gct rooms

theduktor

Cabins are small,balcony cabins even smaller(balcony area is just subtracted from your total cabin). We found the cabins to be more than adequate, though we spent very little time there. Our cruise was in December so balcony was a non-issue.

Beds were quite comfortable

I agree - room is small but very doable. Shower is a walkin and rather large for the size of the room. Storage is great. Beds were very comfortable although we didn't like the separate beds. We just let the beds down all day because the sofa was not comfortable and we would take a rest when we were in our room.

I totally agree with the above 2 posts. I am 6'2" and have been on seven GCT river cruises. I have never had any problems with the beds. The only time I'm in the room is to sleep or shower/clean-up so the size has not been a problem. Some people do not like the fold down twin beds. If you desire a larger (queensize) bed look into AMA or Avalon.

can anyone tell me about the rooms and the beds on the crand circle ships. we are thinking of a river cruise on the harmony. there is concern about bed comfort and room size.

thanks

We just finished a trip on the Rhine & Mosel with Grand Circle and had no problems with the room or bed. I believe the rooms on most riverboats are near 150 square feet more or less.

I think there is an advantage to Grand Circle’s fold down beds. They don’t take up any portion of the overall footage of the room as a regular bed would. When you only have 150 square feet of space, every foot counts.

We found the storage space adequate.

Just remember to take half the clothes you think you will need and twice the money.

We just finished a trip on the Rhine & Mosel with Grand Circle and had no problems with the room or bed. I believe the rooms on most riverboats are near 150 square feet more or less.

I think there is an advantage to Grand Circle’s fold down beds. They don’t take up any portion of the overall footage of the room as a regular bed would. When you only have 150 square feet of space, every foot counts.

Just remember to take half the clothes you think you will need and twice the money.

Your commit about less clothes and more money?? Is the money because of the Euro or I've heard that GCT nickels and dimes you. How True??

Your commit about less clothes and more money?? Is the money because of the Euro or I've heard that GCT nickels and dimes you. How True??

About the money. Currently, the dollar is stronger against the Euro. Approx. 17% more now than it was when we visited the Mediterranean last December. The main reason for my saying more money was because of time you will be spending in all the towns and villages. There will be temptations to “buy” everywhere.

About being nickel and dimed by GCT. I didn’t notice there being any more than usual. They are the same as any company. If they don’t sell anything they make no money.

As for the clothes. River cruising is not the same as cruising on the big ships. It’s much more laid back and relaxed. No need for formal clothes of any type. Mix and match is the way to go.

The cabins on Avalon and AMA are 172 sq ft with queen size beds.

• 4 weeks later...
can anyone tell me about the rooms and the beds on the crand circle ships. we are thinking of a river cruise on the harmony. there is concern about bed comfort and room size.

thanks

Although the rooms are small, we never felt crowded. Our problem with the beds is easily corrected. They are made up with your head close to the window. This puts your head near the air vent. I found this is irritating and noisy. I asked that our beds be made in reverse.....head to bathroom wall or closet wall.....much quieter and nothing blowing on my face.

I'd be more concerned with location. The rooms near the thruster are very noisy....day and night.

• 1 month later...
Although the rooms are small, we never felt crowded. Our problem with the beds is easily corrected. They are made up with your head close to the window. This puts your head near the air vent. I found this is irritating and noisy. I asked that our beds be made in reverse.....head to bathroom wall or closet wall.....much quieter and nothing blowing on my face.

I'd be more concerned with location. The rooms near the thruster are very noisy....day and night.

Could you tell me what a thruster is, and what rooms would be near it. I'll be going on River Aria in 3 weeks. Grand Circle will not tell me what room I have. It is on the top deck of rooms. I would hate to be stuck with noise.

Could you tell me what a thruster is, and what rooms would be near it. I'll be going on River Aria in 3 weeks. Grand Circle will not tell me what room I have. It is on the top deck of rooms. I would hate to be stuck with noise.

Don't be concerned. There is no bothersome noise from thrusters on the top deck. All of the top deck is generally quiet.

Thrusters are in the bow and stern on both sides of the ship below the water line. They are used to position the ship basically from the sides. You will see them in use as soon as the ship get ready to leave the pier.....look down at the water, pier side. With their force, the ship will be pushed away from the pier. Cabins on the lower decks in the bow and the stern are those that are effected by thruster noise.

Don't be concerned. There is no bothersome noise from thrusters on the top deck. All of the top deck is generally quiet.

Thrusters are in the bow and stern on both sides of the ship below the water line. They are used to position the ship basically from the sides. You will see them in use as soon as the ship get ready to leave the pier.....look down at the water, pier side. With their force, the ship will be pushed away from the pier. Cabins on the lower decks in the bow and the stern are those that are effected by thruster noise.

Thank you so much. You've just relieved my mind.

Archived