Western Med in November

We are considering a cruise in the Western Mediterranean during the first week of November. Has anyone else sailed there during November? My wife is concerned that it may be too cold. Any advice from fellow cruise critics would be appreciated. Thanks!

We are considering a cruise in the Western Mediterranean during the first week of November. Has anyone else sailed there during November? My wife is concerned that it may be too cold. Any advice from fellow cruise critics would be appreciated. Thanks!

We did the second week of November on the Voyager of the Seas Western Mediterranean in 2008. We had excellent weather. It never rained, the lowers were in the 50s and the highs were in the mid70s.

However, two things. The day we were at sea from Palermo to Barcelona, the seas were extremely rough. We were on the Mariner going through a cat 1 hurricane and it was nothing compared to the seas we experienced that day in the med. The crew said it was common in November. About half the ship was sick that day. The other thing to warn you about is that we were told many times that we were very lucky to have the weather that we did, because it is usually cold and rainy during that time of year.

We had a great time and really enjoyed it, but if we were doing it again and price was about the same, we would probably target late September or early October. We picked November due to the significant price difference of the cruise, airfare and private tours.

We sailed on Voyager in the last week of October 2 years ago. The weather was lovely on the day we sailed and for 2 of our ports of call (Monaco and Naples). It was cool and rainy in Pisa (spoiled the day for us), it poured with rain all day in Civitavecchia - fortunately we'd spent 3 days in Rome earlier in the year, but there were some very wet and miserable people who spent the day in Rome. Palermo was mixed weather - quite cool and, as previously mentioned, the trip back was cold, rainy and very rocky. Barcelona (post cruise) was a wash-out - poured with rain for 2 days :mad: We'd had a lovely few days in Barcelona the previous year but really wanted to show our sons Park Guell and Tibidabo, neither of which we fancied in heavy rain.

I know that other people have had good weather in the Western Med at that time of year but it is a risk I wouldn't take again.

We cruised the Med last year the 3rd and 4th weeks in October. We had some rough seas and two nights of storms. The majority of days were cold and rainy. We hit two days of stormy seas. Apparently, the sailing right after ours had nice weather.

I think the weather is just the luck of the draw. The time of year you are looking at is the end of the season. We found many shops to be closed already. On the upside, we did get some great buys. Tourist shop owners were anxious to get rid of their stock.

We sailed the Westerd Med 3 years ago during the middle of November and the weather was beautiful. I wore t-shirt's, jeans and light jacket in most of the ports. Barcelona, Portofino and Marseille were cold in the morning, but warmed up later. Gibraltar, Tangier and Casablanca I never needed a jacket. The seas were really rough in a couple spots but it didn't interfere with our trip. Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Might be a bit colder during evenings but normally in the Med you should have nice weather. However, there is always a risk of weather turning bad with rain and wind.

Western Med is great but November just might be just to late to be sure for good weather. If possible see if you can do September which for me is the best month, not hot not cold.

Good luck

Robert

Archived