Can you stand another Dream review? (and more pictures)

Okay, so Wednesday was St. Maarten day. I have been to Nassau before and St. Thomas before, but never St. Maarten, so I was excited. I had checked into numerous possibilities for things to do...wanted to go to Maho beach to see the planes land, but DS said he couldn't handle it. :( (I've only recently learned to trust his call on these things!)

Finally, I narrowed my choices to Bernard's tour or Capt. Alan's 3 island tour. I posted a request for opinions on the St. Maarten board :) and got about 50/50 feedback - everybody who has done these seems to have loved it. So, my final rationale was that we had scheduled an island tour for St. Thomas, so let's do something a little different for St. Maarten...Capt. Alan's tour it was! Captain Alan's webpage offers to allow us to "escape the crowds" for "the best snorkeling." They say they go to two reefs and two island stops (not sure why that doesn't match the title). The webpage offers exceptional/professional equipment, boats with music that will "take you in comfort" to the stops, and lots of fun. Some of that is true.

But first...when we got up, it was overcast, and I was little nervous as the weather channel suggested it may rain.

423.jpg

But, I tried to keep up a positive attitude. Rushed the family to the buffet as we docked...and lookee there...the Oasis is in port!

438.jpg

We ate a quick breakfast, as we had to meet a taxi driver to go to a small dock to meet Capt. Alan. The correspondence was a little unclear. One thing told us to meet at 8:30, another at 8:15, and still a third place didn't say when but did say to get there about 15 minutes early. :confused: So, we ate breakfast (the usual fare) and headed off the ship as quickly as possible. Here she is in port...

442.jpg

The port in St. Maarten is pretty....colorful and open-feeling. We met a less-than-friendly guy at the information booth and after standing there with him for about 10 minutes, he informs us that he is our taxi driver and we should follow him (not sure what the hold-up was, as we were his only passengers). He drives us about 15 minutes or so to the dock.

When we get to the dock, we are met by Captain Alan, who tells us the water is a little rough today, and asks how we feel about that. I had read reviews that mentioned the rough water, so I knew that was a possibility. I told him DS might be nervous, as that was to be expected, but we would make do - DH and I have been on many small boats, including in rough water, so we knew we would be okay. He says the "rough part" will only last about 15-20 minutes, and then it is all smooth from there...no problem.

So, we pay the rest of our money, get our flippers, and head to the boat. Capt. Alan's boat is a nice one...not very large, about 30-35 feet long, with twin engines. We stowed our belongings in a 'cabinet' under the steering wheel and gauges, and we settled in with the kids in the back of the boat, knowing the front is not for us in rough water! Out of the bay we go...

and are met with, seriously, like 8-10 foot waves!!! :eek: Oh my...waves were breaking over the boat front and sides and were bigger than the boat most of the time. I give the kids dramamine (they get carsick, so I knew this was not good), and watch DS thinking he is going to have a breakdown any time. He sat in the very back and actually handled it quite well. I could tell he was very nervous, as he started his nervous tics he has, but he didn't freak out, so that was wonderful. However, DD DID freak out. Poor thing. It was so pitiful. I ended up sitting on the floor of the boat holding her against me and trying to distract her with a story, a song, counting, whatever...all the while thinking I really suck as a mom for this one! She cried and wailed and clung to me...for the hour or so it took to get to calm water....yeah, I said hour or so...it was NOT 15-20 minutes. :mad: You will note I do not have pictures of this wonderful experience...that is because we were getting SOAKED and hanging on!

Finally, we go to the first snorkel spot, but the driver tells us that it is too rough and visibility is not so great here. So we go to another one that is close by. Finally, a break from the rough ride! I was relieved to get this break, so I put on the very average quality snorkel gear (after they cleaned it with toothpaste and dish detergent) and jumped in. After I snorkeled a bit (and saw lots of fish and an awesome eagle ray!), I talked DS into getting in.

446.jpg

He floated around a bit, which is a huge accomplishment for him, and then got back in the boat. DD floated around a little with me as well. We stayed in this snorkel spot about 20 minutes or so and then headed to Happy Bay. This is a very pretty beach. I think the driver said the only way to get there was by boat, but I doubted that, as there were houses nearby.

451.jpg

453.jpg

458.jpg

At this stop, the tour guides offered us a mud bath, which really was just a bucket of some kind of sand they brought along and then mixed with the water to make slop. Now, for a three-year-old, this is lots of fun...

464.jpg

I tried a little bit, and I will admit, although it did feel very awkward slathering slop from a bucket on my skin, it did indeed make my skin feel softer for a little while. We hung out on this beach for a little bit, and the kids enjoyed it (thank goodness it gave DD a chance to play, relax, and, most important...smile!)

468.jpg

Here is a photo of the boat and two of the three crewmembers sent with us as guides...

469.jpg

Now, I have to give the guides some credit. First, the driver worked hard to make it as safe as he could (although he did not offer to give my children life vests for the ride, which really bothered me later, especially with my incredible guilty momconscience that often rears its ugly head--I should have insisted, I know!) Second, at the stops, the guides worked with my DS and helped him make the big step of getting in the water. They were very friendly and outgoing, and they also offered to watch my LOs in the boat while DH and I snorkeled (we did not take them up on it under the circumstances...one of us stayed with the kids at all times).

After a little while on the island, we got back on the boat and headed to the 2nd snorkeling spot. Here we were over a reef. There wasn't as much to see, really...or maybe I was just getting tired. The guide that jumped in first to check visibility said he saw sea turtles, but no one else got so lucky. The coral was beautiful, and there were some large fish swimming around. I did see lots of beautiful jet-black urchins. We didn't stay here a very long time, which was fine with me, as I had promised DD we would be going to another beach where she could play. We did head to the next spot with gorgeous shallow blue water, beautiful sand, colorful umbrellas and buildings, lovely trees...

471.jpg

beautiful views...

472.jpg

They anchored the boat and we got in the very warm water...and then literally right about the time it took to walk to the beach (we had anchored a little way out), the guide told us it was time to go. :( We got to stay a whole 5 minutes tops. Not cool.

So, back in the boat we go, with poor DD not happy that she didn't get any beach time.

474.jpg

I swear I thought Capt. Alan had told us that the ride back would be calm, as it would be a different direction from that which we had come. I guess I heard wrong, because once again...back through the 8-10 foot waves we go. :( By now DD was mercifully exhausted, so we sat on the seat, I held her tight, and she sucked on her fingers until she fell asleep despite the wild ride. It did seem to be a slightly shorter ride, at least the rough part, but still.

We got back to the dock and were met by our next taxi driver, Bob. Now, Bob was much different from the taxi guy we had in the morning. Bob was friendly, talkative, and well...a little overwhelming. We had prearranged that the taxi company would take us to the Capt. Alan tour, then to Orient Beach for a few hours, then back to the ship. On the way to Orient Beach, Bob told us all about why we should come back to visit St. Maarten for a whole week and all the things we could do (ie spend money on) and how he would be happy to arrange a whole trip for us if we would just give him a call when we wanted to do it. :rolleyes:

Bob took us to Orient Beach, promising us he would take us to a place with great food and would arrange two chairs and an umbrella for only $5 where "they'll bring drinks right out to you." When we arrived, it was pouring down rain, and Bob parked as close as he possibly could to Pedro's. He then encouraged us to go under the shelter at Pedro's, shooed away some folks sitting at the closest picnic table for us, and started dancing to the karaoke music as if trying to convince us if we would just loosen up life would be good. After the morning we had, we just kinda wanted a moment to breathe and enjoy a beach. DD went straight for the water while DS hung out in Pedro's (afraid to get wet? Ha).

482.jpg

DH got in the water with DD so I could try to help DS settle in. Meanwhile Bob's friend set up two chairs and an umbrella for us (for $10...not sure what happened to $5 :confused:....but whatever. We just wanted them to leave us alone). It stopped raining after a little bit, so I got to look around at this beach that I had heard was sooooooo fabulous.

476.jpg

483.jpg

Okay, so I don't agree. I mean, the beach is okay and all, but I don't know what all the raving is about. As you can tell from the second picture, there is a row of not-so-sturdy-or-fancy "buildings" (I think this may be an exaggeration) just a few yards from the water line, and crammed in the small space between are old chairs and umbrellas and water toys. Maybe we didn't go to the right part.

At the part we were, there were a number of people who tried more than once to get money...let's see, we were offered handmade bags, hair braiding for either me or DD (this lady got clearly irritated that I turned her down), a dose of aloe for our sunburn (this lady was very persistent), and one or two other things...don't know what because by this point we just told people "no thanks" before they could even get it out. There were two little girls who "found" us minutes after we arrived and tried everything they could think of to "earn" money...they offered to sing us a song, babysit DD, teach DS to swim, tell us a joke, do a magic trick, pack up our stuff, take pictures of us, rinse our feet...it went on and on. Finally, after they got exasperated with our responses, they told us sometimes they get paid just to talk to and play with people on the beach. :rolleyes: They were something!

Oh, and, yes, we were near the nude beach. In fact, as far as we could tell, the rock line in the first picture was the dividing line. Now, let me say this did not bother us. I know lots of people are very much against "exposing" (HA!) their children to such, but we are not really strict about that. We don't make a big deal about nudity in our family. We knew in advance that we would be near a nude beach and that all the beaches on the island are topless. We didn't talk about it, and the kids didn't notice until right about the time we were about ready to leave. DS saw a nude couple and started laughing in astonishment but then went on about his business. He missed the one guy that really was kind of funny. This guy came walking up to the rock line and stood there for a good 5 minutes with his hand on his hips looking out across the beach...Think: "I am Superman!" :eek: Now, that was worth laughing about! :D

I went to Pedro's to order up some late lunch....got a cheeseburger for the kids to share and the ribs and chicken plate for DH and me to share. Also got a beer and a margarita (much nicer help from this waitress/bartender...when I said I want a beer, she said "I'll give you the Caribbean one"). I think the total cost was $32. The food didn't take too long, and the waitress packed it up for me in styrofoam plates with lids. I took it out to the beach to eat it, and lo-and-behold, we were soon joined by a begging dog. Seriously??? What is it about this beach? :rolleyes:

DD enjoyed her last bit of time on the beach...and I will say, the sand on this beach was that really nice, powdery, smooth kind. That was nice.

490.jpg

and at about 4, we told Bob we were ready to go back to the ship. The drive back took about 15 minutes, and this time I asked Bob questions about the island, so the information was a little more entertaining.

We got back to the port area and took a few pictures

493.jpg

495.jpg

496.jpg

We got back onboard pretty quickly. Since we still had a little time in port, the lines had not gotten too long yet. We headed to the room, showered, and rested until time to go to dinner.

My dinner experience this night was not so good. I was exhausted, physically and emotionally drained, and actually starting to feel a little yucky (maybe too much sun and high waves?). Even though I didn't feel great, I got dressed and headed to the dining room for dinner. I ordered the fried mozzarella for an appetizer, and it just felt greasy and heavy in my mouth. DH had the potato soup and thought it was very good. I then got a caesar salad, thinking this was a no-lose thing, as I LOVE Carnival's caesar salad (anybody know the recipe for the dressing???). But, I could only stomach about half of it. Then I had ordered the beef stroganoff for my main course, and I swear when it was put in front of me, it looked and smelled like dog food. Not a good choice. Now, I will again impress upon you that I did not feel well, so it was probably just me. I have no idea what DH ordered for his meal. Not long after getting my dinner, I decided to head back to the room. DD was tired, too, so she went with me, and we fell asleep quickly. DH finished the meal with DS.

(By the way...this reminded me about my meal from the night before...in St. Thomas...for that night, I had had shrimp cocktail (yum) and an absolutely FANTASTIC pan fried red snapper. If you haven't tried it, you definitely should! DH had veal parmesan and said it was good as well, but the snapper had to be better. DD kept "tasting" it as well, and she liked it enough that she asked for fish the next night, which is what reminded me of this. The fish she got on Wednesday evening was the mahi-mahi, and it did not impress her as much as the snapper. :cool: She is three, though!)

Thank you for the review ... I'm not booked on the Dream, but your review caught my eye. The itinerary sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to check out the Dream for my next cruise! Can't wait to read about your sea days and life onboard!

Thank you so much for this review! My family did the Dream in January and I feel like I am reliving my vacation!

We did things a little different... Hilton in Nassau - private beach reasonably priced and super close to the boat. $40 per adult but you got $30 in free food/drinks. I highly recommend it!

Godfrey in St.Thomas - which was fantastic except they told us the banana daiquiri place burned down so either they rebuilt fairly quickly or we were lied to. Hmm?:confused:

Bernard in St. Maarten - not so great - 7 of us were stuffed into a van with no opening windows for the island tour but my impression of Orient beach was TOTALLY different. I thought it was the best beach ever and I thought it was so much better that Magen's. Funny how two people can do the same thing and feel completely different about it.

Your review is great! I appreciate how you tell it like it is - not overly critical but just honest! Can't wait for more! :D

Thank you so much for this review! My family did the Dream in January and I feel like I am reliving my vacation!

We did things a little different... Hilton in Nassau - private beach reasonably priced and super close to the boat. $40 per adult but you got $30 in free food/drinks. I highly recommend it!

Godfrey in St.Thomas - which was fantastic except they told us the banana daiquiri place burned down so either they rebuilt fairly quickly or we were lied to. Hmm?:confused:

Bernard in St. Maarten - not so great - 7 of us were stuffed into a van with no opening windows for the island tour but my impression of Orient beach was TOTALLY different. I thought it was the best beach ever and I thought it was so much better that Magen's. Funny how two people can do the same thing and feel completely different about it.

Your review is great! I appreciate how you tell it like it is - not overly critical but just honest! Can't wait for more! :D

LOVING this review! I've been tuned in for a few days, and actually woke up today, turned on the pc, and looked for the latest episode :)

Oh and yes, the banana daquiri (sp?) place -- called Mountaintop -- did burn down in '09. They planned to rebuild it. Is it rebuilt already?

Sorry I've disappeared for a bit. My sister and I rented an oceanfront cottage in Emerald Isle, NC for the week, and Internet service is spotty at best (plus we have kept busy). I'll try to tell all about our two days at sea as soon as possible!

Happy Independence day!!!

Great start......MORE please :D we are sailing on the Dream Aug 14th and I have become a Dream Junkie :p

We sailed the Dream on May 15th and I have nothing negative to say about our cruise. It was fantastic.

The food.. the servers..the crew and the ship lived up to expectations.

No one in our group was disappointed.

The ship is huge and very beautiful.

Have a great cruise.

We were on Deck 8.. balcony. mid ship.

I do have pictures but have not posted yet.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Dream. You won't be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We were on one of the Dream's cruises from Manhattan...since we live about 20 mins. from the cruise terminal, before she relocated to FL. I have spent the past 1 1/2 hours reading and LOVING your review. Your children are precious. Just found this but how come you STOPPED??? BTW, from others I have it on good authority that you DO NOT order the beef stroganoff...everyone HATES it, so it wasn't just you....hmmm.....I am wondering if maybe from your last post if there is another little cruiser on the way?? :rolleyes:

Archived