Transportaion From Ship to Vancouver Airport

Rapunsel

Hello! On the Ryndam on Aug 8th-15th, 2010 And I am trying to plan the best way to get 6 of us to the airport from our ship.

We plan on doing the express check out and have them 'hopefully' be able to transfer our bags. as they said it is not always a guarantee there.

I am looking into transporting the gang via the Monarail. As it is cost effective, $2.50 pp. No traffic to worry about and a scenic route. I think we have a 1pm flight to LAX. ANd we dock at 7am.

Has anyone tried this????

I am also hoping to meet up with a friend I met at age 15 on my 1st crusie as she lives in Vancouver and we haven't seen each other since...

TIA!

:)

Hi Rapunsel, we got off the Volendam recently and caught the train to the airport in Vancouver, it was really easy and needless to say cheap.

We docked at 7am, we were first off the ship at 7:15am we carried our own bags off the ship and though customs/immigration. Then just walked out onto the street, walked a short distance to the train station, bought tickets in the machine, boarded the train, and we were at the airport at 9am. Not a really scenic route, as some of the trip is underground. There were no hassles using this transport to the airport.

Cheers

Norpet

Hello! On the Ryndam on Aug 8th-15th, 2010 And I am trying to plan the best way to get 6 of us to the airport from our ship.

We plan on doing the express check out and have them 'hopefully' be able to transfer our bags. as they said it is not always a guarantee there.

I am looking into transporting the gang via the Monarail. As it is cost effective, $2.50 pp. No traffic to worry about and a scenic route. I think we have a 1pm flight to LAX. ANd we dock at 7am.

I am also hoping to meet up with a friend I met at age 15 on my 1st crusie as she lives in Vancouver and we haven't seen each other since...

TIA!

You could ask your friend to meet you at the arrivals at Canada Place and walk to the Skytrain station with her and she can join you to the airport. As the other poster said its a short walk once you walk out of the parkade at Canada Place. The first Skytrain station you'll see when you walk outside on the left side of the street. Keep walking. I haven't taken the RAV line to the airport but the entrance to that is apparently around the corner. The machines take cash, credit, or debit cards. There are no people cashiers selling tickets. My husband and I have transported ourselves and our luggage several times on the Skytrain after taking a cruise. As long as everyone is able bodied and can manage their own luggage you'll be OK. Perhaps someone can chime in who's actually gone on the RAV line, but the sky train line I take has no elevators and no escalators so we have to physically bump our suitcases down the staircase to the train platform. It makes me wonder how handicapped people can get down there. I'm sure there must be a way but it wasn't marked.

TIA!

We used the Canada Line metro to get from the airport to our hotel close to the Canada Place cruise terminal. You can either walk about 4 blocks with your suitcases or take a cab to the Waterfront Station for the Canada Line at Granville street and go from there very quickly and easily.

Do not confuse the Waterfront station for the suburban "Sky Way" line which is a lot closer to the cruise terminal. It is unfortunate the airport Canada Line last stop is not right next to the Canada Place terminal so it will be your choice to walk or find a cab to take your group those few blocks to the station.

One does see other people wheeling their suitcase between the two transfer points in this part of this lovely city so it is not an unusual choice to walk (slightly up hill) with your bags in downtown Vancouver.

Caution: Do not confuse the suburban skytrain with the canada line that is the only line that goes to the airport.

Two different lines and two different terminals near the cruise ship terminal, going in two different directions.

You want the canada line; not the skytrain.

you could ask your friend to meet you at the arrivals at canada place and walk to the skytrain station with her and she can join you to the airport. As the other poster said its a short walk once you walk out of the parkade at canada place. The first skytrain station you'll see when you walk outside on the left side of the street. Keep walking. I haven't taken the rav line to the airport but the entrance to that is apparently around the corner. The machines take cash, credit, or debit cards. There are no people cashiers selling tickets. My husband and i have transported ourselves and our luggage several times on the skytrain after taking a cruise. As long as everyone is able bodied and can manage their own luggage you'll be ok. Perhaps someone can chime in who's actually gone on the rav line, but the sky train line i take has no elevators and no escalators so we have to physically bump our suitcases down the staircase to the train platform. It makes me wonder how handicapped people can get down there. I'm sure there must be a way but it wasn't marked.

can you give me an idea if there are elevators/escalators and how easy it is to transport luggage using the train to/from the cruise terminal?

We can pull/push our luggage, but not necessarily "heave" it!

Thanks.

p.s. when we arrive in Vancouver going to Hyatt Regency pre-cruise.

So, also interested in ease of transporting luggage to there as well as on the return from the cruise ship. Sure would save $$$!

can you give me an idea if there are elevators/escalators and how easy it is to transport luggage using the train to/from the cruise terminal?

We can pull/push our luggage, but not necessarily "heave" it!

Thanks.

p.s. when we arrive in Vancouver going to Hyatt Regency pre-cruise.

So, also interested in ease of transporting luggage to there as well as on the return from the cruise ship. Sure would save $$$!

It is easy to roll your luggage from the cruise terminal which is level and up a ramp to the street level, up 4 blocks on sidewalks with curb cuts to the end station for the Canadaline. There you can find the elevator because the only escalator at the Granville Street exit goes up rather than down into the station which is the way you will be wanting to go. People on the streets are very helpful but best if you go online for Canada Line info and location maps for each station.

It is super easy at the airport with good signage that will take you from the station, down some escalators to cross the street to the airport check in. There are also electronic check-in kiosks in the Canada Line stations to get your boarding passes before you get to the airport.

Keep in mind Vancouver just had the Winter Olympics so there were a lot of tourist transportation amenities put in because they wanted to be good hosts, and they were. Canada Line from the airport to downtown was completed just for this purpose.

It is a model for tourism friendly public transportation with just this little missing link between the end of the Canada Line and direct access to the cruise terminal at Canada Place - the four block missing gap. But it does get you outside on their downtown streets and a good glimpse of their lovely downtown. (And a few annoying "friendly" vagrants who like to engage tourists and give them directions - ignore them)

Caution: Do not confuse the suburban skytrain with the canada line that is the only line that goes to the airport.

Two different lines and two different terminals near the cruise ship terminal, going in two different directions.

You want the canada line; not the skytrain.

Actually, Skytrain is the name of the light rapid rail service in Vancouver. Canada Line is the newest route within the Skytrain network. So Canada Line IS also Skytrain! Just sayin’ :cool::cool:

Lotsa helpful route info here: http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line.aspx

I have taken the Canada Line out to YVR a couple of times and as recently as Saturday. If you can handle all of your own luggage and have a resonable degree of mobility it works lke a charm. As you exit Canada Place you will see a red brick building on you left...that is Waterfront Station. Walk up the Howe St. ramp and resist the temptation to take the escalator from the ramp to the SkyTrain, it will get you on the wrong level of the Station. It is best to proceed up the ramp to Cordova St. turn left and walk to the first entrance of the station. Once inside you will see signage directing you to some escalators and an elevator on your left. The fare machines will accept CDN cash, credit cards or ATM cards. The trains to YVR come along evey 6 minutes and it takes 26 mins to get out there. Once at YVR there is very clear signage...domestic to the left and international to the right. The cars are designed to handle people with luggage, the bags will fit under seats and in the aisle.

I have taken the Canada Line out to YVR a couple of times and as recently as Saturday. If you can handle all of your own luggage and have a resonable degree of mobility it works lke a charm. As you exit Canada Place you will see a red brick building on you left...that is Waterfront Station. Walk up the Howe St. ramp and resist the temptation to take the escalator from the ramp to the SkyTrain, it will get you on the wrong level of the Station. It is best to proceed up the ramp to Cordova St. turn left and walk to the first entrance of the station. Once inside you will see signage directing you to some escalators and an elevator on your left. The fare machines will accept CDN cash, credit cards or ATM cards. The trains to YVR come along evey 6 minutes and it takes 26 mins to get out there. Once at YVR there is very clear signage...domestic to the left and international to the right. The cars are designed to handle people with luggage, the bags will fit under seats and in the aisle.

Is the canada line the train or the monirail.....

Actually, Skytrain is the name of the light rapid rail service in Vancouver. Canada Line is the newest route within the Skytrain network. So Canada Line IS also Skytrain! Just sayin’ :cool::cool:

Lotsa helpful route info here: http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line.aspx

!00% correct my friend, however do not argue with the great, fantastic "Swissmyst" as this fountain of knowledge knows all. There was a quote in a movie a number of years ago, "a legend in her his/her own mind" that pretty much sums it all up.;)

I was at Canada Place today, and took the Canada Line back to my residential area. I used the entrance to the subway system that is closest to Canada Place. The escalator takes you down one level, where you buy your tickets. Then there is a staircase down a level, where you would have to pull your luggage. Then you are on the platform for a line that you don't want, but there is an elevator at the very end of the platform, which brings you up one level, you turn right, go out into the main concourse level, follow the signs for the Canada Line, and there is another elevator to take you down to the level for the Canada Line train. Then you can just roll your luggage along until you get to the area for the train.

It is unfortunate the airport Canada Line last stop is not right next to the Canada Place terminal so it will be your choice to walk or find a cab to take your group those few blocks to the station.

Unfortunately, Rapunsel, if your group has 6 people, you will need 2 cabs. I called several companies last summer, to transport our group of 6 downtown to Canada Place for our cruise (before the Canada Line was completed,) but no cab would take more than 4 people.

Thanks for the correction. My error.

Is the canada line the train or the monirail.....

It is one in the same. There is no separate 'monorail' system, or other 'train'. As explained, the SkyTrain is the WHOLE rapid transit system in Vancouver. "CanadaLine", is the portion of that network that connects from the airport (YVR) and the Waterfront Station, which is the destination for the cruiseship terminal at Canada Place. Hope this helps.

It is one in the same. There is no separate 'monorail' system, or other 'train'. As explained, the SkyTrain is the WHOLE rapid transit system in Vancouver. "CanadaLine", is the portion of that network that connects from the airport (YVR) and the Waterfront Station, which is the destination for the cruiseship terminal at Canada Place. Hope this helps.

The confusion comes because there is another terminal near Canada Place that does not go out to the airport.

You have to make sure you are looking at the right terminal "near" Canada Place to find you way to the airport line. It is a walk of several blocks, slightly up hill from ship terminal Canada Place to the airport Canada Line.

This is the tricky part. There is a closer "skytrain" terminal to Canada Place, but it does not go out to the airport. We got misdirections saying there was a direct connection underground from the Canada Line to the Fairmont Hotel entrance. But this did not exist.

However, I think there is an underground Fairmont hotel entrance to the other suburban "skytrain" line. Thus the potential for confusion. And the hope that our own mistakes can be used to educate others who want to makes the same, convenient but not perfect use of the Canada Line to Canada Place.

Skytrain has 3 lines, the Canada Line to the airport, the Expo line, and the Millennium line. There is one terminal, Waterfront Station, with different entrances and exits. The three lines can be reached underground from the entrance closest to Canada Place.

Skytrain has 3 lines' date=' the Canada Line to the airport, the Expo line, and the Millennium line. There is one terminal, Waterfront Station, with different entrances and exits. The three lines can be reached underground from the entrance closest to Canada Place.[/quote']

You will have to walk blocks underground to make these connections. Locals told us it was easier to walk above ground to get from Canada Line to Canada Place. If you want to try and find this underground connection, do not take the Granville Street exit once you get off the Canada Line, because the escalator out only goes up, and not down.

The Fairmont Hotel told us there was no underground connection from their hotel to the airport Canada Line. Be aware this is not as simple as it has been presented. Bring a very good map of the city and the Canada Line station and be sure you find your way carefully before you try to exit from the airport Canada Line. Be sure you ask if it looks confusing once you get off the airport Canada Line. It will.

If you do mistakenly take the Granville Street exit from the airport Canada Line, turn left and go a block or so and then turn right and go down towards the water on the street that directly goes to Canada Line.

Here is a good map to help you sort all these different stops, exits, lines and destinations out: http://wiki.worldflicks.org/canada_line_-_waterfront_station_(underground).html#coords=(49.2862657750366,-123.11287343502045)&z=18

You will have to walk blocks underground to make these connections. Locals told us it was easier to walk above ground to get from Canada Line to Canada Place.

All three lines including the Canada Line leave from the same terminal, Waterfront Station. The issue is if you are taking the Canada Line out to YVR and you use the access off the Howe St. ramp from Canada Place you will find yourself on the wrong level and the wrong part of the station for the Canada Line....and while it is not a impossible situation it is a tad confusing. So one is better off to walk up the the Howe St. ramp to Cordova St. turn left and walk on the street to Waterfront Station once inside the station you will see signage directing you to the Canada Line on the left...there is both an escaltor and an elevator to take you down to the Canada Line platform.

Archived