour time difference and the fact that i'm not getting up at 5am EST (2am my time) anymore like i was on the cruise!

I haven't even written up my review of the cruise yet! such a slacker!

To answer your question, we did have a wonderful time. In fact, it was our best cruise yet. We did run into several accessible issues which i'll explain below, but just wanted to preface this with saying that i had a fantastic time.

Accessibility with the airlines: There weren't any for the most part. They were all wonderful and helpful. On the way there though, my gate got changed during a layover which put the new gate way at the other end of the terminal. Thankfully, one of those golf cart thingies happened by and we hitched a ride. I never would have been able to walk there in time if i hadn't.

I did have a hiccup on our way home with Delta. For some reason, they couldn't print off boarding passes for my 2nd seat. I had to wait until about an hour before boarding and have the gate agent print off a boarding pass. Until i got that boarding pass for the 2nd seat in my hands, i was a nervous wreck. The flights were overbooked and all the unclaimed seats were being snatched up by standby passengers. I did have a laugh when she asked if i bought 2 seats for me. I said yes..one for each cheek. I was assured that since i'd paid for the ticket, they would not give the seat away to anyone else. Eventually, i did get the boarding pass, much to my relief.

Accessibility on the cruise ship itself: Most of you know I picked the Pearl because she had so many places that were accessible (ie: no arms on chairs or sofas available). The main issue I was working with the Accessibility Department with was seating in the Stardust Theatre. I had met with Charlin, who is in charge of that and she said she'd arrange chairs to be placed before the show i wanted.

The first night was a disaster. The people she got to do it, provided a flimsy foldable chair. I had to laugh at that. So we called her on the phone and she came down to meet us. She asked her staff to go bring down chairs from Spinnaker's lounge for us. They took forever and when they finally showed up, i was mortified. They were hauling a friggen SOFA into the theatre for me. I was so embarassed but thankfully the show had started by then and the theatre was somewhat darkened.

Charlin assured me that there would be chairs the next night and that they misunderstood her. I must say, I got to know CHarlin very well over the next 2 weeks and she is a total sweetheart. She did everything in her power to help me. The next night, no chairs. Nor the night after that. Eventually, we did get chairs which allowed us to enjoy the shows from then on out. So while it was a pain, things did eventually get resolved.

I asked our cabin steward to bring a pool deck lounger onto our balcony so i could sit down and he did it no problem. It was very nice to be able to join my husband on the balcony for hot chocolate, croissants and beautiful sunrises.

We were in a Wheelchair accessible cabin, which allowed me to have full function of the washrooms. I had gathered from the photos of the regular cabins that i wouldn't have room to use the bathroom in them. I had a chance to see them for myself on the ship and i was right. It would have been impossible for me to use a non-accessible cabin. I simply would not have been able to cruise. It was my first time using an accessible cabin as in the past, the other ships have not had this issue. I had felt bad for taking one, but i truly did need it as much as anyone as i would not be able to use a regular cabin, period. The only other option was to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed in the dark, go up several decks, to use a public restroom, every time i needed to and hope i had time to do so, which really wasn't an option. After seeing the regular cabins' bathrooms, i knew having an accessible cabin was the only way i would be able to cruise. In the future, if the regular cabins have an appropriate setup in the bathroom, i will go back to using them.

Overall, i didn't have many issues onboard as the Pearl had so many non-armed chair/sofa options all over the ship. It was a little difficult finding spots to sit in the buffet as it was usually crowded and the bench seating was very limited, but we worked with it and did ok.

Accessibility with Shore Excursions - The staff running the excursions were very helpful in lending you a hand getting in and out of boats. They did this with everyone though but i did notice they tried to make it easier for me. I know myself better though so i refused some of their suggestions for entry and figured out the best way for me. Getting in and out of tenders/boats mainly required timing with the bobbing of the boat so you didn't have such a big climb or drop onto the deck.

The only time i had a real issue was for our excursion to The Baths in Tortola. i was assured by the owner that their boat had angled stairs going into the water for access. I showed up to the dock and since there was such a small group, he switched to a dinky little boat with a miniscule pool ladder hanging down from the dive platform off the back of the boat. THey assured me i would have no problem even though i knew better.

So i went on the excursion which was a mistake. Once we got to the baths, we were all set to lounge around the beach and peek in on a bit of the baths themselves, to the extent i could. THis had also been pre-arranged with the owner as the tour included a guided tour through the baths, which we would not be able to participate in. He said we could remain at the beach. NOPE! the guide refused to let us remain behind. He held up the rest of the group while we slowly picked our way through the Baths. I told him that i knew there were tight spaces in the Baths that i could not physically get through and he assured me he'd seen people of all sizes do it.

I was so frustrated and angry. I felt bad, and embarassed, that i was holding up the rest of the group (all CC folks from the roll call). It was hot, i could feel that my BP was through the roof and no way would i be able to climb and crawl and squeeze through the Baths but he refused to leave us behind. So, off i went, crawling on sand strewn platforms, struggling over boulders and bruising myself to no end. I will say though, fat squishes nicely so i was able to get through the tight spots. But it was so very painful to crawl on my knees and climb over the boulders, that i will never ever go back. I still don't know how i found it in myself to get through it. I was shaking uncontrollably by the time i finished. Between the heat, spiking BP and not having had anything to eat for a while (i'm diabetic), i knew i was in trouble. My husband sat me down on a big boulder and gave me half a granola bar and lots of water. That did the trick.

A few hours later, we had to snorkle back out to the boat. It was a pain to get back in the boat once i got out of the water enough that my naturual bouyancy stopped helping. If i hadn't just felt like i'd climbed Mt. Everest, i probably wouldn't have done it. But after going through what i'd just done and come out the other side alive, i felt like i could do anything.

Rest of cruise - my fibro did act up a bit, but it was nothing compared to the pain in my feet. I thought with all that walking, the fibro would be worse but it wasn't. Thankfully i had a wonderful husband who rubbed my feet as often as possible to get me through it.

I didn't wear any of my tank tops though as i just didn't feel comfortable walking around the ship with my upper arms flappin. But i did wear my swimsuit and shorts whenever i was in the pool or at the beach with a t-shirt over top when i was out of the water. I was uncomfortable at first, but then figured 'who cares' and tried to ignore the stares.

Overall, by the time the cruise was nearing a close, i was ready to go home. I still have bruises on my shins from the Baths (Nov 4th) and on just about every other surface of my body, but they are slowly going away.

That being all said, i had an absolutely fantastic time. Yes there were issues that arose, but I tried to go with the flow and work through them. In the end, it all worked out. As long as you plan ahead and make sure that there are enough accessible parts of the ship for you, you should have just as much of a blast as I did.

Edited by MissRabbit