Juneau - Glacier Gardens - end of May?

Cheryl H

Has anyone been to the gardens end of May? Are there actually things blooming at the start of the season? Or is this garden not really about things blooming?

Looking for something to do that is not whale watching. We may take the shuttle out to Mendenhall.

Thanks for the info.

• 10 months later...
Has anyone been to the gardens end of May? Are there actually things blooming at the start of the season? Or is this garden not really about things blooming?

Looking for something to do that is not whale watching. We may take the shuttle out to Mendenhall.

Thanks for the info.

My husband and I are planning to do this excursion. Did you go and did you enjoy it.

jan

Thanks for the info.

Hi Cheryl,

Got your e-mail -- expect a little something from me later today. :)

With regard to your question on Glacier Gardens, we did this excursion in late May a couple of years ago and there were not a whole lot of flowers blooming at the time. Lots of plants along the wayside of our tour still needed to be planted. When I checked into the website of this excursion I had expected a lot more --- maybe we just hit an off year. I would suggest contacting the Gardens and inquire about the blooms. If there were lots of blooms, it would have been a better excursion for us.

Karen

Thanks everyone. I think I wrote this about a year ago when we were deciding what to do at each port. We switched and are doing the goldmine tour now. Plus the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier.

I think we about decided that Glacier Gardens would pale in comparison to Butchart Gardens in Victoria. But now that Grayline went bankrupt in Victoria, we may not see those gardens either. Oh well. Maybe a carriage ride instead. We're flexible there.

Thanks everyone. I think I wrote this about a year ago when we were deciding what to do at each port. We switched and are doing the goldmine tour now. Plus the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier.

I think we about decided that Glacier Gardens would pale in comparison to Butchart Gardens in Victoria. But now that Grayline went bankrupt in Victoria, we may not see those gardens either. Oh well. Maybe a carriage ride instead. We're flexible there.

You may still be able to get to Butchart Gardens. The following company is doing some tours. It sounds like they are hoping to have more in place by June. Also there are buses to get you to Butchart Gardens. Taxi's are quite costly. I was told in the $60-70 range. I also think the cruise companies must be hustling to find someone to do their tours for them. We will soon find out as the first cruisers head to Alaska.

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/

We're booked for the Butterfly & Butchart Gardens tour through HAL at the end of May. Haven't heard anything about issues with it so far. Did this one through HAL, since the time in port is so short, and Butchart is a ways from downtown Victoria.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly with their transport...will be able to report at the end of the month.

We're booked for the Butterfly & Butchart Gardens tour through HAL at the end of May. Haven't heard anything about issues with it so far. Did this one through HAL, since the time in port is so short, and Butchart is a ways from downtown Victoria.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly with their transport...will be able to report at the end of the month.

Our cruise doesn't actually stop in Victoria this time, but we loved it so much we can't stand the thought of flying so far west and not stopping there. I can't wait to get some Rogers Chocolates from Victoria. (see where my priorities are! Ha!) So we are going to Seattle and taking the ferry up to Victoria for a visit. Then we pop over to Vancouver to catch our ship.

Enjoy your trip. I sure wish our trip would hurry up and get here.

Archived