bigger passenger

closure

NJaloha- thanks for the idea. Have you had many dialations? I had one last month ( left side laser and balloon) and then yesterday(balloon). scheduled for right side laser and balloon on march 5th. we are thinking it's from reflux, so far all the tests for wegeners have come back negative. I can't really take steroids without horrible side effects. the prednisone gives me bad paranoia, hence the reason I'm taking them along with me on the cruise and I'm only swallowing them if I encounter bad breathing issues. Last week the dr gave me mucomyst for my nebulizer to help with a minor chest cold I had.. stinks like sulfur, but helps a lot to get the stuff out. My throat (before this recent balloon dialation) prevented me from having an effective cough. We booked the cruise before any of the stenosis was known, and we would have lost all of our money.

One very annoying thing about this throat issue is that I appear to be perfectly able-bodied and 31. I now know how people feel that have issues with mobility even though they appear perfectly "normal". I just feel bad because I used to be the first to give up an elevator spot for the stairs.. I can still do the stairs, I just have to go super slow and I wheeze really bad.

I'm still hopeful that these few dialations will be all that I need, dr seemed optimistic too. I haven't been able to work (I'm a RN) since this all started (December is when I couldn't take it anymore and saw an ENT who scoped my throat). HOw did you discover yours?

Hello spyderski22 and to others following this post,

I've been meaning to followup with you, SS22, but don't want to hijack this thread by talking about unrelated health issues. I hope you are still out there in CC land. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to contact members privately. I have not had dilations or trach and was diagnosed by ENT due to breathing problems. I am avoiding all procedures as long as possible. :(

I will, however, report that our cruise went very well; so well in fact that we booked another out of FLL bound for the western caribbean. :D Back on topic: We rented a scooter for my DH and HE LOVED IT!!! It certainly helped when the ship was rocking and rolling, but it barely fit in the cabin. We were able to work around it though and had a wonderful 12 nights on the Silhouette. The shower and bathroom were plenty big enough and there were many times when we were actually in the bathroom together!!!

The seating on the deck (Aqua class has two chairs with ottomans and a table) worked perfectly and my DH fit in the chair just fine. :)

The only downside to the cruise was that I ended up with the Noro Virus and was sick for our last port day. :eek: Even with all the hand washing and care taken by the cleanup from the prior cruise, several of us did come down with it.

In summary, we had a great cruise and dining in Blu was the best part. I did not gain any weight; Noro helped that, but have gained 10 pounds since the cruise. what's that about??? :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Wow what a wonderful review! Could you provide me with info on where you got your scooter? Sailing on 4/21/2012 from san juan and no one has a scooter for me :( I am 6'2" and weigh 420. Have rented b4 from care vacations, but they now tell me they cannot .

If you could e mail me at allatrop1@aol.com, my family and I would be greatly apprecaitive.

Bill

hon i own mine.

We are going back on the pearl for the same trip as last year as it coincides with hubbys bday. We had such fun last year and it was so relaxing knowing that we both were having fun. If you want i can put up a few pics. I have a slightly larger handicap cabin this year but the one from last year was just awesome we didnt even have to put the luggage away. BTW im down about 30 lbs. And we have attached a carrier to my scooter seat to hold a camp chair for the hubby which works well for walking. Have a great day :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it might be time to revive this thread again. I will be cruising next month on the Celebrity Millennium doing a full transit of the Panama Canal from Miami to San Diego. I am familiar with the Millennium having spent 11 nights on her a couple of years ago and know she is a wonderful ship. She has been refurbished this year and additional cabins were added, mostly from converting existing space. I have one of the new cabins on Deck 11.

I am flying Southwest. I purchased two tickets but since I have not flown them in years, I am not sure what to expect regarding boarding. Do I preboard? Am I expected to bring my own seatbelt extender? Any information that I might find helpful is appreciated.

Lesa

Thought it might be time to revive this thread again. I will be cruising next month on the Celebrity Millennium doing a full transit of the Panama Canal from Miami to San Diego. I am familiar with the Millennium having spent 11 nights on her a couple of years ago and know she is a wonderful ship. She has been refurbished this year and additional cabins were added, mostly from converting existing space. I have one of the new cabins on Deck 11.

I am flying Southwest. I purchased two tickets but since I have not flown them in years, I am not sure what to expect regarding boarding. Do I preboard? Am I expected to bring my own seatbelt extender? Any information that I might find helpful is appreciated.

Lesa

• Would recommend that you request preboarding. However note that Southwest does not have to grant preboarding if the reason is solely that you purchased two seats. Preboarding is generally for families and those with medical need such as someone using a mobility aid but recommend you ask anyway.
  • You can't ask for pre-boarding until you arrive at the gate. At which time the gate agent will give you a blue sleeve for your boarding pass which will allow you to preboard when the announcement is made. Suggest you sit as close to the jetway door as possible so you're ready to board once the announcement is made.
  • RE: seat extender - Southwest will provide one. Ask the flight attendent for an extender as you board. The flight attendent will bring it to your seat after most of the passengers have boarded. My experience has been that they a generally very descrete in how this handled.
  • You will be given something like a boarding pass to place on the empty seat next to you so no one tries to take it. However people don't always see.
  • Take note as to if the plane flies with any empty seats. If so than you are entitled to a refund for the extra seat you purchased.
  • My last flight the passenger sitting in my row purchased an extra seat . The flight was oversold and Southwest asked if she would release the seat for a refund as it was the last flight out for the night. Though the passenger really could have done without the second seat she chose to keep it and not sell it back to Southwest. As much as Southwest's policy is that a person of size should purchase 2 seats Southwest is also known to ask the person to release the seat for a refund.

If you purchase an extra seat on Southwest, as stated above you should see the gate agent, who will issue you a preboarding sleeve and a "RESERVED" tag for the seat next to you.

You will, in fact, be allowed to preboard. How else could they assure that you get two seats together? I know they do this from personal experience. Southwest's prebording is different from some other airlines. Families with children no longer preboard before the first group of "regular" passengers. They now board after the " A" group. I think this is because many of the people in the "A" group have paid the extra $10. for advance boarding, or whatever they call it.

I agree that you should notify the first flight attendent upon entering that you need a seat belt extender. They will generally bring it as they begin the cabin check, although they may do it sooner. They generally are very discreet about it. :)

M.

Edited by Mindy97

Families with children no longer preboard before the first group of "regular" passengers. They now board after the " A" group. I think this is because many of the people in the "A" group have paid the extra $10. for advance boarding, or whatever they call it.

This might be Southwest's policy but not all gate agents/airports follow the rule . My two most recent flights (each at a different airport and within the last 2 months) families with children actually boarded when those with medical need boarded. Which in fact was prior to anyone else boarding, even before the A group that paid the extra $10.00

Wow! Were either of those in LAX or LAS? I hate it when they let the families with children go right behind "those who need extra time down the jetway" cause sometimes the kids get away from the parents and try to run you over:( I really don't walk too fast, specially if I am stressed.

M.

Good luck with your upcoming flight!

even though i buy a 2nd seat, i'm always stressed until the gate door is closed. Airlines are notorious about overbooking and i'm always afraid that they're going to insist i give up my 2nd seat. Or there's some computer glitch and they think i accidentally have 2 seats and book someone else in my 2nd seat. I know that's just paranoia, but i really, really hate flying lol.

It's looking like for our upcoming cruise, we're going to have to fly American Airlines. I've never flown with them before and it looks like they book just about every aisle seat as a 'preferred' seating. Which means my husband won't be able to sit with me. How do they do it when a family of 3 flies? split them all up cause the aisle (and in many cases the window too) are reserved for preferred seating sales? Anyway, this is an added stress i don't need when flying.

Lesa, have fun on the Millenium. She was the 2nd ship we sailed on and we loved her.

Wow! Were either of those in LAX or LAS? I hate it when they let the families with children go right behind "those who need extra time down the jetway" cause sometimes the kids get away from the parents and try to run you over:( I really don't walk too fast, specially if I am stressed.

M.

Yes one was LAS. The other was BOI. LAS was the worst as they not only allowed families with children to board at the same time as those with special needs. LAS allowed all family members of the one with special needs to pre-baord. Southwest's policy is that only one person in the party other than that with the special needs is allowed to assist that individual with boarding. Boarding in LAS was a nightmare going down the jetway with my walker and people litterally wanting to knock me over.

Edited by xxoocruiser

They keep you a few inches off the sand and have no arms on them

now I wouldn't be able to get out of those without help. A sand chair? Roll out of it?:eek:

we'd look like beached whales!;)

I agree with you. Being large and having had multiple joint replacements I find that I shouldn't place myself where I would need help getting up. I've actually dislocated my hip trying to get out of low deck chairs. That's something you don't want to repeat.

Hi everyone!! I LOVE this thread. I also belong to the "fluffy" club. I am also wheelchair dependent. My Carnival Breeze cruise next year will be the first cruise that I will be totally wheelchair dependent. I do have a question. I have a 19yr old son who will be cruising with us. The problem is, he is 6' 10" tall. His weight is normal for his size, but what kind of problems do you think he will encounter due to his height?? Anyone travel with someone "extra" tall??

M.

I'm sorry, but don't get me started on families with children getting special privileges. I actually think that they should board last, because they take so long to settle down they slow up the boarding process for everyone else.

If I am harsh, maybe it is because I live in a country where there are lots of families with 6-8 children flying, and stair-step children at that. All under the age of ten!

I agree with you. Being large and having had multiple joint replacements I find that I shouldn't place myself where I would need help getting up. I've actually dislocated my hip trying to get out of low deck chairs. That's something you don't want to repeat.

Same here. I miss being able lay out on the lounge chairs. It is impossible for me to do anymore. They are just too low. Wish they had some kind of lounge chairs where you can adjust the height.

Good luck with your upcoming flight!

even though i buy a 2nd seat, i'm always stressed until the gate door is closed. Airlines are notorious about overbooking and i'm always afraid that they're going to insist i give up my 2nd seat. Or there's some computer glitch and they think i accidentally have 2 seats and book someone else in my 2nd seat. I know that's just paranoia, but i really, really hate flying lol.

It's looking like for our upcoming cruise, we're going to have to fly American Airlines. I've never flown with them before and it looks like they book just about every aisle seat as a 'preferred' seating. Which means my husband won't be able to sit with me. How do they do it when a family of 3 flies? split them all up cause the aisle (and in many cases the window too) are reserved for preferred seating sales? Anyway, this is an added stress i don't need when flying.

Lesa, have fun on the Millenium. She was the 2nd ship we sailed on and we loved her.

Thanks!

Most of my flying has been on American, and for the most part I have found them to be extremely accomodating. I will bet that they at least try to get you and your husband together. They have done that before for me and my sister.

Where are you cruising next?

Thanks!

Most of my flying has been on American, and for the most part I have found them to be extremely accomodating. I will bet that they at least try to get you and your husband together. They have done that before for me and my sister.

Where are you cruising next?

Oh i really hope so. I think it's quite silly to block off all the aisle and most of the window seats to preferred (higher paying) customers.

Our next cruise is on the Carnival Breeze in April. Going on a B2B. The first one we'll be going to Grand Turk, Ocho Rios & Nassau. I'm not really keen on Ocho Rios and i've never been to Nassau but heard it's kinda blah. Normally i wouldn't go on a cruise with so-so ports, but i really wanted another B2B.

The second half of the cruise, goes to Grand Turk, La Romana (DR), Aruba & Curacao. I have been wanting to go to Aruba & Curacao for a very long time so this is a dream vacation for me. Plus, I have a friend whom i've known online for about 8 years, who lives in La Romana! So she's going to pick us up at the port and show us all around the place!

Edited by MissRabbit

Same here. I miss being able lay out on the lounge chairs. It is impossible for me to do anymore. They are just too low. Wish they had some kind of lounge chairs where you can adjust the height.

A coujple of years ago I stayed in a hotel with very low sunbeds. I bought a cheap inflatable mattress (a lilo) and put it on the sunbed which made it about 4 or 5 inches higher, and much easier to get on and off.

Oh i really hope so. I think it's quite silly to block off all the aisle and most of the window seats to preferred (higher paying) customers.

Our next cruise is on the Carnival Breeze in April. Going on a B2B. The first one we'll be going to Grand Turk, Ocho Rios & Nassau. I'm not really keen on Ocho Rios and i've never been to Nassau but heard it's kinda blah. Normally i wouldn't go on a cruise with so-so ports, but i really wanted another B2B.

The second half of the cruise, goes to Grand Turk, La Romana (DR), Aruba & Curacao. I have been wanting to go to Aruba & Curacao for a very long time so this is a dream vacation for me. Plus, I have a friend whom i've known online for about 8 years, who lives in La Romana! So she's going to pick us up at the port and show us all around the place!

That's just reminded me..... I was on the Breeze in July, and promised to report back about seating in the buffet, MDR, theatre and lounges. No worries everyone! The buffet and MDR chairs do not have arms, the theatre has both ordinary theatre seats and wider settee style seats, as does the lounge with the comedy shows. Don't think anyone wil have any problems!:)

That's just reminded me..... I was on the Breeze in July, and promised to report back about seating in the buffet, MDR, theatre and lounges. No worries everyone! The buffet and MDR chairs do not have arms, the theatre has both ordinary theatre seats and wider settee style seats, as does the lounge with the comedy shows. Don't think anyone wil have any problems!:)

that's fantastic news! I was worried about the comedy show lounge as it looked like it was all those funky chairs that have those annoying wing arms.

Did you enjoy the Breeze?

Speaking of airports, I met a medic from Afghanistan, who was a double amputee with a traumatic brain injury, whose wheelchair got stuck in the luggage line. Someone in line also screamed at him for taking so long to board. I guess you meet all kinds when you travel.

Speaking of airports, I met a medic from Afghanistan, who was a double amputee with a traumatic brain injury, whose wheelchair got stuck in the luggage line. Someone in line also screamed at him for taking so long to board. I guess you meet all kinds when you travel.

that is all kinds of wrong. :( I just don't understand people most days.

that's fantastic news! I was worried about the comedy show lounge as it looked like it was all those funky chairs that have those annoying wing arms.

Did you enjoy the Breeze?[/quoter

Had a great time on the Breeze. It is a beautiful ship.

Just a word of advice about the comedy lounge. It gets really busy, so if you want to sit, and particularly of you want a particular kind of seat, you need to arrive early.

In the main theatre, all the seats on the 3rd (bottom) floor are bench style, and the ones on the 4th floor have bench style at the bottom of the tiers and theatre style further up. The 5th floor has theatre style throughout.

All seats in the mdr have no arms.

Wish the Breeze was staying in Europe - would love to go back on her again!!!