Mexican Reviera cruise from Longbeach..

flatman

What's the best airport to fly into? Would it be better to fly into San Diego or LA? Also what's a good place to stay one night pre-cruise from one of these locations?

Hmmmm....... cruise from Long Beach............ hmmm........ maybe Long Beach?

Hmmmm....... cruise from Long Beach............ hmmm........ maybe Long Beach?

Long Beach is a really small airport that only takes the smaller "Commuter" type flights so depending on where poster is they might not be able to fly into Long Beach. LAX is close by and flights there are cheaper and readily available.

Long Beach is a really small airport that only takes the smaller "Commuter" type flights so depending on where poster is they might not be able to fly into Long Beach. LAX is close by and flights there are cheaper and readily available.

You're totally WRONG. Long Beach is an international airport and I fly out of there on a regular basis. Alaka Air, Frontier, Delta, Jet Blue, United, US Air. NOT COMMUTER

I would suggest looking at the fares for the airports and see which gets you the best deal.

As for hotels, well, if you can get a good deal for the Queen Mary then you don't have to worry about getting a cab to the port, you're right there and you can, if you get up early enough around 6am, see the Splendor arrive in port......The Queen Mary has enough to see that you could spend an evening exploring the old ship. I stayed there last September and loved it...would do it again!

It is a SMALLER airport with smaller planes. There are not even gates- you have to board your flight by walking outside and up the stairs into the plane. I have flown out of there MANY MANY MANY times but it is not Delta- it is actually SkyWest which operates for Delta- NOT DELTA. The planes hold up to six passengers across. That is a "COMMUTER" plane. You can NOT fly a 747 into Long Beach. Do your research before you make accusations to someone.

http://www.longbeach.gov/airport/airline_travelers/airlines.asp

It is a SMALLER airport with smaller planes. There are not even gates- you have to board your flight by walking outside and up the stairs into the plane. I have flown out of there MANY MANY MANY times but it is not Delta- it is actually SkyWest which operates for Delta- NOT DELTA. The planes hold up to six passengers across. That is a "COMMUTER" plane. You can NOT fly a 747 into Long Beach. Do your research before you make accusations to someone.

A commuter plane does not hold 6 across. A commuter plane is a turboprop or a regional jet which holds up to 4 across.

Where in the heck are you flying in from that you need a 747? Europe or Asia. They don't fly domestic. And if you know anything about flying, commuters operate about 65%-70% of domestic traffic in this country and leased by major carriers. Don't even start...... I own an airport in New York.

Whoa...hold on Bucky. I've never flown out of Long Beach but did pick up a rental car there. Not impressed with the facility and have no idea what flies into the place. I hate LAX and would do anything to avoid it. Someone mentioned John Wayne which is a nice airport. Someone else mentioned San Diego was "hours" from Long Beach. Not true...I took my son and his wife to Long Beach from here and it took 1.5 hours. IMHO I would fly into John Wayne (if available to you from your originating point) and spend the night onboard the Queen Mary. Very cool place as the other poster passed along.

Op, here is a link to the west coast departure board. It has many posts of the type like you asked, both flight wise and where to stay. We have flown into both LAX and Long beach for Carnival cruises (I would not fly into San Diego for this cruise). They both have their merits and drawbacks. Decide for your self. If you want something a little different in terms of pre cruise hotel look into the Queen Mary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Where in the heck are you flying in from that you need a 747? Europe or Asia. They don't fly domestic. And if you know anything about flying, commuters operate about 65%-70% of domestic traffic in this country and leased by major carriers. Don't even start...... I own an airport in New York.

RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT you "OWN" an airport in New York.

RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT you "OWN" an airport in New York.[/quote

That's right Jen. Private individuals own FBO's and lease the land from the state. Please, don't try and go there. You don't know what your talking about if you choose to try and dispute this. The FBO is in Rochester, NY.

Ok 4 across. Regardless- Long Beach is a commuter airport. New York airport owner thinks its a big international airport that all large planes fly into. Show me one flight where OP can get to Long Beach from Iowa without switching to commuter plane probably in Salt Lake.

OP- cost wise flying into Long Beach will cost more because your flight options will be very limited with more stops.

Ok 4 across. Regardless- Long Beach is a commuter airport. New York airport owner thinks its a big international airport that all large planes fly into. Show me one flight where OP can get to Long Beach from Iowa without switching to commuter plane probably in Salt Lake.

OP- cost wise flying into Long Beach will cost more because your flight options will be very limited with more stops.

Sweetheart, you can't fly to LAX from Iowa either w/out changing planes.

This is true, non stop.

We live locally and we have done it LOTS of times. The most convenient of our airports in SC is Long Beach. Takes you 5 minutes to check-in and when you land you have your bags ready when you get out of the terminal.

Jet Blue, Alaska & American are there, but I have only flown Jet Blue.

I will be doing it again to Seattle for our Alaska trip.!!

I find nothing wrong with John Wayne Airport (Irvine) except that the flights there are late quite often and it is still a good 30 minute ride to the Queen Mary on a non traffic day!

Good Luck OP - but dont be scared of Long Beach!!!

Archived