Flight question

awesome2010

Hello all,

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise on the Epic in January. I'm trying to arrange our flight and found a really good deal on a flight that departs at noon from Miami airport. The itinerary shows that the ship will arrive in Miami at 8 am. Do you more experienced cruisers think that will be enough time to make it to the airport for the noon flight?

Thanks for your help!

I am booked on an 11.50 flight following my Epic cruise in November. I was on the Pearl in 2008 and making no special effort to get off the ship early (had a 4pm flight) was at Miami Int for just after 9am. If you carry off your own bags and go as soon as the ship clears customs i don't see it being an issue - Hopefully they'll have ironed out any issues with disembarking the extra people by the time we're on her!!

I am booked on an 11.50 flight following my Epic cruise in November. I was on the Pearl in 2008 and making no special effort to get off the ship early (had a 4pm flight) was at Miami Int for just after 9am. If you carry off your own bags and go as soon as the ship clears customs i don't see it being an issue - Hopefully they'll have ironed out any issues with disembarking the extra people by the time we're on her!!

We usually make reservations for a later flight (like around 2 or 3) that way we don't have to rush, don't have to worry if the ship is late and also get to let the crowds get off the ship so it is easier debarkation. But if you can get a really good deal on a flight, I say go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am dealing with the same issue...trying to pick a return time home. The one I think I might go with is at 12:30. I'm hoping this is enough time to make it there without having to rush too bad and worrying about making it there on time to check in luggage (and of course ourselves). My only other option seems to be a time around 3pm...but the delay over wouldn't put me in my home state until around 11pm :eek:...which I DON'T want. The 12:30 one puts me here at around 5:30pm.

If you happen to miss the plane for some reason...what are you options?

Debarkation "officially" starts at 10 according to NCL, but I know people have gotten off earlier. If you can't get off the ship, get your bags and get through customs by 10am I think you're pushing it.

Since Epic has yet to cruise out of Miami, none of us can credibly state how disembarkation will go. However, based on experience on the Pearl, I would not hesitate to book the flight you want. You should make it to MIA with plenty of time to spare.

I don't care for the POM facilities, but if you carry your bags off the ship, you will be in a cab w/in minutes and just a short ride to MIA.

Enjoy.

Debarkation "officially" starts at 10 according to NCL, but I know people have gotten off earlier. If you can't get off the ship, get your bags and get through customs by 10am I think you're pushing it.

When you say get your bags and get through customs by 10am, are you talking about the ship? Or the airport? Also looking at the air flight schedules, to book a later trip that would take FOREVER to get back home actually cost A LOT more.:eek: :(

Since Epic has yet to cruise out of Miami, none of us can credibly state how disembarkation will go. However, based on experience on the Pearl, I would not hesitate to book the flight you want. You should make it to MIA with plenty of time to spare.

I don't care for the POM facilities, but if you carry your bags off the ship, you will be in a cab w/in minutes and just a short ride to MIA.

Enjoy.

I've always drove down for all my cruises in the past. So, this will be a new experience for me with taking the plane instead. How bad is the MIA? I remember being a child, going somewhere with my parents, and we stopped at Atlanta to catch a second plane and it was HORRENDOUS! It was such a huge airport and running from one end to the other to catch the next flight in time. I'm hoping that MIA is not as bad.

Again, if you did happen to miss your flight, what happens? Is it up to you to book and pay for another because you couldn't get off the ship in time? :eek:

I meant customs at the port, not check-in at the airport. For a noon flight I'd want to be leaving the port area by 10ish, getting to the airport by 10:30 and through security by 11ish. I understand that saturdays are busy at MIA due to cruise ship arrivals, so security can take a bit longer than other days.

Our flight leaves at 12:20 now.. Airline changed the time...We should be able to make our flight with no problem correct??

On our previous cruises any of our flights later than 12:30 seemed like we were waiting around for hours at the airport. our last cruise we were some of the last off the ship and waiting at the airport by 11am at our gate...However we are flying out of ft lauderdale and this time coming out of the POM. Never had a problem before in previous cruises but this is my 1st NCL cruise..so wondering if they would be any different.

Our flight leaves at 12:20 now.. Airline changed the time...We should be able to make our flight with no problem correct??

On our previous cruises any of our flights later than 12:30 seemed like we were waiting around for hours at the airport. our last cruise we were some of the last off the ship and waiting at the airport by 11am at our gate...However we are flying out of ft lauderdale and this time coming out of the POM. Never had a problem before in previous cruises but this is my 1st NCL cruise..so wondering if they would be any different.

I would talk to someone on the ship about the best/easiest way to get off early. I suspect you'll be able to get off before the announced 10am time. Between 8am and 10am they offload luggage, so your best option for rolling out earlier is to have your bags with you (and packing light, of course!)

Archived