bigger passenger

closure

Hey everyone! :)

I went to the WLS seminar today. It was informative and I already have my first appt with the surgeon on Oct 7th. My hubby was worried of the financial costs, but with the insurance it looks like it will be minimal. :) So, I figure if all goes well with the pre op testing, I will be getting it at the beginning of the year! Wish me luck! ;)

That's awesome Love, I wish you so much luck. I know what a rough road this can be. You'll have to add me on fb, just send a message to my yahoo and i'll give you my name. <hugs> you're gonna do great!!

He might be required to purchase 2 seats if they even will let him go.

He WILL be required to purchase 2 seats, since he is the size of two people. Specifically, the weight limits I have seen are maximum 250 lbs per person. Over that one is charged double.

But you are right that they might not allow him anyway. It's not just the weight, but the seat sizes and weight distribution on the small planes.

Edited by gillianrose

I have been on several cruises where armed chairs are in the MDR. They have always had a few without arms. There may be some ships that do not, but I have not encountered any. I speak to the Maitre'D after boarding and give them my table number and request an armless chair. Usually it is at the table when I go to my assigned seating. If someone else is already sitting in it, I explain that I requested that specific chair. If the chair is not there, I speak with the waiter and wait for one to be brought for me. After that first night, it is always there and the rest of the table knows it is for me. Never had a problem.

If I go to open seating breakfast or lunch, I request a table with an armless chair or the waiter brings one to whichever table they seat me at.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Lesa

Thank you Lesa. I would have a hard time explaining to anyone who sat in that seat, why they had to move. Not like it wouldn't be obvious, but you know how people don't like to move out of seats they've taken lol.

It at least gives me the possibility of going on more than just a handful of ships.

That's awesome Love, I wish you so much luck. I know what a rough road this can be. You'll have to add me on fb, just send a message to my yahoo and i'll give you my name. <hugs> you're gonna do great!!

Yes! I am a FB addict. You can find me under my email address. It's my username here @yahoo.com. If you send me a message when adding me letting me know you are from here, I will add you. :)

Yes! I am a FB addict. You can find me under my email address. It's my username here @yahoo.com. If you send me a message when adding me letting me know you are from here, I will add you. :)

Ok I sent it but it didnt let me send the message at the same time, but you have a message as well :-)

You may have read more into my post than I meant. I do not ask anyone to move, I have once out of 8 cruises with armed chairs found that someone had sat in my requested armless chair. When I mention that I had requested armless the person immediately moved to another chair. If there had been any indication that the person did not wish to move, I would have asked the waiter if another armless could be brought. That was my backup plan. I have never had to resort to it. Now I will add that I always try on the first night to be one of the first to arrive at the table so that any awkwardness be avoided.

Lesa

You may have read more into my post than I meant. I do not ask anyone to move, I have once out of 8 cruises with armed chairs found that someone had sat in my requested armless chair. When I mention that I had requested armless the person immediately moved to another chair. If there had been any indication that the person did not wish to move, I would have asked the waiter if another armless could be brought. That was my backup plan. I have never had to resort to it. Now I will add that I always try on the first night to be one of the first to arrive at the table so that any awkwardness be avoided.

Lesa

I don't think you should have mentioned anything to anyone at the table about your standing request for an armless chair. Obviously there were both types of chairs at the table and the other person wanted to sit in the armless chair. I think you should have quietly mentioned it only to one of the waiters or other service staff so that they could bring another armless chair.

Edited by gillianrose

I don't think you should have mentioned anything to anyone at the table about your standing request for an armless chair. Obviously there were both types of chairs at the table and the other person wanted to sit in the armless chair. I think you should have quietly mentioned it only to one of the waiters or other service staff so that they could bring another armless chair.

I am sorry to disagree with this approach. As larger size women we often are expected to be docile. I think most people expect women to be more docile than men but thats my opinion. I would have said excuse me your in my seat and smiled. YOu can not have what you do not ask for.

• 3 weeks later...
I am sorry to disagree with this approach. As larger size women we often are expected to be docile. I think most people expect women to be more docile than men but thats my opinion. I would have said excuse me your in my seat and smiled. YOu can not have what you do not ask for.

I didn't realize you had bought the seat and brought it aboard with you.

I didn't realize you had bought the seat and brought it aboard with you.

If she had specifically requested that seat to be placed at the table for her, then yes, it is hers. It's like ordering food at McDonalds then having someone else pick up your order. Whether they accidentally picked up your order or purposely chose to take it, it's still your order. You wouldn't say "that's ok, i'll just order a new one."

Edited by MissRabbit

Good day all!!! Miss Rabbit I have missed your upbeat messages. I sailed on the NCL Dawn in Feb and loved every minute of it. I wanted to pass on a few experiences of mine that might help all the flufflies out there!!!

--- We booked a HC room and then promptly met up with some other people in a "reg" cabin. Thank goodness we booked HC. I would not have had a good trip at all in those bathrooms. (I am so excited by the new Breakaway ship, the reg bathrooms look awesome, thinking of booking for 2013!!!)

---- There was much walking on the ship due to the layout but I am quite able in the respect so it wasn't too bad. I don't think we ran into one restaurant that had arms. Wait there may have been one, but I just quietly asked for a chair without and viola, my wish was their command. If they were thinking anything bad, it certainly didn't show!!

--- The only tender stop at Dom. Reb I wasn't feeling too well and didn't make it, however, my friend said it was no problem. Small step and the staff was wonderful.

--- I flew from Vancouver to Orlando on Alaska airlines. I purchased an extra seat. (made my friend happy, she had sleeping room!!) I was very grateful I did this. It would have been a nightmare. I am an true blue pear shape and the seats would just not have fit. ****one special note, when you are flying with an extra seat be sure to make a point to tell the person working at the actual check in gate***** They sometime assume there is a spare seat because the body count doesn't match. I made sure to let them know and never had a problem. I have to say the people working with Alaska Airlines were FRICKIN FANTASTIC!! I though perhaps it was just one gate but we boarded and went on 4 different planes and each time they were professional and very courteous. Again if they were thinking anything else they didn't show it.

--- On the note about the extra seat policy. I know that for some it is an added expense that is very difficult to swallow but here's some tips that might help.

--- if you live in Canada, Air Canada has a seat policy that if you go to the doctor and get a form filled out you can get an extra seat for free anywhere in Canada. It is a bit more difficult in the states (hence why we fly AA) but possible as well. Amazed at how many people may not know that.

---- Also I paid quite a bit for my extra seats on AA but felt it was necc. and I am blessed to be able to afford it. But as a bonus.... when I got home I sent in the paperwork with all the details they asked for in a very nicely worded email as per their policy and voila.... 2 weeks later I was refunded the full fair of my US flights for my extra seats. They will do this if there is only 1 unsold seat on the plane. I was amazed and very grateful to have over 800.00 back!!!!!

I guess the best I can tell is do the homework. Get the airlines policies and don't be afraid to ask extra questions. Dig dig dig. It certainly paid off for me and I enjoyed my whole trip!!!

Let me know if there is anything else that I can tell you!!!

Take care all

Nicole

Good day all!!! Miss Rabbit I have missed your upbeat messages. I sailed on the NCL Dawn in Feb and loved every minute of it. I wanted to pass on a few experiences of mine that might help all the flufflies out there!!!

--- We booked a HC room and then promptly met up with some other people in a "reg" cabin. Thank goodness we booked HC. I would not have had a good trip at all in those bathrooms. (I am so excited by the new Breakaway ship, the reg bathrooms look awesome, thinking of booking for 2013!!!)

---- There was much walking on the ship due to the layout but I am quite able in the respect so it wasn't too bad. I don't think we ran into one restaurant that had arms. Wait there may have been one, but I just quietly asked for a chair without and viola, my wish was their command. If they were thinking anything bad, it certainly didn't show!!

--- The only tender stop at Dom. Reb I wasn't feeling too well and didn't make it, however, my friend said it was no problem. Small step and the staff was wonderful.

--- I flew from Vancouver to Orlando on Alaska airlines. I purchased an extra seat. (made my friend happy, she had sleeping room!!) I was very grateful I did this. It would have been a nightmare. I am an true blue pear shape and the seats would just not have fit. ****one special note, when you are flying with an extra seat be sure to make a point to tell the person working at the actual check in gate***** They sometime assume there is a spare seat because the body count doesn't match. I made sure to let them know and never had a problem. I have to say the people working with Alaska Airlines were FRICKIN FANTASTIC!! I though perhaps it was just one gate but we boarded and went on 4 different planes and each time they were professional and very courteous. Again if they were thinking anything else they didn't show it.

--- On the note about the extra seat policy. I know that for some it is an added expense that is very difficult to swallow but here's some tips that might help.

--- if you live in Canada, Air Canada has a seat policy that if you go to the doctor and get a form filled out you can get an extra seat for free anywhere in Canada. It is a bit more difficult in the states (hence why we fly AA) but possible as well. Amazed at how many people may not know that.

---- Also I paid quite a bit for my extra seats on AA but felt it was necc. and I am blessed to be able to afford it. But as a bonus.... when I got home I sent in the paperwork with all the details they asked for in a very nicely worded email as per their policy and voila.... 2 weeks later I was refunded the full fair of my US flights for my extra seats. They will do this if there is only 1 unsold seat on the plane. I was amazed and very grateful to have over 800.00 back!!!!!

I guess the best I can tell is do the homework. Get the airlines policies and don't be afraid to ask extra questions. Dig dig dig. It certainly paid off for me and I enjoyed my whole trip!!!

Take care all

Nicole

Glad to hear that everything worked out OK for you.

However regarding the refunding of the extra seat ticket your post is somewhat confusing. You state early in your post that you flew Alaska Airlines but later in your post mention AA which is American Airlines. The code for Alaska Airlines is AS so which airlines actually refunded the cost of the extra seat ?

Also is it that specific's airline's policy to always refund the cost of the extra seat ? Or was it refunded because the flight did not fly full? FYI most airlines will refund the cost of the extra seat if the plane did not fly full not just AS or AA.

If she had specifically requested that seat to be placed at the table for her, then yes, it is hers. It's like ordering food at McDonalds then having someone else pick up your order. Whether they accidentally picked up your order or purposely chose to take it, it's still your order. You wouldn't say "that's ok, i'll just order a new one."

Thank you miss rabbit that is how i meant that. Lets face it everyone is going to look at a larger person its the way you act and carry yourself that make people think hummm more to them than a fat girl.

Glad to hear that everything worked out OK for you.

However regarding the refunding of the extra seat ticket your post is somewhat confusing. You state early in your post that you flew Alaska Airlines but later in your post mention AA which is American Airlines. The code for Alaska Airlines is AS so which airlines actually refunded the cost of the extra seat ?

Also is it that specific's airline's policy to always refund the cost of the extra seat ? Or was it refunded because the flight did not fly full? FYI most airlines will refund the cost of the extra seat if the plane did not fly full not just AS or AA.

Sorry about the confusion!! Shouldn't type this late at night. I was flying Alaska Airlines. The airline's policy is to refund the cost of the seat if the plane is not full. However, I had heard nightmares about actually getting the money back. I was simply letting you all know that they were very good about it and very professional when dealing with.

:)

Take care all

Nicole

Sorry my posts of late in this forum haven't been so upbeat as they usually are. I don't rollover and take it anymore so in times like this, i will get feisty and stick up for what i believe in. I will try, in the future, to be more upbeat again.

Glad you had a fantastic time on the Dawn. I thought I had to stick with the Jewel Class on NCL, so it's great to hear that the Dawn had many locations with armless chairs. I will do a little more research on her next time i'm looking at NCL.

We've been to the Dominican Republic and yes, the tender was easy peasy. We were battling a hurricane so it was iffy if they'd be able to tender at all. Even in those rocking waves, it was easy enough to get in and out of the tender if you just paid attention and timed your step from platform to tender.

As for the airlines, this is why i'm so grateful to be able to fly Alaska Airlines from Seattle. Knowing that i can get a refund on my 2nd seat if the flight doesn't fly full, is awesome. THere's only been one time that it hasnt' flown full, and it was a super cheap flight so i didn't bother with all the paperwork. But it's there if you need it. I have found Alaska and COntinental are great when it comes to how they treat you at the gate/on flight etc.

What is this Breakaway ship you speak of? I think i'm going to have to hit up google!

btw, we have the same name :)

What is this Breakaway ship you speak of? I think i'm going to have to hit up google!

:)

The Breakaway Project is the new class of NCL ships . The first of which is to debut in 2013 and second in 2014. Here's the link to more information. From the pictures the showers for all cabins, not just HC cabins, appear to have been redesigned with less obtractions. http://www2.ncl.com/project-breakaway/overview

Edited by xxoocruiser

btw, we have the same name :)

Well the name explains the excellent taste!!!! ;) I don't blame you for the rolling over and taking it part. I don't either!!! :) If you need back up you just let me know!!!!

Ah the Breakaway, you can check it out on NCL it's one of their new ships. I have been checking it closely after a friend pointed out that they may have finally figuired out that "water closets" are so severly outdated. I mean even my skinny travel partner was horrified at the size of the reg. cabin bathrooms. It's just not nice, esp if travelling with a friend that it's not nice to leave the door open!!! You can check it all out. Seems quite nice.

I didn't use all the money I saved for about 14 years on my last holiday and I am seriously thinking about going all out and booking a room with access to The Haven. (private courtyard) I figuire why the heck not!!!!

Of course I just need to make a decision of some sort, seems like I want to go and do everything!!!!!!!! :D

The Haven looks wonderful. Kind of a mix of the Courtyard on previous ships and the Serenity outdoor area on Carnival.

I looked at the pics and it seems they still have the toilet wedged between the shower wall and the vanity, but it might be doable. we'll see. I was all set to go on Carnival Breeze for my next cruise (after the one i'm on in March), but now this is tempting me back to NCL>

The Haven looks wonderful. Kind of a mix of the Courtyard on previous ships and the Serenity outdoor area on Carnival.

I looked at the pics and it seems they still have the toilet wedged between the shower wall and the vanity, but it might be doable. we'll see. I was all set to go on Carnival Breeze for my next cruise (after the one i'm on in March), but now this is tempting me back to NCL>

Yes similiar ideas. I just like the idea of it. Not trying to be snooty or anything but I just like the idea of a peaceful place when I pay so much money to get to the ports. Perhaps I'm just getting older!!!;) I sure wish my husband would cruise with me, it would make it so much more fun!! But I have a travel buddy so he can sit home and pout!!

I really should check other lines, but I just love NCL. Perhaps I'll spend some surf time and check it out!!

I wish there was more sailing on the west coast. Not as many places to go I guess but the airfare is really what kills me most of the time. Even to get to Vancouver is major expensive. That's why I'm trying to plan in the spring, I can drive, leave my car at a friends and probably pay for a chunk of my cruise!!!! :)

Yeah i wish there were more west coast cruises, but the only ports are places in Mexico which hold no draw to me. Or Alaska and i've seen enough mountains, glaciers and wildlife to last a lifetime.

We drive down to seattle, park our car at a friend's house and fly from there. It saves us several hundred dollars but even at that, the airfare is almost as much as the cruise itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah i wish there were more west coast cruises, but the only ports are places in Mexico which hold no draw to me. Or Alaska and i've seen enough mountains, glaciers and wildlife to last a lifetime.

We drive down to seattle, park our car at a friend's house and fly from there. It saves us several hundred dollars but even at that, the airfare is almost as much as the cruise itself.

In April of 13, and I am sure other times but I know that one for sure, Princess has a cruise that is going to San Fran, Santa Barbara, Catalina and Ensenada. (They have to throw that Mexico one in there so they go out of the country.) It leaves from either LA and San Diego, can't remember. OH! LA I think as one of the stops is also San Diego.

I am probably going on it with my sisters so that is why I know. Nice to have a little variety anyway!

The Pacific Coastal starts this fall, I think, but I know it goes spring of 2012.

The itinerary is round trip out of San Pedro. Stops are Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Ensenada, and San Diego. It's a seven day cruise and seems to be pretty popular. It's nice to have a different option from the west coast.

I forgot to say that this is a Princess Itinerary............I don't know if any other lines are doing this Coastal.

Edited by DesrtDrmr

Just come back from The Independence Of The Seas cruise round the Canaries and want to reassure POS that this is a brilliant cruise suitable for them and also suitable for disabled.

We had a scooter in our party and had two rooms, neither was a handicapped cabin but I will get to that. For POS and I am one you will be thrilled to know that I only had ONE problem on the ship and that was in the bathroom. I had a balcony cabin so the bathroom was larger than the inside cabin, I know because I looked and was able to see that the bathroom was a tight squeeze but do-able, if you can't afford the upgrade. My problem was with the teeny tiny toilet and the wall being too close in the balcony cabin, so next time I cruise will be in a handicapped cabin.

Now everything else I did NOT have a problem with, my scooter I made sure fitted through the cabin door before I brought it 23 inches and it also went into the inside cabin doorway too and there WAS room for ONE scooter in an inside and room for TWO scooters if need be in the balcony cabin. So if you're ok to use the bathroom in a normal cabin then you won't need a handicapped cabin. We had a shower stool we requested and that was good. I had no problem fitting into the shower and I am a large lady.

This ship is huge and as I understand it is going to be sailing from America during the winter months, so all you American/Canadians will be able to have the joys of this ship coming your way. The corridors are suitable to have scooters two abreast easily. You can access all areas easily the lifts are ample, the Theatre has plenty of space for scooters at the back (same goes for wheelchairs) and they have armless seats at the back, the Ice show was the same, no problems there and the dining rooms mostly had armless chairs that I could see and the buffet dining room also had plenty of armless chairs. You cannot go wrong on this ship.

And for those who like swimming you can access the adult only pool via steps and handrails rather than the other pools that have ladders. But having said that, if you want the laddered pools they also have a hoist if you need it.

Believe me, you have to really try this ship out, it's fantastic for people of size. If I can do it then I know you all can. :D

A cheeky note here: I get my clothes from a UK site called Sixteen47, they ship to US and I get my beachwear from Love Your Peaches. I never have a problem finding swimwear here and get it made longer where I need it. Hope this helps you beautiful souls out there :D

Edited by Gairy Fodmother

Just come back from The Independence Of The Seas cruise round the Canaries and want to reassure POS that this is a brilliant cruise suitable for them and also suitable for disabled.

We had a scooter in our party and had two rooms, neither was a handicapped cabin but I will get to that. For POS and I am one you will be thrilled to know that I only had ONE problem on the ship and that was in the bathroom. I had a balcony cabin so the bathroom was larger than the inside cabin, I know because I looked and was able to see that the bathroom was a tight squeeze but do-able, if you can't afford the upgrade. My problem was with the teeny tiny toilet and the wall being too close in the balcony cabin, so next time I cruise will be in a handicapped cabin.

Now everything else I did NOT have a problem with, my scooter I made sure fitted through the cabin door before I brought it 23 inches and it also went into the inside cabin doorway too and there WAS room for ONE scooter in an inside and room for TWO scooters if need be in the balcony cabin. So if you're ok to use the bathroom in a normal cabin then you won't need a handicapped cabin. We had a shower stool we requested and that was good. I had no problem fitting into the shower and I am a large lady.

This ship is huge and as I understand it is going to be sailing from America during the winter months, so all you American/Canadians will be able to have the joys of this ship coming your way. The corridors are suitable to have scooters two abreast easily. You can access all areas easily the lifts are ample, the Theatre has plenty of space for scooters at the back (same goes for wheelchairs) and they have armless seats at the back, the Ice show was the same, no problems there and the dining rooms mostly had armless chairs that I could see and the buffet dining room also had plenty of armless chairs. You cannot go wrong on this ship.

And for those who like swimming you can access the adult only pool via steps and handrails rather than the other pools that have ladders. But having said that, if you want the laddered pools they also have a hoist if you need it.

Believe me, you have to really try this ship out, it's fantastic for people of size. If I can do it then I know you all can. :D

A cheeky note here: I get my clothes from a UK site called Sixteen47, they ship to US and I get my beachwear from Love Your Peaches. I never have a problem finding swimwear here and get it made longer where I need it. Hope this helps you beautiful souls out there :D

Thanks for the great info!