Storage space on new QE

PvTraveler

Has anyone else looked at the bedroom photo posted by CC of the new QE balcony bedroom? In addressing passenger's concerns about storage space, they have put 2 pull-out drawers under the bed. Not very practical for those who cannot easily bend down. But my concern is that with the new drawers - where are we supposed to store the cases during the voyage ? Getting any size case under there will be tricky.

The Q.E is a clone of the Q.V & i managed to get 4 large cases under the bed.on the Q.V For those that have difficulty in bending just ask the steward to put them under/take them out.

Has anyone else looked at the bedroom photo posted by CC of the new QE balcony bedroom? In addressing passenger's concerns about storage space, they have put 2 pull-out drawers under the bed. Not very practical for those who cannot easily bend down. But my concern is that with the new drawers - where are we supposed to store the cases during the voyage ? Getting any size case under there will be tricky.

Assuming that the layout is the same as on QV, the "drawer under the bed" solution is actually surprisingly practical, although I completely understand your point about passengers with limited mobility and I acknolwedge that that could be a problem.

The drawers are large enough to store a significant amount of kit but there is still plenty of room under the beds for storing cases. We managed to stow four good sized suitcases under the bed even with the new drawers in place. There are also some additional small drawers in the bedside cabinets.

J

Thanks Cruachan for the assurances on being able to stow the cases. I am on the Maiden voyage of the QE and will be traveling over 6 weeks around England and on the QE and QM2 and I know I will have plenty of baggage to stash.

On a different note - has anyone changed cabins between voyages ? Do the stewards move your gear out of the closet or do you put it all back in the cases ?

Thanks Cruachan for the assurances on being able to stow the cases. I am on the Maiden voyage of the QE and will be traveling over 6 weeks around England and on the QE and QM2 and I know I will have plenty of baggage to stash.

On a different note - has anyone changed cabins between voyages ? Do the stewards move your gear out of the closet or do you put it all back in the cases ?

I haven't done this personally but my understanding is that the cabin steward will handle most of the work. They have these sort of wheel-along hanging frame things so that all the hanging stuff from your wardrobe can be moved easily. Not quite sure about the stuff out of the drawers but there are people on here who have done this for sure and they will be able to give you better advice than me.

J

My experience was the same as Cruachan's vis a vis storing numerous cases under the bed, even with the drawers in situ. What he forgot to mention was that the drawers catch your fingers every few days, just as they're recovering from the last time. Or perhaps I'm just forgetful/clumsy/not very bright:o.

My experience was the same as Cruachan's vis a vis storing numerous cases under the bed, even with the drawers in situ. What he forgot to mention was that the drawers catch your fingers every few days, just as they're recovering from the last time. Or perhaps I'm just forgetful/clumsy/not very bright:o.

My issue was that with long nails I couldn't get a proper grip on them to pull them open in the first place :eek:

Did a repositioning cruise on HAL in 08 on the Zuiderdam (a Vista) - they had the drawers at the end of the bed with plenty of room for suitcases. Why Cunard did not do this on the QV is beyond me - maybe it was something to do with cost -like the "genuine simulated" teak decking

Did a repositioning cruise on HAL in 08 on the Zuiderdam (a Vista) - they had the drawers at the end of the bed with plenty of room for suitcases. Why Cunard did not do this on the QV is beyond me - maybe it was something to do with cost -like the "genuine simulated" teak decking

Cunard have done this on the QV.

PvTraveler....I have done this but on QM2...i'd assume the system would be the same on QE. In my case I crossed to Hamburg then changed cabins for the Norway cruise last year.

The day we arrived in Hamburg my instructions from the Purser's office were to leave all my hanging clothes as they were and to pack up any loose items in suitcases. It's surprising how many "loose" items one can have as that included all the things I had on shelves and in drawers in the closets and in the bathroom. But it was easily done the day before.

When we left for our excursion I was told to just leave everything in the cabin for housekeeping to handle and to come to the purser's office on reboarding the ship (with my original card for the first cabin) and then collect my new card keyed for the new cabin. (My bookings were linked in their system) Easily done....went to the new cabin and there was everything waiting for me. All the clothes were rehung neatly in the closet...only in the opposite direction that I'd had them and knew where everything was!! But o complaints...it was a smooth transition and I'd not worry if I had to do it again some day.

I'd just go to their office during the trip and make mention of this and they will give you your instructions at the time. Don't worry...it's not a big deal.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

What he forgot to mention was that the drawers catch your fingers every few days, just as they're recovering from the last time.

You are quite correct - and I had forgotten about that. As you are closing the drawer, the last half-inch or so of its travel goes very rapidly - presumably this is some kind of safety mechanism to stop the drawer opening in a high sea. But it can certainly catch your fingers if you aren't aware of it.

J

You are quite correct - and I had forgotten about that. As you are closing the drawer, the last half-inch or so of its travel goes very rapidly - presumably this is some kind of safety mechanism to stop the drawer opening in a high sea. But it can certainly catch your fingers if you aren't aware of it.

J

OK, I have a question, and it is after the fact I know, but why didn't Cunard design the cabins the same as on the QM2--with drawers up where they should be? Or are the cabins smaller on the QV and the QE?

The Britannia balcony cabins are the same size on the QM2 and QV.

On the QM2 there are drawers under the safe. On the QV, this is extra hanging space.

From what I can tell (by the difference in colour of the inside of the drawers) there used to be only one drawer in the bedside cabinets on the QV. Now there are three.

I don't think the QM2 has big storage drawers under the bed like the QV has.

The QV has 2 hooks outside of the wardrobes for hanging your coats. The QM2 hasn't. So all in all, I reckon the QV cabins have more clothes storage than the QM2.

Archived