bigger passenger

closure

Thanks for the quick reply -- much appreciated. Maybe I'll give a Sanctuarie suit a try on my upcoming cruise?

One more question -- how are they for support "up top"? Doesn't look like they have shelf bras...

Thanks again!

They're designed so you can wear your own bra underneath. If I'm just hanging around or bobbing in the pool or ocean, I don't bother wearing a bra under it. When I am concerned about keeping the girls in check, I have a no wire bra that I wear underneath.

They're designed so you can wear your own bra underneath. If I'm just hanging around or bobbing in the pool or ocean, I don't bother wearing a bra under it. When I am concerned about keeping the girls in check, I have a no wire bra that I wear underneath.

so do you do as they suggest and cut the bra straps and tie like a halter ?

so do you do as they suggest and cut the bra straps and tie like a halter ?

I just use a "flesh coloured" bra so I don't worry about anything showing but I think that would work. Or, here in Canada, Additionelle sells strapless bras (even up to 46DDD - I know, cause I have one).

I find for non strenuous swimming, I just go braless - the halter holds the girls in enough that they don't pop out and really, once I'm in the water, natural buoyancy takes over and they end up higher than even the best bra would do.

Let me start off by saying i am a 460 lb fat girl. I make no excuses for my size. I also am handicap with severe arthritis,and from bone breakage and hip dislocation in 99. I try to exercise everyday and watch what i eat. So that i can deal with my own life as mobile as possible. I also have thyroid issues and medication does not work in the blink of an eye.

As you all can tell before the cruise i was a nervous wreck. But it was the best vacation we ever had. I am married to a bhm who is 400 lbs has some mobility issues also do to the same car accident.

Any way on the second day we had a private meet and greet arranged by Tammy of cruise critic and we met with several of the officers on board the pearl.

They were lovely. They made it their personal jobs to make sure we were happy. We had sailed on rccl before twice since the accident. I will now sail with ncl. I had booked a inside handicap room. 36 inch doorways and it was huge.

Both my scooter and folding large size chair fit fine we didn't even have to put the luggage under the bed in the room. The only issue with the room was the fold out shower chair and it bent under my weight but my hubby used it fine. I took showers using my wheel chair for support.

The toilet was on the wall but secured better than any other. The public handicap bathrooms all were good size. Occasionally i had to have clothing help from my so so we were in there together. not a comment was made that we over heard.

I did go in my two piece swim suit in the public pool mostly in the late evenings. no comments, the other passengers were lovely about my scooter in the elevator. there is so much armless seating on this ship and its everywhere. I also was on one of the king size beds in the lounge with my so and two friends at white hot nite.

We tendered twice once at cayo which is their island and the cruise director was on board our tender. I did 12 steps down and used my chair. The issue was there are no hard roads their yet so she had the gentleman come from the surf shop in a rv and pick us up and take us to the beach. Then one of the other officers had him do the same so we could get back. I got preferential treatment by going on first on the tender since i was slow and i was allowed to wait at the dock.

the tender officers that worked on the ship got to know me well and were just adorable people.

Evidently Julie the cruise director had talked to several other officers after this and the night before we tendered in Jamaica Jorge who is head of all the restaurants and bars asked me to call him. The morning of the tender i road my scooter which is not a small scooter to the tendering area after meeting Jorge at breakfast and talking to him. Rashima who is head of the group services met me there. The captain informed me that he would be taking my scooter on board when we went and that he would just pull up to the doc which i could board straight to the ship or from land to the top of the ship when i was ready to leave. This could not happen because the dock belonged to another shipping company going to Jamaica but i went down the 16 stairs and the ramp and the captain and first mate and 2 other crew men helped my hubby make sure i was secure stepping off the ship onto the dock. These 4 gentlemen sweetly and calmly assured me they did not mind carrying my scooter down the steps. When we returned both the captain of our tender and his first mate had talked to ncl personal and i was allowed to depart from the dock like he originally wanted. I was watched by all the other passengers and he explained he would be picking me up. When they pulled forward and i rolled on board they all clapped. I am not easily embarrassed because i deal with people of size with handicaps all the time. I smiled and did the queen wave and everyone laughed.

As a person of size with a handicap your going to be seen so do your best to look good as you are. Be nice as you can and most people are nice back.

Everyone seemed to know me after that first tender and would often speak to us or stop by when we were sitting somewhere to say hello.

I also asked Jorge if we could one night get a ship side table so we could look out while we dined in the dining room. He said absolutely. The Head of the Dining room took it upon himself to seat us at a ship side table each night so i could watch the ocean while we ate. They even opened a separate room for us one nite cause there were none.

From our Room steward to the smallest of staff members they would remember our names from day to day and i asked if we could have armless chairs in the buffet area for breakfast that first day and they remained at that handicap table from then on. Everyone had a smile for us and i wrote many good job notes and tipped well. I personally cant say enough good things about the staff from the pearl from the steward who cleaned our room and removed items from the fridge with no compaints straight thru to the hotel manager Hans the Pearl was 5 star for me. And free styling was the best. No crowds and we even were treated to wine with our specialty resturant on my hubbys bday. And the staff tried to keep germs down with the washy washy happy happy hand sanitizers at every meal which is great.

Edited by redhotmermaid

Starting to think about a European cruise... after many North American cruises, it's time. But being held back by horror at thought of long trans-Atlantic flights, crammed like a sardine into a seat meant for someone half my size. Won't enjoy a cruise much if I arrive in a white jacket with my arms tied 'round my back! :eek:

Any voices of experience for bigger passengers crossing the big pond?

Any particular airline more (or less) size-friendly than others?

Also, assuming that a single coach seat just won't work, which makes more sense -- three coach seats for me and (slender) DH, or two biz class?

Any airline specifics for either option?

AmpleThanks in advance!

Starting to think about a European cruise... after many North American cruises, it's time. But being held back by horror at thought of long trans-Atlantic flights, crammed like a sardine into a seat meant for someone half my size. Won't enjoy a cruise much if I arrive in a white jacket with my arms tied 'round my back! :eek:

Any voices of experience for bigger passengers crossing the big pond?

Any particular airline more (or less) size-friendly than others?

Also, assuming that a single coach seat just won't work, which makes more sense -- three coach seats for me and (slender) DH, or two biz class?

Any airline specifics for either option?

AmpleThanks in advance!

Me too but need to fly from Dallas to Seattle with mobility scooter. Terrified!

Let me start off by saying i am a 460 lb fat girl. I make no excuses for my size. I also am handicap with severe arthritis,and from bone breakage and hip dislocation in 99. I try to exercise everyday and watch what i eat. So that i can deal with my own life as mobile as possible. I also have thyroid issues and medication does not work in the blink of an eye.

As you all can tell before the cruise i was a nervous wreck. But it was the best vacation we ever had. I am married to a bhm who is 400 lbs has some mobility issues also do to the same car accident. ...............

Dear redhotmermaid,

I admire your drive and ambition to see the world in spite of your handicap. Your story is an inspiration to me not because of a weight problem (I'm normal sized), but because of a different kind of handicap that I have that isn't visible because it's caused by two granulomas in my subglottis. However, they do cause me concern and travelling with large groups of people makes me a little nervous from the germ standpoint. You see, the granulomas partially obscure my upper airway and when I get a cold, I have to take steroids to decrease inflammation which also lowers my resistance by suppressing my immune system.

On top of that, my DH is 380 and suffering with two very arthritic knees in desperate need of replacement. I'm concerned that one day we won't be able to travel if he doesn't have them replaced.

But I see by your story and other posts on this thread that there is hope and I thank you for sharing and for providing encouragement through that sharing.

Aloha! And may you continue to enjoy the blessings of cruising and travelling.

Here's a question and I'm not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but I'm a 400+ guy and was wondering if I can take my Big Mans Folding Camping Chari along and use it only on my balcony?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about,

http://www.koolestproducts.com/p-14-maxxdaddy-monster-folding-camp-chair.aspx

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before.

I don't see why not!

As you all can tell before the cruise i was a nervous wreck. But it was the best vacation we ever had. I am married to a bhm who is 400 lbs has some mobility issues also do to the same car accident.

Isn't the Pearl the most fantastic ship??? There was only one place where there were issues, which was the theatre but otherwise, we could go anywhere, sit anywhere and do anything. I love love love that ship!

We're leaving on the Carnival Magic in 41 days. EEK! I'm really hoping this will be as wonderful of a ship as the Pearl was.

We are sailing on the carnival fascination on June 18th. I am recently disabled within the past four years and have not taken a big trip like this alone with my 8 year old son. I cannot ambulate very far and will have to use a scooter. I booked a handicapped room. I am nervous and scared but excited.

Has anyone ever been on the fascination? I didn't even think about chairs with arms!! I have gained a large amount of weight due to my injury and I am worried about which excursions I will be able to do. Do you leave the scooter at the pier? Do they watch it for you? I really want to do the dolphin excursion but I can't walk or stand for long at all.

Any insight or advice about excursions would be awesome!!

Thank you!!

Once in the water, you will be able to stand much longer.

I have taken my power chair on excursions, on private tours with HC van.

I have left my chair with security (a little scary).

I have regretted not taking my chair.

I have canceled excursions because I realized I could not do them.

We are sailing on the carnival fascination on June 18th. I am recently disabled within the past four years and have not taken a big trip like this alone with my 8 year old son. I cannot ambulate very far and will have to use a scooter. I booked a handicapped room. I am nervous and scared but excited.

Has anyone ever been on the fascination? I didn't even think about chairs with arms!! I have gained a large amount of weight due to my injury and I am worried about which excursions I will be able to do. Do you leave the scooter at the pier? Do they watch it for you? I really want to do the dolphin excursion but I can't walk or stand for long at all.

Any insight or advice about excursions would be awesome!!

Thank you!!

Some of the dolphin experiences have handicap accessibility. I have a bad back & was afraid I couldn't get down in the water on the little ledge when we went to bermuda. I had an accessible experience all set up but it was the same time as the ship arrived so I couldn't do it. Go online & check where u r going about accessibility. I also commented on another post u had about scooter in Bahamas. Good luck!

NJALOHO-

I was happy to read your post because like you, I have become germaphobic due to subglottial stenosis. We are still ruling it as idiopathic for now. Oddly enough I am recovering from a dilatation I had yesterday. My DH has been sweet about it, but I know I drive him crazy when I squirt hand sanitizer in his hands nonstop in public. We have our Lysol and large bottle of hand sanitizer packed for our cruise that leaves this Sunday! Subglottial stenosis is horrible, I never thought of myself as an anxious person but when I'm all inflamed and can't breathe I get really anxious. When my 1st ENT wanted to trach me and I refused ( I see someone else now). It also makes me a bit worried that I'll have an issue during the cruise. I don't think the ship's dr would really know what to do with me. My laryngealologist is sending me with steroids to take if I start having issues. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your granulomas, but it is comforting to hear I'm not alone. Take care

Redhotmermaid-

Your outlook is like a breath of fresh air. I like that you don't let your disability get in your way. Keep it up!

NJALOHO-

I was happy to read your post because like you, I have become germaphobic due to subglottial stenosis. We are still ruling it as idiopathic for now. Oddly enough I am recovering from a dilatation I had yesterday. My DH has been sweet about it, but I know I drive him crazy when I squirt hand sanitizer in his hands nonstop in public. We have our Lysol and large bottle of hand sanitizer packed for our cruise that leaves this Sunday! Subglottial stenosis is horrible, I never thought of myself as an anxious person but when I'm all inflamed and can't breathe I get really anxious. When my 1st ENT wanted to trach me and I refused ( I see someone else now). It also makes me a bit worried that I'll have an issue during the cruise. I don't think the ship's dr would really know what to do with me. My laryngealologist is sending me with steroids to take if I start having issues. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your granulomas, but it is comforting to hear I'm not alone. Take care

Hi Spyderski22,

I've had a diagnosis for 4 1/2 years and the story I get is that they could be idiopathic (that word really means, Doc has no idea) or they could be caused by LPR (Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflux Disease-like GERD).

I ordered a MedAlert bracelet and I'm on a low dose of Methylpred daily to keep the inflammation down. I believe you're right. The doctor on the ship wouldn't know what to do but if you bring a record of your medical history and carry it with you, that might ease your anxiety a bit. It's too late now, but consider ordering a MedAlert bracelet when you get home. Mine says: caution with intubation (which is another cause). It also has a number and a phone number so medical personnel can call and get your medical history on file.

I've learned to live with them and around them and hope and pray for a better solution or that one day they'll magically disappear. :rolleyes:

I, too, am glad you posted as I feel alone with this as well.

Aloha and happy sailing in spite of our anxiety.:D

Hi Spyderski22,

I've had a diagnosis for 4 1/2 years and the story I get is that they could be idiopathic (that word really means, Doc has no idea) or they could be caused by LPR (Laryngeal Pharyngeal Reflux Disease-like GERD).

I ordered a MedAlert bracelet and I'm on a low dose of Methylpred daily to keep the inflammation down. I believe you're right. The doctor on the ship wouldn't know what to do but if you bring a record of your medical history and carry it with you, that might ease your anxiety a bit. It's too late now, but consider ordering a MedAlert bracelet when you get home. Mine says: caution with intubation (which is another cause). It also has a number and a phone number so medical personnel can call and get your medical history on file.

I've learned to live with them and around them and hope and pray for a better solution or that one day they'll magically disappear. :rolleyes:

I, too, am glad you posted as I feel alone with this as well.

Aloha and happy sailing in spite of our anxiety.:D

NJaloha- thanks for the idea. Have you had many dialations? I had one last month ( left side laser and balloon) and then yesterday(balloon). scheduled for right side laser and balloon on march 5th. we are thinking it's from reflux, so far all the tests for wegeners have come back negative. I can't really take steroids without horrible side effects. the prednisone gives me bad paranoia, hence the reason I'm taking them along with me on the cruise and I'm only swallowing them if I encounter bad breathing issues. Last week the dr gave me mucomyst for my nebulizer to help with a minor chest cold I had.. stinks like sulfur, but helps a lot to get the stuff out. My throat (before this recent balloon dialation) prevented me from having an effective cough. We booked the cruise before any of the stenosis was known, and we would have lost all of our money.

One very annoying thing about this throat issue is that I appear to be perfectly able-bodied and 31. I now know how people feel that have issues with mobility even though they appear perfectly "normal". I just feel bad because I used to be the first to give up an elevator spot for the stairs.. I can still do the stairs, I just have to go super slow and I wheeze really bad.

I'm still hopeful that these few dialations will be all that I need, dr seemed optimistic too. I haven't been able to work (I'm a RN) since this all started (December is when I couldn't take it anymore and saw an ENT who scoped my throat). HOw did you discover yours?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this up as it's such a great thread with lots of information.

Anyone going on a cruise soon? We're leaving in 15 days for our cruise. My sister, who is also overweight, is coming out here to our house, then travelling with us. We're sharing a seat between us on the airplane which will really help ease with the stress of travel.

Hope everyone is enjoying their time and looking at a cruise in the not too distant future.

Just wanted to bump this up as it's such a great thread with lots of information.

Anyone going on a cruise soon? We're leaving in 15 days for our cruise. My sister, who is also overweight, is coming out here to our house, then travelling with us. We're sharing a seat between us on the airplane which will really help ease with the stress of travel.

Hope everyone is enjoying their time and looking at a cruise in the not too distant future.

Hey Miss Rabbit ,

Wow...15 days...wish we were that close..I think it is 78 more to go for us. You must be so excited. The extra seat sure is nice and helps with air travel. I am always so happy when that happens and only found out last year that Alaska will do this for you and refund the fare back if there are empty seats.

I am looking forward to trying our RCCL especially the lovely solarium on this ship. They have steps that walk into the pool...big plus for this plus size gal with really nasty knees !!

I plan on spending some time there for sure...even if we are sailing in the chilly months to Alaska !! Will I care about being seen in a bathing suit...Hell NO !! Just will need to remember to shave the winter hairy legs..ha ha ha.

I have never had issues with my size but this time around we have a handicap cabin booked as I will be using a scooter for the first time. My knees have gotten worse, in fact a total knee replacement made things worse and I will have to have it done all over again...different surgeon this time !! However going to have the other knee done first...so this trip is a low key one for us before I have surgery. Needless to say though, I will enjoy the benefits of the cabin and particularily the shower given my robust size.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi, have a great trip and we look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

PS...the Pearl is a lovely ship..but you do need to be careful which cabin type you book...I did find the one we had very small with regards to the toilet and had to keep the door open and stick my legs out...lol Where there is a will, there is a way.

Hi everyone,

I am curious...normally you can upgrade your cabin after final payment if there are better cabins in the same category as the one you have booked. So is a HC cabin a special category that will see them upgrade you from inside, to window and or balcony if HC cabins in those categories are still available and or does it only apply to HC cabins that are the same category...ie inside, balcony.

Surprisingly enough there are a few HC cabins left on our upcoming trip and I am hoping for and or thinking of asking about an upgrade.

Cheers

Sue

since i've heard a number of times where people with a guarantee cabin have been assigned an HC cabin even though they didn't need it, i would think they are in with the general population when it comes to upgrades.

Since you need one, and have one, i don't think they would upgrade you to anything *but* an HC one.

Hey Miss Rabbit ,

Wow...15 days...wish we were that close..I think it is 78 more to go for us. You must be so excited. The extra seat sure is nice and helps with air travel. I am always so happy when that happens and only found out last year that Alaska will do this for you and refund the fare back if there are empty seats.

I am looking forward to trying our RCCL especially the lovely solarium on this ship. They have steps that walk into the pool...big plus for this plus size gal with really nasty knees !!

I plan on spending some time there for sure...even if we are sailing in the chilly months to Alaska !! Will I care about being seen in a bathing suit...Hell NO !! Just will need to remember to shave the winter hairy legs..ha ha ha.

I have never had issues with my size but this time around we have a handicap cabin booked as I will be using a scooter for the first time. My knees have gotten worse, in fact a total knee replacement made things worse and I will have to have it done all over again...different surgeon this time !! However going to have the other knee done first...so this trip is a low key one for us before I have surgery. Needless to say though, I will enjoy the benefits of the cabin and particularily the shower given my robust size.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi, have a great trip and we look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

PS...the Pearl is a lovely ship..but you do need to be careful which cabin type you book...I did find the one we had very small with regards to the toilet and had to keep the door open and stick my legs out...lol Where there is a will, there is a way.[/quote

Hi Ms rabbit,

I am a male 6'2" 420 Lbs have been on 2 transatlantic and 3 carribbean cruises. We now have a cruise from san juan in april and a TA in Aug from England to boston.

I have rented from carevacations and never had a problem, but now it seems no one has a bariatric scooter. I have tried special needs at seas and scootaround to no avail. Do you have any suggestions? getting a little desperate as My grandkids will be on this cruise and I would like to be there too!

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Ms rabbit,

I am a male 6'2" 420 Lbs have been on 2 transatlantic and 3 carribbean cruises. We now have a cruise from san juan in april and a TA in Aug from England to boston.

I have rented from carevacations and never had a problem, but now it seems no one has a bariatric scooter. I have tried special needs at seas and scootaround to no avail. Do you have any suggestions? getting a little desperate as My grandkids will be on this cruise and I would like to be there too!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, check out my earlier posts in this thread, #383 & 385, about the TravelScoot. Sorry so brief but our cruise leave Sunday and I'm not packed yet.

Here's to each of our next Bon Voyage!

I have a question for y'all.

At the airport, we've all seen those elongated golf cart shuttle things giving people rides to their destinations. I've been lucky enough to get a ride on them a couple times. I thought it was always just if you're lucky enough to flag one down, but last time, one was waiting at our gate for someone who had pre-arranged one to be there. It ended up she had missed the flight so we hopped on it instead.

But i was wondering how one would go about pre-arranging for a shuttle cart to meet you at the gate? I've scoured the airport's website (houston IAH) and haven't found anything about it. My sister is travelling with us this time and she uses a cane so we are definately in need of the shuttle more than ever. ANyone have any ideas?

I would call your airline and check with them. I would

Also check with the luggage guys outside

The airport. I know you can arrange

for a wheelchair and a "pusher" by

calling your airline. They will meet your

Sis where you check your bags and

Take her to your gate. They will meet her

at the plane and take her to baggage, a cab,

Or the shuttle. Hope you all have

a great cruise.