bigger passenger

closure

There are two suggestions I have for the carts. One is to tell the flight attendant before landing that you need one. They can communicate that information to the gate attendants. Probably about the time that they announce the connecting gates as they approach would be a good time.

If that does not work, tell the gate attendant when you are off the plane. They can probably request one for you at that point.

I hope you have a great time on your Magic cruise, exceeding the only so-so time that I had last November. I will say there are some really nice outdoor seating options available. I look forward to hearing your comments when you return.

I am currently booked on the Disney Magic which will be in Galveston starting in September. I sail in November. Then I plan to book the Princess Lines Crown Princess in January, also out of Galveston. These ships are currently only scheduled for a tryout from that port and I want to take the opportunity to sail on different ships that I do not have to fly to the port to board.

I really want to do the Panama Canal partial transit (do not like to leave my pet too long) and to go back to Alaska, but no one able to go with me this year. Probably will next year.

Bon Voyage,

Lesa

thanks for the great suggestions. Hopefully one of these will work for us as IAH is a really massive airport.

We leave in 1 week from today so i'm so stinkin excited! Lesa, what made it only a so-so time for you on the Magic last November?

Miss Rabbit,

I will say that the Magic is a beautiful ship. I sailed on the inaugural voyage out of Galveston with some friends. This was my 10th cruise overall and my 5th on Carnival, so I do have some experience for comparison. In general the staff onboard appeared to be overworked and stressed. The waiter in the MDR was stretched to the max handling, it appeared, too many tables. Orders were frequently wrong and we could not get a refill of our water or tea glasses.

The food was only ok. I did do the Chef's Table and the food there was outstanding. I prefer not to eat in the buffet area, but did on occasion as my cabin mate preferred that. It was very bland with few choices.

There were a number of passengers onboard that could only be described as rough. I heard quite a bit of profanity and observed more rowdy behaviour than I have on all past cruises put together. This may not be the case on all Magic sailings.

I have sailed on Carnival since, as I was on the Triumph last month. Totally different experience with really classy ship, staff and fellow passengers. Food was better and service could not be faulted. I had sailed the Triumph in the past out of New York and liked it then, and like it out of Galveston as well. My sister traveled with me and she has already rebooked with her husband for a future cruise on the ship.

I do hope you have a wonderful time, and good luck in getting around at the airport.

Lesa

Let me start off by saying i am a 460 lb fat girl. I make no excuses for my size. I also am handicap with severe arthritis,and from bone breakage and hip dislocation in 99. I try to exercise everyday and watch what i eat. So that i can deal with my own life as mobile as possible. I also have thyroid issues and medication does not work in the blink of an eye.

As you all can tell before the cruise i was a nervous wreck. But it was the best vacation we ever had. I am married to a bhm who is 400 lbs has some mobility issues also do to the same car accident.

Any way on the second day we had a private meet and greet arranged by Tammy of cruise critic and we met with several of the officers on board the pearl.

They were lovely. They made it their personal jobs to make sure we were happy. We had sailed on rccl before twice since the accident. I will now sail with ncl. I had booked a inside handicap room. 36 inch doorways and it was huge.

Both my scooter and folding large size chair fit fine we didn't even have to put the luggage under the bed in the room. The only issue with the room was the fold out shower chair and it bent under my weight but my hubby used it fine. I took showers using my wheel chair for support.

The toilet was on the wall but secured better than any other. The public handicap bathrooms all were good size. Occasionally i had to have clothing help from my so so we were in there together. not a comment was made that we over heard.

I did go in my two piece swim suit in the public pool mostly in the late evenings. no comments, the other passengers were lovely about my scooter in the elevator. there is so much armless seating on this ship and its everywhere. I also was on one of the king size beds in the lounge with my so and two friends at white hot nite.

We tendered twice once at cayo which is their island and the cruise director was on board our tender. I did 12 steps down and used my chair. The issue was there are no hard roads their yet so she had the gentleman come from the surf shop in a rv and pick us up and take us to the beach. Then one of the other officers had him do the same so we could get back. I got preferential treatment by going on first on the tender since i was slow and i was allowed to wait at the dock.

the tender officers that worked on the ship got to know me well and were just adorable people.

Evidently Julie the cruise director had talked to several other officers after this and the night before we tendered in Jamaica Jorge who is head of all the restaurants and bars asked me to call him. The morning of the tender i road my scooter which is not a small scooter to the tendering area after meeting Jorge at breakfast and talking to him. Rashima who is head of the group services met me there. The captain informed me that he would be taking my scooter on board when we went and that he would just pull up to the doc which i could board straight to the ship or from land to the top of the ship when i was ready to leave. This could not happen because the dock belonged to another shipping company going to Jamaica but i went down the 16 stairs and the ramp and the captain and first mate and 2 other crew men helped my hubby make sure i was secure stepping off the ship onto the dock. These 4 gentlemen sweetly and calmly assured me they did not mind carrying my scooter down the steps. When we returned both the captain of our tender and his first mate had talked to ncl personal and i was allowed to depart from the dock like he originally wanted. I was watched by all the other passengers and he explained he would be picking me up. When they pulled forward and i rolled on board they all clapped. I am not easily embarrassed because i deal with people of size with handicaps all the time. I smiled and did the queen wave and everyone laughed.

As a person of size with a handicap your going to be seen so do your best to look good as you are. Be nice as you can and most people are nice back.

Everyone seemed to know me after that first tender and would often speak to us or stop by when we were sitting somewhere to say hello.

I also asked Jorge if we could one night get a ship side table so we could look out while we dined in the dining room. He said absolutely. The Head of the Dining room took it upon himself to seat us at a ship side table each night so i could watch the ocean while we ate. They even opened a separate room for us one nite cause there were none.

From our Room steward to the smallest of staff members they would remember our names from day to day and i asked if we could have armless chairs in the buffet area for breakfast that first day and they remained at that handicap table from then on. Everyone had a smile for us and i wrote many good job notes and tipped well. I personally cant say enough good things about the staff from the pearl from the steward who cleaned our room and removed items from the fridge with no compaints straight thru to the hotel manager Hans the Pearl was 5 star for me. And free styling was the best. No crowds and we even were treated to wine with our specialty resturant on my hubbys bday. And the staff tried to keep germs down with the washy washy happy happy hand sanitizers at every meal which is great.

Wow what a wonderful review! Could you provide me with info on where you got your scooter? Sailing on 4/21/2012 from san juan and no one has a scooter for me :( I am 6'2" and weigh 420. Have rented b4 from care vacations, but they now tell me they cannot .

If you could e mail me at allatrop1@aol.com, my family and I would be greatly apprecaitive.

Bill

Starting to think about a European cruise... after many North American cruises, it's time. But being held back by horror at thought of long trans-Atlantic flights, crammed like a sardine into a seat meant for someone half my size. Won't enjoy a cruise much if I arrive in a white jacket with my arms tied 'round my back! :eek:

Any voices of experience for bigger passengers crossing the big pond?

Any particular airline more (or less) size-friendly than others?

Also, assuming that a single coach seat just won't work, which makes more sense -- three coach seats for me and (slender) DH, or two biz class?

Any airline specifics for either option?

AmpleThanks in advance!

Go to seat guru and find out the type airplane and seat cofig. There are usually 4 seats in the rear where the leg room is better and only 2 seats. The advantage here is that there is space for 3 seats so the one by the window has all that space where the seat would have been !!! Have used these seats twice, but wife and I were very comfy and of course did not SQUEEZE out other passegers

I'm going on the Magic for spring break at the end of March. I'll be sure to report back. :)

It won't be long until your Disney Magic cruise. I can't wait to hear your review. The only thing I am concerned about is the seating in the show and movie venues since they do not have bench seating. I understand there are folding chairs in the back, but how sturdy are they? If you get a chance, I would appreciate you checking.

Thanks, and bon voyage!

Lesa

• 2 months later...

Just a suggestion for something that has helped me. I found a cane that folds into a tiny stool (okay, not comfy, but enough to get me off my feet for a minute.) This is such a great invention! It means I can go all sorts of places without a wheelchair. It is awesome! I got mine from Magellan's, but that one only goes up to 300 pounds. Has anyone else used something like this, maybe found one with a slightly bigger seat? I always get questions and comments about it when people see it, they want one too! I know everyone says it, but I am so glad I found this thread!

Just a suggestion for something that has helped me. I found a cane that folds into a tiny stool (okay, not comfy, but enough to get me off my feet for a minute.) This is such a great invention! It means I can go all sorts of places without a wheelchair. It is awesome! I got mine from Magellan's, but that one only goes up to 300 pounds. Has anyone else used something like this, maybe found one with a slightly bigger seat? I always get questions and comments about it when people see it, they want one too! I know everyone says it, but I am so glad I found this thread!

I dunno about where to find "extra" sized ones, but the regular ones are a joy for any traveller. We can use it after a day on our feet

I haven't found a cane one that holds bigger, but Magellans has a Walkstool that folds really small and has a carry pouch but when set up holds 495. Might help? :)

Good luck with your packing.

Another little tip I want to pass along is about laundry. I never pack laundry detergent or buy it on the cruise. Shampoo and Hair Conditioner also do double duty. Hair conditioner works on the same principle as fabric softner. No more than a dimes worth in a sink does the trick. Shampoo works nicely on simple stains.

I put small items, like underwear, swimwear tshirts and shorts in the shower tray and 'tread' them whilst I'm showering. The shower gel/shampoo washes me and my clothes! no extra detergent and no extra time spent handwashing. Just rinse through with plain water, squeeze out and hang to dry. Job Done! :)

To rent a scooter that if you can't find one closer to your port, I would try a medical supply place close to home and then just fly it down with you. With a prescription from your doctor, your medical insurance might even pay for your rental cost.

• 4 weeks later...
I put small items, like underwear, swimwear tshirts and shorts in the shower tray and 'tread' them whilst I'm showering. The shower gel/shampoo washes me and my clothes! no extra detergent and no extra time spent handwashing. Just rinse through with plain water, squeeze out and hang to dry. Job Done! :)

Fantastic idea. Never thought about doing that before but i will now! I hate having to hand wash the salt and sand out of clothes after a day at the beach :)

We had a good time on our cruise. All 3 of us ended up getting sick along with many other folks on the cruise ship as well. It wasn't a cruise ship illness like you hear of, just a nasty flu going around on land that i'm sure many folks brought on with them. Add in the close quarters that a cruise ship provides and it was bound to spread.

Being sick (and sunburned) aside, the rest of the cruise went well. The Carnival Magic is very fat-friendly by way of having excellent seating throughout most of the ship. There were, of course, many outdoor areas that still had arms on the chairs as well as the stateroom balconies, but there were spots here and there to be found that sufficed. The bathrooms in the cabins were great and not stuck in a walled alcove and the public bathrooms were great as well.

I would definately recommend the Carnival Magic for larger passengers looking for a very accessible ship. We just booked a B2B on the Carnival Breeze for this upcoming April and, as she's a sister ship to the Magic, I'm confident she is just as fat-friendly as well.

Regarding the airlines... my sister and i shared 3 seats so that helped cut down on the cost with only buying the 1 extra seat to share. We were able to get a shuttle cart thingy when we landed in Houston to whisk her along the massive terminal. On the way home, being sick and exhausted, my sister decided to accept wheelchair assistance through security and we all took the shuttle cart to the gate. There is no way she would have been able to walk with her knee the way it was so we were very grateful for the assistance.

Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to hearing about any upcoming cruises y'all have planned.

I will be on the Breeze next month :D so will keep my eyes open for tight spaces and small chairs to avoid. I'm about 225lb, so quite 'fluffy' (love that word - so much nicer that 'fat and obese' as we are called in the UK!) but still come unstuck (or should that be very stuck?) in booth seating sometimes.:o I'll try to remember to post something here when I get back in early Aug, but if I forget, someone give me a nudge?

I was on my first cruise when I got approved for my gastric bypass surgery. At 577lbs I was probably bigger than most of the anchors. I never had a problem with seating or bathing. Of course, I went straight to the main dining room and asked for an armless chair. After the first time, the chair was waiting for me each time I went in. The only problem I had was on a Close Dolphin Encounter. I had to climb down a 5 foot ladder to get to the platform where we would meet the Dolphins. After the event, it took 4 people and a ship's boarding platform to get me back up the ladder. Funny thing, that's the one time the photographer stopped taking pictures. Even though I would still be laughing at pics of that.

I will be on the Breeze next month :D so will keep my eyes open for tight spaces and small chairs to avoid. I'm about 225lb, so quite 'fluffy' (love that word - so much nicer that 'fat and obese' as we are called in the UK!) but still come unstuck (or should that be very stuck?) in booth seating sometimes.:o I'll try to remember to post something here when I get back in early Aug, but if I forget, someone give me a nudge?

oooo can't wait to hear all about it! have a wonderful trip. bon voyage!

I was on my first cruise when I got approved for my gastric bypass surgery. At 577lbs I was probably bigger than most of the anchors. I never had a problem with seating or bathing. Of course, I went straight to the main dining room and asked for an armless chair. After the first time, the chair was waiting for me each time I went in. The only problem I had was on a Close Dolphin Encounter. I had to climb down a 5 foot ladder to get to the platform where we would meet the Dolphins. After the event, it took 4 people and a ship's boarding platform to get me back up the ladder. Funny thing, that's the one time the photographer stopped taking pictures. Even though I would still be laughing at pics of that.

oh i'm sorry but the "bigger than most of the anchors" got me giggling hysterically! lolol. I'm always leary about booking a cruise with arms on the dining room chairs. I *know* everyone says you can just request one, but i'm still afraid that with my luck, they won't have any.

I would have been mortified at that Dolphin excursion. Sure, i would laugh about it later, but at the time...:o

so i take it you've had your bypass surgery now?

Hi Guys! Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread... but I thought I'd give it a try :rolleyes: DH and I just booked on the Holland America Westerdam... anyone cruised it before? Curious about the chair situation and if the common areas are easy to navigate/feel crowded. We've sailed Carnival before and have always had a very positive experience, but we thought it was time to start branching out and exploring other lines/itineraries. Thanks!!:)

Hi tangerine,

I haven't sailed it before but the pictures on HA's website don't look too bad. in every public area, there seems to be a lot of barrel chairs, which are bad, but also sofas and loungers which will work.

The dining room has arms on the chairs, but there is one photo there of banquet style seating. I'm sure if you talked to the maitre'd that he would be able to either get you a chair without arms as others have said cruise lines will do, or ask to be seated where there is the banquet style seating.

The theatre has some seating with arms up at the front, but looks like plenty of long bench seating like on Carnival.

Good luck and bon voyage!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you had your bypass yet? I had Verticle Sleeve(VSG) in May 2012 and dropped 150 lbs so far, started at 600 lbs, feels so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive not cruised on that ship, but whenever I've encountered a chair with arms, I always ask for one without and it is provided ASAP. At breakfast and lunch I always mention it to the Captain as I enter. That way he either spots one and has me seated there, or tells the waiter who will be seating me so he can be on the lookout for one on the way to my table. Whatever, they are used to it and it is no big thing for them. Thank goodness.

M.