bigger passenger

closure

my hubby is a big guy too and you have answered almost all my questions about access. We had bought camping type chairs that fold and come in a carry bag with a strap. I almost want to bring it so hubby can enjoy the balcony and have fun on shore and relax in his chair. How are the chairs on the balcony?

Can I check the chair like waters or would we have to carry it on? :rolleyes:

Well, you can check flats of soda and water with your luggage so i'm assuming you could probably check your chairs too, as long as it has your cabin number labelled on it. That being said, you probably would want to double check with the cruise line.

Most chairs (i think all, actually) on the balconies have arms on them. Sometimes the desk chair inside your cabin doesn't, so there's the option of bringing that one outside. I'm going to be asking our cabin steward to bring one of the outer deck loungers (with no arms) onto our balcony so i can relax there while hubby sits in the chair provided,.

As for onshore, you might want to bring your chairs for that too. We have little folding beach chairs we're bringing. They keep you a few inches off the sand and have no arms on them. Saves having to worry about seating at the beach as, again, most loungers have arms on them or if they don't, are made of that molded plastic that might not hold up.

I don't go looking for trouble and heck I'm on holiday so no I don't, but sometimes people are so rude it literally takes my breath away. I'm also vocal about able bodied people parking in disabled spots, you betcha.

Too many people turn a blind eye, mainly I would guess out of fear. That's ok I've grown a pair (lol at that visual) for everyone who is not as confident as me.

Even when I was very slim I NEVER ever thought about being peurile and rude to anybody else, it just never entered my head. What planet do these bullies live on?

Get to know me and you'll see I'm not awful, honest ;)

They keep you a few inches off the sand and have no arms on them

now I wouldn't be able to get out of those without help. A sand chair? Roll out of it?:eek:

we'd look like beached whales!;)

Ok, a question for you lovely big beautiful women. Do you find that because we have to wear larger size clothes, we end up having to pack our clothing into either a very large suitcase or two ? The other issue with this...I usually end up over my weight limit. It just is NOT fair !

So how do you solve this dilemma ? My next trip is going to be a 12 night cruise plus 3-4 stay before cruise days ! Hubby is already worrying about the amount of luggage..tee hee. I do believe I will have to forsake some fun time to do laundry and or budget for additional cost and put out laundry to be done ! I have not yet cruised enough for the free laundry !!

My other question.....has anyone cruised Hawaii before and do they sell 4X MuMu's ?

They keep you a few inches off the sand and have no arms on them

now I wouldn't be able to get out of those without help. A sand chair? Roll out of it?:eek:

we'd look like beached whales!;)

lolol. instant solution, have hubby dig a hole in the sand in front to A)keep our feet cool and B) get me closer to the chair so i can sit down without pancaking the chair.

Ok, a question for you lovely big beautiful women. Do you find that because we have to wear larger size clothes, we end up having to pack our clothing into either a very large suitcase or two ? The other issue with this...I usually end up over my weight limit. It just is NOT fair !

So how do you solve this dilemma ? ?

I figure ppl will be staring at me and not at the clothes i'm wearing, so i don't bring a change of clothes for every day of the trip. That's what a sink, laundry detergent and that flimsy string in the shower is for.

Most of my clothes i get from a place online that makes their clothes out of rayon or super light airy cotton. It makes it so the extra material doesn't really add up to much more weight.

As for Hawaii, just looking at many Hawaii'ans Tongan/Maori folks, quite a few tend to be a bit on the larger side.. so i would hope that you would be able to find hawaiian mumus in your size.

So how do you solve this dilemma ? My next trip is going to be a 12 night cruise plus 3-4 stay before cruise days ! Hubby is already worrying about the amount of luggage..tee hee. I do believe I will have to forsake some fun time to do laundry and or budget for additional cost and put out laundry to be done ! I have not yet cruised enough for the free laundry !!

My other question.....has anyone cruised Hawaii before and do they sell 4X MuMu's ?

Being one of those women you so lovely describe, I actualy find packing very easy. Probably becuase I traveled 28 weeks a year internationally for work and had to learn how to pack efficiently . I generally use only a 22" carryon and a tote. And yes I dress up for Formal nights. Any laundry is usually only to hand wash undergarments if needed. The trick is to bring clothing that is interchangable and that can be dressed up or down . My rules for me are :

• Every item must be able to be worn with at least with 2 other items . Only exception is my formal outfit... which by the way I wear the same thing both nights with different accessories.
  • What I wear on the plane there is what gets worn home.
  • What I wear for Causal night dinners is what gets worn the next day in port.
  • Everything does double duty or it doesn't get packed. I pack in layers and roll items.
  • Only bring 3 pairs of shoes. 1 Dress, 1 comfortable walking shoe for tours and 1 comfortable flat that can be worn both casual or dress. One pair is worn on the plane and 2 get packed. I use every inch of packing space , even stuffing things in the shoes.

My friend that cruises with me is amazed at how I pack. She calls my packing a magic act as I keep pulling things out and don't even wear some of it. BTW she's very tiny and brings 2 pieces of luggage.

Re: Hawaii - you won't have any problem getting MuMu's your size. Or any other clothing for that matter.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My rules for me are :

• Everything does double duty or it doesn't get packed. I pack in layers and roll items.

Absolutely! And since you are going to a warm climate ... sweaters, jeans, jackets, and other bulky items are definately a no no. If you have to have a sweater or wrap, carry it on the plane with you.

• Only bring 3 pairs of shoes. 1 Dress, 1 comfortable walking shoe for tours and 1 comfortable flat that can be worn both casual or dress. One pair is worn on the plane and 2 get packed. I use every inch of packing space , even stuffing things in the shoes.

Really, it's usually the shoes that do us in (at least for me). When I travel for work I plan my wardrobe so that I only wear one color of dress shoes all week and then pack a pair of casual/tennis shoes. Flip flops hardly take up any space, so pack those and wear your more casual shoes (heavier and bulkier) on the plane.

And whatever you do, have a FANTASTIC cruise!!

Edited by Schoifmom

Good thread! You are all my role models! I just go with the idea that I don't know these people, I am not going to see them again, and I am going to enjoy my vacation.

xxoocruiser Wow! I just copied your packing rules on my packing list page. Maybe I can rethink a few items. LOL

Tmrlovesjr Congrats! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I have been working on it since November and doing well but it sure to nice to know that it CAN be done! Well done.

MissRabbit I have liked and laughed at many of your comments. When you said Kiwi-I thought you meant the bird. Both are unique and special.

Gairy Fodmother I love the t shirt idea! going to that sight when I sign off.

Good thread! You are all my role models! I just go with the idea that I don't know these people, I am not going to see them again, and I am going to enjoy my vacation.

xxoocruiser Wow! I just copied your packing rules on my packing list page. Maybe I can rethink a few items. LOL

Tmrlovesjr Congrats! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I have been working on it since November and doing well but it sure to nice to know that it CAN be done! Well done.

MissRabbit I have liked and laughed at many of your comments. When you said Kiwi-I thought you meant the bird. Both are unique and special.

Gairy Fodmother I love the t shirt idea! going to that sight when I sign off.

Good luck with your packing.

Another little tip I want to pass along is about laundry. I never pack laundry detergent or buy it on the cruise. Shampoo and Hair Conditioner also do double duty. Hair conditioner works on the same principle as fabric softner. No more than a dimes worth in a sink does the trick. Shampoo works nicely on simple stains.

Good job you said no more than a dimes worth because I would have put in the standard amount, and had bubbles coming out of the cabin for the whole of the cruise.

LOLOL. That reminds me of the time i used the jetted tub at my step-monster's house when she was out. She likes to take bubble baths and doesn't ever use the jets. Little did i know, that all those bubble baths caused major buildup of the soap in the jet cavities. I turned on the water and the jets and left the room to undress. Came back a few minutes later to a literal volcano of bubbles cascading over the side of the tub and onto the floor!

Here i was, scooping up armfuls of bubbles, dumping them into the two sinks, running water to try flushing the bubbles down the drain to make room for the next armful. It took forever to flush the bubbles out of the bathtub's jet system. Needless to say, by the time i was done, i was too pooped to take a bath (and too covered head to toe in bubbles) so i just quickly showered and went to bed.

LOLOL. That reminds me of the time i used the jetted tub at my step-monster's house when she was out. She likes to take bubble baths and doesn't ever use the jets. Little did i know, that all those bubble baths caused major buildup of the soap in the jet cavities. I turned on the water and the jets and left the room to undress. Came back a few minutes later to a literal volcano of bubbles cascading over the side of the tub and onto the floor!

Here i was, scooping up armfuls of bubbles, dumping them into the two sinks, running water to try flushing the bubbles down the drain to make room for the next armful. It took forever to flush the bubbles out of the bathtub's jet system. Needless to say, by the time i was done, i was too pooped to take a bath (and too covered head to toe in bubbles) so i just quickly showered and went to bed.

I stayed at a hotel and did that some body wash. The tub had an enclosure thank goodness so bubbles didn't get on the floor, but I was trying to shut it off, it had auto timer, I was like what the heck is going on! Rookie spa tub users!:p

Ungh.. we've been trying to book flights today. We've been on the phone with Delta Airlines and American Airlines for 2.5 hours now, trying to get information on our particular flights about which rows have movable armrests (both between the seats and the aisle armrest).

For Delta, the answer was that there are at least 2 seats that have a movable aisle armrest, don't know about moving between the seats AND they can't tell us *where* those seats on the plane are. But that at the friggen airport, they'll be able to accommodate us. We are NOT going to wait to the airport to try and arrange (and rearrange) the passengers on the flight to accommodate us *if* there are indeed actually movable armrests.

For American Airlines, they finally gave us a list of aisle armrests that move but then rudely told us that all this info can be found on their website and we should go there. So we did and what they list on the website are completely different aisle armrests and say nothing about the armrests between the seats.

soooo we're currently on hold with American Airlines *again* hopefully getting clarification on this conflicting information.

If y'all can, fly continental. it's soooo easy with them

Ungh.. we've been trying to book flights today. We've been on the phone with Delta Airlines and American Airlines for 2.5 hours now, trying to get information on our particular flights about which rows have movable armrests (both between the seats and the aisle armrest).

For Delta, the answer was that there are at least 2 seats that have a movable aisle armrest, don't know about moving between the seats AND they can't tell us *where* those seats on the plane are. But that at the friggen airport, they'll be able to accommodate us. We are NOT going to wait to the airport to try and arrange (and rearrange) the passengers on the flight to accommodate us *if* there are indeed actually movable armrests.

For American Airlines, they finally gave us a list of aisle armrests that move but then rudely told us that all this info can be found on their website and we should go there. So we did and what they list on the website are completely different aisle armrests and say nothing about the armrests between the seats.

soooo we're currently on hold with American Airlines *again* hopefully getting clarification on this conflicting information.

Try Seat Guru

Try Seat Guru

seat guru doesn't list the ones with movable armrest. also when there are 6 different versions of a 757, it's impossible to know which configuration to use. We did have it up and were using it as much as we could, but it was mostly helpful for what seats had the best reviews/poor reviews.

We did end up getting a great agent at American Airlines that helped us out tremendously. Sooo, Delta's off the list, AA is still on it and of course, Continental, although that one is the pricier of the options.

i'm gonna go chill for a while and de-vent. It is such a PITA to book flights :(

Oh my gosh I feel your pain! We called Southwest to set up 3 seats for our Oct. cruise. The agent was friendly, but she was like "Why do you need 3 seats for two people?" I stated "comfort" and her reply was that that wasn't an allowed reason to purchase an extra seat... and then she went on to ratttle off about 20 reasons that would be ok... wedding dress, musical instrument (she listed 5 different ones in case I wasn't sure what an instrument might be... yikes.), medical device, etc, etc. At that point I was mortified and told her I had to go. DH called back and was like "I'm a big guy and need 2 seats." Then there was no problem. (I just couldn't bring myself to say that.. what a great hubby!)

FYI you can purchase extra seats online from Southwest by purchasing a second seat in your name followed by XS (example: Mary Smith XS). And all of their arms go up. :-)

Oh my gosh I feel your pain! We called Southwest to set up 3 seats for our Oct. cruise. The agent was friendly, but she was like "Why do you need 3 seats for two people?" I stated "comfort" and her reply was that that wasn't an allowed reason to purchase an extra seat... and then she went on to ratttle off about 20 reasons that would be ok... wedding dress, musical instrument (she listed 5 different ones in case I wasn't sure what an instrument might be... yikes.), medical device, etc, etc. At that point I was mortified and told her I had to go. DH called back and was like "I'm a big guy and need 2 seats." Then there was no problem. (I just couldn't bring myself to say that.. what a great hubby!)

FYI you can purchase extra seats online from Southwest by purchasing a second seat in your name followed by XS (example: Mary Smith XS). And all of their arms go up. :-)

Thank you for that tip!!!! I was wondering how you could do that online!

I have been following this thread as hubby and I are not the skinniest people in the world and have a question about the removeable arm rest we are flying air Canada in Sept and both have aisle seats with removable armrest do you ask them to have them removed before you board or is this something you can easily do your self we can never figure how to do it ourselves

Pam

When my husband and I travel we always get 3 seats. I have been nervous to try Southwest because I once had an agent tell me that since they don't assign seats, they couldn't guarantee 3 seats together. She said that my husband and I would both have to purchase an extra seat since we are large people. However, I have a friend who recently flew Southwest and she paid an extra $10 to be in the first seating group. Her and her hubby were able to get 3 seats together with no problem. So I may actually try Southwest now. Their other perks (lower fares and no luggage fees) make it worth at least trying!!

I have been following this thread as hubby and I are not the skinniest people in the world and have a question about the removeable arm rest we are flying air Canada in Sept and both have aisle seats with removable armrest do you ask them to have them removed before you board or is this something you can easily do your self we can never figure how to do it ourselves

Pam

The armrests aren't removable, just movable. they lift up out of the way. You may want to ask an Air Canada representative on how to lift them. I know on some airlines (Continental, NWA) the armrests just lift. On other airlines, (Delta is one) the few aisle armrests that *do* lift, are tricky to do. You have to reach underneath the arm where it attaches to the back of the seat and pull a little lever while lifting. I know i was on one airline years ago (can't remember the name) where it took me halfway through the flight before i figured out how to lift the aisle armrest lolol.

Almost all the armrests between the seats (in the row) will lift with no problem. Usually only the bulkhead rows, the exit rows and sometimes the very back row, will have fixed armrests. But on some older planes, even the armrests between seats don't move. So it's always a good rule of thumb to call the airline and confirm. Nothing more embarassing than showing up and not being able to sit where you were assigned. That's why i won't fly Delta this time cause they can't tell me *where* the seats with the movable aisle armrests are. Sure, i can maybe crawl over the aisle armrest but it'll be about as graceful as a newborn giraffe trying to walk.

When my husband and I travel we always get 3 seats. I have been nervous to try Southwest because I once had an agent tell me that since they don't assign seats, they couldn't guarantee 3 seats together. She said that my husband and I would both have to purchase an extra seat since we are large people. However, I have a friend who recently flew Southwest and she paid an extra $10 to be in the first seating group. Her and her hubby were able to get 3 seats together with no problem. So I may actually try Southwest now. Their other perks (lower fares and no luggage fees) make it worth at least trying!!

I was worried about that too. But we were told that with the extra seat we get to board first, as a family. :) We've always done the A boarding group... but our last few flights have been packed, so and even though we got the seats that we wanted (and that are together) were were still squished like sardines! :p

The armrests aren't removable, just movable. they lift up out of the way. You may want to ask an Air Canada representative on how to lift them. I know on some airlines (Continental, NWA) the armrests just lift. On other airlines, (Delta is one) the few aisle armrests that *do* lift, are tricky to do. You have to reach underneath the arm where it attaches to the back of the seat and pull a little lever while lifting. I know i was on one airline years ago (can't remember the name) where it took me halfway through the flight before i figured out how to lift the aisle armrest lolol.

Almost all the armrests between the seats (in the row) will lift with no problem. Usually only the bulkhead rows, the exit rows and sometimes the very back row, will have fixed armrests. But on some older planes, even the armrests between seats don't move. So it's always a good rule of thumb to call the airline and confirm. Nothing more embarassing than showing up and not being able to sit where you were assigned. That's why i won't fly Delta this time cause they can't tell me *where* the seats with the movable aisle armrests are. Sure, i can maybe crawl over the aisle armrest but it'll be about as graceful as a newborn giraffe trying to walk.

Thanks will ask them how to life them up:)