Can you stand another Dream review? (and more pictures)

As we were arriving in Nassau, the Imagination was leaving. As you can probably tell from the pictures, the Oasis of the Seas was in port. We ended up travelling alongside her throughout the cruise...crazy thing...she seemed to leave after us at each port but arrived before us every time! Oh, and yes indeed, she is huge!

284.jpg

Finally, we docked and I convinced the family that they may want a bite to eat before getting off the ship. We headed to the buffet, and the line was a little long but not too bad. Thankfully, it moved pretty quickly. There was this one incredibly rude guy who decided he wanted some potatoes, so he pushed his way in between my family, stood over DD while scooping out a bowl full, dropping an onion piece right by her head, and then looked at me with a "now what?" expression as he walked off, never having said anything to excuse himself. On a positive note, other than our neighbors ~details to come~ this guy was the only oh-so-rude one we encountered the whole trip. Well, there was the guy who popped his 20-something daughter's back pimples at the table in the buffet one morning (later in the week) despite her loud objections which only succeeded in garnering the attention of everyone around them just in time to see him use his knife to help and his napkin to 'clean up'. Ugh. Sanitation, people...come on!

The buffet offered the usual morning stuff - fruit, yogurt, pancakes, roasted potatoes, scrambled eggs, sliced ham, sausage links with onions, cereals, pastries such as cinnamon buns - but not yummy homemade-like ones, juice and coffee. It was good enough. After that, we went back to the room long enough to brush teeth and grab beach bags before heading to the front of the ship, deck 0 to get off. Okay...let me give you a tip...if you find yourself trying to "save time" by taking the stairs to deck 0, don't bother. We took the elevator (which is rare for us), and the interesting thing is that it opened up at deck 1 where we saw a crowd of people trying to get down the steps but not moving at all. Our elevator continued to deck 0, where we walked right off the ship very quickly.

As I mentioned before, I had booked Carnival's Blue Lagoon excursion, despite my frustration at knowing we were paying too much. Here is my rationale (bear with me as I make myself feel better for a moment). DH and I went to Blue Lagoon years and years ago before the hurricane and we LOVED it. It was paradise. At that time, you could walk all over the island as well as enjoy the bridges, hammocks, etc. You could swim ocean side or lagoon side. We thought it would be perfect for the kids...so when I began looking at excursions, I tried to book it privately. I quickly discovered the Blue Lagoon is closed on Sundays and the only way to get there is through cruise excursions (at twice the price). I decided to bite the bullet and book through Carnival because the Nassau day was a very short day, and I wanted some assurance that my family would not miss the ship at our first stop~this ended up being a challenge still (more to come). Plus, I wanted to go for old times' sake. Plus, DD was "free" since she was under 4. I convinced myself this was like getting a 25% discount. :rolleyes:

After getting off the ship and pausing for pictures on the gangway and again with some 'character' (can't remember if it was the pirate, the cha-cha girl or what), we found the line for our excursion very easily. We got wristbands and then waited about 15 minutes for the group to be led to the ferry to take us to the Blue Lagoon. My little family wasn't paying attention, so we almost missed it as we followed the wrong crowd (isn't that the way it always goes...). Lucky for us a nice tour guide lady noticed our error and kindly pointed out that our tour group had gone straight while our family had not...back to the correct line we go. We got on a double-deck ferry with a bar (decent prices - 2 rum punch-like drinks for $5).

It was a nice ride...

286.jpg

The ride was just long enough and calm enough to coat the kids in sunscreen on the way. We saw lots of really nice yachts and the Atlantis, of course.

285.jpg

After about 20 minutes or so, we arrived at the Blue Lagoon, and DD got very excited about the pretty water, the calm beach, and the colorful water toys.

291.jpg

She was so excited that as soon as she got off the ferry, she practically ran off the dock, sat in the sand to pull off her shoes, and was heading to the water before we could catch up to her or put her suit on.

292.jpg

We got her situated, found chairs with an umbrella, set our stuff down, and went in the lagoon. The water was warm and clear...simply wonderful! It wasn't too deep, and where we were sitting, DS could walk all the way across.

298.jpg

301.jpg

There were some fish, including a small group of young baracuda that came through (about a foot long each). Lots and lots of tiny fish just swarmed around us most of the time.

One of the good things about booking the Blue Lagoon through the cruise ship on a day it is closed is that, as you can tell, it was not very crowded. Most of the island is now inaccessible (sadly for us) and still showing serious destruction from the hurricane, so visitors are basically limited to the lagoon area for swimming. Even so, it did not feel crowded at all, and the lagoon really provides an ideal beach setting for very small kids. Nice...

300.jpg

and the views are pretty. This bridge used to be accessible, but it isn't anymore. The ocean is on the other side.

306.jpg

We swam for a little while and then walked around a bit. The paths on the eastern side of the island that used to go to the ocean are all blocked off, but there was one boardwalk near the grill that provided ocean access.

315.jpg

There was a very small beach oceanside, but it was so rocky and shallow, you can't really swim there at all.

316.jpg

Our family is on the Eastern July 17th sailing so your review has gotten me OVER EXCITED!!! I need MORE!!! AWESOME JOB!!!!

I simply am loving your review! I'm doing the Eastern on her in Sept, so I am also a Dream Junkie. Thanks for all your time in posting a great review! Is there a charge to use the Santuary?

Thank you both! We really had a great time, and I am happy to share (and live it again). There is lots more to come!

cruzkitty, (sorry, I'm confused) if you are talking about the serenity area on the ship, there is no charge and it is fabulous! If you are talking about something else, let me know :o

The island has lots of hermit crabs...

312.jpg

313.jpg

they were pretty. There were also a lot of seagulls and other birds, especially around the grill. We got a laugh out of one that was apparently a picky eater. Someone had dropped a bbq chip, and he tasted it but clearly didn't like it. He also dipped his bill in someone's fruit punch they had left...didn't like it either.

After walking around a bit, DS really really really wanted to get on a paddle boat. I really really didn't want to pay for it ($15 for half an hour), but he convinced me, so DS and DH went off to rent one. They enjoyed it, so it was okay.

319.jpg

DD and I went to the slightly deeper part of the lagoon and she enjoyed floating around

321.jpg

When the half hour was up, we went to the grill to pick up our lunch. They offered a choice of cheeseburger, hamburger, hot dog, or chicken sandwich (I think) along with chips (plain, bbq or one other), an apple, and fruit punch (3 kinds). It was a tasty lunch (despite the picky seagull's distaste). As we were eating, I knew it was getting close to time to head to the ferry. They had told us to load up at 12:15 and the boat was leaving at 12:30. But, I saw other people with Carnival towels still around, so no worries, right?

I walked with DS to the restrooms after lunch and asked a guy I passed what time it was...he told me 12:21!!! :eek: DH and DD were still at the grill, DS was in the potty (and he is just like his father as far as moving quickly), and all our stuff was still on the beach quite a ways away. This began the sprint of the day. I got DS to come out and we ran to the grill. I picked up DD and ran for the beach chair, grabbed her towel and shoes and whatever else I could carry. DH and DS were behind me to pick up the rest. I then ran down the beach carrying DD, our towels and shoes, and the camera bag - what a workout (not to mention the sight we probably created~I know some people live for getting to see these things)! DS passed me and ran up to the dock to tell the ferry to wait for us. We barely made it. So much for reassurance that we wouldn't get left behind.

(by the way, if you happened to be on that ferry...sorry. I swear we really are usually very responsible people who would never hold up a group because of our getting "lost in time" on a wonderful island. And, I would like to point out there was one couple that got on behind us. Yes, I know she was crippled and has a better excuse, but still!)

Goodbye Blue Lagoon...thanks for a great day!

311.jpg

All right, I have to take a break. The kids are begging me to fix them some lunch, and since I do not have dining service, a buffet set up, or room service available at home, I guess I've got to get my lazy butt up and fix them something. :rolleyes: Reality is so unfair sometimes. And, get this, after lunch, I have to go buy groceries! UGH. No one stocked my kitchen while I was gone. :mad:

I'll try to come back later this afternoon to continue!

Oh I am loving this...We are going on the Dream August 7th and my kids are counting down the days. My DS is 3 and my DD is 6. I also have a DS that is 15. If your kids did Camp Carnival at all, let us know...

Keep it coming...I am getting no work done today, but I love it.

Thanks so much for this review. I am really enjoying it. As others have said, there are few Eastern Dream reviews, and I am enjoying all of the ones going right now.

Also thinking about the Blue Lagoon excursion, but our kids are older, they will be 16 and 13. Did you see any teenagers there? Do you think that this would be a fun place for them? It looks a bit tamer than I imagined from other reviews, and perfect for younger kids like yours. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Loving your review I was going to write one but I do not want to overload people.

please??? When you were waiting for your turn was there any such thing as too many reviews and pictures? Of course not!:D

All right' date=' I have to take a break. The kids are begging me to fix them some lunch, ![/quote']

Can't starve the kiddos! You have a beautiful family, and I'm looking forward to the rest of your review.

Thanks for taking the time and posting your Dream review. My wife and I (leaving our 3 children with Grandma and Grandpa) are sailing 10-9-10 on the Dream. Most of the Dream reviews I have read are off different ports than we are sailing to, so I am really looking forward to reading more of yours.

Greg:D

Your children are adorable. Looks like a very nice time.

I'm glad you shared. We are booked on DCL for next Christmas, but the Carnival Magic is coming to Galveston so we are considering a switch. Cheaper & easier commute for us. The pic of your stateroom helped a lot - as I was curious if a balcony room would be big enough for us.

So for entertainment & selfish trip planning reasons - I have enjoyed your thread.

Thank you.

All right' date=' I have to take a break. The kids are begging me to fix them some lunch, and since I do not have dining service, a buffet set up, or room service available at home, I guess I've got to get my lazy butt up and fix them something. :rolleyes: Reality is so unfair sometimes. And, get this, after lunch, I have to go buy groceries! UGH. No one stocked my kitchen while I was gone. :mad:

I'll try to come back later this afternoon to continue![/quote']

Wow Summercruisin'! This is better than a novel, one chapter at a time. We sail July 31st with the same itinerary and I am enjoying your review...put a movie in for the kids and keep it comin'! :D

Hi everybody! Sorry for the delay. My router decided to quit working, so I'm having to plug in the laptop to get online. :mad: No big deal, just frustrating. But, I'm back for a while.

First to respond to my visitors / answer a few questions...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. My wife and I are really enjoying reading it. I like your sense of humor too. We'll be sailing on the Dream in January.

Thank you! I have been called cynical and yet witty many times...some people are put off by it :rolleyes: and others are amused. I am often too honest, which is particularly challenging in my career (high school teacher).

Oh I am loving this...We are going on the Dream August 7th and my kids are counting down the days. My DS is 3 and my DD is 6. I also have a DS that is 15. If your kids did Camp Carnival at all, let us know...

Keep it coming...I am getting no work done today, but I love it.

Thanks! Your LOs are going to have a blast! They are at great ages! I will be talking about Camp Carnival today :). Who needs to work in the summer, anyway? :p

Thanks so much for this review. I am really enjoying it. As others have said, there are few Eastern Dream reviews, and I am enjoying all of the ones going right now.

Also thinking about the Blue Lagoon excursion, but our kids are older, they will be 16 and 13. Did you see any teenagers there? Do you think that this would be a fun place for them? It looks a bit tamer than I imagined from other reviews, and perfect for younger kids like yours. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'm having a great time writing it!

Blue Lagoon, for us, was perfect and definitely tame. There were a few teenagers there, but the majority of the small crowd was "older" people (my age - 39 and I'm stickin' to it! :p). The water toys would entertain the teens for a little bit, but they cost extra. I guess whether or not your teens would enjoy it depends on what kind of day they want. If they are good with just a calm beach day, sitting in the sun, swinging in a hammock to cool off, texting if mom lets them (probably expensive, though), climbing over rocks to get to long stretches of sand with no one else around, and maybe playing a bit of table tennis, this would be great. If they want to do the more active days, like riding jet skis, hanging out with lots of kids their age, snorkeling and real swimming, this would not be the place for them.

We had two fairly busy days coming up (as you will see if you stick with me), so this slow day was perfect for us!

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for taking the time and posting your Dream review. My wife and I (leaving our 3 children with Grandma and Grandpa) are sailing 10-9-10 on the Dream. Most of the Dream reviews I have read are off different ports than we are sailing to, so I am really looking forward to reading more of yours.

Greg:D

Wow Summercruisin'! This is better than a novel, one chapter at a time. We sail July 31st with the same itinerary and I am enjoying your review...put a movie in for the kids and keep it comin'! :D

Thank you all...these things keep me going!

Archived