Can you stand another Dream review? (and more pictures)

So we find ourselves in Magen's Bay. I'm excited because this is a world-renowned beach and I have never been there. It is calm, the weather is decent, and life is good at this point! :D DS is incredibly grumpy and only wants to go to the ship, but he does loosen up a little as the time passed. DD, not surprisingly, heads straight for the water, and her daddy gets in with her. There were a few fish swimming around, and someone pulled out a starfish - very cool! It was beautiful, but I didn't get a picture, as I was honestly hoping the people would put it back and leave it alone as quickly as possible (I think they did).

We swam for a little bit, and no one bothered us at all. That was nice! It was just a laid-back and happy atmosphere!

403.jpg

DD loved it!

405.jpg

After a short swim, I walked to the restaurant to order us some lunch. I got a very large pizza, half cheese, half pepperoni (enough for all 4 of us to be stuffed) for about $20. While it was cooking, I walked to the bar area and ordered a margarita for me and a beer for DH. The bartender was busy and took a long time to notice me (he helped a few new arrivals before me). But, worse, he was not very nice. When I go to a bar area, especially while on vacation, I like it when the bartenders are lighthearted and fun...maybe even a little flirty (a mom has to have fun sometimes!). This guy was NOT. I asked for a margarita on the rocks and a beer. His response was "we have more than one kind of beer here." Now, I am not a beer drinker (at all), but I know DH likes to try new ones, so I ask, "do you have anything local?" Bartender: "we don't make beer in St. Thomas. Our selection is over there..." (pointing to a row of cans). Okay, dude...just give me a Corona. He did not get a big tip.

Back to the grill just in time to pick up a hot pizza...and down the beach I go. Everybody felt better after we ate...well, not so much DS, but he did agree to walk around with mom and get a few pictures.

No mo' trouble!!!

406.jpg

408.jpg

The water here was clear enough that we could see the fish swimming around us!

410.jpg

and then my camera broke...

would you recommend this beach for 15 and 17 yr old boys? undecided between coki and megans--:rolleyes:

I have to tell you, I would recommend Magen's Bay primarily for this reason...both times that I have been to St. Thomas, we were driven past Coki beach...and both times it looked a little rough. Not only that, but both times we saw what appeared to be a drug exchange going on. This time, one of the people on our tour pointed it out. In all fairness, I may be misjudging -I'm going by what I THINK I saw...but I have to say Coki beach made me uncomfortable both times. (By the way, I had forgotten since the first time that it was Coki beach that we had ridden through the first time...that's why I had considered it this visit). Also, to be fair, some people who were travelling with us (including our table mates) went to Coki and enjoyed it very much. They did not see any drug stuff going on. They did say it was very crowded.

I'm not one to say for sure, as I never made it to Coki, but I just don't like the looks of it from the 'outside' (where the cabs drop off).

Sunny's bus showed up right at 4 to pick us up. I had hoped to stay a little longer at the beach, and I had asked him about that in our correspondence before the cruise. He told me it would be fine, but then on Tuesday, he said "oh, two hours will be long enough!" So, we got on the bus and headed to Coki and then Sapphire to pick up the rest of our group. Sunny was very quiet with our small group from Magen's bay (maybe 6 people)...no more singing and dancing :(. He was still quiet after we rode through Coki beach and picked up a few people who were supposed to be on a different bus (someone else had apparently already picked up our group at Coki). On the way to Sapphire Beach, there was some road construction that held us up a bit, and it was pretty clear that Sunny was not happy about it. But, before long, we were on our way again. We picked up the rest of our group, and we got the "old" Sunny back. It was a short trip to the ship, and he played music for us again.

When we returned to port, Sunny dropped off a large number of people at another Carnival ship, and after we asked, he said he would carry us closer to our ship. He did, and we got in the shorter line again (don't forget to look as you arrive). After a cheerful 'farewell' we got back on the ship pretty quickly. (By the way, Sunny has since sent me an email to send good wishes and ask if the tour was okay...nice touch!).

We were on the ship before 5, so we showered quickly and guess what?? :rolleyes: Nap time! We took about an hour nap or so and got up in time to dress for dinner. Once again, we missed all the exciting things going on around the ship.

I can't remember what we had that night (sorry!). I looked at the menu someone else posted to try to "jog" my memory, but it doesn't match what I remember! Man, this is horrible! :( Hey, mom2girls! Help!

I do know that after dinner, we went to the show, Dancing in the Streets. I remember I carried the last glass of my bottle of wine (THAT's why I don't know what I ate!), and that DH took DD back to the room to go to bed. DS went with me to the show (only because he wanted to hang out with mom2girls' beautiful daughters!). The show was really good, and DS was happy that there were lasers near the end, because he was upset with me for making him miss the real laser show that plays to Rush and Pink Floyd. After the show, we walked back to the room and crashed, knowing we would have to get up a little early for St. Marteen. We had an exciting day planned (more exciting than we knew)...but you will have to wait until tomorrow to hear about it! It's bedtime for the kids. Thanks for sticking with me!

Oh, one last picture...our towel animal. I actually took this pic the next day, after I got the camera working again! Is this a frog or a turtle?

421.jpg

Loving your review so far and your kids are adorable! Looks like a good time was had by all.

But this...:eek: I wish I could find the puking emoticon:

On a positive note' date=' other than our neighbors ~details to come~ this guy was the only oh-so-rude one we encountered the whole trip. Well, there was the guy who popped his 20-something daughter's back pimples at the table in the buffet one morning (later in the week) despite her loud objections which only succeeded in garnering the attention of everyone around them just in time to see him use his knife to help and his napkin to 'clean up'. Ugh. Sanitation, people...come on!

[/quote']

Loving your review so far and your kids are adorable! Looks like a good time was had by all.

But this...:eek: I wish I could find the puking emoticon:

Thanks for the compliments. And about the disgusting guy...I don't think I've ever seen anything so gross in the buffet area. He really ruined my appetite. And to make things worse, I saw him all over the ship afterwards. :( He even got in front of me at the buffet one time late in the week. We had to change lines.

AH!!!! And I just realized you are from Greenville!!! :D We are in Winterville! Hello' date=' neighbor!!![/quote']

Our address is Winterville, but we actually live in Greenville off Thomas Langston Road. Small World.

Thanks for posting your review! I can't wait to read more!!! I am truly in need of a cruise and your review is helping me to feel like I am right there with you! Your children are adorable and I so appreciate your candid descriptions.

To those of you contemplating writing a review.....PLEASE go ahead and do it!!! The more reviews written about a particular sailing the better!!

One of the good things about booking the Blue Lagoon through the cruise ship on a day it is closed is that' date=' as you can tell, it was not very crowded. Most of the island is now inaccessible (sadly for us) and still showing serious destruction from the hurricane, so visitors are basically limited to the lagoon area for swimming. Even so, it did not feel crowded at all, and the lagoon really provides an ideal beach setting for very small kids. Nice...

[img']http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/pmain13/Carnival%20Dream%20June%202010/300.jpg[/img]

and the views are pretty. This bridge used to be accessible, but it isn't anymore. The ocean is on the other side.

306.jpg

We swam for a little while and then walked around a bit. The paths on the eastern side of the island that used to go to the ocean are all blocked off, but there was one boardwalk near the grill that provided ocean access.

315.jpg

There was a very small beach oceanside, but it was so rocky and shallow, you can't really swim there at all.

316.jpg

We took our kids there in '96 - wow what a difference :(

Ha!!! Thanks. We are indeed a sleepy family...but one of the best things about cruising is we can choose to do that (and there is time to) without feeling bad at all. We leave feeling relaxed and happy...it is all good. :D

Now' date=' we did Disney over spring break...NOT a vacation, but an adventure! :cool: We left there exhausted![/quote']

I know just what you mean. DH and I are Disney people. We always go there for our vacations. The cruise is a new thing for us. We're hoping it will be a little more restful than tromping around the parks all day. I can't imagine how exhausting it must be with children in tow! :p

MORE!! MORE!!!! We are going on the Dream July 17th with my In-laws and three kids! Cannot wait! We are taking Sunny's Tour as well and Bernard's. I am soooo excited! But I am pretty confrontational and would have said something to the rude neighbors and to the disgusting guy picking his daughter's zits. I lost my lunch just reading about it. People can be sooo rude and gross! Great review and darling kids!

I simply am loving your review! I'm doing the Eastern on her in Sept, so I am also a Dream Junkie. Thanks for all your time in posting a great review! Is there a charge to use the Santuary?

when in sept ??? we sail the 25th

would you recommend this beach for 15 and 17 yr old boys? undecided between coki and megans--:rolleyes:

saphire beach is also beautiful

and on st maarten Pinel Island was nice for adults lol not the place for 15 to 17 yo boys it wasnt listed as a topless beach but is

Thanks for your feedback about your Blue Lagoon experience. It is so nice to hear from someone who has been on an excursion that we are thinking about. We may look for something more active for our teenagers.

I am really enjoying your review and like that it is really balanced and honest.

Thanks for your feedback about your Blue Lagoon experience. It is so nice to hear from someone who has been on an excursion that we are thinking about. We may look for something more active for our teenagers.

I am really enjoying your review and like that it is really balanced and honest.

Oh you tease us! :p I'm loving this review. You make me want to book the Dream myself!

Thanks!

Archived