How to dress for excursion?

arizgirl

We will be going on a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier and dogsledding July 13 of this year.

We'll be up there about an hour.

Any good guesses as to how cold it will be? I'm trying to figure out if I need to take a heavy 3/4 length women's coat for this excursion. It's the only place on our cruise I may need it. Everyone says dress in layers for Alaska and that's understandable, but I'll be walking around on top of a glacier.

Hi Arizgirl, we are doing the same excursion in the first week of august and we are wearing Under Armour base layers (tops and bottoms) probably a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans, hoodie, waterproof/windproof coat, small thermal toque and mitts...this way we can take off layers if need be...

1st responder has the right idea, we'll be doing something similar and of course just looking off the ship will tell you immediately do you need to be rain ready or not. If it is overcast, cloudy I think you could get anything from rain and 50s to sun. I would not recommend 3/4 length anything, cumbersome for heli and out on snow and sledding.

Good luck!

We will be going on a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier and dogsledding July 13 of this year.

Any good guesses as to how cold it will be? I'm trying to figure out if I need to take a heavy 3/4 length women's coat for this excursion. It's the only place on our cruise I may need it. Everyone says dress in layers for Alaska and that's understandable, but I'll be walking around on top of a glacier.

I just got back from Alaska Sat the weather was perfect.. No rain high of 65 to 70 all week all I ever wore was a Wind breaker that was lined and that was on the ship seeing the glaciers it was a little windy

It got a little cold at night 45 maybe In Juneau didnt need a jacket at all that is where we took the float plane

We just got back this weekend. When we were on Mendenhall, we wore ColdGear as a base (top only), a t-shirt, fleece liner, windbreaker, jeans, SmartWool socks, hiking shoes (we had shoe covers from the company too), gloves, and a hat. It was a little windy, but both my husband and I were comfortable. I don't think you'll need anything heavier than a fleece with a windbreaker as long as you've layered.

We did a helicopter glacier landing and trek 2 weeks ago. This was out of Skagway. The temp on the glacier was about 45 but with windchill it felt like it was in the low 30's. I wore khaki like pants, long sleeve t-shirt with Lands End Sherpa Fleece Pullover over top. I also wore my knit winter hat and gloves. The Lands End fleece pullover is rated from 5degrees to 25 degrees. They gave us glacier boots that slip over your regular shoes and safety vests.

My legs were a little cold and my head was also cold. I wish I would've had a scarf with me to bundle around my face.

We had a great time and took tons of pictures. I know this is different from your dogsledding excursion but they let us drink from a glacier stream too. They also let us take any rocks we wanted. Now I have rocks from a glacier which I think is very cool.

Have fun on your trip! I'm already thinking of my next Alaska trip.

If that's what you wear to walk out to the mailbox in Feb. for 15 feet when it's 40 degrees, then you might need it. Me, I'd only ever wear a 3/4 heavy coat if I was going to a sports game that was boring and I wouldn't be moving more than to re-adjust my numb nether regions. Now, a Patriots game, 20 degrees or so, wind breaker/unlined snowboard jacket over hooded fleece with base layer (or bare skin and blue paint:eek:, joking, NOT that crazy)

When I am moving, snowshoeing I usually don't even wear more than a windbreaker and base layer, and the windbreaker usually doesn't stay on much after the first 5 minutes unless it is night, wet or dropping snow from the tree branches. But that's me. You have to know you.

Archived